Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2018

Options
  • 04-04-2018 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Absolutely delighted to test positive yesterday and reckon I'm due sometime around December 10th :) We've been trying for a second the past few months and were so happy to have a positive test!

I have an 8 month old boy who was born with a rare version of a rare disease, luckily it doesn't cause any cognitive or developmental issues, but it has been very tough with surgeries and almost 5 months spent in Crumlin. If we have another boy it is likely he will have the same disease so in case it happens again we decided to try face it as soon as possible rather than wait a few years and have to face it all again as by age 4 or 5 most of the complications due to the disease should be sorted.

Anyone else due in December?? I'm so happy / nervous...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Congratulations!!! It sounds like you’ll have your hands full with two little ones under 2 :) I’m glad to hear your little boy is doing well, it must have been a tough few months.

I’ve been waiting for December to open! My due date by LMP is 22nd November but I’m fully expecting to be dated a few days later like my other two pregnancies. I have a scan on the 19th! That coupled with going two weeks over on my last two I’m probably better off hanging out in th me December thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Digs wrote: »
    Congratulations!!! It sounds like you’ll have your hands full with two little ones under 2 :) I’m glad to hear your little boy is doing well, it must have been a tough few months.

I’ve been waiting for December to open! My due date by LMP is 22nd November but I’m fully expecting to be dated a few days later like my other two pregnancies. I have a scan on the 19th! That coupled with going two weeks over on my last two I’m probably better off hanging out in th me December thread!

I couldn't believe there wasn't a December thread! Glad to share the news here because we'll try and wait as long as possible before telling family and friends.

My little man was due August 15th but came July 27th :) I'll probably go over this time and end up in hospital over Christmas :rolleyes:

I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday and will probably have the first scan mid May. It's so exciting but will be so different with an infant! How old are your other two?

He arrived early but not too early so! That’s a polite baby. I seem to breed lazy ones they stay in so long.

I have two girls, eldest is 4 almost 5 and the second is 21 months! It’s definitley different on subsequent pregnancies, we don’t appreciate the beauty of a first pregnancy at the time.

I haven’t been to the GP yet but really must to get the combined care forms signed. I was able to self refer to Holles Street online which cuts out the need for a GP for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Had two positive pregnancy test today and think I'm about 4 weeks so due in December. It was a lovely surprise as we have only being trying a few weeks but I am absolutely petrified something will go wrong in the next few weeks. It's our first baby so very new to all this.

loriexxx wrote: »
    Had two positive pregnancy test today and think I'm about 4 weeks so due in December. It was a lovely surprise as we have only being trying a few weeks but I am absolutely petrified something will go wrong in the next few weeks. It's our first baby so very new to all this.

Huge congratulations and hopefully everything will work out well for all the December babies! I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to have the pregnancy confirmed. Excited to get things started officially!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Winterglow

Congratulations ladies I got my positive test, EDD is Dec 15th all going well ,Havn't made doctors appointment yet I am going to try wait a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 VickySkywalker

Hi everybody and congratulations to all of you!

I found out last week :) Due date is the 9th! I'm also in other groups (What to Expect, Baby Centre) but I wanted to join a group of pregnant women in Ireland.

I'm a bit lost. I moved back to Dublin in July last year, after being away from 10 years. Let's say I've been roaming for the past 15 years. So now I'm here again and I don't know if I should choose the semi-private or private option. To those of you who are mothers already, do you have any opinions on the matter?

I'm with Irish Health and they cover 3 days in a private (which I heard is nearly impossible to get) or semi private room and €865 towards consultant fees after admission for delivery (and other things during the pregnancy). Do you know what are the advantages of each system? I've chosen Holles Street and my GP mentioned something about doing some of the checkups at their surgery instead of the Maternity hospital (the first after the ultrasound of week 20). Would that mean I'm going the semi-private route?

I don't know if everyone assumes we all know the basics or if the information is deliberately vague :( I know we're supposed to keep calm, that it's the best for the baby, but until I figure this out, I feel I can't relax.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Winterglow wrote: »
    Congratulations ladies I got my positive test, EDD is Dec 15th all going well ,Havn't made doctors appointment yet I am going to try wait a few weeks

Congrats, My EDD is also the 15th of December. Really want to make a doctors appointment but going to try and hold off until the end of next week, hopefully even at that it's not too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I don't know if everyone assumes we all know the basics or if the information is deliberately vague I know we're supposed to keep calm, that it's the best for the baby, but until I figure this out, I feel I can't relax.

Hi jumping in from October thread to agree that I found the GP very vague and not really considerate of how big of a deal this is for me, no matter how routine it is for her! I ended up walking back in to have her clarify the whole conversation but still didn't feel it was clear. Could they not have leaflet like!

Having some visits with GP and some with maternity hospital is considered "combined care" and is not semi-private as far as I know; your GP visits will be free under this system. I stand to be corrected on all or any of that information but that's my understanding of it anyway.

Congrats ladies :) I've an appointment with my doctor today to have pregnancy confirmed and the HcG test. I'm not in Ireland at the moment so things are a bit different here.
    I'm a bit lost. I moved back to Dublin in July last year, after being away from 10 years. Let's say I've been roaming for the past 15 years. So now I'm here again and I don't know if I should choose the semi-private or private option. To those of you who are mothers already, do you have any opinions on the matter?

I'm not home (on secondment) and still roaming but went home last year for the birth of my first to be close to my family. I think you need to consider where you want to give birth in order to decide on public / semi-private / private.

I went public in Portlaoise and I couldn't have had a better experience. I was home full time from 30 weeks and saw my GP or hospital consultant every alternative fortnight. Each time I saw my consultant he scanned me and when I started to develop the symptoms of pre eclampsia he brought me in every week to monitor me until induction week 37.

I had three scans in France, including the anomaly scan, as they were covered in my healthcare. If I had of been in Ireland I definitely would have paid for a private anomaly scan although I've heard Portlaoise now offer them as routine.

Not sure if any of that helps. I think so much depends on your own situation.

• Advertisement

Vicky - it is a bit of a head melt first time round!

I’ve had two babies on the public system in Holles Street and all going well will be having my 3rd in Nov/Dec. All the Dublin hospitals work more or less on the same basis.
    You’ll confirm the pregnancy with your GP and sign up to combined care (some people choose not to do this). This means on public/semi/private you split your visits between the hospital and your GP (GP visits are free). I then had a booking apt in the hospital at 12/13 weeks with scan. Anomaly scan at 20 weeks (all of the Dublin hospitals do these as standard) and then mixed my appointments until birth between the GP and hospital. I also had a mini scan at every appointment in the hospital. My least favourite part and really the only bit I can pick at were the wards after birth, they were very very busy but I got home so quickly it didn’t matter really, I’d be looking to do this again so really a private room would be wasted on me.

I was more than happy with the public system but I was low risk, had had a previous good experience with public and there were no concerns for me to warrant going private. If I did have concerns, previous traumatic birth, health risks etc or if indeed money were zero object I’d go private.

From what I gather on here and talking to people in real life semi private is a bit of a swizz and you’re better off going public or private. There might be marginally reduced wait times with semi but in my experience on my second in Holles Street they had the queueing in the clinics down pat and I was always in and out within and hour.

I’m not sure if I’ve covered all your questions, if there’s anything else let us know!

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I ended up walking back in to have her clarify the whole conversation but still didn't feel it was clear.

I'm going back because she ordered some bloods before I found out and I need to discuss the results, so I have the perfect excuse to go back and bombard her with questions!

Yes, a leaflet would be nice, wouldn't it?

Yes, You did! Thanks so much! And congratulations!!!! I'm 36 and in some countries that's considered "risky", though I don't know how it'll be handled here. I have no major health issues that I know of and no concerns. I think I don't need to go private. Thanks again for your help!!!

Vicky - it is a bit of a head melt first time round!

I was more than happy with the public system but I was low risk, had had a previous good experience with public and there were no concerns for me to warrant going private. If I did have concerns, previous traumatic birth, health risks etc or if indeed money were zero object I’d go private.

I’m not sure if I’ve covered all your questions, if there’s anything else let us know!

Yes, you did! Thanks so much! And congratulations! I'm 36 and this is my first and that is considered risky in some countries, I don't know here. I don't have any major health issues that I know of and I'm not concerned, really. I don't think I need to go private.

Thanks again for the advice! This helped a lot! This and the fact that I found out that private is about 4 grand... LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

Hello everyone :) also just found out I’m pregnant yesterday, first for me. Both my partner and I are in shock but over the moon.

I had the usual pms symptoms the past few days so was convinced my period was coming. 3 tests later and it looks like we are due around mid to late December. I had quite bad cramps today and not sure if it was something I ate or the pregnancy. Is this normal around this time? When should I become concerned? No bleeding or spotting. Hoping to see my doctor next week. Thanks for reading.

I had quite bad cramps today and not sure if it was something I ate or the pregnancy. Is this normal around this time? When should I become concerned? No bleeding or spotting.

Hi popping in from Oct thread to reply; yes very normal to have cramps at this stage as your womb is stretching from the size of your fist to the size of a grapefruit. It's also lifting up a bit in your body.

It can also be associated with digestion, any changes in your number twos/ bad wind(which you'll get a lot of!)/even slight constipation, will cause pains similar to period cramps. I had little cramps so frequently that when they settled down I was convinced something was wrong. Now at 14 weeks I'm relaxing more about it!

As regards cramps with bleeding, I had a very small bleed at 6 weeks and went to the Emergency room in the Coombe. The doctor advised me that it was implantation bleeding and unless I have heavy blood flow requiring 3-4 sanitary pads, accompanied by bad cramping, then it should be no cause for worry. If course for any of us that sounds like a lot of blood before you'd do something so if you're at all worried at any stage, ring your maternity hospital for advice.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I had quite bad cramps today and not sure if it was something I ate or the pregnancy. Is this normal around this time? When should I become concerned? No bleeding or spotting.

Hi popping in from Oct thread to reply; yes very normal to have cramps at this stage as your womb is stretching from the size of your fist to the size of a grapefruit. It's also lifting up a bit in your body.

It can also be associated with digestion, any changes in your number twos/ bad wind(which you'll get a lot of!)/even slight constipation, will cause pains similar to period cramps. I had little cramps so frequently that when they settled down I was convinced something was wrong. Now at 14 weeks I'm relaxing more about it!

As regards cramps with bleeding, I had a very small bleed at 6 weeks and went to the Emergency room in the Coombe. The doctor advised me that it was implantation bleeding and unless I have heavy blood flow requiring 3-4 sanitary pads, accompanied by bad cramping, then it should be no cause for worry. If course for any of us that sounds like a lot of blood before you'd do something so if you're at all worried at any stage, ring your maternity hospital for advice.
    Thanks so much for the advice. That has reassured me a lot. Today has been better, with no cramps as of yet but I’ve experienced the gas and bloating quite a bit.
    I’m actually traveling abroad at the moment too which probably isn’t helping with my anxiety. Suffice to say my diet hasn’t been of the norm either. But it’s good to know these little pangs and cramps are a normal part of the process.

No problem at all, yes being abroad probably is fuelling your anxiety. Just remember that every baby ever born was once at the stage yours is at now, so there is every reason that all is going as it should and all will be ok :)

Think I had my first bout of ‘morning sickness’ today. Just general nauseousness. My mam experienced it with all her children so I expect it may be same for me 😩 how is everyone else faring?

Think I had my first bout of ‘morning sickness’ today. Just general nauseousness. My mam experienced it with all her children so I expect it may be same for me �� how is everyone else faring?

I'm the same. It's like a nasty stomach bug. Constantly nauseated and extremely tired.

I use Gin Gins (ginger sweets you can get in most health stores), Fever Tree ginger ale (it has real ginger) or lemonade do wonders. Another thing that helps is boiling about 1.5 cups of water with a bit of fresh ginger the size of your thumb for about 10 minutes, add the juice of half a lemon (or as much as you want, I need loads of acidity so I add more) and one slice (this bit is optional and if you boil it too long it becomes bitter) and boil for another 5 minutes. I add mint leaves and a bit of honey. It's super soothing.

I hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

So. I've been feeling kind of dodge last couple of days. Really sore boobs and bit nauseated. Just got a feeling this morning and took a pregnancy test. Low and behold two strong pink lines. To say I'm bowled over is an understatement. We have two children already, a girl aged 4.5years and boy aged 3.5years. My due date depending on my cycle would be either 19th or 26th December!!! I can't believe it.

Congratulations Stellasmurf and dizzymiss! I'm feeling pretty OK other than some random cramps. I had virtually no symptoms up until the day before yesterday and then fatigue hit me like a train. I have slept well and taken naps but I can't shift it at all and I'm left with a constant dull headache. It's driving me crazy! Anyone have any anti-fatigue tips? My OH is convinced I must be carrying twins the way it's taken me down :0

Congratulations Stellasmurf and dizzymiss! I'm feeling pretty OK other than some random cramps. I had virtually no symptoms up until the day before yesterday and then fatigue hit me like a train. I have slept well and taken naps but I can't shift it at all and I'm left with a constant dull headache. It's driving me crazy! Anyone have any anti-fatigue tips? My OH is convinced I must be carrying twins the way it's taken me down :0

The fatigue is completely normal albeit insane. With my first two pregnancies I literally just had to rest my bum and id conk. It passes though and you start to feel great.

Thanks for the congrats. I'm in complete shock. So nauseated.

Congrats Ladies :) I only had one day of feeling nauseous and nothing the past two days. Is it normal for queasiness to come and go on certain days? I’m travelling abroad at the moment so am thinking my nauseous feeling could have been something I ate now. Looking forward to getting home this weekend and settling back into a rountine. Hope everyone is feeling ok.

Congrats Ladies :) I only had one day of feeling nauseous and nothing the past two days. Is it normal for queasiness to come and go on certain days? I’m travelling abroad at the moment so am thinking my nauseous feeling could have been something I ate now. Looking forward to getting home this weekend and settling back into a rountine. Hope everyone is feeling ok.

In my experience it’s very normal! It’s your body adjusting to fluctating hormones so symptoms will be up and down. Some days my boobs will be on fire and others not a tingle.
    I found 6 weeks hit me like a train and the nausea was another level, right up to yesterday 8 weeks when everything calmed down a bit. I had a scan today and everything is perfect so I’m enjoying the break from intense nausea for a bit but am prepared it might come back!

I don’t think there’s anything that helps with pregnancy fatigue, no rest is enough rest!
    If this is your first the only advice I can give is take every opportunity to rest and sleep, if it’s not your first you’ll know how impossible that is! It should lessen the closer you get to the second trimester but pregnancy is a pretty tiring time in general!

dizzymiss wrote: »
    The fatigue is completely normal albeit insane.

I had nothing like this my first pregnancy. I'm exhausted all of the time and can barely function.

If this is your first the only advice I can give is take every opportunity to rest and sleep, if it’s not your first you’ll know how impossible that is!

Not my first, I've an eight month old. I'm on Carer's Leave at the moment as he has care needs so I really cant afford to be tired! Hopefully it will ease soon. I feel a bit less muggy this morning :)
    I had a scan today and everything is perfect so I’m enjoying the break from intense nausea for a bit but am prepared it might come back!

Great news about the scan :) I'm not going until 11 weeks so I'll be waiting a while yet.

I had nothing like this my first pregnancy. I'm exhausted all of the time and can barely function.

Not my first, I've an eight month old. I'm on Carer's Leave at the moment as he has care needs so I really cant afford to be tired! Hopefully it will ease soon. I feel a bit less muggy this morning :)

Great news about the scan :) I'm not going until 11 weeks so I'll be waiting a while yet.

I'm also on Carer's Leave for my son. He's 3.5yrs. I get Carer's Benefit and work 15hrs a week. Have you any idea how this affects Maternity Benefit?

dizzymiss wrote: »
    I'm also on Carer's Leave for my son. He's 3.5yrs. I get Carer's Benefit and work 15hrs a week. Have you any idea how this affects Maternity Benefit?

I don't, sorry! My maternity leave ended in Feb and I'm on Carer's Leave for 14 weeks until June and then I'm back to work. However, because I'm a secondary teacher I'll be still off to care for my son. I'll technically be back to work and I'll be paid by the Dept of Ed so I will be OK for my maternity leave as I'll have the relevant contributions.

You should call the maternity section and ask. I know you can't receive two different benefits at the same time so you won't get both. Will your employer complete your salary or will it just be from the state?

• Advertisement

Ah jeeney unknowngirl, if you’ve an 8 month old no wonder you’re floored! You must be wrecked!!
    I’m not sure if there’s any rhyme or reason to intensity of symptoms on each pregnancy. The first trimester has completely walloped me this time in comparison to my other two with tiredness and nausea, luckily in my case yesterday the scan only showed one heartbeat but you just never know! Are you feeling sick?

Advertisement