Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cracker of a morning here but a bit on the cool side. Started second round of grazing on Sunday. Everything bar 5 acres first grazed. This field was ate to the dirt on 10th March. Got tine harrow and only 1 bag 0/7/30 since (1 bag urea mid feb) and has more grass than the 5 acres that hasnt been grazed. Reason???? Reseeded March 17. Any bit of ground that is reseeded here is performing well this spring. Any old fields are shocking poor in comparison. Would still have half the cattle in and no silage left only for the reseeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cracker of a morning here but a bit on the cool side. Started second round of grazing on Sunday. Everything bar 5 acres first grazed. This field was ate to the dirt on 10th March. Got tine harrow and only 1 bag 0/7/30 since (1 bag urea mid feb) and has more grass than the 5 acres that hasnt been grazed. Reason???? Reseeded March 17. Any bit of ground that is reseeded here is performing well this spring. Any old fields are shocking poor in comparison. Would still have half the cattle in and no silage left only for the reseeds.

Ya can't beat the new grass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Cran

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ya can't beat the new grass

Anyone using a direct drill Aitchsion, Moore etc to reseed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cran wrote: »
    Anyone using a direct drill Aitchsion, Moore etc to reseed?

Aitchison has no roller to push down the seed and doesn't scratch the ground enough. the best I've seen is the guttler, the roller on it leaves it like a flock of sheepwalked it into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWmfyjVGq0

wrangler wrote: »
    Aitchison has no roller to push down the seed and doesn't scratch the ground enough. the best I've seen is the guttler, the roller on it leaves it like a flock of sheepwalked it into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWmfyjVGq0

Still needs to be rolled afterwards tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭eoinmk2

Was it an early variety that you put in out of interest? or just a normal grazing mix? just curious to know if even the "later" varieties are still coming good with early growth compered with the old swards

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

Would the reason the 5 acres isn't growing be that it hasn't being grazed and has got no fert.

farisfat wrote: »
    Would the reason the 5 acres isn't growing be that it hasn't being grazed and has got no fert.

It seems the case here that anything grazed is flying back with great regrowth. Just finished a paddock yesterday so I'm watching to see what it'll do. It's to the butt atm

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bo dearg

Or could it be that the 5 acres is wet. Hard for anything to grow with wet and cold feet even grass

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

Bo dearg wrote: »
    Or could it be that the 5 acres is wet. Hard for anything to grow with wet and cold feet even grass

Lots of wet heavy ground here and it's all being grazed.
    Dairy farming here....it's alot harder to manage a beef herd with on of grazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How deep does a mole plough go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bo dearg wrote: »

His land doesnt know the meaning of wet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

How deep does a mole plough go

You can set the depth anything up to about 2 feet done a bit 3/4 year's ago went down 15/18 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Grazon

Will ya come west reggie.
    https://i.imgur.com/QT6dQbi.jpg

Grazon wrote: »
    Will ya come west reggie.

Can't see that.

Will travel if the price is right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Grazon

Maybe now. Is it not free for boards members😆

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

QT6dQbi.jpg

You can see the pictures when someone replies to your post.
    Or alternatively just make sure there's a [url.] and [/.url] on each end of the link or if it's a direct link [img.] and [/img.] to embed it. Like i did above and then the picture will be viewable on site here. Just dont include those dots I put in those wrap arounds.

Has got i bag of urea mid feb and bag 18-6-12+s since. Its growing but nothing to the rate of the reseeds. What was grazed of old ground was extremely slow to show decent regrowth compared to reseeds.

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    Was it an early variety that you put in out of interest? or just a normal grazing mix? just curious to know if even the "later" varieties are still coming good with early growth compered with the old swards

Sinclair Mcgill maxtrix 70 is what i used for it. Its designed for early and late and the clover drives on the mid season growth.

Reggie. wrote: »
    It seems the case here that anything grazed is flying back with great regrowth. Just finished a paddock yesterday so I'm watching to see what it'll do. It's to the butt atm

Now everything is flying tbf. Its back in Feb/Mar that the reseeds kept driving on whereas the old pastures just didnt

• Advertisement

His land doesnt know the meaning of wet:D

Jaysus you're only over the road so not much in difference. You wrong side of border tho.☺

She needs abit of smarting up alright

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Dozer1 wrote: »
    so the Rakeman 3000 is selling at €2,950 inc. 23 per cent Vat only 3m wide,

its very tempting but 1 question I have is my ground is muddy, are the tines strong enough for heavier ground?
    I think they look a better job than the chain harrow but you can buy a wider chain harrow so cover the ground faster which is important for the part time person

I bought a new 3m jarmet tine harrow for 1720 including vat.i could barely buy a second hand one down here for that

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Have you used it yet?
    What did you think of it.
    I was thinking of getting one here.

It is the Jarmet I was thinking of getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

ELP wrote: »
    It is the Jarmet I was thinking of getting.

I have used it for pulling out dead grass etc a couple very happy with it. It’s perfect for farmers own use. I am going to over seeding with it in a few weeks, with the wagtail and roller. Bought it in whites of portadown best price I could find

That's all I was looking to do and I have no big acres so it should do fine.
    Was that delivered to you?
    Is there any setting up in it i.e.. depth of tang

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What's the story with grass frost? Fine frost here at 7am this morning. Would it affect grass seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

I prefer to reseed in August. It has the winter and early spring to settle in.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    What's the story with grass frost? Fine frost here at 7am this morning. Would it affect grass seed?

If it's germinated then there is a chance it can be killed off. Depends on the severity of the frost

Advertisement