Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

ELP wrote: »
    That's all I was looking to do and I have no big acres so it should do fine.
    Was that delivered to you?
    Is there any setting up in it i.e.. depth of tang
    They will deliver I collected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Finally sowed today after being ploughed last August.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Finally sowed today after being ploughed last August

Are ya happy with the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Seeded 10 acres yesterday too. Was a smashing day too in more ways than one,3 tines broken off the powerharrow from stones. The joys.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Are ya happy with the outcome?

Was trying to put up pic but wouldn’t load hence the multiple posts.

Yes, turned out very well but the weather was super. Slight change of tact on Saturday, contractor gave it one slow run of power harrow ( as opposed to my plan to rotavate) and he did a super job. That’s all it needed after that and I ran over it with the chain harrow this morning. Sowed and rolled this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Was trying to put up pic but wouldn’t load hence the multiple posts.

Yes, turned out very well but the weather was super. Slight change of tact on Saturday, contractor gave it one slow run of power harrow ( as opposed to my plan to rotavate) and he did a super job. That’s all it needed after that and I ran over it with the chain harrow this morning. Sowed and rolled this afternoon.

Light rain tomorrow too, to give it a drink. Ideal

The calf paddocks that were stitched 2 weeks ago are starting the germinate. Thank God as I thought that bit of frost might have killed off the seed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I'm planning on doing a bit of reseeding and have a couple of Q's. Ploughing is out of the question as i'm not spending months picking stones. I usually burn off after silage has been cut and direct drill with an einbock.
    Now i'd rather apply the lime at the time of the reseed than in the autumn in case conditions don't allow in the back end. So my question is:
    Could i burn off, apply lime and then direct drill, should i burn off, drill and apply lime OR, should i just go the full hog, burn off, power harrow, lime, power harrow again and then drill?
    My contractor uses a bredal lime spreader with the big wings, so lime is applied more like a dribble bar than spread with discs.
    Would there be too much build up of dead grass & lime for the drill to cope with if lime is applied prior to drilling?
    All thoughts and experiences welcome.

I'm planning on doing a bit of reseeding and have a couple of Q's. Ploughing is out of the question as i'm not spending months picking stones. I usually burn off after silage has been cut and direct drill with an einbock.
    Now i'd rather apply the lime at the time of the reseed than in the autumn in case conditions don't allow in the back end. So my question is:
    Could i burn off, apply lime and then direct drill, should i burn off, drill and apply lime OR, should i just go the full hog, burn off, power harrow, lime, power harrow again and then drill?
    My contractor uses a bredal lime spreader with the big wings, so lime is applied more like a dribble bar than spread with discs.
    Would there be too much build up of dead grass & lime for the drill to cope with if lime is applied prior to drilling?
    All thoughts and experiences welcome.

You can easily burn off. Wait 2 weeks to get a good kill. Apply fertnlime and then harrow it in and seed away.

I'm actually gonna be doing 8 acres shortly where I'm gonna be harrowing and seeding and the farmer will spray off afterwards. It's a sheep farm and ground is savage tightly grazed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How long after direct seeding/drilling could you wait to spray off with round up

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    How long after direct seeding/drilling could you wait to spray off with round up

Think you have 2 or 3 days not sure about it as I haven't tried I'd yet

Some before and after pics of a field I fixed up yesterday

Some before and after pics of a field I fixed up yesterday
    Hi reggie did you disc harrow or tine harrow this ground. It looks great

Hi reggie did you disc harrow or tine harrow this ground. It looks great

All with the tine harrow. 2 levelling runs and seeded on the 3rd run

Think you have 2 or 3 days not sure about it as I haven't tried I'd yet

Sorry if I’m being a bit thick here but are you saying you’d stitch in grass seed and then come along a few days later and spray with round up?

Sorry if I’m being a bit thick here but are you saying you’d stitch in grass seed and then come along a few days later and spray with round up?

That's it and its what this mans plan is. He's a seed REP so I'll sow it and he can spray when he wants too.

Seed should be safe till it germinates in theory. Seed should need a good 2 to 5 days to start to germinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hopefully I won't derail the thread but is anyone not in the slightest bit concerned about the use of roundup or maybe even over use?
    It might not be around for much longer if the Eu get their way.

I'm currently myself trying out some reseeding by not using roundup. It is getting ploughed though so should give a clean seedbed.

But the claims from opposition to glyphosphate would have anyone a little bit concerned. From killing of beneficial microbes in the soil to even changes in the gut microbiome of humans and animals. The jury is out on those but it still would make you wonder should we be trying to find our own alternative?

Anyway just ramblings of a little bit concerned farmer.

Hopefully I won't derail the thread but is anyone not in the slightest bit concerned about the use of roundup or maybe even over use?
    It might not be around for much longer if the Eu get their way.

I'm currently myself trying out some reseeding by not using roundup. It is getting ploughed though so should give a clean seedbed.

But the claims from opposition to glyphosphate would have anyone a little bit concerned. From killing of beneficial microbes in the soil to even changes in the gut microbiome of humans and animals. The jury is out on those but it still would make you wonder should we be trying to find our own alternative?

Anyway just ramblings of a little bit concerned farmer.

That's why I overseed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

foxirl wrote: »
    As well as the chickweed it's fairly patchy in areas as you can see from the pic. If I broadcast some more seed with a wagtail and roll would it be worth it. Don't have access to chain harrow and would probably tear up a lot of what's already sown as only 7 months

Graze it hard and fertilise it. Spray with Pastor trio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Reggie, how long does it generally take you to do an acre of ground?
    I've some 2 to 3 acre paddocks, time poor as they say, with a 3m harrow and 2 passes how long roughly am I going to need

• Advertisement

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Reggie, how long does it generally take you to do an acre of ground?
    I've some 2 to 3 acre paddocks, time poor as they say, with a 3m harrow and 2 passes how long roughly am I going to need

That 2 acre field took me 1.5 hours with my harrow on 3 passes. Your quicker with bigger fields as your not turning as much

It's the turning about that kills the time

I'd say 1.5 to 2 hours should then with only 2 passes

That 2 acre field took me 1.5 hours with my harrow on 3 passes. Your quicker with bigger fields as your not turning as much

It's the turning about that kills the time

I'd say 1.5 to 2 hours should then with only 2 passes

I am hoping to do some overseeding in the coming weeks. I was going to spray each paddock after it is grazed off with forefront T graze it again and then thine harrow and overseed would that be a good plan to clear out a lot of weeds

I am hoping to do some overseeding in the coming weeks. I was going to spray each paddock after it is grazed off with forefront T graze it again and then thine harrow and overseed would that be a good plan to clear out a lot of weeds

Just be careful that when it's tightly grazed that the weeds like docks aren't hidden by being eaten and then emerge after the spray

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Young lad I have milking for me saw me up on the tractor rolling the reseed here, he told me I was doing a sh1te job (I was ha!), he offered to take over (I'd gladly pay anyone the 10e/hr instead of doing a field job myself), I was sent off to pick stones instead, literally only found about 15 worth removing in the whole 10ac, so I'm back at home now finished for the evening. That's a win win for me haha!

Just be careful that when it's tightly grazed that the weeds like docks aren't hidden by being eaten and then emerge after the spray

That’s a good point Reggie I might wait for some regrowth before spraying

How long does it take everyone to sow grass seed?

Sowed 11 and a bit acres in 3 fields there now with the wagtail.
    Started at roughly 2 and finished about 5.30.
    I thought I'd never be finished.

Perfect calm day for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

We do sow at about 6kmph with the air seeder, in or around 4.5acres an hour.

Going by your figures, giving you a spreading width of 5 metres, your average forward speed was under 3km. Or you may have oversown it at double the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

All rolled up here. Will spray off another paddock tomorrow if growth looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teddy 1234

How long does it take everyone to sow grass seed?

Sowed 11 and a bit acres in 3 fields there now with the wagtail.
    Started at roughly 2 and finished about 5.30.
    I thought I'd never be finished.

Perfect calm day for it though.

I have never set grass seed with a wagtail, what setting do you use or how much do you have the opening? What width and speed do you spread at?

• Advertisement

We do sow at about 6kmph with the air seeder, in or around 4.5acres an hour.

Going by your figures, giving you a spreading width of 5 metres, your average forward speed was under 3km. Or you may have oversown it at double the speed.
    I was doing about 10 or 11kmph going by the table sticker on the tractor.
    I'm not sure about the 5 metres (that's 15ft in old money) ? Two tractor widths at a time it was anyway (and maybe less) @ 20kgs/acre with just one pass of the tractor.
    It's the headlands in the small fields that really killed time and making sure the seed is hitting the ground before taking off each time.
    The ONLY thing I like about the wagtail over other seeders is the randomness of the falling seed.

Advertisement