Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Will ploughing relieve compaction on its own ?
    Ploughing destroys soil structure

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It'll certainly work but It's a bit of a con job tbh, there's only about 5/6kgs of actual grass seed in those bags. The rest is fillers. I was able to sue 10kgs of actual grass per acre for the same price as this stuff and I'll get as good a take if not better.
    Keep the cover below 1000 for the first two months and it'll take off then

Ah it's not that low. More like 8kg of grass seed in a 10kg bag but over all you get about the same strike from each. You get a little more % from the coated seed as it's protected so overall not much difference even tho there's more in a bag of uncoated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: I've merged the reseeding thread and the stitching in thread, I hope I wasn't the only one getting dizzy from going back and forth:P
    Fire away.

Buford T.Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Will ploughing relieve compaction on its own ?

Kinda depends what you mean, a sub spoiler or chisel plough would make a good job of loosening up the soil..... But you'd want really good dry ground...
    I suppose first question is why is it compacted?
    And how much ground do you have to do..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Ploughing destroys soil structure

I got marly soil and if you plough a wet field it will become the driest land for many years. I know it may not be the same for others but ploughing often fixes the structure for me.
    It probably indicates shallow compaction. And the plough breaks this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teddy 1234

If I spread granulated lime tomorrow, could I set grass seed the same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Teddy 1234 wrote: »

Yes.

Teddy 1234 wrote: »

Won't cause it any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Sami23

At what stage or how long after sowing will a reseed fail without rain ?
    Sowed 2 weeks now and no rain and there are certain areas with weeds covering the ground.
    Praying for rain now but no sign

Sami23 wrote: »
    Sowed 2 weeks now and no rain and there are certain areas with weeds covering the ground.

I'm in the same situation as yourself.
    Except it's bare ground with no weeds.

I may have to sow again. The seed is growing away in damp spots under trees but out in the open it's poor to non existent. I just hadn't enough soil cover over the seeds.

You'd imagine if it was damp enough for weeds it's damp enough for the grass seed.
    I had a reseed like that before covered in weeds. Mostly chickweed and a topping with the topper allowed the grass come through.

• Advertisement

I may have to sow again. The seed is growing away in damp spots under trees but out in the open it's poor to non existent. I just hadn't enough soil cover over the seeds.

You'd imagine if it was damp enough for weeds it's damp enough for the grass seed.
    I had a reseed like that before covered in weeds. Mostly chickweed and a topping with the topper allowed the grass come through.

Mine was burnt off and bare when I sowed it too and was just clay but spots now are like a carpet why weeds, presume it's chickweed. Small green weed with at least 4 leaves.
    Even if it got rain now would the grass come through the weeds I wonder ?

Mine was burnt off and bare when I sowed it too and was just clay but spots now are like a carpet why weeds, presume it's chickweed. Small green weed with at least 4 leaves.

If it's smothered with chickweed or whatever (sounds like chickweed) the grass won't get through.
    Like all plants grass needs sunlight.
    Have a rummage and see if there's any seedlings growing underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Had some spare fert in the spinner today so I put it out on the reseed we did. It's well struck at this stage but could do with more rain. In 3 weeks on Thursday

Most dangerous time for a reseed is if the seed germinates and then gets starved of moisture. It will kill off the seedling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Reggie. wrote: »
    Most dangerous time for a reseed is if the seed germinates and then gets starved of moisture. It will kill off the seedling

Seeding in august is much safer in this reagard imo

Always a better chance of moisture but frost is another danger at this stage too

Don't worry, you can get grass burning up in August too. In fact it's more likely in August than May in this country.

This spell like our winter gone and the autumn before and actually since the start of last year is highly unusual.
    There's just been no kindness at all to the weather. It's one extreme to the next.

It's more akin to weather that Holland and Belgium are used to instead of Ireland.

Whatever the cause - - a Sun phase, man made climate change, the gulf stream slowing down, magnetic anomalies in the earth moving.
    Something has changed. It's not the same climate that we had these last few decades.
    Build your doomsday bunker now. :pac:

I'd say my reseed is f#*ked at this stage. Got no rain and alot of weeds all over it now. Probably looking at full reseed again unfortunately

I'd say my reseed is f#*ked at this stage. Got no rain and alot of weeds all over it now. Probably looking at full reseed again unfortunately
    I was at a farm walk yesterday on an organic farm and it looked to me like they were looking for a huge crop of redshank in a grass reseed. Well, redshank and scutch.

It's mad, Ted.

• Advertisement

Spray off and stitch in. Be a cheaper option

Reggie. wrote: »

Spray off and stitch in. Be a cheaper option
    Well I'm gonna wait till it gets rain and see what happens and then probably burn off alright  :angry:

Well I'm gonna wait till it gets rain and see what happens and then probably burn off alright  :angry:

Your not the only one in that boat I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I was at a farm walk yesterday on an organic farm .....a huge crop of redshank in a grass reseed.

I wouldn't worry about a weed like that. If u could get a look at it next year, it could be a different story.

Muckit wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about a weed like that. If u could get a look at it next year, it could be a different story.

Not very confident, Muckit.
    amFJ30P.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭visatorro

Not very confident, Muckit.

Not great looking, I'm getting worried about mine sown last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wait for rain if grass hasn't germinated, if it has germinated it is prob at more risk

Mooooo wrote: »
    Wait for rain if grass hasn't germinated, if it has germinated it is prob at more risk

Correct and right

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Forgive my ignorance but, can you not fill a sprayer with water and make it rain yourself?

• Advertisement

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but, can you not fill a sprayer with water and make it rain yourself?

In fairness you'd be spraying all day. You'd be surprised what galls in a 10 min shower

Advertisement