Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

A solid tram line and a strong bus network, including feeder buses to tram stops, would be ideal for Cork IMO. Bus lanes aplenty needs to happen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A solid tram line and a strong bus network, including feeder buses to tram stops, would be ideal for Cork IMO. Bus lanes aplenty needs to happen too.

That's basically CMATS and BusConnects. Zero political will to deliver it unfortunately. It's bizarre that in a month or so the Taoiseach and Minister for Finance could be both from Cork and I have zero confidence that they would deliver anything for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭thomil

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Your argument also states that because some traders will kick off that we shouldn't do these things? Basically you're advocating that the tail wags the dog. A proper BRT would require significant road closures, construction etc.

Not necessarily. certainly not for the duration that a light rail system would require. You still don't have to worry about laying tracks and signalling cables, you still avoid stringing catenaries, so any disruption in the city centre would be significantly lower. Outside the city centre, construction would be significantly less intrusive, since you're not necessarily bound to the road network. It would not be cheap, I admit that, but if that's what it takes to get the financing across the line, political buy-in, etc., than it would be much smarter to go with a BRT system rather than insist on a stillborn light rail line.
    I suspect that if a bus is ultimately chosen over LRT in Cork, it'll be a complete fudge job with just a few unsegregated painted bus lanes here and there and everyone will pat themselves on the back, while traffic gets worse.

That would be the result anyway, regardless of which option is chosen. I believe that both the city council and significant parts of the Cork populace are incapable of making sensible decisions for the city. They lack the will and insight to change anything, hell, free parking and shoving more cars down every bloody lane is pretty much the only thing that much of the population seem to call for. The only way you're going to get a decent public transport system in this city is by forcing things against the resistance of the locals.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Once Dunkettle is done, would a third interchange at Dunkettle STRICTLY FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORT ONLY be a good idea, or would that still be bonkers? Ignore the cost of it, just the utility of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Apogee

snotboogie wrote: »
    According to skyscrappercity an 80 apartment development from OCP has started by Lancaster Quay, expect a crane by January. Seems like that randomer on twitter was right, lets hope he was also right about the Prism

Completion of the 88 apartments is expected by December 2020, according to an OCP spokesperson, and apartments will be available for rent in early 2021.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/lazarus-apartments-on-leeside-lancaster-gates-40m-revival-with-88-build-to-rent-units-977098.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

marno21 wrote: »
    ABP have granted permission (with conditions) for the development at the Glenenaar Bar

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/305353.htm

I guess that means my dentist at the corner there will have to find a new place to work out of! It was a handy 5 minute walk from where I live, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Once Dunkettle is done, would a third interchange at Dunkettle STRICTLY FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORT ONLY be a good idea, or would that still be bonkers? Ignore the cost of it, just the utility of it.

To be honest ,it's the only sensible thing to do .. dunkettle is probably the biggest transport hub in cork , and there's no public transport interchange ...
    Was once told by a transport planner in city hall that it's not needed , because you can just come into town and change there .. yeah or I could just drive ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

thomil wrote: »
    Not necessarily. certainly not for the duration that a light rail system would require. You still don't have to worry about laying tracks and signalling cables, you still avoid stringing catenaries, so any disruption in the city centre would be significantly lower. Outside the city centre, construction would be significantly less intrusive, since you're not necessarily bound to the road network. It would not be cheap, I admit that, but if that's what it takes to get the financing across the line, political buy-in, etc., than it would be much smarter to go with a BRT system rather than insist on a stillborn light rail line.

That would be the result anyway, regardless of which option is chosen. I believe that both the city council and significant parts of the Cork populace are incapable of making sensible decisions for the city. They lack the will and insight to change anything, hell, free parking and shoving more cars down every bloody lane is pretty much the only thing that much of the population seem to call for. The only way you're going to get a decent public transport system in this city is by forcing things against the resistance of the locals.

It's like saying the Luas should never have been built, but Dublin would have completely choked without it. Sure you got whinging from home and business owners before and while it was being built, they're fairly quiet now that their property values went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Brt is a bit cheaper ,and a bit more flexible than a tram ,
    But it's not cheap and it's not just a bendy bus ...
    It needs a proper segregated lane , it needs decent ticketing ,it needs the same type of stops as luas does ... In fact the only thing it doesn't need is rails , and signaling .. but it can carry an enormous number of people ,and it can ( to some extent ) be done piece meal ...and manoeuvre around obstacles .( To some extent )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

The extension to Edel House on Grattan St.

500832.jpg

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Brt is a bit cheaper ,and a bit more flexible than a tram ,
    But it's not cheap and it's not just a bendy bus ...
    It needs a proper segregated lane , it needs decent ticketing ,it needs the same type of stops as luas does ... In fact the only thing it doesn't need is rails , and signaling .. but it can carry an enormous number of people ,and it can ( to some extent ) be done piece meal ...and manoeuvre around obstacles .( To some extent )

For a proper segregated system you would need some form of signalling or at least prioritisation at signalised junctions. Otherwise it'll just get stuck in traffic lights like the rest of the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Interesting one from the RTE archives. To be fair a few of the big projects listed here did happen since 1978, notably JLT and south ring. But bizarre to hear others mentioned here that have not been lead forward in all this time

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0905/991729-future-bright-for-cork/

opus wrote: »
    First time I came across a pic of what the finished student apartments on the Mardyke are going to look like.

499846.jpg

Signs have appeared on this saying opening Sept '20. Was thinking about it and a very good location, across the road from the park, 5 mins walk to UCC, 5 mins walk to the Mardyke Arena sports centre & 15 or 20 mins walk to the city centre. Quite enough spot away from traffic as well (maybe students wouldn't care about that!).

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

opus wrote: »
    Signs have appeared on this saying opening Sept '20. Was thinking about it and a very good location, across the road from the park, 5 mins walk to UCC, 5 mins walk to the Mardyke Arena sports centre & 15 or 20 mins walk to the city centre. Quite enough spot away from traffic as well (maybe students wouldn't care about that!).

I've seen pictures of this a lot but haven't been out that direction recently to see where is actually is. It looks like it is down the one-way street to the side of Fitz park but I'm hoping it's beside the aib where there has been horarding and a whole in the ground for the last 10 years?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

rounders wrote: »
    I've seen pictures of this a lot but haven't been out that direction recently to see where is actually is. It looks like it is down the one-way street to the side of Fitz park but I'm hoping it's beside the aib where there has been horarding and a whole in the ground for the last 10 years?

It’s at the junction of Noel Cantwell Walk and Mardyke Walk. At the back of the Hawthorn Veterinary Clinic.

Very good location near the Castlewhite entrance to UCC. I pass it daily and it’s been flying up, the Sept 20 signage only went up recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

It’s at the junction of Noel Cantwell Walk and Mardyke Walk. At the back of the Hawthorn Veterinary Clinic.

Very good location near the Castlewhite entrance to UCC. I pass it daily and it’s been flying up, the Sept 20 signage only went up recently too.

Is this where it is?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is this where it is?

Indeed it is.

Looks like the hostel in the old tourist office on GP is going ahead.

UK property firm secures planning permission to build hostel on Cork''s Grand Parade

Is this where it is?

This the view from Fitzgerald Park at lunchtime, up to first floor level now.

501279.jpg

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I see there is a for sale sign up on the old Garda station on MacCurtain street. Something might finally go in there after all these years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I see there is a for sale sign up on the old Garda station on MacCurtain street. Something might finally go in there after all these years.

it's sold afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭shnaek

mire wrote: »
    it's sold afaik

Yeah, it sold at auction - 620k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Given how McCurtain St. has been on the up 'n' up for the last few years, I'm surprised nothing had been done with it for so long. My guess would be another hostel?

On another note - I see Vsource (software services?) seem to be moving into the Thompson's building. I don't know if it's in addition to or replacing their South Mall office.

With that, the recent opening of the Glass Curtain and the pending opening of the brew bar, and the redevelopment of Windsor House) there are now only 1 or 2 vacant units on the North side of the street (one next to the Glass Curtain, and possibly the former dentists office next to the Garda station?)

The resurgence of MacCurtain street is really unexpected and wonderful, not all that long ago it was closer to North Main Street. Which makes me wonder if the Cork economy is of a scale that for one area to improve it tends to comes at the expense of another. I would hope not, especially with the docklands looking like its going to come on track

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

When is the Prism expected to begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

bingo9999 wrote: »
    The resurgence of MacCurtain street is really unexpected and wonderful, not all that long ago it was closer to North Main Street. Which makes me wonder if the Cork economy is of a scale that for one area to improve it tends to comes at the expense of another. I would hope not, especially with the docklands looking like its going to come on track

I don't think that is the case.

The reason that North Main Street has declined so much is due to site owners sitting on their sites and the resulting increasing dereliction.

We should see a planning application for the old Munster Furniture site this year for student accommodation.

I would hope that the next government will increase the derelict site tax to prevent this site hoarding behavior in towns and cities across Ireland.

Denis O'Brien Developments has filed a SHD consultation for the demolition of the "San Paula" house on Orchard Road and construciton of 216 student bedspaces.

http://pleanala.ie/casenum/306442.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

bingo9999 wrote: »

I really hope the council improve the streetscape on this street. Some great business but the streets are grey and uninviting with cars dominating the street. Less parking, more seats, better footpaths, trees etc...

Denis O'Brien Developments has filed a SHD consultation for the demolition of the "San Paula" house on Orchard Road and construciton of 216 student bedspaces.

http://pleanala.ie/casenum/306442.htm

That will go down like a lead balloon with the well-to-do neighbours

• Advertisement

I really hope the council improve the streetscape on this street. Some great business but the streets are grey and uninviting with cars dominating the street. Less parking, more seats, better footpaths, trees etc...

Definitely. MacCurtain Street has a good vibe especially towards the Bridge Street end but it's badly let down by the streetscape dominated by cars and narrow footpaths.

Advertisement