Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm looking at buying a house on Lower Kimmage Road. Lots of "Community not Corridor" signs in local houses - I really don't get this, they're maintaining local access and removing through car access, why don't locals want this it will lead to a reduction in car traffic outside their house, there's no CPO there.
    I really think the locals haven't read anything themselves and are just taking at face value the fake news being peddled by the usual suspects.

It's the same with Dunville avenue, closing it to cars = quieter, safer, more child friendly street, this increases property value, surely any nimby worth their salt would jump at this. If it were always a cul de sac and the proposal was to turn it into a through road, I'd understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

I'm looking at buying a house on Lower Kimmage Road. Lots of "Community not Corridor" signs in local houses - I really don't get this, they're maintaining local access and removing through car access, why don't locals want this it will lead to a reduction in car traffic outside their house, there's no CPO there.
    I really think the locals haven't read anything themselves and are just taking at face value the fake news being peddled by the usual suspects.

Even with an increase in buses, the exclusion of through cars will mean less traffic overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'm expecting similar protests soon in Stoneybatter up to top of Old Cabra road the awful local consultation plus complete lack of "you will be very affected by this" notices will almost guarantee it.

Starting to get post in the door now from local councillors on this, it will be an election issue .

to move it locally this will force a lot of traffic down Annamoe and other side streets to get down instead.

Add to that the locals will be unable to get to the local big shopping centre (Tesco on the Navan Road, the one on Prussia street is going to close ) as you cant drive up Old Cabra road nearly guarantees this will not fly. Unless they open the locked entrance on Dunard road.

I'm not seeing anyone as the local owners of these routes, someone you can point at and say john this bit wont fly here who just focuses on that bit.

trellheim wrote: »
    to move it locally this will force a lot of traffic down Annamoe and other side streets to get down instead.

There will be no left turn allowed from North Circular road to Prussia st. This will close the Annamoe rat running option.
    Add to that the locals will be unable to get to the local big shopping centre (Tesco on the Navan Road, the one on Prussia street is going to close ) as you cant drive up Old Cabra road nearly guarantees this will not fly. Unless they open the locked entrance on Dunard road.

I'm not seeing anyone as the local owners of these routes, someone you can point at and say john this bit wont fly here who just focuses on that bit.

With Lidl open on Brunswick st, I wouldn't worry about Stoneybatter residents trying to access Tesco Cabra.

To access Tesco from Stoneybatter, turn left on to Aughrim st, turn right on to Glenbeigh avenue, turn left onto the navan road, pretty simple.

benefits: drastic reduction of cars commuting through Stoneybatter. Much better bus connections to the rest of the city.

With Lidl open on Brunswick st, I wouldn't worry about Stoneybatter residents trying to access Tesco Cabra.

To access Tesco from Stoneybatter, turn left on to Aughrim st, turn right on to Glenbeigh avenue, turn left onto the navan road, pretty simple.

benefits: drastic reduction of cars commuting through Stoneybatter. Much better bus connections to the rest of the city.
    cgcsb is offline Report Post

Um... not really

There's a lidl on Old cabra Road as well but thats not my point. Tesco is very heavily used by local residents from Stoneybatter on up and that is not going to change. Ramming traffic up an already crowded housing estate like Glenbeigh, already a nasty rat-run is a trite answer, and the same point is probably why the back gate at Dunard is not open either.

No left turn down Prussia st just means traffic will reroute via Rathdown, Grangegorman and Kirwan St; it will not stop Annamoe becoming a complete rat-run or Aughrim st becoming 50 times worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

Lower Kimmage Road is from the KCR down to Harold’s Cross afaik, so while the Sundrive Road/Harold’s Cross section is a mere bus gate, the KCR/Sundrive Road section is set to be CPO’d. I’m guessing the residents’ association are just operating as one, solidarity and all that. I can. A lot of the gardens on this stretch are fairly meagre in sized too, so I can understand some opposition.

Needless to say, the “no to the F spine” is a load of s***. Imagine arguing against an improved bus service?

Um... not really

There's a lidl on Old cabra Road as well but thats not my point. Tesco is very heavily used by local residents from Stoneybatter on up and that is not going to change. Ramming traffic up an already crowded housing estate like Glenbeigh, already a nasty rat-run is a trite answer, and the same point is probably why the back gate at Dunard is not open either.

No left turn down Prussia st just means traffic will reroute via Rathdown, Grangegorman and Kirwan St; it will not stop Annamoe becoming a complete rat-run or Aughrim st becoming 50 times worse.

Propose an alternative solution for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

cgcsb wrote: »
    Propose an alternative solution for the area.

Solutions are not for the naysayers they are for the NTA and others to come up with. When the naysayers will of course return to tear down the solution. Wash, rinse, repeat

Qrt wrote: »

Needless to say, the “no to the F spine” is a load of s***. Imagine arguing against an improved bus service?

This is a truly sorry state of affairs. The system is just to consultative, a little information can be dangerous.

I take Trellheim's point regarding redistribution of traffic, but this poster is conflating car traffic on a road with water in a pipe, i.e. an unchanging and constant force to be accommodated. Traffic isn't like water it can flow uphill, or even disappear entirely. This solution has been modeled much better than simple pipe-flow calculations and found to be a good option. Anyboddy who's gotten a peak hour bus between Blanch and the CC during the rush will tell you that the worst part of the journey is Old Cabra Rd/Prussia st (where about half the journey time is spent) followed by the north quays. The CBC for Blanch removes that problem the mummies doing the school runs will have to wait and use diversions for sure, but more importantly those with any sense will change to more efficient modes.

• Advertisement

The assumption here is that the greater good is served by disrupting the local community - in this case Manor St/Prussia St/Stonybatter. In this case Blanch-CC is the overriding rather than improving the local . I see the point of course but not at any cost and it doesnt benefit us much

As a frequent bus user between Hanlons Corner and the CC the majority wait is at the 4 courts it should really be a double bus lane inbound there

Outbound , savage enforcement of bus lanes at blackhall place, plus cutting the rat run from Arbour Hill to Nth Brunswick St will fix most of it ( this also accounts for a lot of blockage inbound as well )

Added to all this the absolute brutal lack of consultation for (and I mean specifically for) the local area nearly guarantees this is not a runner in a local election year.

The assumption here is that the greater good is served by disrupting the local community - in this case Manor St/Prussia St/Stonybatter. In this case Blanch-CC is the overriding rather than improving the local . I see the point of course but not at any cost and it doesnt benefit us much

As a frequent bus user between Hanlons Corner and the CC the majority wait is at the 4 courts it should really be a double bus lane inbound there

Outbound , savage enforcement of bus lanes at blackhall place, plus cutting the rat run from Arbour Hill to Nth Brunswick St will fix most of it ( this also accounts for a lot of blockage inbound as well )

Added to all this the absolute brutal lack of consultation for (and I mean specifically for) the local area nearly guarantees this is not a runner in a local election year.

So you're ignoring the Old Cabra road/ Prussia st because it doesn't affect you that directly? Are you capable of looking beyond the end of your own nose, even momentarily?

I reject your contention that the current plan represents significant disruption for Stoneybatter, in fact the direct result will be lower through traffic, a net positive for the community. Also you're talking to someone who was born, raised and currently lives in Stoneybatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

I really don't get the "lack of consultation" point, this is literally public consultation right now.

Or do you mean engagement, that they should hold local meetings etc? A point against that is that they held ones nearly every day for 2 months for the redesign and it's not like it went down well still.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The details of the infrastructure plans along the remaining six corridors are due to be published today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Unless they are losing the ability to park in their gardens... FCUK them!

The key missing element of it all is the City Centre, I guess that the liffey cycle route will cover most of this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/BusConnects/status/1100328305406947328

Phase 2 consultation extended. Complaints about the level of consultation are ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BusConnects/status/1100328305406947328

Phase 2 consultation extended. Complaints about the level of consultation are ridiculous at this stage.

People in this country seem to mistake "consultation" with "getting your own way".

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The details of the infrastructure plans along the remaining six corridors are due to be published today.

All up now:

https://www.busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridor-project/

No real surprises. General public seems uninterested. The network redesign has taken about 95% of the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd hoped for some indication of the Metrolink station locations in the Ballymun corridor, but they've essentially ignored it except for a paragraph saying that it'll be hooking in.

Ah well. Not long to wait now anyway.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd hoped for some indication of the Metrolink station locations in the Ballymun corridor, but they've essentially ignored it except for a paragraph saying that it'll be hooking in.

Ah well. Not long to wait now anyway.

They've committed a fatal error here. There is no outbound bus stops anywhere near the proposed Metro/DART interchange. So much for the good connections Bus Connects set out to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭tommythecat

That Kimmage to city centre proposed cycle route is an abomination. How someone in their right mind could actually come up with that as a feasible option is beyond me. It literally adds kilometres to someones commute to town and you get the privilege of sharing dangerous local access roads with on street parking to boot. It's clear whomever came up with that never cycled a day in their lives. People will just continue to use the bus lane. I have my comments sent in I just hope enough other people do as well.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

The Ringsend one looks great for the quays in terms of cycling.

But Jesus Christ the fact that cycling is the first to go when space is an issue is infuriating! Who's going to cycle from Bray if there aren't any bus stop bypasses, why would you prioritise private car space in a Bus and cycling project?

Even is the SW where most of the opposition is so far, it seems as if people would actual be up for limiting car traffic to local only if it saved their gardens, why is this fact not being used to have wide, segregated, accessible cycle paths everywhere.

I hope cycling people are making submissions and that they'll be taken into account, otherwise it's a bit of a wasted opportunity with the lack of ambition.

The Ringsend one indicates that there will be a 2 way segregated cycle track on Lombard St East. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A couple of interesting changes are highlighted from the Blackrock to Merrion corridor proposal leaflet.

This is for the northbound bus shelter situated on Stradbrook Road near the traffic lights & junction for Monkstown Road. The existing northbound bus shelter located for the 4 & 84/a opposite The Butler's Pantry will be proposed to move up & placed to a new location around the pedestrian walkway opening into St Vincent's Park. This move will be very helpful for relieving traffic being built up by buses now holding back car traffic behind it while heading down from the traffic lights at the junction of Newtownpark Avenue down to the current bus shelter. There is also the inclusion of a bus lane beginning from the new bus stop outside St Vincents Park to tie-in with the bus lane at Rock Road QBC. There will also be a new bus lane stretching out along the Blackrock bypass to Temple Hill southbound as far as near the traffic lights of the opening at Monkstown Road. This will leave only one lane of general traffic & one bus lane each in each direction on either side of the road.

The map for that proposal is from page 33 to page 36 of the Blackrock to Merrion Road CBC information leaflet.

There are other things that I have concerns with is from Blackrock Clinic along down the two main gates at Blackrock College. The main road is quite narrow to make any meaningful changes to some of the road layout because the section from Seafort Parade to Blackrock Clinic is already really stretched for very valuable road space allocated just for general traffic & bus traffic in both directions. The footpath along either side of that road does struggle to make any useful difference because the amount of cars parked outside the houses along Seafort Parade is an obstacle which cannot be addressed with including more things like cycle lanes to make it functional for pedestrians & cyclists alike. Residents living along that stretch do have their cars parked outside their homes leaving very little realistic amount of space for pedestrians & road traffic.

I know that there is a new proposed boundary to be placed inside the grounds of Blackrock College to include building of a cycle lane near two of their front gates for vehicle traffic. This will involve a CPO process after the NTA begins the process to the local authority planning dept at DLRCC if that school along with Willow Park agrees to that decision of proposing the CPO. But will the two schools in question eventually agree to carrying out this process with the NTA even though the plans are now out in the public domain? The school boards in question will have to discuss this proposed plan in detail once they have their next board meeting. The proposals, as like with any other school affected by plans like this one across any other parts of Dublin, would be discussed with at various PTA meetings to any of the parents of the school children. There is a quite a lot of students there going into those schools who get on or off outside the school by bus. There is a massive rugby pitch along with a long walk way for students near the front gate of the school. Also wedged in right in-between Blackrock Clinic & the walkway leading into Blackrock College; there is a house with a front gate or a big wall & a possibly a big space allocated inside for a car being parked outside the house. The person or people that live wedged that house between those major places of use would probably not be happy to be living in that location with these proposals coming towards their direction.

Also have there been any progress made for the removal of the Merrion Gates LC to date? The CBC proposal leaflet does not highlight those plans in the leaflet yet. One side of the LC at Merrion Gates at Merrion Road has a purple boundary line placed along it. Are these plans listed as separate by DCC & the NTA?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

How about "NTA publishes plan for 16 core bus corridors" or "NTA unveils plan to slash bus journey times in Dublin"

Nah

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/nta-publishes-details-of-over-1-400-dublin-houses-to-lose-gardens-in-bus-plan-1.3807423

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wow, most will lose a whole 1-2m? This farce has gone on too long. Fcuking pathetic! And 800 trees will go? How much pollution will bus connects save?

I’ve sympathy for those on metro link that might lose their homes (apartments) , that is a genuine grievance. To hell with these fourteen hundred. A massive multiple of that number will benefit... if it’s votes they are worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Wow, most will lose a whole 1-2m? This farce has gone on too long. Fcuking pathetic! And 800 trees will go? How much pollution will bus connects save?

I’ve sympathy for those on metro link that might lose their homes (apartments) , that is a genuine grievance. To hell with these fourteen hundred. A massive multiple of that number will benefit... if it’s votes they are worried about.

Maybe read the plans? They aim to replace trees that need to be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

marno21 wrote: »
    How about "NTA publishes plan for 16 core bus corridors" or "NTA unveils plan to slash bus journey times in Dublin"

Nah

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/nta-publishes-details-of-over-1-400-dublin-houses-to-lose-gardens-in-bus-plan-1.3807423

Not only have they gone with that inflamitory headline, it's actually bull****, and they know it is, because this is the 2nd line in their article:

The NTA has published details of 390 households out of a total of more than 1400 that stand to lose part of their gardens.

Advertisement