Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

was quite surprised to see that even Manchester has quite a basic standard of bus service. Like you say every stop is made a meal of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

cgcsb wrote: »
    was quite surprised to see that even Manchester has quite a basic standard of bus service. Like you say every stop is made a meal of.

Manchester and the other big urban centres were absolutely shafted by privatisation. I read somehwere that Manchester at one stage had 23 different companies, all with individual (and exclusive) operation structures.

Bottom line re: the UK. If London is exempt, it’s going to fail.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭prunudo

CatInABox wrote: »

Love the reply to that tweet :D

Edit. Actually I don't love it, its quiet depressing that serious conversations about important public infrastructure get bogged down by either fantasists that want hyper loops or objectors who just want everything to be like it was/is.

Qrt wrote: »
    Manchester and the other big urban centres were absolutely shafted by privatisation. I read somehwere that Manchester at one stage had 23 different companies, all with individual (and exclusive) operation structures.

Bottom line re: the UK. If London is exempt, it’s going to fail.

It's sort of Europe's America in terms of PT. Cycling in British cities is cat, even London has poor to very poor provision for cycling. Belfast and London are the only UK cities with a bike scheme, although I think lately Glasgow and Cardiff are getting in on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

jvan wrote: »
    Love the reply to that tweet :D

Edit. Actually I don't love it, its quiet depressing that serious conversations about important public infrastructure get bogged down by either fantasists that want hyper loops or objectors who just want everything to be like it was/is.

That "Dublin Loop" looper is continuously pushing that s***e all over the place, he's even going along to public meetings pushing it as well. Let's not invest in a proven mode of transport, instead, let's invest in a mode of transport that doesn't exist yet!

Had a listen to that there myself, it's a very good update on where everything is currently.

That "Dublin Loop" looper is continuously pushing that s***e all over the place, he's even going along to public meetings pushing it as well. Let's not invest in a proven mode of transport, instead, let's invest in a mode of transport that doesn't exist yet!

I see he has one of them paid facebook pages, ya know the ones that FB recommends. Poor thing, hope he's not spending his own money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭crushproof

D4 homes and embassy to forfeit garden land over BusConnects

More utter tosh from the Irish Times. My blood is boiling after watching the video on he website. Each house they were outside had two cars in the driveway and then the old chap is complaining about a 6 lane motorway. Such nonsense!
    "Oh and it will be so difficult coming out of the driveway and having to cross a cycle lane because you know cyclists don't normally observe the rules of the road" What? You are coming onto the carriageway, it's up to you to see if its safe to enter the road.

Jesus christ I am sick and tired of the rubbish spouted by these idiots. It's infuriating because these are the folk that are rich enough to hire lawyers and fight their case while the rest of us plebs suffer so that they can keep their 5 car driveways and on road parking. And then it's bye bye BusConnects :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

crushproof wrote: »

More utter tosh from the Irish Times. My blood is boiling after watching the video on he website. Each house they were outside had two cars in the driveway and then the old chap is complaining about a 6 lane motorway. Such nonsense!
    "Oh and it will be so difficult coming out of the driveway and having to cross a cycle lane because you know cyclists don't normally observe the rules of the road" What? You are coming onto the carriageway, it's up to you to see if its safe to enter the road.

Jesus christ I am sick and tired of the rubbish spouted by these idiots. It's infuriating because these are the folk that are rich enough to hire lawyers and fight their case while the rest of us plebs suffer so that they can keep their 5 car driveways and on road parking. And then it's bye bye BusConnects :mad:

“They are proposing to convert a two-lane road into a six lane highway it will totally destroy the lane. The traffic is is already constant . With a car lane, a bus lane and a cycle lane on both sides it’s going to make it virtually impossible for people to exit their houses.”

I didn't realise the bus lane was going to be directly outside their front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

crushproof wrote: »

Quite incredible that a so-called respectable media outlet would entertain a complaint from a motorist about having to look out for cyclists. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cgcsb wrote: »
    I see he has one of them paid facebook pages, ya know the ones that FB recommends. Poor thing, hope he's not spending his own money.

Also Twitter. Not cheap - wonder if there's external funding from someone looking to hamper realistic projects

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is there any statutory ABP basis for the consultations underway at the moment

L1011 wrote: »
    Also Twitter. Not cheap - wonder if there's external funding from someone looking to hamper realistic projects

It'd be a poor attempt to be fair, much easier o get on a nimby bandwaggon. Perhaps a tesla promotional video?

https://twitter.com/BusConnects/status/1110875169722167296

September for the second consultation

Once again, the Dublin Inquirer is showing the rest of the media in Ireland how to do a balanced deep dive on a subject.

As Public Consultation on BusConnects Continues, Groups Mobilise to Fight Their Corners

How I wish the writing in our national media was of this standard.

I'm going to subscribe to these guys actually, I can't ignore the difference in quality anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yeah I think for a fiver a month it's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Once again, the Dublin Inquirer is showing the rest of the media in Ireland how to do a balanced deep dive on a subject.

As Public Consultation on BusConnects Continues, Groups Mobilise to Fight Their Corners

How I wish the writing in our national media was of this standard.

I'm going to subscribe to these guys actually, I can't ignore the difference in quality anymore.

from the article:

In the urban villages above, residents’ groups and the cycle campaign are “natural allies”, Baker says. “We’re on the same page. They want an urban village. We want to see less traffic.”

I have some sympathy for the complaints about some of the proposals being over-engineered, but I suspect the residents groups mentioned want an urban village they can still drive into from any direction and park their cars wherever they want (see what happened in Santry).

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

loyatemu wrote: »
    from the article:

In the urban villages above, residents’ groups and the cycle campaign are “natural allies”, Baker says. “We’re on the same page. They want an urban village. We want to see less traffic.”

I have some sympathy for the complaints about some of the proposals being over-engineered, but I suspect the residents groups mentioned want an urban village they can still drive into from any direction and park their cars wherever they want (see what happened in Santry).
    I suspect you're right:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/stoneybatter-locals-say-bus-corridor-plan-risks-making-a-mess-of-village-1.3836890

I absolutely hate this kind of thinking:
    “Villages close to the city are rare, and they’re great. They’re lovely little hubs. If cars don’t have access to the little businesses down there, they’re going to suffer. There’s going to be trucks making deliveries pulling up in a bus lane.

I've never gone into a cafe and seen a car sitting there, drinking a latte.

• Advertisement

I absolutely hate this kind of thinking:

I've never gone into a cafe and seen a car sitting there, drinking a latte.

Incidently cars will still be allowed in Stoneybatter and Terenure, but of course the restrictions are on cars using these villages as commuter routes. Stoneybatter being used by motor enthusiasts as a through road offers no benefit to local business.

An update from the other side of the world here on their experience with a BusConnects style project, Auckland is getting close to it's target of doubling the number of journeys on public transport in the last ten years. It was at 60 million when the project started, and is currently at 100 million with three and a bit years to spare. See here.

Jarrett Walker also had a hand in that project, at least at the start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Here begins the scaling back of the project before it could even get off its feet, from the leader of the green party nonetheless capitulating to wealthy homeowners in South Dublin again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/busconnects-redesign-could-save-front-gardens-eamon-ryan-1.3863764
    Front gardens and trees could be saved if the National Transport Authority’s (NTA) BusConnects plans were redesigned, Green Party leader Eamon Ryan has said.

He done the same with Metrolink

The Green Party needs to change its name to the alt right private motorist and wealthy property owner party. Same tactics as with metrolink, offer some vague, uncosted and undersigned alternative that sounds great to the uneducated reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

"The plans should be redesigned to “throttle back” the provision for cars while maintaining bus and cycle facilities and leaving residences intact, he said."

So, basically keep their gardens in tact while rendering their driveways useless?
    The residents don't specifically use the cars in these driveways to get to town as they will be using their cars for other uses such as countryside visits or getting to places which aren't as easy to get to by bus or other means of public transport.

What planet is this guy on?

Rather than always having a four-lane solution, you could use traffic lights [to give buses and cyclists priority]. In that way you may not have to take out the front gardens.

Complete and total idiocy. The whole purpose of the four-lane solution is to provide a lane for cars, a lane for buses and a lane for cyclists per direction. Ideally, each lane should be dedicate to their respective road user group so as to deter members of one group from encroaching on those from another.

Having examined the proposals, I still see the same design flaws which plague the current mess such as bus lanes and cycle lanes criss-crossing and the classic shared bus and cycle lane in parts which is completely self-defeating.

Don't get me wrong. For the most part, it is a massive improvement on what is there currently. However, continuous segregated lanes for each road user, I feel, the most efficient solution.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

1huge1 wrote: »
    Here begins the scaling back of the project before it could even get off its feet, from the leader of the green party nonetheless capitulating to wealthy homeowners in South Dublin again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/busconnects-redesign-could-save-front-gardens-eamon-ryan-1.3863764

He done the same with Metrolink
    He was given a nice dose of reality by the NTA at the Oireachtas Committee a few weeks back. All conveniently forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Is it not a massive waste to spend €2bn on buses and not have traffic calming measures to reduce traffic?

I agree that bus priority traffic lights won't solve bus times lol. But what about local traffic only on this roads between 7-9 and 5:30-6? Or make all those roads one way only?

That way you get bus lanes and less space for private cars = less congestion. If that's what he's fighting for I think it's a good thing, as we've seen the media is bad at reporting transport issues, he mate have made some better points too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dats me wrote: »
    Is it not a massive waste to spend €2bn on buses and not have traffic calming measures to reduce traffic?

I agree that bus priority traffic lights won't solve bus times lol. But what about local traffic only on this roads between 7-9 and 5:30-6? Or make all those roads one way only?

That way you get bus lanes and less space for private cars = less congestion. If that's what he's fighting for I think it's a good thing, as we've seen the media is bad at reporting transport issues, he mate have made some better points too.

The NTA suggested a one way road somewhere else as part of Busconnects (was it around Santry?) and there was uproar from locals over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryan is more concerned with retaining a few votes than retaining gardens.

• Advertisement

Dats me wrote: »

Bus Connects is basically one big traffic calming measure, a large amount of car commuters will have their driving routes diverted and heavily down graded.

Advertisement