Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Seems site prep is underway at the Coca Cola student site https://twitter.com/WonkyAnkle/status/1405089424904445953?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Someone posted a planning permission sign on the cork subreddit for lidl to go into the spot beside Aldi in Douglas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cork/comments/o27m3b/another_application_by_lidl_after_two_failed/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

jackrussel wrote: »
    Someone posted a planning permission sign on the cork subreddit for lidl to go into the spot beside Aldi in Douglas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cork/comments/o27m3b/another_application_by_lidl_after_two_failed/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

ah here. This makes the spot besides Barrys look the better option.

Surely Douglas and surrounds can't sustain this?
    Grange: Aldi & Supervalu
    Douglas: Tesco & M&S & Dunnes & Aldi (soon) & Iceland
    Skehard Road: SuperValu & Aldi & Aldi (soon)

Not including the Daybreaks and Centras and Tesco Express dotted about.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

At this stage they should just build a combined Aldi and Lidi and put Douglas village inside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Cllr Des Cahill already coming out against it on Twitter. Hopefully others will follow.

The last thing Douglas needs is another bloody supermarket and car park.

ah here. This makes the sport besides Barrys look the better option.

Surely Douglas and surrounds can't sustain this?
    Grange: Aldi & Supervalu
    Douglas: Tesco & M&S & Dunnes & Aldi (soon) & Iceland
    Skehard Road: SuperValu & Aldi & Aldi (soon)

Not including the Daybreaks and Centras and Tesco Express dotted about.

It's not the sustability of the supermarkets I'd be worried about, there is about 30k people living in the immediate area, so plenty of shoppers to go around, it's the sustainability of Douglas that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Apogee

Planning app for 31 apartments on site of old furniture store on Watercourse Rd in Blackpool
    Planning permission for development of this site. The proposed development will consist of the construction of 31 no. apartments over 6 storeys. The proposed works include: -The demolition of a disused commercial building (957 sq.m) - The provision of 31 no. apartments comprised of 19 no. 1 bedroom (1044.4 total sq.) and 12 no 2 bedroom (933.1 total sq. m) apartments - The provision of a ground floor communal gathering space (92.4 sq. m) -The provision of 84 no. Bicycle spaces and 7 no. car parking -Construction of an on-site substation and switch room (20m2) -Landscaping and all ancillary works
    https://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/2140280/0

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

snotboogie wrote: »
    It's not the sustability of the supermarkets I'd be worried about, there is about 30k people living in the immediate area, so plenty of shoppers to go around, it's the sustainability of Douglas that's the issue.

Since the redevelopment of Douglas Village shopping centre I would think that was the end of Douglas Village.
    Actually, go back further, since the development of the now N40 right through the village that was the end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted work has started on the apartment block on Coach St.

556263.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

jackrussel wrote: »

That site would make a perfect community space and park. Douglas doesn't need this. The place is a traffic sewer as it is.

That site would make a perfect community space and park. Douglas doesn't need this. The place is a traffic sewer as it is.

Will never happen. Its privately owned and the site is worth millions which makes it essentially impossible for the city council to buy. Both this and the aldi site are owned by the same party and the fate was sealed when the county council gave planning for the aldi. The four developments around this site; Douglas Court, McDonald's, KFC and Aldi all having no direct street access to the R610 made this entire area a traffic sewer. As maligned as Douglas Village shopping centre is for being ugly (and it is ugly) it at least has direct access to the main street and as a result has huge pedestrian traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A private owner gifting land as a community area?
    Lol. Never happens in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

The water works expansion is taking shape on the Lee Road, as well I noticed CField construction (of the Prism fame) are working on one of the buildings in that awkwardly located clinic further out the road.

556339.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sad to see what Douglas has become. A mass of supermarkets, shopping centres and fast food joints with horrendous traffic. Empty units on the main street and extremely unfriendly for pedestrians or anyone cycling. The park is a bright spot in fairness but otherwise it's grim enough. And just for full disclosure, I grew up in Grange/Douglas and my dad still lives there and it's turned into a traffic hole with shambolic overdevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Douglas is proof that County Councils should not be left control highly urbanised areas. It was the County Council that ultimately left this mess unfold with the City Council now having to sort out the mess.

And yet there was a campaign in Ballincollig to stop the boundary extension….

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Sad to see what Douglas has become. A mass of supermarkets, shopping centres and fast food joints with horrendous traffic. Empty units on the main street and extremely unfriendly for pedestrians or anyone cycling. The park is a bright spot in fairness but otherwise it's grim enough. And just for full disclosure, I grew up in Grange/Douglas and my dad still lives there and it's turned into a traffic hole with shambolic overdevelopment.

But but jobs....

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Meursault

Agree wholeheartedly. Grew up in Douglas also and its a shame to see what has happened it.

Agree with the traffic but there isn't actually that many empty units on the Main Street. There are 3 empty now; the old off licence, the old TSB and the legion of Mary. 3 out of 25 units empty isn't that bad, plus two of the units have major planning permissions going through the city council now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And the TSB was supposed to be occupied by Wetherspoons until the other pubs kicked up a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Douglas has been part of Cork City for probably nearly a century now yet has always been under county council control. It was seen as a place to build loads of houses on the edge of the boundary to make use of all the services and jobs in the city council area without having to provide any of it. shops galore then to get rates. The city council should have got control of one of the biggest parts of the city much longer than 2 years ago. hopefully this lidl planning permission is shot down straight away and a proper masterplan for the remainder of douglas is developed. high density, focus on accomodation and make full use of the proximity to cork city centre just 5 minutes by bus away

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

and make full use of the proximity to cork city centre just 5 minutes by bus away

You expect Douglas people over the age of 20 to use the bus????:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

You expect Douglas people over the age of 20 to use the bus????:eek:

I would be surprised they would even consider going in to the war zone that is the city center

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I would be surprised they would even consider going in to the war zone that is the city center
    What? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What? lol

Don't go there.
    Just smile and nod.

What? lol

I was speaking about walking down the street, avoiding chuggers, beggars tapping you, avoiding junkies or those sleeping in the doorways of empty closed up shops or pray you do not get violent assaulted or stabbed, which happens. This on the MAIN STREET of the city center.
    Are you going to tell me that is not true ?

Try have a sandwich in peace in bishop lucy park with the fine people that inhabit that on occasion.

try walk down some streets like north main street, south main street and washington street and not be worried some building wont collapse on top of you.

avoiding groups of feral youths in the evenings outside the fast food places acting like maggots with not a garda anywhere to be seen.

The city is a dump, and I take no joy in it, in fact it pisses me off its that bad.
    If people really cared like they claim they would not be defending this, but instead people bury their head in the sand and pretend its all fine, the city council are doing a fine job, and everything is rosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

I was speaking about walking down the street, avoiding chuggers, beggars tapping you, avoiding junkies or those sleeping in the doorways of empty closed up shops or pray you do not get violent assaulted or stabbed, which happens. This on the MAIN STREET of the city center.
    Are you going to tell me that is not true ?

Try have a sandwich in peace in bishop lucy park with the fine people that inhabit that on occasion.

try walk down some streets like north main street, south main street and washington street and not be worried some building wont collapse on top of you.

avoiding groups of feral youths in the evenings outside the fast food places acting like maggots with not a garda anywhere to be seen.

The city is a dump, and I take no joy in it, in fact it pisses me off its that bad.
    If people really cared like they claim they would not be defending this, but instead people bury their head in the sand and pretend its all fine, the city council are doing a fine job, and everything is rosy.

We've been through this, seven pages ago. If you want to talk about the issues Cork city has, please open another thrend or run for the city council to try and change it

why should I, who are you to dictate forum policy.
    I am entitled to speak about closed up businesses and the need for development in cork in a thread about cork developments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its a living hell. I nearly tripped over an empty crisp packet there a few days ago. Baxtards!!!

:pac:

Advertisement