Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Kfagan10 wrote: »
    Maybe read the plans? They aim to replace trees that need to be removed.

Don’t have any inclination to read them. I’m sure they do plan on replacing them. But no doubt removing “mature trees “ is a another smokescreen to be used for the nimbies. They plan on removing a metre or two of gardens in most cases and giving them a hell of a lot more TAXPAYER money than I’d give them. There’s 1400 properties effected. Not 140,000 , just do it, don’t dilute the plans down as usual , just bloody get on with it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is there anywhere on the website where they have estimated journey times for the new routes? That's all I really care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere on the website where they have estimated journey times for the new routes? That's all I really care about.

The "Easy to read" section contains the journey time for each corridor if you click into it here https://www.busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridor-project/

e.g. Liffey Valley to city centre https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1458/easy-to-read-liffey-valley-to-city-centre-final.pdf

The improvements given are quite optimistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The initial report from June of last year shows indicative improvement times.

https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1395/busconnects-report-june-2018-final-web-low-res.pdf

However I think that some of them are wildly optimistic.

sharper wrote: »
    The "Easy to read" section contains the journey time for each corridor if you click into it here https://www.busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridor-project/

e.g. Liffey Valley to city centre https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1458/easy-to-read-liffey-valley-to-city-centre-final.pdf

The improvements given are quite optimistic though.

Thanks although the corridor is only a part of the journey and it's a fairly vague looking number they give.

For my own circumstances I can't see how the redesigned schedules and stops will improve anything. Maybe the improvements to the roads will help but as you said, seems optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Thanks although the corridor is only a part of the journey and it's a fairly vague looking number they give.

The difficulty is bus connects covers a number of areas - redesigning the network, improving the bus corridors and also other changes like ticketing upgrades. You can imagine if almost everyone is using a leap card and the machine reader is itself faster then there's an improvement in dwell time which speeds up the journey.

To get a better idea of journey time you might need to take a look at the estimated times for the network redesign. Those are slightly harder to interpret because they also include time waiting for the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cgcsb wrote: »
    The Ringsend one indicates that there will be a 2 way segregated cycle track on Lombard St East. Very handy.

I noticed that too - hopefully that is the case as it's a very heavily used route for cyclists and the current layout is terrible. There's loads of space on the street for a 2 way track protected by parking (they'd probably have to remove parking from one side of the street, and the tie-in at Westland Row could be tricky).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

loyatemu wrote: »
    I noticed that too - hopefully that is the case as it's a very heavily used route for cyclists and the current layout is terrible. There's loads of space on the street for a 2 way track protected by parking (they'd probably have to remove parking from one side of the street, and the tie-in at Westland Row could be tricky).

Indeed it all looks very positive for bikes. If we get the liffey cycle route, fitzwilliam, Lombard st, The Royal, grand canal and dodder greenway extensions plus all the bus connects routes, we won't be a million miles from Copenhagen standards. The big outstanding issues for cycle routes after that is, contraflow on one way streets, cyclists need to be able to travel safely in both directions on every street.

sharper wrote: »
    The difficulty is bus connects covers a number of areas - redesigning the network, improving the bus corridors and also other changes like ticketing upgrades. You can imagine if almost everyone is using a leap card and the machine reader is itself faster then there's an improvement in dwell time which speeds up the journey.

To get a better idea of journey time you might need to take a look at the estimated times for the network redesign. Those are slightly harder to interpret because they also include time waiting for the bus.

Only thing I can see is a time range for the frequency of the buses:

https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1297/map-2-proposed-all-day-network-big-picture.pdf

Then on each of the corridors if gives a current time and and a vague estimated new time.

You really should be able to input your starting point, destination and it gives a before and length of journey estimate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Only thing I can see is a time range for the frequency of the buses:

https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1297/map-2-proposed-all-day-network-big-picture.pdf

Then on each of the corridors if gives a current time and and a vague estimated new time.

You really should be able to input your starting point, destination and it gives a before and length of journey estimate.

I could have sworn there was something like this. You'd put in your location and it would show you the areas you could reach in 30,45 and 60 minutes. I tried looking a while ago and couldn't find anything though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I could have sworn there was something like this. You'd put in your location and it would show you the areas you could reach in 30,45 and 60 minutes. I tried looking a while ago and couldn't find anything though.

There was, when the site was first launched, not there any more.

That related to the revised network plan, which frankly has been rendered somewhat obsolete by recent frequency increases across the network (it assumed frequency reductions on radial routes to deliver increased orbital services).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It seems to have been taken down. It was here. I gather a lot of people misunderstood the method used to calculate journey time, despite the fact that it was explained as well as could be on the website itself.

Bit of a shambles really.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

CatInABox wrote: »
    It seems to have been taken down. It was here. I gather a lot of people misunderstood the method used to calculate journey time, despite the fact that it was explained as well as could be on the website itself.

I presume it was taken down as the proposed network is being amended as a result of the consultation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BusConnects debate from the Dail yesterday, where the NTA are planning on running "hyperlanes" through Templeogue and creating traffic gridlock

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2019-02-27a.238

hyperlane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

hyperlane?

From the above link
    a "hyperlane", consisting of two car lanes, two bus lanes and two cycle lanes, running through the village. How are people supposed to cross from one side of the village to the other with that type of structure in place? ...

....we destroy communities by building these hyper-lanes down roads that do not need to be built.....

If they're inventing their own nomenclature to further dramatise their hysteria, perhaps that afternoon glass of red with the times and a valium needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If they're inventing their own nomenclature to further dramatise their hysteria, perhaps that afternoon glass of red with the times and a valium needs to stop.

That was brophy (the politician) who coined the phrase. What a half wit.

• Advertisement

Like do people out there think that they're Bree Vandercamp/Helen Lovejoy? who are these people, where do you find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'd have had him as reasonably sensible until now, shame to see this. The small changes to Templeogue village are being spun as if it was a vision of bucolic joy, a verdant area that never had traffic in it until now. Having worked in the Morgue many years ago, the reality has always been somewhat different.

Templeogue Village has one of the least 'villagey' feels of any of the South Dublin villages imho. It's also really unpleasant (and verging on dangerous) to cycle through with the multitude of busy vehicular entrances, badly laid out bus stops, cars parallel parked and cars trying to reverse out of in front of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Templeogue Village has one of the least 'villagey' feels of any of the South Dublin villages imho. It's also really unpleasant (and verging on dangerous) to cycle through with the multitude of busy vehicular entrances, badly laid out bus stops, cars parallel parked and cars trying to reverse out of in front of shops.

Cars parallel parked in Templeogue are not a problem, it’s the perpendicularly parked ones which are a menace.

The real issue in Terenure, Rathgar and Rathmines is where all the displaced traffic is going to go as a result of the proposed road closures, particularly that displaced from Templeogue Road.

There’s significant west-east traffic along that route which has serious implications for other roads in the area. It’s also noteworthy that the right turn off Templeogue Road inbound onto Rathdown Avenue is not proposed to be banned (from looking at the plans), and that could create a massive increase in traffic flow on what is principally a residential road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The real issue in Terenure, Rathgar and Rathmines is where all the displaced traffic is going to go as a result of the proposed road closures, particularly that displaced from Templeogue Road.

There’s significant west-east traffic along that route which has serious implications for other roads in the area. It’s also noteworthy that the right turn off Templeogue Road inbound onto Rathdown Avenue is not proposed to be banned (from looking at the plans), and that could create a massive increase in traffic flow on what is principally a residential road.

Traffic often disappears rather than being displaced

It’s also noteworthy that the right turn off Templeogue Road inbound onto Rathdown Avenue is not proposed to be banned (from looking at the plans), and that could create a massive increase in traffic flow on what is principally a residential road.

It already has plenty of ratrunners, and frequently in the morning a tailback from the lights on Rathfarnham Road to the roundabout at Rathdown Crescent.

RayCun wrote: »
    It already has plenty of ratrunners, and frequently in the morning a tailback from the lights on Rathfarnham Road to the roundabout at Rathdown Crescent.

With respect this is a whole new ball game.

We aren’t dealing with solely citybound traffic here - there’s a huge volume of west-east traffic that will be re-routed and this proposal has serious implications for traffic flows - that to me is what needs focussing on.

Traffic often disappears rather than being displaced

Not from a main arterial route it doesn’t.

At least be realistic about this.

There are wider implications to these plans.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not against them per se but I can see problems that will need addressing.

• Advertisement

With respect this is a whole new ball game.

We aren’t dealing with solely citybound traffic here - there’s a huge volume of west-east traffic that will be re-routed and this proposal has serious implications for traffic flows - that to me is what needs focussing on.

1. Describing Rathdown Avenue as "principally a residential road" suggests it is an oasis of calm that is going to be turned into a major thoroughfare by the nefarious planners. But at peak times it is already in heavy use.

2. As LeinsterDub said, there is no reason to believe the level of traffic is a constant. If buses and cycling become more attractive options, and driving becomes less attractive, the number of cars will be reduced. Maybe those people who continue to drive will have longer waits in Rathdown - but there are fewer of them than there are bus passengers who will see journey times cut.

Advertisement