Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Some movement on the Sextant site.

New premises for Careys Tool hire to commence construction in March with a move in date of Dec 2020. They must be confident of getting planning for the tower if they are ploughing ahead with building Careys a new premises.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/carey-tool-hire-move-to-new-site-clears-way-for-25-storey-apartment-tower-on-cork-city-quays-975653.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Good to hear of progress. As a matter of interest, does anyone know what used to be on the site where Careys are moving to, looks like some buildings used to be there in the pic from Bing maps but Google shows it all cleared now.

500102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

opus wrote: »
    Good to hear of progress. As a matter of interest, does anyone know what used to be on the site where Careys are moving to, looks like some buildings used to be there in the pic from Bing maps but Google shows it all cleared now.

Not quite the answer you were looking for but the East side of that (the old Douglas/Vernonmount road) was a halting site for a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Not quite the answer you were looking for but the East side of that (the old Douglas/Vernonmount road) was a halting site for a very long time

Still is I think? A small one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

opus wrote: »

500102.jpg

I think it may have been Kerry foods back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

That looks like Black Ash.that the name of the area. Way back in the 1970s I remember nut and bolt factory there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Dbu wrote: »
    I think it may have been Kerry foods back in the day.

That is correct, they had a warehouse there until the mid 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Heard cleary was out there himself sorting that problem out. Job done anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Planning has gone in for the rest of the Savoy Centre redevelopment :) Ref: 2039026

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/2039026/0

Permission for the redevelopment of the Savoy Centre (No. 108-109 Saint Patrick’s Street) and a number of surrounding units including 106-107 Saint Patrick’s Street (formerly Quills), and the upper floors of Nos. 111-112 Saint Patrick’s Street (formerly A-Wear). Located at Saint Patrick’s Street and William Street, Cork City. The proposed works involve the demolition, and reconstruction, of internal and external elements of the existing block at all levels within the curtilage of the existing pattern to form retail shops at ground floor level, with some retail units extending to first floor level (Units 2 and 3). The proposed works include the decommissioning of the existing Savoy Centre and its constituent small internal retail units (currently vacant) and the reconfiguration of the space to form three no. individual retail units all fronting onto and accessed from Saint Patrick’s Street. The development also consists of the change of use of a portion of the Savoy Theatre and former upper retail areas to residential use to accommodate 11 no. apartments. Access to the retail units will be provided off Saint Patrick’s Street. Access to the apartments will be from William Street. These works include, but are not limited to, the removal/relocation of partitions, counters, accommodation stairs, roof terraces and landscaping, reconfiguration of internal units, drainage, bin storage, improvements to the external fabric and lighting along William Street; plant space etc. The proposal constitutes the second phase of the Savoy Redevelopment with phase 1 being permitted under 18/38168. Permission is sought for the above and all associated site development works.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ABP have sent Glenveagh back to the drawing board on the 449 units at Maryborough Ridge

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/305825.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

satanta99 wrote: »
    Planning has gone in for the rest of the Savoy Centre redevelopment :) Ref: 2039026

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/2039026/0

Permission for the redevelopment of the Savoy Centre (No. 108-109 Saint Patrick’s Street) and a number of surrounding units including 106-107 Saint Patrick’s Street (formerly Quills), and the upper floors of Nos. 111-112 Saint Patrick’s Street (formerly A-Wear). Located at Saint Patrick’s Street and William Street, Cork City. The proposed works involve the demolition, and reconstruction, of internal and external elements of the existing block at all levels within the curtilage of the existing pattern to form retail shops at ground floor level, with some retail units extending to first floor level (Units 2 and 3). The proposed works include the decommissioning of the existing Savoy Centre and its constituent small internal retail units (currently vacant) and the reconfiguration of the space to form three no. individual retail units all fronting onto and accessed from Saint Patrick’s Street. The development also consists of the change of use of a portion of the Savoy Theatre and former upper retail areas to residential use to accommodate 11 no. apartments. Access to the retail units will be provided off Saint Patrick’s Street. Access to the apartments will be from William Street. These works include, but are not limited to, the removal/relocation of partitions, counters, accommodation stairs, roof terraces and landscaping, reconfiguration of internal units, drainage, bin storage, improvements to the external fabric and lighting along William Street; plant space etc. The proposal constitutes the second phase of the Savoy Redevelopment with phase 1 being permitted under 18/38168. Permission is sought for the above and all associated site development works.
    18 year old me shed a tear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

marno21 wrote: »
    ABP have sent Glenveagh back to the drawing board on the 449 units at Maryborough Ridge

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/305825.htm

Hopefully higher density and more apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

snotboogie wrote: »
    Not sure higher density is appropriate in that location and in any event apartments/duplex cost too much to deliver. Only institutional buyers will purchase and then only city centre sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Does anyone know the story with the old Indigo Brasserie building on Lancaster Quay, across from Square Deal?

It seems like a pretty stand-up and relatively new apartment building that looks completely empty. I always thought that restaurant had a great setting there, would be good to see it used again. Even if it was starbucks or something that could survive there, to replace the one they left on Patrick street.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the story with the old Indigo Brasserie building on Lancaster Quay, across from Square Deal?

It seems like a pretty stand-up and relatively new apartment building that looks completely empty. I always thought that restaurant had a great setting there, would be good to see it used again. Even if it was starbucks or something that could survive there, to replace the one they left on Patrick street.

That's not a bad shout - well a café that's independent - not a horrible SB!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Doesn't that place have a nice little outdoor bit out back that faces onto the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Doesn't that place have a nice little outdoor bit out back that faces onto the river?

Yeah, a nice little balcony overlooking a bend in the river. Gets the evening sun (on the 3 days of the year when Ireland gets the sun).

It's a lovely spot, but perhaps it's juuust that bit out from town (and away from other venues) that it loses out. It's funny how even just 50m, or even being on the wrong side of the road, can be the difference between success and failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Shame because its quite unique. Not too many places like that in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I only noticed that building completely empty, too - the apartments as well.
    I'd love to know why.
    The building can't be much more than 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

snotboogie wrote: »

As the local infrastructure stands today, even the proposed number is too much for that site, not to mind higher densities. The extra traffic down to the Fingerpost would be disastrous. So until the M28 is built, with a proper bidirectional junction with Carr’s Hill, it’s a no from me to development at that scale up there. For the record, I live nowhere near there so this isn’t NIMBYism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

I only noticed that building completely empty, too - the apartments as well.
    I'd love to know why.
    The building can't be much more than 20 years old.

Are you sure the apartments are empty? I seem to recall seeing a daft ad for one of the apartments a year or so ago (but may be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Are you sure the apartments are empty? I seem to recall seeing a daft ad for one of the apartments a year or so ago (but may be wrong)

It looks like it's empty, anyway.
    Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

It looks like it's empty, anyway.
    Not sure.

Those flats were holiday rentals as far as I know as a friend of mine had her family staying there when she was having her first kid. Mind you that's around six years ago. That whole place look totally unused for ages as I work close by so past there a lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CField have been awarded the contract for the Prism according to a post on PROC.

Fantastic news of true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

marno21 wrote: »
    CField have been awarded the contract for the Prism according to a post on PROC.

Fantastic news of true

Great news. Nice to see it being awarded to a smaller company. They seem to be very busy with house building around Cork at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Great news. Nice to see it being awarded to a smaller company. They seem to be very busy with house building around Cork at the moment.

They tend to be more active in the UK I think, their big projects are in London

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Excellent news! Might actually happen! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The stupid glorified bus is being talked about again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The stupid glorified bus is being talked about again.

It's a "tram without rails", not a bus!

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »

It's a "tram without rails", not a bus!

The article says:

“A TramBus, also known as Bus Rapid Transit”

It’s just marketing meets BRT with some unfounded canards included

Advertisement