Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Amber 123

Jumping in from November X The calpol one is very good I have a bottle in my bag at all times my sinuses are at me on and off all pregnancy, on the whooping cough vaccine in getting it this morning I'm 26weeks now

Thank you both so much for that recommendation. Will definitely pick one up today. I’m tossing and turning and sniffing all night at this point! I found that the whooping cough vaccine was absolutely fine. A little bit of swelling and bruising for a day or two but very little pain. Hope it goes well for you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Oops Dec 2018

Morning All, turns out there is a trace of proteins in my urine, just not enough thankfully to warrant antibiotics - so lots of fluids for me.
    I have my 'big' scan tomorrow - 21 weeks - so really hope all will be ok. I am a ferocious worrier so will be thinking about this all day long today!

On a lighter note, while I am glad the weather is cooler - I don't like this grey sky!

xx

Morning All, turns out there is a trace of proteins in my urine, just not enough thankfully to warrant antibiotics - so lots of fluids for me.
    I have my 'big' scan tomorrow - 21 weeks - so really hope all will be ok. I am a ferocious worrier so will be thinking about this all day long today!

On a lighter note, while I am glad the weather is cooler - I don't like this grey sky!

xx

Best of luck with that big scan tomorrow Oops, I’m sure everything will be absolutely fine. It will be so exciting to see your little bundle squirming around! I’m not sorry that the weather has changed but we have a house warming at the weekend and I was really hoping people would be able to sit outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

Hi Oops, how did the scan go?
    I made an impulse purchase the weekend and bought the iCandy Peach pram/stroller set. It was the last one and a display model as the shop were getting a newer version in, so I got 50% off so I think it was a good deal. I wasn't planning on buying one so early..I just have to figure out where to store it until December!
    Has anyone purchased a travel system yet? I still need to buy a car seat so any rec's appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

Hi Oops, how did the scan go?
    I made an impulse purchase the weekend and bought the iCandy Peach pram/stroller set. It was the last one and a display model as the shop were getting a newer version in, so I got 50% off so I think it was a good deal. I wasn't planning on buying one so early..I just have to figure out where to store it until December!
    Has anyone purchased a travel system yet? I still need to buy a car seat so any rec's appreciated!

I have this buggy and can highly recommend it! I’ve an almost 2yr old and am due again in 2 weeks so I’ve bought adapters etc to turn into double.
    I have the maxi cosi car seat. It’s great as you can get adapters and use it on the buggy chassis. Very handy for nipping around the shops etc

• Advertisement

Thanks Molly; I'm only starting to look at car seats now and wow..I thought prams were a minefield! Hoping to get one that will do him to his toddler years - presume they are better value for money? Might wait until the sales to buy one.

The only reservation I had with the iCandy was it has quite a heavy base when it is folded up and lifting in and out...but that will be good exercise I guess :) . How have you found it? The Uppababy seemed to be a lot lighter when I tried it, but then again it was twice the price.

Hi Stella, scan went well thankfully. Baby is good. I'm in bits though. I know I sound like a real moan, but I am really suffering with this pregnancy compared with the others. Sciatica back - last 2 pregnancies this only became an issue at the end of the pregnancies. I can't sit or stand for too long....makes me look like a yoyo at work! :-)
    Plus I can't just slow down to mind myself.....

Congrats on the exciting purchase Stella, I’ve heard great things about the iCandy. I don’t think it’s too early - it can feel nice to tick some things off your list and the buggy is a big accomplishment. We went with the UPPAbaby vista. I don’t have it yet, the shop have ordered it and I think it will be in next week. We’re also going to buy the next 2 me on Wednesday (this is a gift from my very kind mother in law). I think that once those two things are organised everything else will be easy. Our car seat is maxi cosi. We went with the one that clips into the buggy frame. I also liked that it had a hood!

Sorry to hear that you’re suffering Oops. Sciatica is so painful! I know exactly what you mean about finding it hard to slow down and mind yourself - I feel like I’m always on the go! It is so important to take care of yourself though.

Send positive vibes for my anomaly scan next week! Nervous but looking forward to it.

Oops, how are you getting on with the Sciatica? I can't offer any advise I'm afraid but hope you are doing ok.
    Amber, when is your big scan? That's exciting and everything will be fine I am sure. I have no more scans now but thinking of booking one privately around the 30 week mark...it just seems so long before I will see the baby again and it is such a relief coming out of the scans!
    Aldi have a baby event on at the moment so I popped in last night and picked up a few bits, like baby towel, blankets, muslin cloth's, bibs, cot sheets...has anyone started buying stuff like this yet? I just thought buying a few bits now would make it easier come D Day especially as it will be around Xmas and no doubt money will be tight as is!

Oh also, is anyone using the Chicco Next2me crib? I am getting a loan from a friend but would like to buy a new mattress and sheets if anyone has suggestions where to buy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Oh also, is anyone using the Chicco Next2me crib? I am getting a loan from a friend but would like to buy a new mattress and sheets if anyone has suggestions where to buy!

Popping in from October thread to say the Chicco branded sheets are very expensive but others on boards and elsewhere recommended buying flat (not fitted) cot sheets and tucking in tight. I ordered some online from Guineys, 2 pack for ten euro, the quality is really nice, lovely soft cotton :)

We got the Chicco Next2Me and we got a set of two fitted sheets included in the bundle. I checked the price if we were to buy them alone and they were €25! They are 50x83cm if you want to hunt down the same size in a different brand. That’s my plan anyway :)

Hey Amber - Sciatica driving me nuts. Its pretty uncomfortable to be honest....I'm kind of powering through it instead of resting.....I'm not good at resting.
    Its crazy to think we are well over half way now...almost there. I haven't begun any prep work at all yet.
    Made a start at a list yesterday, but thats about the sum total of it.

I'm thinking of getting the Chicco Next 2 me also. Had a Snooze Pod from my brother for last baby and loved it - but had to give it back to them.
    I wonder if there is much of a price difference between Chicco and Snooze Pod, I must google it.

I also need a new car seat (and a new car) to fit my existing buggy.

And then theres the 3rd monitor .

Does anyone have a list of baby essentials they could share? 
    Also I have not started buying any baby clothes yet...what are best buys? And style? e.g. Button down / button at bottom / Zips...argh I feel very clueless when it comes to it all! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

The Tesco vests that button at the bottom are good value. The Next ones similar are great quality and wash really well but they're more expensive. I wouldn't bother with newborn size. If your baby is any way big newborn will last a week or so or might not even fit at all. 0-3 months is good to start with. You could always pick up a newborn size outfit if baby was smaller and you wanted say a special outfit for leaving the hospital or something. As for baby Gros I always found the ones that have poppers down the tummy the best. I've tried ones with poppers on the back and they are a nuisance to do up. Also the ones with only poppers around the legs are also fiddly. Again I found Next ones really good quality and last ages. I found dunnes were a smaller fit and didn't wash as well. Penney's as always are great value but I didn't think they washed well.

For things like nappies I wouldn't stock pile the smaller sizes as they move up to the next size quickly enough and you don't want to have loads that don't fit.

I bought loads of muslin cloths and used them for everything, mopping up spills, as a light blanket etc. Aldi ones are really soft and good value.

A thermometer is good to have from the start.

I was breast feeding so don't know what essentials you'll need if you intend to bottle feed. If breastfeeding then some lanolin cream and multimam compresses are things to have from the start. Also some breastpads.

Thanks Bovril! I've started my own list based off your rec's...never even though about a thermometer. Or Next as a source for clothes:) 
    Sleeping at night time is starting to become an issue for me now. I'm waking up about 3:30 most nights. Also I've started getting an ache in my legs, sort of like 'tried legs' or something and I feel the need to stretch them. I'm tossing and turning a lot right now.  They are fine during the day. Anyone else experience this? Wondering if I should invest in one of those pregnancy pillows too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Travel system - maxi cosi etc with isofix base.

Buggy - ICandy are good but bulky, Quinny is good but the shopping basket is tiny. YOYO IS amazing but expensive. I got am GB Gold Plus on Amazon and I love it. It's similar to the Yoyo but with a better price tag. If you use the bassinet option in a buggy put noses basket sheets in it so it's easier to clean up accidents.
    Basic things to consider for buggy is basket, size to store / put in and out of a car.

Baby monitor

Moses basket / co-sleeper.

Babygros - Tesco look pretty but they dont wash well. They shrink in length and go wide. I do love Tesco clothes otherwise. H&M, Zara, M&S babygros are all good value and wash well. Next babygros are good too but not worth sending extra on when the last three are so good.

Comforter - Penneys do good cheap ones so you can buy a couple for when you inevitably lose them at different points. I had a post natal meltdown about losing a duck conforter when my son was 5months. It was a present - expensive and limited edition are a terrible idea for a comforter.

Breastfeeding - Haccka is a deadly handy little pump that you use when feeding. It's deadly. Also a breastfeeding cover - also known as a hootie hider. Both available on Amazon for good value. Breast feeding bags for storing milk. HOT Milk is a legendary bra brand for breastfeeding mammies. They make decent bras without straps the size of a belt! Then the usual vests and loose tops for boob access.

Bottles and steriliser. I like the microwave one for storage but some people love the plug in. Don't buy too many bottles as some babies are fussy about the brand they will take. DR. brown are best for babies with colic.

Hat for the baby when they are born. My sister had twins and had no hat so they got hospital hand me downs and she felt a bit bad!

Blankets - get ones that have holes as they are less of a hazard and also regular temperature better.

Baby thermometer, baby nail cutting set.

Baby towels. We had a baby bath but midwife from domino suggested bathing with the baby and then drying the baby when you are still sitting in the bath and passing them dry to your partner. We found this easy so never used the bath apart from as a make shift sleigh during the snow!

Baby bag - ideally one that is waterproof as you get caught in the rain and you don't want soggy nappies and clothes.

Don't get caught up buying loads of clothes and shoes. Honestly babies just want to be comfy and babygros are grand. Avoid babygros with buttons at the back - they aren't comfy to lie on!

For yourself after labour get paracetamol and Nurofen (you can alternate them), a water bottle with a straw so you don't have to sit up, an empty plastic water bottle to fill up and help after peeing (trust me you don't want toilet paper down there too much after Labour!), a canvas shopping bag to carry crap up and down the stairs when you are holding the baby and arnica. Reusable breast pads are great too - get them cheap online. Disposable ones are grand but I hated the waste!

That's nearly all the stuff I'm getting sorted before my number 2 arrives.

Thank you so much Dindy! Just seeing your post now. All of that is such useful info and exactly what I was looking for :D

Just back from midwife appointment and apparently the baby has very long legs. Everything else checking out ok. :)
    I found out I have an anterior placenta which I was surprised to hear as I have been feeling movement since week 17-18. Although I would be fairly slim so this may be a factor for feeling more movement.
    Is anyone thinking of doing/one a 3D/4D scan? Are they worth it? 
    Pregnancy symptoms have all but gone thankfully but I've started having restless legs every night which is waking me up.

Good Morning All, Hope everyone is doing well. I'm just over 26 weeks now and this morning I had to run as I felt so sick. Thought I was going to vomit. Never had this with other pregnancies - is this normal?
    Apart from that I'm just tired all the time. (Sorry for the whinge fest).
    Feeling movement now big time - although I didn't feel anything last Sunday/Monday so went to GP as I was a little worried. But heartbeat is there and strong so GP had no worries.
    Must start packing my bags - I have nothing done at all yet. I just need to motivate myself - or just blitz it online I guess.

xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 tiggerific

Good Morning All, Hope everyone is doing well. I'm just over 26 weeks now and this morning I had to run as I felt so sick. Thought I was going to vomit. Never had this with other pregnancies - is this normal?
    Apart from that I'm just tired all the time. (Sorry for the whinge fest).
    Feeling movement now big time - although I didn't feel anything last Sunday/Monday so went to GP as I was a little worried. But heartbeat is there and strong so GP had no worries.
    Must start packing my bags - I have nothing done at all yet. I just need to motivate myself - or just blitz it online I guess.

xx

Hi Oops, we’re due around the same time, I’m 26 weeks too.
    I have nothing done yet either, not even a vest bought! I might get started on the hospital bag and see how I get on!

I think nausea can happen at any time. You suffering from heartburn or anything?
    I feel still sick the odd time, but I was quite sick in early 2nd trimester so it’s no surprise.

And I’m with you on the tiredness! My burst of energy never came, just wrecked all the time.

Has anyone signed up for ante natal classes? I’m thinking of doing the all day one, just to have it done.

tiggerific wrote: »
    Hi Oops, we’re due around the same time, I’m 26 weeks too.
    I have nothing done yet either, not even a vest bought! I might get started on the hospital bag and see how I get on!

I think nausea can happen at any time. You suffering from heartburn or anything?
    I feel still sick the odd time, but I was quite sick in early 2nd trimester so it’s no surprise.

And I’m with you on the tiredness! My burst of energy never came, just wrecked all the time.

Has anyone signed up for ante natal classes? I’m thinking of doing the all day one, just to have it done.

Hi Tigger, I did a one day course and it was good. It was a private course and cost a bit but we learned something from it. Did it for my first and haven't done it since.
    Bought vests and onesies today...so at the very least the baby will have some clothes in hospital.
    X

I've booked in to do a one day active birthing workshop. Also signed up to do ante natal classes on two evenings with the hospital/Domino scheme which is free. I've been watching some 'One Born Every Minute' but I'm pretty clueless otherwise so don't mind spending a bit on the workshop as it was recommended to me. 
    I was moving house last week and stupidly moved some furniture on my own, and am now in agony when I walk. I booked in for a massage this evening but the pain doesn't seem to be getting better this morning so also made an appointment to see a doctor although not sure if it's a physio I need. Not even 28 weeks and I can barely walk now so hoping it is something that goes away soon! How is everyone else doing?

Third Trimester today :) My belly has been tightening for about 30 seconds a few times over the past few days. Althpugh I've had it about 3 times already today. Presume this is Braxton Hicks? Anyone else experiencing? Are they ever something to be concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Dindy wrote: »
    Travel system - maxi cosi etc with isofix base.

Buggy - ICandy are good but bulky, Quinny is good but the shopping basket is tiny. YOYO IS amazing but expensive. I got am GB Gold Plus on Amazon and I love it. It's similar to the Yoyo but with a better price tag. If you use the bassinet option in a buggy put noses basket sheets in it so it's easier to clean up accidents.
    Basic things to consider for buggy is basket, size to store / put in and out of a car.

Baby monitor

Moses basket / co-sleeper.

Babygros - Tesco look pretty but they dont wash well. They shrink in length and go wide. I do love Tesco clothes otherwise. H&M, Zara, M&S babygros are all good value and wash well. Next babygros are good too but not worth sending extra on when the last three are so good.

Comforter - Penneys do good cheap ones so you can buy a couple for when you inevitably lose them at different points. I had a post natal meltdown about losing a duck conforter when my son was 5months. It was a present - expensive and limited edition are a terrible idea for a comforter.

Breastfeeding - Haccka is a deadly handy little pump that you use when feeding. It's deadly. Also a breastfeeding cover - also known as a hootie hider. Both available on Amazon for good value. Breast feeding bags for storing milk. HOT Milk is a legendary bra brand for breastfeeding mammies. They make decent bras without straps the size of a belt! Then the usual vests and loose tops for boob access.

Bottles and steriliser. I like the microwave one for storage but some people love the plug in. Don't buy too many bottles as some babies are fussy about the brand they will take. DR. brown are best for babies with colic.

Hat for the baby when they are born. My sister had twins and had no hat so they got hospital hand me downs and she felt a bit bad!

Blankets - get ones that have holes as they are less of a hazard and also regular temperature better.

Baby thermometer, baby nail cutting set.

Baby towels. We had a baby bath but midwife from domino suggested bathing with the baby and then drying the baby when you are still sitting in the bath and passing them dry to your partner. We found this easy so never used the bath apart from as a make shift sleigh during the snow!

Baby bag - ideally one that is waterproof as you get caught in the rain and you don't want soggy nappies and clothes.

Don't get caught up buying loads of clothes and shoes. Honestly babies just want to be comfy and babygros are grand. Avoid babygros with buttons at the back - they aren't comfy to lie on!

For yourself after labour get paracetamol and Nurofen (you can alternate them), a water bottle with a straw so you don't have to sit up, an empty plastic water bottle to fill up and help after peeing (trust me you don't want toilet paper down there too much after Labour!), a canvas shopping bag to carry crap up and down the stairs when you are holding the baby and arnica. Reusable breast pads are great too - get them cheap online. Disposable ones are grand but I hated the waste!

That's nearly all the stuff I'm getting sorted before my number 2 arrives.

Brilliant List! Really feel like i need to start getting organised now (due early Dec!)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Just back from midwife appointment and apparently the baby has very long legs. Everything else checking out ok. :)
    I found out I have an anterior placenta which I was surprised to hear as I have been feeling movement since week 17-18. Although I would be fairly slim so this may be a factor for feeling more movement.
    Is anyone thinking of doing/one a 3D/4D scan? Are they worth it? 
    Pregnancy symptoms have all but gone thankfully but I've started having restless legs every night which is waking me up.

I had both restless legs and the anterior placenta in my last pregnancy too. Restless legs can be eased with magnesium oil and hot water bottle on the calves helps. I feel your pain with it, its a nightmare. I did find movements were a little harder to track alright with anterior placenta but it made no different birth wise to me anyway

Just came from my checkup with doctor and nurse and she thinks the pain in my lower back may be sciatica. I was given a referral letter for the hospital physio but told I could be waiting weeks for appointment. It's so painful when walking. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for physio? I wouldn't mind paying privately for a few weeks to tide me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Just came from my checkup with doctor and nurse and she thinks the pain in my lower back may be sciatica. I was given a referral letter for the hospital physio but told I could be waiting weeks for appointment. It's so painful when walking. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for physio? I wouldn't mind paying privately for a few weeks to tide me over.

Jumping over from the October thread. I went to the Milltown Physio clinic. They were recommended by my consultant and I found them very good. They have people who specialise in antenatal physio.

Thank you so much! Will make an appointment with them! Did you have sciatica pains too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Thank you so much! Will make an appointment with them! Did you have sciatica pains too?

No I had pain and stiffness in my hips. I hope they can help ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Advertisement