Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I won’t hold my breath. I gave everything to try and make it work I bought coated seed for overseeding aswell. Let’s see

Agritech?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Ha thought that was slurry

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Reggie. wrote: »
    Agritech?
    Yep

Yep

Yeah used it many times. If it gets any chance at all it'll take. Thats the requvination mix?

Agritech?
    Yeah used it many times. If it gets any chance at all it'll take. Thats the requvination mix?

Yea it’s hard to know will it for the exact reasons you said. Let’s see

• Advertisement

Yea it’s hard to know will it for the exact reasons you said. Let’s see

In future don't be afraid to rip the hell outta the ground.

wrangler wrote: »
    I did a great job with a chain harrow for a neighbour on a horse paddock that was poached, got loads of clay up but yet it did'nt grow, it had to be the decaying vegetation because I used the same grasseed on a ordinary reseed at home

Id say you used the wrong type of grass seed

In future don't be afraid to rip the hell outta the ground.

Yea I wasn’t over happy with the way the harrow tore up the ground. I would say it was to hard and the harrow couldn’t get a good bite into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That looks good after only one run of harrow ,what type of harrow are you using .I would just add dont forget the few bags of gram lime!!!!

cute geoge wrote: »
    That looks good after only one run of harrow ,what type of harrow are you using .I would just add dont forget the few bags of gram lime!!!!

I got a new jarmet harrow I am actually thinking of selling it. I went at that job yesterday took a half day work and I am not sure will it work. In my case it makes more sense to get a contractor in. I forgot about the gran lime and I not going to get time to go back to it for two weeks. Time is always the thing

• Advertisement

I got a new jarmet harrow I am actually thinking of selling it. I went at that job yesterday took a half day work and I am not sure will it work. In my case it makes more sense to get a contractor in. I forgot about the gran lime and I not going to get time to go back to it for two weeks. Time is always the thing

What size tines are they? 8mm or 6mm. You need 8mm. 6mm are far too weak. That could be your issue

What size tines are they? 8mm or 6mm. You need 8mm. 6mm are far too weak. That could be your issue
    8mm tines it took up a lot tatch but not much soil exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭visatorro

Bit I done is a mixed bag, part of it that was drained is doing well. The drier part is really struggling. Could be doing it again in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If stitching in or not ploughing the lime is very important as decaying veg on top will stop seed from germinating

Mooooo wrote: »
    If stitching in or not ploughing the lime is very important as decaying veg on top will stop seed from germinating

Yep turns it acidic

8mm tines it took up a lot tatch but not much soil exposed

Try going at 90° to each run the next time

Can you adjust your tines?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Mooooo wrote: »

Even in high ph soils.??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Snowfire wrote: »
    Even in high ph soils.??

The A in DNA stands for acid

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

ganmo wrote: »
    The A in DNA stands for acid

What does the D and N stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Don't No.

:)

(Defined as a nucleic acid). DNA.

• Advertisement

Di-Nucleic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm going to be all smart now and not use Google and say..

Deoxyribonucleic acid.

Poxy rNA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

Few questions on reseeding, to begin last time a field was reseeded here was over 20 years ago this would also be the last time it was limed.
    Plan on beginning to reseed this year,l.

1. When would be the best time or is it gone too late?
    2. Do you lime before or after reseeding?
    3. Do teagasc advisors do soil tests?
    4. How long after spreading fert can a soil test be carried out?
    5. What's the best seed mix to use for sheep and cutting hay?
    6. How much would it cost roughly per acre to reseed, all work done by contractors?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have a few fields to reseed old leys,this would be reasonable good land but after the last few wet years ,it tended to be heavy enough this spring and i just about able to graze it without poaching .I can imagine if i plough or power harrow, it will be impossible to graze if we get bad weather as it will be tender for a few years at least and i carry a high stocking rate.Would discing or grass harrow eg pallitine be the best option for me as i want to keep a tough skin ,i am also thinking of giving it a run of a sub soiler .The problem with the power harrow it leaves the top couple of inches very soft ,is this the same story with the discs

cute geoge wrote: »
    I have a few fields to reseed old leys,this would be reasonable good land but after the last few wet years ,it tended to be heavy enough this spring and i just about able to graze it without poaching .I can imagine if i plough or power harrow, it will be impossible to graze if we get bad weather as it will be tender for a few years at least and i carry a high stocking rate.Would discing or grass harrow eg pallitine be the best option for me as i want to keep a tough skin ,i am also thinking of giving it a run of a sub soiler .The problem with the power harrow it leaves the top couple of inches very soft ,is this the same story with the discs

Discs leave the ground lumpy and that's with no bits of grass present.

If the ground is difficult then the grass harrow may be the best option

DJ98 wrote: »
    Few questions on reseeding, to begin last time a field was reseeded here was over 20 years ago this would also be the last time it was limed.

6. How much would it cost roughly per acre to reseed, all work done by contractors?

1. You can reseed right up to Sept
    2. You lime before the seed goes in preferably
    3. No idea
    4. I'd test a week or so before starting to reseed. Preferably you need to be over index 2. The higher the better
    5. That's a question for the seed reps. They will have the latest up to date seed mixes. The seeds change yearly.
    6. Depends on the method and what your local contractor charges for each part of the job. My system costs roughly €190ish per acre start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We normally do it during august..anytime works so long as theyre is moisture. Wouldnt recommend doing it after 1st week of september
    Can lime before and after depending on lime requirements.
    They do
    3-6months
    Top5 extend with clover or similiar.
    Teagasc say 300/acre.

No point in reseeding if youre not going to feed it to its potential and if you dont have enough stock to eat it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

No point in reseeding if youre not going to feed it to its potential and if you dont have enough stock to eat it

What do you mean by feed it to its potential?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by feed it to its potential?

Going out a few weeks later with 10-10-20 to keep it fed.

Advertisement