Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Teddy 1234 wrote: »
    I have never set grass seed with a wagtail, what setting do you use or how much do you have the opening? What width and speed do you spread at?

Width it looks like it is roughly 5m.
    I stepped the width of the tractor and that's 7ft. So double that and its 14ft.
    There should be no difference between your own wheel tracks and the gap between the previous one or less if you want to be sure.
    Speed about 11kmph.
    Setting 18 or a touch above on a vicon 604 spreader.
    Just barely under 18 for a bag (11.5kgs)/ acre.

All rolled up here. Will spray off another paddock tomorrow if growth looks good

Did you use your own seeder?
    And if you did how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Did you use your own seeder?
    And if you did how did you get on?

Yeah we did. Johnathon leech tiles it up with his harrow and he could have sowed it if we wanted. Should be a really dry field now with lots of grass for next spring.
    Haven't fully got used to the seeder yet. The settings on the book isn't really correlating. Ill have my own settings after a while I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Sami23

There should be no difference between your own wheel tracks and the gap between the previous one or less if you want to be sure.
    Just barely under 18 for a bag (11.5kgs)/ acre.

I've a field to sow here with the vicon in the next week or so and haven't sowed with it before as usually got a lad in to do it but want to cut down on costs this time.

Just to clarify on the gap between passes. Are you saying you stay just the width of the tractor from the previous wheel mark so when your finished you end up with line's left from wheels in fields all equally spaced as it you wouldn't know which track you drove on as all equal spacing ?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does anyone spread grass seed mixed with lime or sand?
    Did it years ago somewhere I worked, reckon it was because the fert spreader could go down fine enough.... But mixing lime and a bag of grass seed with a shovel can't have been too accurate either..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Sami23 wrote: »
    I've a field to sow here with the vicon in the next week or so and haven't sowed with it before as usually got a lad in to do it but want to cut down on costs this time.

Just to clarify on the gap between passes. Are you saying you stay just the width of the tractor from the previous wheel mark so when your finished you end up with line's left from wheels in fields all equally spaced as it you wouldn't know which track you drove on as all equal spacing ?
    TIA

On the wheel marks. That's exactly it.

You'd nearly want to have seen someone else spread with a vicon spreader before attempting it yourself.
    It's not rocket science but just the little knacks of driving the tractor into the corners of the fields and then doing an extra pass on the headland when youre finished where the spreader would be starting to ensure no misses.
    Obviously then a really calm day which is near impossible get in this country.
    Good luck if you do go at it.

TIA

On the wheel marks. That's exactly it.

Bit confused now, are you saying you drive on the previous wheel mark next time around to just move width of tractor over or do ya move over by a full tractor width If ya kno what I mean

Bit confused now, are you saying you drive on the previous wheel mark next time around to just move width of tractor over or do ya move over by a full tractor width If ya kno what I mean

Move over a full width of the tractor.
    Or another way of saying it is leave the width of the tractor between runs.
    Don't drive on the previous wheel mark.
    Although you could if want but you'd just be doubling the amount of passes with the tractor and have to cut back the spreader to half what you're spreading with the way I'm doing it.
    Get off the tractor a few times to make sure the grass seed is covering well too.
    Some people spread grass by spreading one way and then crossing those runs at 90 degrees to be totally sure of no misses.

Now I have you totally confused. ;)

Move over a full width of the tractor.
    Or another way of saying it is leave the width of the tractor between runs.
    Don't drive on the previous wheel mark.
    Although you could if want but you'd just be doubling the amount of passes with the tractor and have to cut back the spreader to half what you're spreading with the way I'm doing it.
    Get off the tractor a few times to make sure the grass seed is covering well too.
    Some people spread grass by spreading one way and then crossing those runs at 90 degrees to be totally sure of no misses.

Now I have you totally confused. ;)

No that's what I thought u ment in the first place anyway.
    My field is long and narrow so can't really do the crossing thing.

I've a small 6 bad vicon so gonna chance setting it around 10 or 12 n hope for best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I've a field to sow here with the vicon in the next week or so and haven't sowed with it before as usually got a lad in to do it but want to cut down on costs this time TIA

How many bags to acre with vicon? The biggest cost might be the seed itself so if you are using too much seed with the vicon, it’s a false economy over precision sowing which would be a bag to the acre.

Maybe I’m off the mark here and would welcome views from more experienced sowers than myself

• Advertisement

Dunedin wrote: »
    How many bags to acre with vicon? The biggest cost might be the seed itself so if you are using too much seed with the vicon, it’s a false economy over precision sowing which would be a bag to the acre.

Maybe I’m off the mark here and would welcome views from more experienced sowers than myself

You have to start somewhere though if you want to start at all.
    The poster is cutting back the settings from what I used just to get a feel for it and so he won't run out of grass seed.
    He can always go back over it if has seed left.
    Tbh with these new grass varieties they don't tiller very well and an acre bag doesn't do an acre anymore.
    More is better than less it won't be wasted anyway.

It might be hard to make out the tracks from sowing yesterday.
    Scene today from finishing up rolling.
    Then spread fert after.

ZfU9VnF.jpg

Don't know why I can't load up the 2nd picture.
    I'll try the old fashioned way. :D

What didn't you till the fert in?

Simple answer.
    I thought I'd confuse myself with the tracks from sowing and two fields are narrow enough without driving across the tracks.
    The tyres on the tractor are gone worn enough anyway so it's nearly a roller in itself.
    I'd normally fert and then roll to finish.

Dunedin wrote: »

The cost of a bag of seed is the same price as to get someone in to sow it per acre so id prefer to buy an extra bag of seed and take my chances

Looking for opinions on this as I intend to spread fertiliser on top also and roll. I thought it be best to spread on top and let it get washed down but are you saying you would spread fert and disc in and then shake grass seed and roll.

It's great to get advice and hear people's experience on here

Well what ya think, fertiliser first and til in or fertiliser last after seed is spread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Well what ya think, fertiliser first and til in or fertiliser last after seed is spread ?

It's really preferences of the farmer. I prefer to till it in as it wont get washed away. That idea may be wrong but it makes me feel better

Fertiliser last would be my preference.
    It's closer to the seed that way and then roll the whole lot in.

I've never had a reseed fail yet.
    (Touchwood).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

We put out fert just before seed is set and roll after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Over seeded the other day any thoughts on this mixture?
    aspect 50%
    Solas25%
    Xenon20%
    Coolfin 3.5%
    Buddy 0.75%
    Avoca 0.75%
    I haven't used this seed before thanks, lab man

lab man wrote: »
    Over seeded the other day any thoughts on this mixture?
    aspect 50%
    Solas25%
    Xenon20%
    Coolfin 3.5%
    Buddy 0.75%
    Avoca 0.75%
    I haven't used this seed before thanks, lab man

DLF coated seed?
    overseeded 30 acres with 10 kgs per acre of aberclyed on the 1st days of may. Took this on Friday, looks to have gotten a great take. A very aggressive growing tetraploid is best for overseeding

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

The ONLY thing I like about the wagtail over other seeders is the randomness of the falling seed.

Contractor has sown grass with the one pass here the last few years, leaves the grass in rows too far apart.

MF290 wrote: »
    Contractor has sown grass with the one pass here the last few years, leaves the grass in rows too far apart.

Ya need an airseeder ;)

That’s a good point Reggie I might wait for some regrowth before spraying

What did ya end up doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Will ploughing relieve compaction on its own ?

Will ploughing relieve compaction on its own ?

Depends how deep ya go I suppose. Most people use it to level ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

DLF coated seed? overseeded 30 acres with 10 kgs per acre of aberclyed on the 1st days of may. Took this on Friday, looks to have gotten a great take. A very aggressive growing tetraploid is best for overseeding

DLF coated seed? overseeded 30 acres with 10 kgs per acre of aberclyed on the 1st days of may. Took this on Friday, looks to have gotten a great take. A very aggressive growing tetraploid is best for overseeding

Yes dlf coated seed ? I gave it a coat of slurry on the merchants say so?

• Advertisement

lab man wrote: »
    Yes dlf coated seed ? I gave it a coat of slurry on the merchants say so?

It'll certainly work but It's a bit of a con job tbh, there's only about 5/6kgs of actual grass seed in those bags. The rest is fillers. I was able to sue 10kgs of actual grass per acre for the same price as this stuff and I'll get as good a take if not better.
    Keep the cover below 1000 for the first two months and it'll take off then

Advertisement