Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Amber 123

Hi all, sorry for the silence on this end. Work has been crazy! I felt like everything was going great until last week - had a post coital bleed, then my doctor decided that my bump was on the big side so tested my for gestational diabetes (don't have the results yet). When I had the bleed they took a swab and diagnosed me as GBS positive based on this swab. Didn't even know that GBS was a thing. OB said not to worry, it's "just a bug" and they will administer antibiotics during labour to protect the baby. Then I read half the internet and frightened the life out of myself. Anyone else any experience of GBS? Feeling angry with my body for all of these complications and wishing it could just do the job properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

Sorry to hear that Amber. I never heard of that before now. Sounds like once it's treated it won't be an issue though? Stop reading the internet! That will give you a heart attack every time :)
    I felt absolutely fine 2 weeks ago and then all of a sudden, BAM, third trimester woes hit me hard and I suddenly feel VERY pregnant. Swollen feet, hobbling with terrible back pain (seeing a physio tomorrow) and my belly seems to have tripled in size and won't stop itching. Pregnancy hormones and feeling cr@p not helping this week plus the fact everyone seems to point out how big I've got when I see them. Not looking forward to another 12 weeks of this...
    On the plus, all good with baby (who is kicking up a storm) and nurse says I am correct size for 28 weeks. It will all be worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Amber 123 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry for the silence on this end. Work has been crazy! I felt like everything was going great until last week - had a post coital bleed, then my doctor decided that my bump was on the big side so tested my for gestational diabetes (don't have the results yet). When I had the bleed they took a swab and diagnosed me as GBS positive based on this swab. Didn't even know that GBS was a thing. OB said not to worry, it's "just a bug" and they will administer antibiotics during labour to protect the baby. Then I read half the internet and frightened the life out of myself. Anyone else any experience of GBS? Feeling angry with my body for all of these complications and wishing it could just do the job properly!

I was GBS positive on my first and will be assumed the same for this. I didn’t have antibiotic coverage in labour because it was too quick. Everything was fine. We had a 48hr hold on baby just to be sure everything was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Oops Dec 2018

Hello all, hope everyone is well. I've been quiet cause the whole family has had the vomiting bug and now kids have hand foot and mouth. Apparently I'll be ok with hand foot and mouth but slapped cheek is a different story - just an FYI. All I know is I'm tired and miserable and just want a break from all this illness.
    Baby is moving big time and I'm beginning to o really slow down. Doc wanted to sign me out today but I've so much work on that im afraid to. I guess I'm afraid of being bypassed at work on account of pregnancy and mat leave...which is terrible, but I guess most working moms feel this way.
    How is everyone else doing?

Hello Oops! :) This thread is extremely quiet. Hope everyone is doing ok.
    Sorry to hear about family sickness. Does the flu shot cover the vomiting bug too? I got this along with whooping cough vaccine last week. My midwife also threatened to get my doc to sign me off as I was having a particularly bad day with my back pain when I went to see her. Still have my ok and bad days but trying to manage the pain. Another 9 weeks for me so not an option to get signed off. I think I would go crazy sitting at home anyway. 
    I'm back to midwife next week but she thinks baby is breach right now so fingers crossed he will have turned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Does the flu shot cover the vomiting bug too?

I don't think so! Had the flu shot but nearly died Monday and Tuesday with a vomiting bug :(

Hope all is well with everyone. I'm still having a fairly easy time of things so can't complain. 6 weeks and counting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 VickySkywalker

Sorry to hear about family sickness. Does the flu shot cover the vomiting bug too? I got this along with whooping cough vaccine last week. My midwife also threatened to get my doc to sign me off as I was having a particularly bad day with my back pain when I went to see her. Still have my ok and bad days but trying to manage the pain. Another 9 weeks for me so not an option to get signed off. I think I would go crazy sitting at home anyway. 
    I'm back to midwife next week but she thinks baby is breach right now so fingers crossed he will have turned.

No, it doesn't. It covers 4 strains of influenza, which are not vomiting bugs but just plain flu (which is terrible, not just a cold). I had my both the whooping cough to protect my baba and the flu one, because I caught the flu twice in my adult life and I was out for 3 weeks ant it took me another three weeks to recover afterwards in both cases. Not an experience I was willing to repeat, especially while pregnant!

I think that things are quiet here because we're super active on the Facebook group. Are you there too?

I hope you guys feel better and that these final weeks are as bearable as possible for you!

Thanks Vicky, I’m not in the Facebook group. I don’t use Facebook a lot but might start to if I can connect more with others due same time as me! May I ask the group name/ How do I join?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

Can I join the December facebook group too please?

Sorry! I got confused! The group is for people in the December 2018 group in Rollercoaster.ie! If you have an account there, the admins can add you if you ask them. :)

Another nice group is the Everymum (former Eumom) one :) You can find a link in the Everymum page :)

• Advertisement

Has anyone started packing bags for the hospital yet? I plan to get them together this weekend. Would anyone have a list they could share of essentials for baby and mom?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Oops Dec 2018

Hi Stella, yup I've started to pack. The Coombe website has a good one and so does Pippa o Connor website. Both say pretty much the same thing.
    I've started washing all my onesies here too and vests etc. I forgot what all the clothes my others had.
    Oh I'm beginning to panic now as I've soooooo much to do. Sort out Christmas for the other kids, get rooms in the house decluttered. And I've zero energy to do them all.
    X

Has anyone started packing bags for the hospital yet? I plan to get them together this weekend. Would anyone have a list they could share of essentials for baby and mom?

Hi! Holles St. also has a very good list http://www.nmh.ie/labour-delivery/your-hospital-bag.13615.html

I'm 33w5d and I finished packing mine last week (started 2 weeks ago with the essentials incase something happened), I'm only missing one towel for me (I'll need to get another dark one), the snacks and a couple of power banks (apart from the charger) just in case :)

There are a couple of things I've added that are not on that list:

1. Bepanthene in case baby has sensitive skin like my husband and I.
    2. Nipple balm in case I need it. Though my sister uses her own colostrum/breast milk after she's done feeding and she never had need for balms! That was recommended by her OB. So in case the colostrum method fails, I'll have the Weleda nipple balm (it has to be safe for baby to eat). I suppose this one is a moot point if you are not breastfeeding, though.
    3. Sports cap water bottle (suggested by women with childbirth experience) to help wash after using the toilet if you get stitches. It's far gentler than toilet roll and more hygienic!
    4. I'll also add the almond oil used for perineal massage (something midwives recommend to help lower the chances of tearing) to help clean up the meconium.
    5. I've packed everything in clearly labeled ziplock bags. Specially complete outfits for baby so that we don't have to faff about in the bag looking for spare bits. But I've also put nappies (15 in one and 10 in another one) and breast pads in those bags to make it easy to distribute stuff instead of being stuck with a box of breast pads and a huge bag of nappies! The only thing I've left in it's original boxes are the maternity pads. They are so big they don't fit into the ziplock bags (though I tried!)
    6. Eye mask and ear plugs in case there are no private rooms available.
    7. Loads of snacks because I'm coeliac, so I've learnt to be prepared to avoid surprises.
    8. a pair of shorts (the hospital can be very warm), T-shirt and toothbrush for my husband.
    9. A spare asthma inhaler in case I need it and forget my main one at home in the rush.
    10. Lip balm for labour ward (apparently your lips can get very dry and chapped)

I've washed and ironed all my baby's clothes because I've studied fashion and have first-hand experience in what chemicals go into clothes and the hygiene standards even in clean warehouses. My husband and I do that with our own clothes every time we get something new (we both have eczema and atopic dermatitis) so I'm used to it. We use an unscented laundry wash and some baby things I had to wash twice to get rid of the smell of chemicals (you might not be able to notice if you use a scented one). The ironing is to kill any virus, bacteria o parasite that might have stuck around even after washing.

I also have a small pile of things that now live on the entry table that I use every day but I'd like to bring with me: some meds, headphones, a basic make up kit (I wear very little make up so it's only 5 items) and my Kindle. :D

I must come across as a very obsessive person, :( but I really am not. I just like things to be organised beforehand to save work when we'll be busy learning how to be parents! And the washing and ironing is a hygiene thing. But I know it's a bit of a luxury... I'm pretty sure that those of you who are not first-time mothers have no time to do all this stuff!

Ok, I think that's all the advice I have :P Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Would anyone be interested if I created a Facebook group for those of us here?

This is fantastic Vicky! Thanks so much. I am going to get mine done I think this week. Better to be organised than caught short at last minute, even if just for peace of mind anyway. I had quite a few cramps/pains this week (more IBS/Bowel related I think) and my Braxton Hicks have upped their game lately too. The midwife was not concerned so while the baby might not be coming it has given me enough of a fright to get my act together.

I'd be interested in joining a facebook group :)

Just wondering are people planing on bottle or breast feeding? This is my first and I really want to breast feed but I'm a little confused on whether I should but bottles, sterilizer, a pump (hand or mechanic?)... Anyone have any advise or what brands they have found to be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

I would really be interested in joining a Facebook group. I'm due no.2 on January 1st but the latest the consultant is gonna let me go is December 21st so hopefully I'll be having a December baby. I'm going to bottle feed; breast feeding didn't work first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tiggerific

Hi all. Hope everyone is well.
    I’d be interested in a facebook group. I’m part of one called ‘Pregnant in Ireland’ on Facebook but I like this thread because everyone is at the same stage as me.

I’m feeling very unprepared at the minute. Still undecided on the big stuff like pram and crib so haven’t got either yet. And have only a few bits packed in the hospital bag and I’ve only 7 weeks left 🙈 I think I’m afraid that I’ll end up picking the wrong thing or brand so I’m putting it off. It’s so hard to know when there’s so many conflicting reviews! 😂

Just wondering are people planing on bottle or breast feeding? This is my first and I really want to breast feed but I'm a little confused on whether I should but bottles, sterilizer, a pump (hand or mechanic?)... Anyone have any advise or what brands they have found to be good?

I'm going to breastfeed. I bought 1 Medela Calma bottle in case I need to hand express for some reason at first. After breastfeeding is established, I'll buy an electric Medela pump and the kit. https://www.medela.com/breastfeeding/products/breast-pumps/swing-maxi

I already bought a steriliser because I found a very good deal :)

I'm going with this brand because I've done some research and it seems like the best. Another big reason is that other mothers recommended it.

Apparently the Calma bottles are the best to avoid interference with breastfeeding because the baby has to drink as they do from the breast.

I'm creating the Facebook group, ladies :) Please PM me so that I can add you. I'll make it a secret group in case you're not telling people :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I've only ever breastfed my babies and will do so again this time. I didn't get bottles or a pump first time around. It's generally not advised to express before 6 weeks anyway until your milk is established. I'd recommend doing any breastfeeding ante natal classes that your hospital organises. I'd also recommend attending your local breastfeeding support group before you have your baby. You'll get lots of advise and it's less daunting arriving with your baby the first time if you've already been. There is a dedicated thread on boards for breastfeeding which is a brilliant source of info. The most important thing you can do is prepare yourself with knowledge of what is normal. It's also important to know where to seek help and support should you need it.

I'd advise getting some lanolin cream and the multimam compresses and breastpads for the first few days and see how you go. Worst case scenario you can pick up some of the ready made formula cartons if it doesn't work out and you haven't wasted money on a pump.

As for pumps in the future I'd recommend reading about open and closed systems. Most of the medala pumps are open meaning it's only recommended you use it for one baby as milk can get into the mechanism and cause mould.

Bottles can also be difficult to settle on too as some babies only take to certain types and sometimes. Some people if they plan on expressing sometimes have to try many different types. With breastfeeding and introducing a bottle paced bottle feeding and recommended.

From the beginning though technically all you'll need is yourself, access to lots of drinking water and snacks, plenty of cushions to prop yourself up and something like Netflix!

Thank you so much Bovril. This is exactly the info and advice I was looking for. I might just hold off on buying bottles and pumps until after baby is born so and hopefully he will take to the boob! Do you have any advice on where to buy the lanolin cream and Mam compresses? They are quite pricey in the pharmacy so was wondering if buying online would be cheaper? Also has anyone used breast angels before? Again quite pricey but wondering if they would be worth it to help establish BF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Thank you so much Bovril. This is exactly the info and advice I was looking for. I might just hold off on buying bottles and pumps until after baby is born so and hopefully he will take to the boob! Do you have any advice on where to buy the lanolin cream and Mam compresses? They are quite pricey in the pharmacy so was wondering if buying online would be cheaper? Also has anyone used breast angels before? Again quite pricey but wondering if they would be worth it to help establish BF?

You can get lanolin in a little tub in the pharmacy for about 7e think. Boots sell it too. There is a branded version by lansinoh in a purple tube that can be priced at 20e. Tesco sell it for 15e. Try get the little tub. The compresses are probably cheapest in boots. You can cut each compress in half to make them last longer as they run at about 15e too.

I've never used the breast angels myself. Never needed them. I've heard a few ladies in my local support group use them if they had cracked nipples and they were a god send. I'd say hold off for now and you can always pick them up if you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Skip lanolin and multimam compresses and just buy the silver breast angels. They have saved many breastfeeding journeys and are completely 100% worth the €50 odd.

Just for info, there is an existing group for Dec births with over 100 of us chatting, it's very active. I've been mostly on that so haven't been here too much, sorry. Check out RC to find a way to message one of the admins of the page for access.

I'll be BFing again once everything works out. I had to express to start last time as I had a sick baby who was born with no suck and he had an NG tube for feeding. Definitely recommend not buying a pump until you have 100% decided to BF. Worst case scenario you can rent a hospital grade one to start.

I personally think the multimam compresses are great and have stocked up.

The best advice I could give for BFing is to do as much research as possible. It isn't always as easy as just whipping out your boob. I really think you need to stick with in 14 days before deciding whether it works for you or not. You need to give yourself and baby a chance to find your way. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out and you can easily pick up formula :)

Thanks Unknown - sorry if I missed in your post but what social media is that Dec babies group on?

Thanks Unknown - sorry if I missed in your post but what social media is that Dec babies group on?

If you go on RollerCoaster and search the Dec 18 Mums2Be group there is a thread for joining the FB group, you'll have to search a bit because I can't remember which one now. There are 136 of us chatting daily and it's a really great resource :)

My partner is starting a new job next month and just informed me he would tell his new boss he would be unavailable to travel from 5 days before my due date.
    I feel really annoyed that he is even considering travelling from week 37 but perhaps I am being unreasonable?

I wouldn’t have anyone else nearby to help me should I go early and as this is my first I’ve no idea when I could expect to go.

What would you ladies think if your partner went traveling up to 5 days before your due date? Would anyone consider labouribg without a birth partner?
    It is a short flight and would be maybe 2 days. If I had someone here with me I guess I’d feel a bit more confident.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd consider a close family member or maybe a doula.

• Advertisement

Hey Stella, was that you added to the group today? It might be closing soon as babies start to arrive so if you want to join be sure to request ASAP :)

Advertisement