Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Sami23

When would be the earliest you could let sheep into a reseed to try and eat the weeds which might give the grass some chance to come up ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sami23 wrote: »
    When would be the earliest you could let sheep into a reseed to try and eat the weeds which might give the grass some chance to come up ?

Ballpark 3 weeks, but depends on weather. Try pulling a few tufts of grass around the field, if no roots come up you're good to graze.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Mine is due the 6 week post em spray.

What spray do ye recommend? Used DB plus in the past and found it good but that’s a few years ago

Dunedin wrote: »
    Mine is due the 6 week post em spray.

What spray do ye recommend? Used DB plus in the past and found it good but that’s a few years ago
    I'd imagine it depends what weeds are present would it not.
    I am going with Underclear as I have Chickweed and Redshank.
    What weeds are in yours ?

Is this definitely Chickweed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sami23 wrote: »
    Is this definitely Chickweed ?

Leaves are definitely too big for Chickweed.

I think it was you was asking about this before and I said Lambs ear.
    Well the leaves haven't gone silvery or hairy now.
    So I'll go with Fat Hen or Lambs Quarter.
    (Different names for the one plant).

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

49554A81-1114-49CA-9082-27A4891BB1B3.jpeg

Done my first bit of over seeding today, I wonder will it work. Took bales off it yesterday two runs of the tine harrow. Mixed seed with 10.10.20Spread the seed with wag tail. Another run of tine harrow rolled it. I just wonder will it work

Done my first bit of over seeding today, I wonder will it work. Took bales off it yesterday two runs of the tine harrow. Mixed seed with 10.10.20Spread the seed with wag tail. Another run of tine harrow rolled it. I just wonder will it work

If you're not in my of the Gobi desert the seed will germinate anyway.
    Whatever the consistency of spread will be when you mixed it with the fert is a different story.
    I think some posters here may have done what you have done though.

You haven't got as big of risk when you're overseeding as compared to a total reseed anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was the jagged edges on the leaves that got me wondering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

No i really dont think it'll work.

The cover looks too heavy to overseed.

You've spread N with slurry. The old grass will leap out of the ground and will choke out the new seedlings before they get a chance to germinate properly.

If you were doing it that way I would have ran the harrow again after the seed to make sure it gets down to the soil.

Now hopefully I'm wrong but that's from what I can see from the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Appreciate the answers might be on this thread already but did some reseeding last week. Got it rolled last weekend. Silage man advised me to roll it again when the grass is up a bit in a few weeks. What’s people’s opinions on that?

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Appreciate the answers might be on this thread already but did some reseeding last week. Got it rolled last weekend. Silage man advised me to roll it again when the grass is up a bit in a few weeks. What’s people’s opinions on that?

I wouldn't roll it till it's up a few months. Roll to early after it emerges and you'll kill the seed or at best stunt it

Reggie. wrote: »
    No i really dont think it'll work.

The cover looks too heavy to overseed.

You've spread N with slurry. The old grass will leap out of the ground and will choke out the new seedlings before they get a chance to germinate properly.

If you were doing it that way I would have ran the harrow again after the seed to make sure it gets down to the soil.

Now hopefully I'm wrong but that's from what I can see from the photo.
    Hello Reggie it didn’t get any slurry. I cut bales off it yesterday. I gave it two runs of the tine harrow today. I spread seed with the wag tail only and I had around a nice bit of seed left over so I mixed with 10.10.20 and went over it again. I then went back over it with the tine harrow and gave it a roll. The photo I took was when I was half way through the field on first run of the tine harrow. What are your thought Reggie your my mentor here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Hello Reggie it didn’t get any slurry. I cut bales off it yesterday. I gave it two runs of the tine harrow today. I spread seed with the wag tail only and I had around a nice bit of seed left over so I mixed with 10.10.20 and went over it again. I then went back over it with the tine harrow and gave it a roll. The photo I took was when I was half way through the field on first run of the tine harrow. What are your thought Reggie your my mentor here.

Whats the picture about so?

Whats the picture about so?

Just took when I was half way through field on the first run of the tine harrow. Just bought a tine harrow and I wanted to see is it any good for overseeding

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea was thinking it wasn't slurry.it looks a great job, what sort of harrow have you got, you probably should apply granlime because decaying vegetation affects PH in the top few inches and in turn germination

Is the field for second cut or grazing

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea was thinking it wasn't slurry.it looks a great job, what sort of harrow have you got, you probably should apply granlime because decaying vegetation affects PH and in turn germination
    You’re right I never thought of the decaying grass I thought I would be ok because I didn’t spray it off. I bought the cheapest tine harrow I find a jarmet

• Advertisement

Is the field for second cut or grazing

Grazing Reggie do you think will it work. I tore up a fair bit of tatch

I'm thinking of buying a harrow, was that just one run

I'm thinking of buying a harrow, was that just one run

Yea that was the first run. I am not sure how good spreading the the seed with the wagtail is time will tell I suppose

Yea that was the first run. I am not sure how good spreading the the seed with the wagtail is time will tell I suppose

I'd be very interested in your results

I'd be very interested in your results
    I won’t hold my breath. I gave everything to try and make it work I bought coated seed for overseeding aswell. Let’s see

I won’t hold my breath. I gave everything to try and make it work I bought coated seed for overseeding aswell. Let’s see

I did a great job with a chain harrow for a neighbour on a horse paddock that was poached, got loads of clay up but yet it did'nt grow, it had to be the decaying vegetation because I used the same grasseed on a ordinary reseed at home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I wouldn't roll it till it's up a few months. Roll to early after it emerges and you'll kill the seed or at best stunt it

Aye my thinking is to let it grow away and graze it this year. Then roll in spring next year. Silage men are always mad for you roll your ground. If it was for cutting I might roll it after the bag stuff went on

Yeah you should be ok at that. Once it gets soil contact. Just watch the regrowth with the 10 10 20. Keep it down. 0 7 30 would have been better but if you keep it well grazed then it should be well taken in about 6 weeks

Aye my thinking is to let it grow away and graze it this year. Then roll in spring next year. Silage men are always mad for you roll your ground. If it was for cutting I might roll it after the bag stuff went on

Always roll after seeding as this protects seeds from slugs but then leave it alone

• Advertisement

Hard to know cos if the ground ain't very bare it's hard to get the seed to contact the soil. Plus your not very accurate with a wagtail and you'll have wind interfence. Your only good for 3m with that method cos of the height

Advertisement