Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭rounders

these new proposed stations at blarney for example, will they be just on the cork mallow line.

Will blarney to midleton be a route or will it mean changing trains at kent station ?

One caveat to the funding announcement, it's only the upgrade to the lines and signalling to facilitate the opening of the stations. The stations aren't actually expected to be completed by 2026 or at least not at the moment with the funding being made available

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I don't get the beef people have with Justin! What he's saying is correct. He clearly doesn't enjoy the fact that Cork has gone this way.

Nobody is going to convince me that Cork is being managed and patrolled correctly. It's a case study in neglect, ranging from the basics (illegal parking) to the criminal (400+ and counting empty decaying homes).

We all want Cork city centre to be a fantastic place. At the moment, it's not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Mardyke wrote: »
    I don't get the beef people have with Justin! What he's saying is correct. He clearly doesn't enjoy the fact that Cork has gone this way.

Nobody is going to convince me that Cork is being managed and patrolled correctly. It's a case study in neglect, ranging from the basics (illegal parking) to the criminal (400+ and counting empty decaying homes).

We all want Cork city centre to be a fantastic place. At the moment, it's not.

exactly....i dont want my home to be the way it is.
    It seems like a case of attack the messenger (poster) for pointing out what is glaringly obvious in the city.

What impression will the tourists take home ?

This notion that mentioning these facts is done to get a rise is a sure sign of defensive mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭thomil

Rollout of "Parklets" by Cork City Council & partners is continuing. One has just been set up in Ballincollig, still waiting to be planted though.

https://twitter.com/BallincolligTT/status/1400385683743821830?s=20

I hope it's okay to interrupt the interpersonal bickering session for some actual developments, even if it's on a small scale.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

thomil wrote: »
    Rollout of "Parklets" by Cork City Council & partners is continuing. One has just been set up in Ballincollig, still waiting to be planted though.

https://twitter.com/BallincolligTT/status/1400385683743821830?s=20

I hope it's okay to interrupt the interpersonal bickering session for some actual developments, even if it's on a small scale.

That's really cool. Will be great to see more

• Advertisement

Don't attack me, but......!

I think the parklets are amazing. Amazing in places like Sullivans Quay and Douglas St. Etc. Where there is very little footpath space.

But that location in ballincollig has acres of space for a few benches. No?

There'll be no attack coming from me ;) It's a valid point to a certain degree. However, I think it's just easier to install a parklet than ripping open the pavement to install a few benches.

Besides, it's not as if Ballincollig has a shortage of car parking spaces, even if the shrill caterwauling of certain suburban demographics on Facebook indicates otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My main issue with parklets like this is the close proximity to traffic and in this instance idling traffic. I dont personally find it relaxing or appealling to sit within yards of running vehicle engines eating or drinking a coffee or meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭airy fairy

My main issue with parklets like this is the close proximity to traffic and in this instance idling traffic. I dont personally find it relaxing or appealling to sit within yards of running vehicle engines eating or drinking a coffee or meal.

There's no need for these in Ballincollig of all places, not on a main street in the middle of two lanes of traffic that can stall and idle regularly. Not really pleasant for even a coffee
    If they are really needed, the walkways all around the apartment areas in proximity to the shopping centre would be wide enough to take these, and all around the forecourt of Dunnes/Ramen area, and behind the main street is the cinema square which is a safe, wide open space for a good few of these.
    Seems such a waste of finances imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I have been to multiple cities in france and holland, been to berlin, and london, and almost all in this country, and dont see the homeless dosing down as much in the main street as they do in cork.

Ok, you must have been walking around blindfolded to not see the massive social problems there, lots of homeless and junkies in all those places. Gypsies are everywhere in Berlin. In Amsterdam they dump them all the junkies in the suburbs. But sure yea, Cork is the worst in the world.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    Ok, you must have been walking around blindfolded to not see the massive social problems there, lots of homeless and junkies in all those places. Gypsies are everywhere in Berlin. In Amsterdam they dump them all the junkies in the suburbs. But sure yea, Cork is the worst in the world.

Jesus give it a f*****g break!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Princes Street is ready to go for Monday.

The parasols look great. It will look even better when the outdoor furniture is added.

https://twitter.com/CorkPrinces/status/1400729396110057473?s=20

Although this is effectively privatising a public street, there is definitely a positive gain for the city activating a space previously dominated by cars.

Hopefully this model of co-operation between business and local authority could act as a model for other neglected areas of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭airy fairy

satanta99 wrote: »

The parasols look great. It will look even better when the outdoor furniture is added.

Although this is effectively privatising a public street, there is definitely a positive gain for the city activating a space previously dominated by cars.

Hopefully this model of co-operation between business and local authority could act as a model for other neglected areas of the city.

Very little room for pedestrians. Why are they not pitching outside the restaurants that need a canopy, rather than in the middle?
    Looks like it'll become a street only used by those who will eat there, other businesses will be by-passed. And dare I say it, eating fairly overpriced food and drink on that street.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

They have put in raised pedestrian crosswalks and put in signposting for a one way system for pedestrians.

It worked successfully last year.

There is no impact on the pavement, the outdoor dining space is using the road that was previously devoted to parking and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Great to see it being trialled and if it needs refining or improvement that's fine too. As you say so much better than having it used as a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The only quibble I'd have, is they could perhaps have raised the street level a few inches (or lowered the paths) to make it one common surface with no steps up/down. But perhaps as it is now is better, it's one way of making sure the tables & chairs don't intrude onto and block the pedestrian paths on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭macraignil

Not sure if this was posted yet but just found this website detailing plans to make use of the derelict site at the end of Cornmarket street on what is called Kyrl's quay. I pass the vacant space on my walk to work so it will be interesting to see how it is transformed into something useful after just being a sign of neglect in the city centre for so long. Was thinking myself that if it was made into a nice park and another one was built on the site where the old tax office was demolished on Sullivan's quay we would have a vastly improved city centre, with a strip of green running roughly north south from Kyrl's quay on the Shandon area side to the north to Nano Nagle site to the south which would be kept visible from Grand Parade if it were not to be turned into a high rise hotel. Would be a great avenue for tourists and locals to enjoy in my opinion or do we need more high rise developments here as well?

Only noticed the nice view of the Nano Nagle centre when the old tax office building was gone but looks to be in line to be replaced with this which personally I think is missing an opportunity to make Cork city centre a nicer place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The Sullivans Quay Hotel is dependent on the Events Centre so two chances of that ever being built

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Next Wednesday

Oliver Plunkett Street Lower: Road Closure in place from 2000-2300hrs from its junction with Parnell Place to its junction with N27 Custom House Street to facilitate crane lift. (Loftus Crane Hire)

Next Friday

Fr. Matthew Quay: Road Closure in place from 2100-0600hrs from its junction with Parliament Street to its junction with Fr Matthew Street to facilitate a crane lift. (ECC)

Anything good happening?

rounders wrote: »
    Jesus give it a f*****g break!

correct

They want me to keep up the argument so they can then complain about it.
    You cannot win with some people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

They also seem to be ignoring the fact that there used to be trains (maybe still is) that would run straight from Cobh - Mallow before, using Platform 5 in Kent.

I get the need for a new platform but it's not like this was something they've never done before.

What you're saying makes sense on the face of it, but it was not an easy thing for them to do, from what I remember. Some of the Mallow-Cork scheduled trains are the Dublin trains, and those then fill the two-track main platform section, leaving no room for a "straight through" service. I remember being sat on trains for quite a while on that "straight through" schedule and I remember dashing from one train to another on that "straight through" schedule. So they did schedule it, but it wasn't easy for them to run and it wasn't easy for passengers to use.

So they need that "passing loop" to achieve good continuity. I'm not a rail enthusiast, but I'd say they can explain it in more detail on the rail enthusiasts forum, if you're looking for details.

When that's done, you can extend very easily (for instance) the "Blackpool" station through to Cobh and so on. It's a big enabler project for the Cork network, even thought it seems like a reasonably small project.

jackrussel wrote: »
    Next Wednesday

Oliver Plunkett Street Lower: Road Closure in place from 2000-2300hrs from its junction with Parnell Place to its junction with N27 Custom House Street to facilitate crane lift. (Loftus Crane Hire)

Next Friday

Fr. Matthew Quay: Road Closure in place from 2100-0600hrs from its junction with Parliament Street to its junction with Fr Matthew Street to facilitate a crane lift. (ECC)

Anything good happening?

Unless they've already cleared the site for the new hostel behind the bus station, the only site down there that would need a crane would be the Prism site if I'm not mistaken.

As for Father Matthew Quay, your guess is as good as mine, I have no idea if there are any projects planned for that particular area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

macraignil wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted yet but just found this website detailing plans to make use of the derelict site at the end of Cornmarket street on what is called Kyrl's quay. I pass the vacant space on my walk to work so it will be interesting to see how it is transformed into something useful after just being a sign of neglect in the city centre for so long. Was thinking myself that if it was made into a nice park and another one was built on the site where the old tax office was demolished on Sullivan's quay we would have a vastly improved city centre, with a strip of green running roughly north south from Kyrl's quay on the Shandon area side to the north to Nano Nagle site to the south which would be kept visible from Grand Parade if it were not to be turned into a high rise hotel. Would be a great avenue for tourists and locals to enjoy in my opinion or do we need more high rise developments here as well?

Only noticed the nice view of the Nano Nagle centre when the old tax office building was gone but looks to be in line to be replaced with this which personally I think is missing an opportunity to make Cork city centre a nicer place.

Yeah, I'd love to see that O'Sullivan's Quay site being used as a park or plaza. It's in private ownership now; but as said above, who knows if/when anything will happen with it? Plans for offices and a hotel were approved a long time ago and nothing's happening with it.

There are some ambitious sounding plans for the nearby area (Grand Parade, new boardwalk, new plaza approximately where the car-park is now near South gate bridge) so perhaps the need for more public space in the area isn't great. I wouldn't mind something a bit more appealing than the proposed development anyway.

jackrussel wrote: »
    Next Wednesday

Next Friday

Anything good happening?

For Fr. Matthews Quay, possibly the Moores Hotel site? Said to be opened by 2023 so I guess they would need to start soon. It's technically Morrisons Island though

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40091054.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

On your first point I would say its opening the street to much more of the public as it was previously monopolised by private property I.e. motor vehicles with no benefit to the area or general public.

On second point, couldn't agree more. I hope to see this replicated around the city and the country. Outside space like this should be for people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If they want to make the city centre to be more pedestrian friendly and disincentivise car use there, I can think of no simpler, cost-effective and inobtrusive way than adjusting the pedestrian lights to minimise the delay for pedestrians.

I've posted about this before, but there is a very long delay for pedestrians on some busy city centre road crossings: Patrick Street by Porters, the junction of Washington Street and the Grand Parade, and many others. This encourages jay walking and is a safety hazard.

It would make life easier for people walking across town, and also send a gentle but effective signal to car users not to pass through city centre streets as much as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

For Fr. Matthews Quay, possibly the Moores Hotel site? Said to be opened by 2023 so I guess they would need to start soon. It's technically Morrisons Island though

A crane lift could also be needed for any number of reasons, possibly to sure up the old existing Moores hotel building. The developers talked a big game so you never know. Not sure what use one would have on the Prism site, other than constriction.......

Why is it that the majority of people want a safe city, but the city managers don't? Is it that they are thick stupid or are they getting paid off by car companies or developers or the likes?

Mardyke wrote: »
    Why is it that the majority of people want a safe city, but the city managers don't? Is it that they are thick stupid or are they getting paid off by car companies or developers or the likes?

has to be < Insert unsubstantiated claim here >.

They cannot be that stupid to influence enough positioning to get the jobs etc, so now they have them it must be something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

The section that will be closed is from RTE to parliament bridge.

Advertisement