Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Senior Hurling- Liam McCarthy Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Normally find tickets coming free by Saturday afternoon. Far too early to panic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

dilallio wrote: »
    At Heuston, walk south along the Luas track (up the hill), turn left onto James St. and get the 123 bus here (6 min walk):

https://goo.gl/maps/Q6SaLPMCeGS2

Take the 123 (Marino) to North Strand (Ballybough Rd) and Croke Park is a 5 min walk from there.

Wonder will that 123 bus be absolutely jammers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

blackcard wrote: »
    I’m away until Saturday night. Got sorted on the eve of the final last year. What are the odds of picking up any on the day of the final this year do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

kala85 wrote: »
    Wonder will that 123 bus be absolutely jammers

It shouldn't be - the 123 leaves from St James Hospital and this stop is just the 3rd stop. I use that stop regularly. You normally (weekday evenings) get 10 - 20 passengers from the stop at the hospital and less than 10 at the 2nd stop, so there should be loads of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Re tickets - what are people’s views on guys/gals from non participating counties looking for tickets....? Noticed a couple of posts on another thread where ‘neutrals’ were discussing means of getting tickets.....I suppose it’s difficult if not impossible to prevent in the same way that guys with very little interest all year from participating counties will all want to go to and get tickets for the ‘final’......the premium/corporate level is usually where this cohort of fans end up. Was lucky enuff to get two x premium for last years findl (for clarity I was a non-neutral) and the number of ‘fly by night’ fans I saw up there was a bit sickening but it’s human nature and I don’t know of anyway of ‘fixing’ it.....in saying all the above I think people from non-participating counties attending are ‘selfish’ to an extent and should ‘have a think about themselves’....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Re tickets - what are people’s views on guys/gals from non participating counties looking for tickets....? Noticed a couple of posts on another thread where ‘neutrals’ were discussing means of getting tickets.....I suppose it’s difficult if not impossible to prevent in the same way that guys with very little interest all year from participating counties will all want to go to and get tickets for the ‘final’......the premium/corporate level is usually where this cohort of fans end up. Was lucky enuff to get two x premium for last years findl (for clarity I was a non-neutral) and the number of ‘fly by night’ fans I saw up there was a bit sickening but it’s human nature and I don’t know of anyway of ‘fixing’ it.....in saying all the above I think people from non-participating counties attending are ‘selfish’ to an extent and should ‘have a think about themselves’....!

I'd say neutrals that attend games all year have more of a right to go to the game than someone from the participating counties that only shows up for the semi/final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Motivator

My wife is from Cork and I went to the 2013 final and replay as a “neutral”. I went with her but didn’t care what team won, I was just glad to be there to see two great games. I would class myself as a neutral even though I went with my wife who was there as a fan of a participating county. I went to all of Waterford’s games that year and most of Cork’s games so I would think I paid in to more League and Championship games than most people. I may have been a neutral but I think I deserved to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

dilallio wrote: »
    It shouldn't be - the 123 leaves from St James Hospital and this stop is just the 3rd stop. I use that stop regularly. You normally (weekday evenings) get 10 - 20 passengers from the stop at the hospital and less than 10 at the 2nd stop, so there should be loads of room.

The 123 goes from Walkinstown so its much more than its 3rd stop on James St. Also that usually goes down Summerhill Parade so its usually diverted when there is big matches in Croke Park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

'should have a think about themselves'

My grandfather was at over 50 football and hurling All Ireland finals in a row before he passed away. He used to tell me stories of him and his mates making their way to Dublin for the finals in the 40s and 50s and how they'd be setting off at 4 or 5am in the morning. Getting the breakfast in Dublin, sitting out on the concrete benches that used to line the sidelines in Croke Park, seeing great players play in historic times, having drinks afterwards and on the way home.

And he wouldnt be the only one. There are countless GAA supporters all over the country who go to All Ireland finals. the final is the showpiece of the sport. It doesnt belong to just 2 counties, it belongs to us all. Granted, the neutral being 'selfish' may not have as much passion as some supporter from that county participating, but he or she will be the one at their clubs next match, at their counties preseason competition, at the league games, at the championship games. Watching everything, loving the sport.

Every year we hear the same aul guff. The poor genuine supporters who go to every single league and championship match. Thankfully, that can now be put to bed with the season ticket. If the genuine supporter goes to every single game, they should have a season ticket and they'd have their final ticket. Also, if they were really a genuine fan, then they'd be well connected to other outlets of where to get a ticket.

Yes, the premium level will have the suits who are only there for the occasion. But at the same time, those corporate boxes and premium levels are there for sponsors and people who put a considerable amount of money back into the game. Its an unfortunate necessity, but the game needs sponsors. If their reward for sponsoring is to have clients and a big day out, then so be it.

And what of the counties who never get to an AI final? Should those people who love the GAA not ever be allowed to experience a final day? The buzz, the colour, the scenes? Should they have a think about themselves too whilst the bandwagon drunken mess of a fan from the county who barely knows his team and will not be seen again until 10 months time if they get to the latter stages?

People go on about the genuine fans and what not, but take this year alone, all teams in the final will have moans about not getting tickets and have been to every game. Yet all 4 teams have played to crowds of 11,500; 6,500; 8,300 and 18,500 in grounds that could have catered for more than double all those figures. And note, that is the attendance for both counties there, not just the fans from one county alone.

So no, I dont believe supporters of hurling or football who want to go to the All Ireland final are selfish or should think about themselves. The game belongs to everyone, not just the counties involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I go to the final every year. I'm quite happy about it and don't see any reason to 'have a think about myself'. It's a great occasion, the highlight of the year for all hurling fans and it's like my 'Christmas' every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Redo91 wrote: »
    I’m away until Saturday night. Got sorted on the eve of the final last year. What are the odds of picking up any on the day of the final this year do you reckon?

Very high. I went up the day of the final last year and got one outside Quinn’s at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Probably the most pathetic post I’ve read on boards.ie all year

This year of all years you'll get one above for the football, but not for the hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Here was me thinking the build up to the final was very quiet and it was the media reports were drip fed.
    Since late last night and this morning it has really ratcheted up a few knots and all the word is about limerick and the famine and the neutrals favorites to win on Sunday.Its now the nerves will start,people getting anxious about tickets and the 73 team the pressure will start to build with players about what they can and can’t do on the pitch it all seeps in no matter how much Kiely tries to shield the limerick players from it.
    I thought the low key build up was suiting limerick but from now on the enormity of playing in an all Ireland final starts to bite and how they cope.
    For the majority of Galway players this is their fourth final in six years so they have handled it before.
    Galway to win.

Can this nonsense about genuine fans just stop as its pointless.

1. Any genuine fan should have a season ticket, the old excuse of going to all the games but missing out holds

2. You can't stop people getting a ticket who hasn't been there all year or is a neutral.
    How could you possibly enforce that system?.

I go to the final every year. I'm quite happy about it and don't see any reason to 'have a think about myself'. It's a great occasion, the highlight of the year for all hurling fans and it's like my 'Christmas' every year.

Still think there is an element of ‘selfishness’ To this type of attitude. Would such individuals wear a T-shirt or jersey with ‘I’m a neutral’ on front or back to the match...? I would highly doubt it

Can this nonsense about genuine fans just stop as its pointless.

1. Any genuine fan should have a season ticket, the old excuse of going to all the games but missing out holds

2. You can't stop people getting a ticket who hasn't been there all year or is a neutral.
    How could you possibly enforce that system?.

Therefore those neutrals that Hoover up spare tickets should ‘think about themselves’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Still think there is an element of ‘selfishness’ To this type of attitude. Would such individuals wear a T-shirt or jersey with ‘I’m a neutral’ on front or back to the match...? I would highly doubt it

What have t shirts got to do with it?
    I'm a neutral that attends every year & will be hoping to do so Sunday.
    My favourite weekend of the year.
    Who has more entitlement, a neutral that goes to all their own counties games, or a fan from a competing county who will only go to semi final & final

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Horsebox4

Therefore those neutrals that Hoover up spare tickets should ‘think about themselves’

Road Hog, I'm from Kerry and have been to 4 hurling finals in the last 10 years and not just finals, numerous other hurling games each year!! I love hurling, probably more than most that will be there on Sunday! I'm not saying I deserve a ticket but if I got one I would not feel one bit sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Hidalgo wrote: »
    What have t shirts got to do with it?
    I'm a neutral that attends every year & will be hoping to do so Sunday.
    My favourite weekend of the year.
    Who has more entitlement, a neutral that goes to all their own counties games, or a fan from a competing county who will only go to semi final & final
    I work with a man from a joe Mcdonagh county who goes to more games and has more knowledge of the inter county scene than most Liam McCarthy county fans.He goes to games from Croke Park to PUC because he loves the game why would I begrudge him a ticket.
    Let’s all enjoy the game wherever you watch it Sunday

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    'should have a think about themselves'

My grandfather was at over 50 football and hurling All Ireland finals in a row before he passed away. He used to tell me stories of him and his mates making their way to Dublin for the finals in the 40s and 50s and how they'd be setting off at 4 or 5am in the morning. Getting the breakfast in Dublin, sitting out on the concrete benches that used to line the sidelines in Croke Park, seeing great players play in historic times, having drinks afterwards and on the way home.

And he wouldnt be the only one. There are countless GAA supporters all over the country who go to All Ireland finals. the final is the showpiece of the sport. It doesnt belong to just 2 counties, it belongs to us all. Granted, the neutral being 'selfish' may not have as much passion as some supporter from that county participating, but he or she will be the one at their clubs next match, at their counties preseason competition, at the league games, at the championship games. Watching everything, loving the sport.

Every year we hear the same aul guff. The poor genuine supporters who go to every single league and championship match. Thankfully, that can now be put to bed with the season ticket. If the genuine supporter goes to every single game, they should have a season ticket and they'd have their final ticket. Also, if they were really a genuine fan, then they'd be well connected to other outlets of where to get a ticket.

Yes, the premium level will have the suits who are only there for the occasion. But at the same time, those corporate boxes and premium levels are there for sponsors and people who put a considerable amount of money back into the game. Its an unfortunate necessity, but the game needs sponsors. If their reward for sponsoring is to have clients and a big day out, then so be it.

And what of the counties who never get to an AI final? Should those people who love the GAA not ever be allowed to experience a final day? The buzz, the colour, the scenes? Should they have a think about themselves too whilst the bandwagon drunken mess of a fan from the county who barely knows his team and will not be seen again until 10 months time if they get to the latter stages?

People go on about the genuine fans and what not, but take this year alone, all teams in the final will have moans about not getting tickets and have been to every game. Yet all 4 teams have played to crowds of 11,500; 6,500; 8,300 and 18,500 in grounds that could have catered for more than double all those figures. And note, that is the attendance for both counties there, not just the fans from one county alone.

So no, I dont believe supporters of hurling or football who want to go to the All Ireland final are selfish or should think about themselves. The game belongs to everyone, not just the counties involved.

Agree with you.

If supporters of a county want to be guaranteed a ticket if their county is in it, they should get a season ticket.

The problem I think is that the county boards are giving more of their allocation to the local sponsors, businesses and pre match banquets so that the prawn sandwiches have a better chance of getting them.
    This means the ordinary Joe soap from a club has less chance as their club receives lesser allocation from the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭audrey2014

Got my ticket last night thank god. I was fairly sweating....

As for the media hype, I don't think its too bad at the moment here in Limerick. They're a grand bunch of level headed lads and I think they can do it. **** the mind games from certain elements of the Galway camp on the radio yesterday. Remember, Galway were a bunch of chokers not long ago...how many big games did they blow?

Anyway, may the best team win. Both are similar teams and theyll be more evenly matched than other counties.

I for one would sell my soul to the devil for a Limerick All Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Motivator wrote: »
    My wife is from Cork and I went to the 2013 final and replay as a “neutral”.

Not a neutral the first day surely with Waterford in (and winning) the minor match

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭CowGoesMoo100

Great match-up. A team that finishes so strongly with huge impact off the bench against a team that always seem to do enough late in games to get over the line. People are very quick to criticise this Galway team and their perceived lack of killer instinct in putting teams away but I would argue that it is a mark of champions to be able to constantly do enough to get the job done even when they are on the ropes and one blow away from being knocked out. They have had so many games go down to the wire over the past 2 years yet haven't lost a championship match since 2016. That's no fluke. In the heat of battle when it's all on the line they just seem to make the right decisions or steal a crucial score here, make a big catch there. The occasion won't faze them. Galway by 3.

kala85 wrote: »
    This year of all years you'll get one above
    Really? I would have thought the opposite. Huge demand with Limerick involved surely.

Really? I would have thought the opposite. Huge demand with Limerick involved surely.

Sorry I meant to say that for the football all Ireland.

Tickets for the hurling will be like gold dust

conor05 wrote: »

Very high. I went up the day of the final last year and got one outside Quinn’s at 12

Don’t know why but tickets seem harder to come by this year. Hope your right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

For all the talk of suits in the premium level, I dont think ive ever actually seen someone in a suit there bar the staff. Or to use it metaphorically, it's not exactly filled with corporate types. The entire Davin and a good portion of the Cusack are just regular GAA fans who are happy to pay the grand to two grand a year for the seat. The ones bought by companies generally end up in the hands of normal fans from the counties involved. The GAA doesnt have a massive "social event junkies" or upper class following like say Rugby that would see huge amounts of non supporters attending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

I've been offered free tickets through a lad I know but I must see on things before I can go. He said that there's lots of tickets turning up from other counties. I wouldn't be too worried yet anyone without, bound to be loads more circulating tomorrow and onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Limerick man based in Dublin, looking for any where in the ground if people hear of anything..

Thanks guys!

Advertisement