Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

New themes for Cole and KOR

Bobby Fish hasn't been mentioned in this feud but maybe he will appear tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Those new themes are awful.

The CFO crowd are gone are they?

Bring back Jim Johnston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

Those new themes are awful.

The CFO crowd are gone are they?

Bring back Jim Johnston.
    Not only are they gone but whatever deal they signed made it so that whenever their music is used they get paid (or something to that effect) and as a result a lot of CFO$ music is being changed. If you think of anyone who's got a new theme in recent memory that's why.

Ref made a quick recovery

That was good and some fun brutal spots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sirsok wrote: »
    Give me Balor Shemus and Devlin against Escobar and the boys!!!

A straight up Irish faction add in Becky as well and have them take over one of the main rosters.

That match felt a bit hollow to me not sure if it was just me getting tired but didn't think it lived up to it's potential.
    Overall I actually think Night 1 overdelivered and Night 2 underdelivered. Still some great matches and very solid on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I swear I don't see it with Kross. I'd go as far as to say below average in ring. The match layouts are designed to protect his shortcomings but anything outside of a quick squash and he's out of his depth. People keep talking about his look, to me he looks like a guy who'd be a lower mid card heel in 1998 WWF. The act is naff too. A firm no from me. Finn tried, he took 70% of the match, Kross' offence looks so weak in parts it's crazy. ***1/4.

Hes a modern day Kona Crush.... nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I've no idea what you do with that. They worked super hard, some of the spots looked cool, everything was well executed. But GOD the melodrama completely overshadowed everything about that match, the absolute worst tendencies of modern NXT Takeover matches on full display and the pacing was excruciatingly slow. I've no idea what you rate that. I'll go ***3/4.

Turns out Night 1 was better, whudda thunk it?

Wasn't high on the ladder match. Possibly caused by my fatigue with WWE ladder matches, it also didn't help that I'd rather Devlin was in the bin rather than wrestling on a mainstream platform. ***1/4

Candice tried to keep the tag match together but it lost it's way at the end and got real sloppy. Shotzi obviously overshooting the dive being the most memorable moment of the match. Indy was nowhere to be seen throughout. ***

Devlin is so unlikeable. The mud has stuck to him in my opinion and its not coming off. The match was fine but my dislike of Devlin really hindered my ability to enjoy it .

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Devlin is so unlikeable. The mud has stuck to him in my opinion and its not coming off. The match was fine but my dislike of Devlin really hindered my ability to enjoy it .

Ye exactly the same for me. I've absolutely 0 interest in seeing that guy in anything other than a cell.

I've no idea what you do with that. They worked super hard, some of the spots looked cool, everything was well executed. But GOD the melodrama completely overshadowed everything about that match, the absolute worst tendencies of modern NXT Takeover matches on full display and the pacing was excruciatingly slow. I've no idea what you rate that. I'll go ***3/4.

Turns out Night 1 was better, whudda thunk it?

I enjoyed it but the god awful sitting down spot took the shine off. Match probably went too long but overall I enjoyed it.

I didnt hate either guys new themes either.

Id rate the match around the same, some spots were silly like the figure four around the chain (like it made a difference). But Im a mark for both men, so I was always gonna enjoy it.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but the god awful sitting down spot took the shine off. Match probably went too long but overall I enjoyed it.

I didnt hate either guys new themes either.

Id rather the match around the same, some spots were silly like the figure four around the chain (like it made a difference). But Im a mark for both men, so I was always gonna enjoy it.

Ye fair. I started to turn on it after O'Reilly did his version of "Why am I so violent?" and, from there, the melodrama just ramped up too high for my liking. NXT alone has made that my absolute number 1 Pro wrestling pet peeve over the last few years.

While some would say Night two undelivered, Id say it was never gonna be better than night 1 to begin with.

Yeah Cole and KOR could have been better, but besdies that I wasnt expecting better.

Gargano v Reed was better than I thought to be fair. Im not made on Shotzi or Indi, so the tag match was always punching upwards for my attention. Devlins involvement was always gonna derail my interest in the ladder match no matter what Escobar could do and Kross was never gonna have a good match with Finn no matter what Balor did. Hes just so bland once the bell rings.

Walter v Ciampa was my pick of the nights, but Im Walters biggest supporter. ****ing love the guy and he and Ciampa stole the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Ye fair. I started to turn on it after O'Reilly did his version of "Why am I so violent?" and, from there, the melodrama just ramped up too high for my liking. NXT alone has made that my absolute number 1 Pro wrestling pet peeve over the last few years.

The first time I've seen the word melodrama used in a wrestling context was in a what culture article describing the Bucks acting in the main event of this weeks dynamite, them I come in here and the word has been used six times to describe matches.

Is this the new buzzword for rasslin thats been used nowadays? I Legit can not recall seeing it in a wrestling context before

Sirsok wrote: »
    The first time I've seen the word melodrama used in a wrestling context was in a what culture article describing the Bucks acting in the main event of this weeks dynamite, them I come in here and the word has been used six times to describe matches.

Is this the new buzzword for rasslin thats been used nowadays? I Legit can not recall seeing it in a wrestling context before

No, I'm fairly certain I've heard it used numerous times. First time I remember was in relation to a Shawn Michaels match. And it was the go to word for the Ciampa/Gargano feud.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thought the ladder match was grand. The end spot was pretty nasty looking tbf.

Didn't like the end of Balor/Kross tbh. His finisher is so lame.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gargano/Reed was whatever. Some decent spots but a lot of mess ups by Reed. Don't see it with him whatsoever. Was hoping they'd move the belt off Johnny so he could go to Raw or Smackdown but evidently not. Might be getting Balor which is meh, who does he go up against really - probably ends up in midcard hell again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Just saw a clip of that Gargano/Reed handstand spot. Absolutely awful looking, topped off with Gargano's perpetually shocked face. Brutal.

https://twitter.com/RobViper/status/1380323650382000136?s=19

The shocked face cracks me up, at this stage he must be doing a self parody, right?

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Gargano/Reed was whatever. Some decent spots but a lot of mess ups by Reed. Don't see it with him whatsoever. Was hoping they'd move the belt off Johnny so he could go to Raw or Smackdown but evidently not. Might be getting Balor which is meh, who does he go up against really - probably ends up in midcard hell again.

Reeds not someone Im high on, but I thought he did well botches aside. feel Gargano brought the best out of him and I liked the match way more than I expected.

Reed looked great on Night 1 and I feel multi man matches are where he can shine. But in general hes not connecting with me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 Irish champs defeated.

Expected someone to help Devlin when Santos's guys came out.

Looked like Scarlett thought she had a malfunction after their entrance.
    Not sure what will happen with Finn now. If this was a main roster show, this would juts be the first of about 5 or 6 matches.

Must be kind of annoying for the commentators since they're also wrestling fans. I noticed during the main event especially when they were standing and all looking down at a monitor while the match is going on right in front of them.

I'm sure it's so they have the rights to the new name, but wonder if they asked Taya to change her name due to Aoife? Unlikely, I'd say. Just Taya is a more recognisable name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I can't help but feel it's momentum lost with Devlin.. Escobar has held the title long enough and Devlin could have used fresh feuds as champ. What do they do with either now.. Unless they continue feuding

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel it's momentum lost with Devlin.. Escobar has held the title long enough and Devlin could have used fresh feuds as champ. What do they do with either now.. Unless they continue feuding

Devlins shine went when the accusations came out. Where true or not, the mud has stuck and its hard to shake for me.

While hes a solid worker but he always had a ceiling. Like many in WWE, he lacks the character and connection to be anything more than a good hand.

For Finn to return on the main roster he needs to go back to his heel Price gimmick and not the happy grinning guy he was

I wonder how different his universal title run would of went if he wasn't injured

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I would like to see a Devlin and Balor tag team, The Prince and The Ace, would open up main event scene. Allow Devlin to get more US exposure and then lead to an inevitable break up and fued

Sirsok wrote:
    I would like to see a Devlin and Balor tag team, The Prince and The Ace, would open up main event scene. Allow Devlin to get more US exposure and then lead to an inevitable break up and fued

I'd genuinely be scared Vince would dress both up as leprechauns and have them do jigs whilst throwing out gold coins from a pot on their way to the ring. :pac:

Sad thing is, that's the kind of rubbish you could see him doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Devlin is his son, Hornswoggle, grown up

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Must be kind of annoying for the commentators since they're also wrestling fans. I noticed during the main event especially when they were standing and all looking down at a monitor while the match is going on right in front of them.
    Yeah I'd heard before that they're instructed to call what is on the monitors and not what they can see.

Agree with what others are saying too Devlin is very talented but hard to hold him in high regard after those allegations. It tarred the match for me.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    I'd genuinely be scared Vince would dress both up as leprechauns and have them do jigs whilst throwing out gold coins from a pot on their way to the ring. :pac:

Sad thing is, that's the kind of rubbish you could see him doing!

To be fair, he didnt do that with Becky or Finn when they went to the main roster.

Devlin isnt Main Roster material. He simply hasnt got it. Solid in ring, no doubt, but beyond taht he has nothing else going for him.

When guys like Gable and Gulak, who both have much more appealing personalities and arguably better in ring abilities, looks and similar builds, I cant see Devlin going far. What makes him stand out?

Advertisement