Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Meursault wrote: »
    That would actually be awesome. It’s a big ugly eyesore, as is. I don’t think it would cost too much to give it a lick of paint. If they went with a huge “This is Cork” message, all the better

"A city rising is a beautiful thing" in big bold white letter on red background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Almost anything would be better than what the R&H Hall currently is; it's more like something you'd see as you enter Chernobyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

The planning files are up for the planned works to Merchants Quay.

The file number is 1938262

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1938262/0

For permission... to carry out changes to upgrade the Merchants Quay Shopping Centre, 1-5 St. Patrick's Street, and Merchants Quay, Cork. The changes involve alterations to the elevations on the St. Patrick's Street and part of the Merchants Quay frontages. Permission is also sought for the change of use of the former Kylemore restaurant at first floor level to a licensed restaurant with a new direct pedestrian access from St. Patricks Street, which will incorporate a new access lift, and all necessary site works, including reconfiguration of existing fire escape stair, and plant area at roof level.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Horrendous, cheap, totally out of sink with the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

While I think I prefer the old renders for what it was meant to be, the new one is still better then whats there today. It wasn't even a Georgian building in the first place, it was knocked and rebuilt with red brick and it just doesn't look nice at all imo. Much prefer that render to what is there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hate those big white rendered walls - within 5 years it will be covered in green and brown streaks and look awful

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd like for R&H Hall to be painted completely red, with a big 'This is Cork' written on all the sides of it. Or maybe the Cork crest put on it and white background.

That would be pretty expensive but would be something different and unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That render for Merchants Quay is hideous. Red brocket is bad but that’s much worse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sisk appointed for Crows Nest student accommodation development

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1098929264269946880

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

marno21 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1098929264269946880

I predict either a) Delay b) Budget blown or c) Both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Tomtom364 wrote: »

But this is SISK, Not BAM :p

But this is SISK, Not BAM :p

*Cough* PUC *Cough*

I predict nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

*Cough* PUC *Cough*
    When someone on the govering body gets handed a major part of the contract we can start making that comparison...

TheChizler wrote: »
    When someone on the govering body gets handed a major part of the contract we can start making that comparison...

Well that's not a lone reason for thinking the project will fair.
    The tender SISK provided was significantly lower then all others. Will be impressive if they are able to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

marno21 wrote: »

That area is going to be very built-up in the next few years. The development above has 3 10 floor towers and one shorter (8 maybe?). The Coca Cola site development - if built - is even bigger, and the County Hall in between.

who_me wrote: »
    That area is going to be very built-up in the next few years. The development above has 3 10 floor towers and one shorter (8 maybe?). The Coca Cola site development - if built - is even bigger, and the County Hall in between.

As it’s student apartments you’d imagine I wouldn’t attract much extra traffic thankfully.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As it’s student apartments you’d imagine I wouldn’t attract much extra traffic thankfully.

Possibly even traffic reductions with less need for some students to commute

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭mrpdap

Regarding the R&H Hall building, there are infinite possibilities for a good artist and a bag of (spray) cans
    http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2011/03/extreme-murals-painted-buildings.html?m=1

Hah, not too sure any more. Last time I was out in CIT things had changed dramatically since I studied there. The student carpark is huge - back in my day hardly anyone I knew there had a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

who_me wrote: »
    Hah, not too sure any more. Last time I was out in CIT things had changed dramatically since I studied there. The student carpark is huge - back in my day hardly anyone I knew there had a car.

Yep. I'm currently studying there and loads drive, mostly due to the fact that the 205 is rubbish and completely unreliable. You'd be waiting 40+ mins somedays for a supposed 15-min frequency service, and 4 buses turn up together in a convoy. Such a shame because it adds massively to the already bad traffic jams there each morning and evening.

Yep. I'm currently studying there and loads drive, mostly due to the fact that the 205 is rubbish and completely unreliable. You'd be waiting 40+ mins somedays for a supposed 15-min frequency service, and 4 buses turn up together in a convoy. Such a shame because it adds massively to the already bad traffic jams there each morning and evening.

There is still (I assume) the 208, but the nearest stop is several hundred metres away.

Can't blame anyone in the slightest for driving when the bus frequency is every 40+ minutes.

Happy weekend all. Great to watch this view develop on this thread.

https://twitter.com/RaymondFogarty/status/1098928880453324800

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Apogee

Permission for alterations to 4 no. residential over ground floor blocks containing 216 no. 'Build-to-Rent' units as permitted under TP 17/37763 as part of the redevelopment of a site at Horgan's Quay, Railway Street, Lower Glanmire Road, Cork as a mixed use development. The proposed alterations include modifications to the internal and external configuration of the permitted residential development to provide for a single conventional apartment building ranging in height from 7 to 10m floors over ground floor and which is an increase in height from the 6 to 10 floors over ground floor permitted. At ground floor level, changes will include the relocation of the cre to the corner of Railway Street and Alfred Street and an increase in its size from 189m2 to 206m2, reduction in the area afforded to ancillary ESB Station, switch rooms, meter rooms, and ancillary service areas to accommodate an increase in facilities management and ancillary amenities for the residents of 400m2, reorganisation, relocation and increase in area of the 5 no. retail units from 1,139m2 to 1,265m2. The alterations to the ground floor also make provision for a decrease in the number of parking spaces and for the increase and relocation of bicycle parking. At upper levels it is proposed to amalgamate the 4 no. residential blocks into a single apartment building and internal alterations will result in an increase of 86 no. apartments to a total of 302 apartments. Alterations to the Old Railway Station (Station Master's Building) includes its refurbishment, partial demolition and change of use to provide for ancillary amenities for the residents of the residential building. The proposed development consists of the carrying out of works to a protected structure (PS178) Old Railway Station (Station Master's Building).

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1938265/0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Apogee wrote: »
    Permission for alterations to 4 no. residential over ground floor blocks containing 216 no. 'Build-to-Rent' units as permitted under TP 17/37763 as part of the redevelopment of a site at Horgan's Quay, Railway Street, Lower Glanmire Road, Cork as a mixed use development. The proposed alterations include modifications to the internal and external configuration of the permitted residential development to provide for a single conventional apartment building ranging in height from 7 to 10m floors over ground floor and which is an increase in height from the 6 to 10 floors over ground floor permitted. At ground floor level, changes will include the relocation of the cre to the corner of Railway Street and Alfred Street and an increase in its size from 189m2 to 206m2, reduction in the area afforded to ancillary ESB Station, switch rooms, meter rooms, and ancillary service areas to accommodate an increase in facilities management and ancillary amenities for the residents of 400m2, reorganisation, relocation and increase in area of the 5 no. retail units from 1,139m2 to 1,265m2. The alterations to the ground floor also make provision for a decrease in the number of parking spaces and for the increase and relocation of bicycle parking. At upper levels it is proposed to amalgamate the 4 no. residential blocks into a single apartment building and internal alterations will result in an increase of 86 no. apartments to a total of 302 apartments. Alterations to the Old Railway Station (Station Master's Building) includes its refurbishment, partial demolition and change of use to provide for ancillary amenities for the residents of the residential building. The proposed development consists of the carrying out of works to a protected structure (PS178) Old Railway Station (Station Master's Building).

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1938265/0

86 extra apartments to 302 total, increase in size for retail units, decrease in parking, increase in bike parking. All sounds good and suitable for that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

@snotboogie

Hopefully this whole block will sell in the new year and add to the list of major developments.

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/moores-hotel-morrisons-quay-cork-city-cork/4275730

Spotted the 'Sale Agreed' sign on the block today, looking forward to seeing what gets built there. Given the state of the old Moores Hotel, it's unlikely to be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

I think many of them actually believe that Glanmire is rural. Can't accept they don't live in a village any more.

That development seems to have been refused permission very quickly given how slowly the wheels turn for others.

Midleton's Ballinacurra development refused planning

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

opus wrote: »
    That development seems to have been refused permission very quickly given how slowly the wheels turn for others.

Midleton's Ballinacurra development refused planning

It went direct to ABP

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

opus wrote: »
    Spotted the 'Sale Agreed' sign on the block today, looking forward to seeing what gets built there. Given the state of the old Moores Hotel, it's unlikely to be worse!

What are the chances of getting Some residential in whatever is built there? Maybe 4 floors of offices and 3/4 residential. We need more residential in the city center so people can live and work there minus the driving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

86 extra apartments to 302 total, increase in size for retail units, decrease in parking, increase in bike parking. All sounds good and suitable for that site.

Very interesting to see that the developer wants to increase the number of residential units. Potentially positive indication about viability of residential accommodation in the Docklands. My only concern is that this is now being described as a single conventional apartment building. Replacing four blocks. I'm worried that this will just be one big lump rather than something interesting in urban design terms.

Advertisement