Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Are these parking spaces facing the wrong direction?

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Generally speaking they are awful looking yokes.
    The only new development that I like is the Capitol, which at least makes an attempt to blend into the surrounding buildings.

I also like the Capitol development, but there are no rules in the world of planning and design which stipulate that new developments need to 'blend in'. New buildings should be allowed to set their own context.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Not if you reverse into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I like the way the wall on the right still has the grubby looking graffiti. Very fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I like the way the wall on the right still has the grubby looking graffiti. Very fancy.

That whole area and the R&H building should be the next to go. Absolute eyesore, like something out of North Korea or Soviet Russia. Is it actually an abandoned building or is there something going on in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

The new student hub in UCC is starting to take shape, pics from a lunchtime walk.

473630.jpg
    473631.jpg

Also passed the new bridge for the Bons on my way back.

473632.jpg

Whoever said the newish UCC pedestrian bridge from Western Rd was ugly was spot on, it really is hideous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That UCC Bridge is already starting to look grubby too.... Terrible idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

That UCC Bridge is already starting to look grubby too.... Terrible idea!

That's not a UCC bridge. It is part of the Bons hospital. It replaced an older bridge and it links a surface car park for the Bons on the south side of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

satanta99 wrote: »
    That's not a UCC bridge. It is part of the Bons hospital. It replaced an older bridge and it links a surface car park for the Bons on the south side of the river.
    There's a new UCC bridge between Perrott's Inch and the lower grounds.

PIComp002-725x254.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

TheChizler wrote: »
    There's a new UCC bridge between Perrott's Inch and the lower grounds.

PIComp002-725x254.jpg

It looks great from the Western Road and opens up the lower grounds of the campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Snootboogie , any updates on Cork list of developments .

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That whole area and the R&H building should be the next to go. Absolute eyesore, like something out of North Korea or Soviet Russia. Is it actually an abandoned building or is there something going on in there?

I'm not sure.

Wasnt there a fire in the building years ago, I assumed it was pretty much ear marked for demolition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I’ll do a full update at the end of March for Q1. Month by month was getting a bit repetitive. I think we’ll see a fair bit of action over the next 5 or 6 weeks so it should be a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

snotboogie wrote: »

I’ll do a full update at the end of March for Q1. Month by month was getting a bit repetitive. I think we’ll see a fair bit of action over the next 5 or 6 weeks so it should be a good one!

You give great updates. I'm sure many like myself appriciate your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The Evening Echo do the development updates a lot better, though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭RINO87

Speaking of the docks, does anyone know if there are any plans for the old Odlums building? The big red-brick warehouse just passed Southern Milling, which to answer an earlier question, is still in Operation.

The odlums building used to have an "earmark for demolition" banner on it, but that's gone now. It's a beautiful building, would be a crying shame to see it knocked, would make really cool apartments if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

RINO87 wrote: »
    Speaking of the docks, does anyone know if there are any plans for the old Odlums building? The big red-brick warehouse just passed Southern Milling, which to answer an earlier question, is still in Operation.

The odlums building used to have an "earmark for demolition" banner on it, but that's gone now. It's a beautiful building, would be a crying shame to see it knocked, would make really cool apartments if done right.

Really? I would knock the whole lot. Find Oldlums and Southern Milling a horrible entrance to Cork. That whole area has so much potential for high rise apartments, offices, hotels, bars, boardwalk etc... That would be then mirrored by the same in Tivoli. The future is bright if the nimbys/an taisce can be defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

snotboogie wrote: »

Looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭RINO87

Really? I would knock the whole lot. Find Oldlums and Southern Milling a horrible entrance to Cork. That whole area has so much potential for high rise apartments, offices, hotels, bars, boardwalk etc... That would be then mirrored by the same in Tivoli. The future is bright if the nimbys/an taisce can be defeated.

yeah, something about that building. Actually think it looks good from the opposite side of the river, the rest I agree is a mess.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I agree, I really love the Odlums building as well. I love the view of it from Horgan's Quay. If done properly I think it could make a good apartment complex. They've done fantastic work in places like Hamburg in turning old brick warehouses into apartment buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Frostybrew

It's currently in use as a grain silo. It might also be a protected structure. I've seen it on a list of buildings of architectural merit. It would be great to see it repurposed along similar lines to the Gateshead Baltic Flour Mill.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm not sure.

Wasnt there a fire in the building years ago, I assumed it was pretty much ear marked for demolition?

That was one of the other silo buildings. Huge fire in 2006 or 2007. There used to be five silo buildings, but three were knocked after the fire.

The Odlums building is a protected structure or at least the front of it is. Much of the building was knocked recently, but the facade is protected as it has an unusual design. The lower section was built first in the style of a 19th century mill with the upper section added much later with a very different "art deco style". It's very visually striking up close and would be a considerable loss to the cities' industrial architectural heritage if demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

They knocked the mill at the back of the odlums building, it's just the facade that's left (I think).

Yeah it's rundown, but theres no need to knock it...it can be used in a new development, as was the front of navigation house, parts of hogan's Quay, lavitts Quay Ect..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I would really, really hate to see R&H Hall go.
    For me, it's an iconic Cork building with an ugly beauty.
    It could be repurposed.

But then, I liked the old government buildings/sample studios, too. I miss that building.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It could be repurposed.

But then, I liked the old government buildings/sample studios, too. I miss that building.

To me it's like Cork's equivalent of the Poolbeg chimney stacks in Dublin. Industrial beauty. I can see why a lot of people would tear the place down but I hope they find some way of integrating it into the new docklands.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Public meeting in relation to the planned Burj Khalifa replica in Glanmire

https://twitter.com/oliver_moran/status/1097986616596070400

How rare of the Green Party to be getting involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

marno21 wrote: »

over 4 stories? What a disgrace. How dare they.

It could be repurposed.

There's a number of buildings in the Docklands which should remain. I'd also include the Marina generating station, and part of the fords building. Luckily the bonded warehouses future is secure with it's preservation order. The beauty of the docklands site is: because of it's size there is ample space for both modern new development, while still retaining some of the older structures.

Cork as a city has always had a rich industrial heritage which sets it apart from the Republic's other cities, which were really just large rural market towns. Even Dublin's main industries (Guinness, Jacobs) were a by product of agriculture and, as a city, it didn't begin to industrialise in a traditional sense until the 1960s.

It's a history that is only now starting to be celebrated, and preserving structures such as R&H Hall and Odlums would be a valid part of that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

marno21 wrote: »

Take away from the character of Glanmire? The character of Glanmire is basically just tree's and housing estates. As long as trees aren't being pulled down everywhere I wouldnt be too concerned. What is worrying though is the road infrastructure. They need to make a start on those plans before the consider building any more developments

Take away from the character of Glanmire? The character of Glanmire is basically just tree's and housing estates. As long as trees aren't being pulled down everywhere I wouldnt be too concerned. What is worrying though is the road infrastructure. They need to make a start on those plans before the consider building any more developments

Yes, the infrastructural improvements need to begin immediately. I don't have a problem with the height. An area of concern would be the 102 car spaces for just 66 apartments. Presumably these are also for the commercial element to the project, but it doesn't set a responsible marker for sustainable transport. Especially as the development is on a planned cycle route and a soon to be high frequency bus route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If the Ballinglanna development was ok wrt road infrastructure I fail to see how this apartment block is the straw that breaks the camels back.

Realistically, improved bus corridors, better cycling facilities and probably some sort of train station in Dunkettle area with lots of bike spaces and maybe car parking spaces is what's needed

Advertisement