Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Senior Hurling- Liam McCarthy Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

I have a suspicion Owens may have got the final due to his habit of keeping the losing team in a game and playing for draws. A lot of refs are at that craic but Owens is the worst. I'd like to see his stats but it can be seen in the table above that his last 2 AI semi's ended in draws. Think he was involved in a drawn league final a few years ago too.

The most comical one was a qualifier between kilkenny & Waterford a few years ago where he blew up for a draw in injury time after a kilkenny player struck the ball but before it went over the bar!

His style does make for more exciting games though. Won't hurt the GAA either if he earns them €4m with a replay. My advice is get on the draw @ 9/1.

My thoughts exactly!! Anyone know when the replay would be in if it's a draw??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Not convinced. I reckon GAA have used up their manufactured draw quota in hurling this year. I reckon one of the football semis will be a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

MfMan wrote: »
    Maher has often gone for the big flashy clearance to the detriment of his defending; Conor Whelan picked his pocket for an important point in the 2015 semi-final in this way.

10 excellent years for Tipp, probably waned a bit this year. O Sullivan played full back at inter county so hard for me to attest to his athleticism, but I've seen Maher show wing forwards a clean set of heels several times and rove forward for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

spurshero wrote: »
    Let him off. These refs are beginning to think there the star of the show .

If I was picking the best referee for the final, McGrath would not be even considered IMO,

Some of the Hurling refs are too full of their own importance, McGrath being one, Horgan another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

think Paud O'Dwyer from carlow is his name , the referee who reffed the cork v limerick was excellent that day and the few other times i have seen him , very much keeps p wit the pace and lets a lot of the softer frees go he would have been ideal for the final . james mcgrath is no where near that level in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Has to be said some load of hore sh*te being spouted here :D the referee conspiracy takes the biscuit though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Derek McGrath has me thinking,anyone remember Max Smile blades ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Can't shake off the feeling Limerick are going to do it on Sunday. As a Tipp man, not sure which is worse, Galway going the double (which we've failed to do for so long), or playing "the All Ireland Champs Limerick" in Munster next year :) Nah in all honesty hope Limerick do it. Would be great for the game. Can't wait for Sunday now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

As a Galway man it's unfortunate that our all Ireland came at the expense of Waterford rather than kk, cork or tipp.
    I thought limerick were going to be our opponents in the final all year but I think they're too like us for their own good. Clare caused us problems with movement that I don't think limerick will and I don't think they'll over power or out hurl us. I think this Galway team has it's heart set on emulating the 87, 88 team. Again unfortunate as two teams I'd like to see win one are limerick and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

The GAA have bucked the trend this year by picking James Owens to ref the AI final, and not James McGrath.

There has been a very clear trend in recent years of who will take charge of the AI final, and 2018 should have been James McGrath's turn.

The trend, from 2017 to 2010 (that's as far back as I have looked, and far enough to illustrate a trend), is that the referee chosen for the AI final:
    (i) wasn't in charge of either of the AI Semi-finals
    (ii) was in charge of an AI Quarter-final
    (iii) was likely to have been in charge for either the Leinster or Munster provincial finals

As the table below shows, James McGrath didn't take charge of a semi-final, and he did ref a quarter final and a provincial final. On the other hand, James Owens did ref a semi-final but no quarter final.

Just as another example, in 2016 Brian Gavin was in charge of the AI final, quarter final and provincial final, but not a semi-final.

Year | Final | Semi-Final (Leinster Winner) | Semi-Final (Munster Winner) | Quarter-Finals | Leinster Final | Munster Final
    2018 | J Owens | J Owens / F Horgan (Replay) | P O'Dwyer | F Horgan & J McGrath | F Horgan / J Owens (Replay) | J McGrath
    2017 | F Horgan | B Kelly | J Owens | C Lyons & F Horgan | C Lyons | F Horgan
    2016 | B Gavin | J Owens / J McGrath (Replay) | B Kelly | A Kelly & B Gavin | F Horgan | B Gavin
    2015 | J Owens | B Gavin | B Kelly | J Ryan & J Owens | J McGrath | J Owens
    2014 | B Kelly / B Gavin (Replay) | J McGrath | J Owens | B Kelly & B Gavin | B Kelly | B Gavin
    2013 | B Gavin / J McGrath (Replay) | J Owens | J Ryan | B Kelly & B Gavin | J Ryan | J McGrath
    2012 | B Kelly / J McGrath (Replay) | B Gavin | C McAllister | B Kelly & M Wadding | J McGrath | C McAllister
    2011 | B Gavin | B Kelly | C McAllister | B Gavin & C McAllister | B Kelly | B Gavin
    2010 | M Wadding | B Gavin | J Sexton | M Wadding & J Owens | M Wadding | B Gavin

Now maybe this is all whataboutery... and GAA HQ have decided in their eyes to pick the best ref for the final, but I can understand why James McGrath has thrown the toys out of the pram.

My thought on this is Coady had to keep his mouth shut after the Limerick match. He so much wanted to whinge about McGrath but he had to bite his tongue. Coady got his payback using his influence with the refereeing panel to ensure McGrath didn't get this years final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I wonder would there be any appetite to make inter county refs a paid full time gig? Knock a lot of this messing on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

MfMan wrote: »
    Maher has often gone for the big flashy clearance to the detriment of his defending; Conor Whelan picked his pocket for an important point in the 2015 semi-final in this way.

10 excellent years for Tipp, probably waned a bit this year. O Sullivan played full back at inter county so hard for me to attest to his athleticism, but I've seen Maher show wing forwards a clean set of heels several times and rove forward for points.
    'Clean set of heels'.. !? He's scored points but he's never outpaced anyone..must be the slowest back in the Tipp squad. Great hands and attitude though..probably seen the best of him unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Can't shake off the feeling Limerick are going to do it on Sunday. As a Tipp man, not sure which is worse, Galway going the double (which we've failed to do for so long), or playing "the All Ireland Champs Limerick" in Munster next year :) Nah in all honesty hope Limerick do it. Would be great for the game. Can't wait for Sunday now!

'Welcome home the hero's' will be the banner.. probably 100,000 in Limerick for the homecoming and JP McManus to give all players and mentors 250,000 euro each. And Calvin Harris to DJ

If this goes to a replay, and it prob will, what's the date they've pencilled in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

If this goes to a replay, and it prob will, what's the date they've pencilled in for?

8th September as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I was just reading there on another forum that there's a bit of tension in the Limerick camp ... phone's being taken from players from management... the post was then promptly deleted .... this media ban is out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If they're following standard GAA protocol, theyll have no plan in place and just kind of hope it doesn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I was just reading there on another forum that there's a bit of tension in the Limerick camp ... phone's being taken from players from management... the post was then promptly deleted .... this media ban is out of control.

Really????

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

phkk wrote: »
    Really????

If it’s on an Internet forum it must be true. Must be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Doesn't mean it's not though.

• Advertisement

Greensoup wrote: »

Maybe just maybe those so called journalists who they won't speak to outside of the press day they had are stiring the pot...
    Keep the heads down lads and let's just concentrate on Sunday!! Hon Limerick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Greensoup wrote: »

But it was deleted from the other forum... does that make it more or less true? :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Anyone have any suggestions where a limerick fan would get tickets if they've no connection to a club?

Thanks

Hope for done deal? Might get one in the day but sounds like not many around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Go Kilmacud 7's but your chances are slim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Anyone know if there are buses running from Heuston to Croke Park on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

That would be too much of a good idea for the transport companies to organise.

Never seen a bus before but it would be great.

Normally get a luas to connolly then walk to croker about 10 mins walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Shtop that would make too much sense.

This is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

At Heuston, walk south along the Luas track (up the hill), turn left onto James St. and get the 123 bus here (6 min walk):

https://goo.gl/maps/Q6SaLPMCeGS2

Take the 123 (Marino) to North Strand (Ballybough Rd) and Croke Park is a 5 min walk from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Tickets are starting to show up. Know of a few people who had given up hope who have managed to get a hold of the odd ticket. Get out there like a hoor and you might get lucky.

Advertisement