Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Bar a solitary strike detected around an hour ago off Drogheda, there's nothing electrical going on at all nearby. It certainly feels humid but the temps are nothing to rave about on the coast here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Looks like a non event then so far le sigh.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Dont be putting dampners on it lads ... this could be fun, Still cant believe I missed saturday nights storm as I was still up drinking:D

Yeah I think Ireland has used up its thunder and lightning quota for the next 10 years with last weekends thunderstorms!

Estofex has issued a level 1 for Ireland.

“A level 1 is issued for parts of Belgium, France, SW Germany, parts of England and Ireland mainly for excessive convective precipitation.”

Any showers look to be big rain producers today but lightning will be isolated/sporadic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Met.ie & M.T. both going for some afternoon thunder so I wouldn't be giving up just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Expecting to get a drenching here today..not sure how accurate the short range rainfall predictive sequence is here:
    http://archive.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Water butt is primed and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Expect some nasty downpours this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

BBC NI this morning warning of severe thunderstorms in the west of the providence especially. There is no reason to believe that they won't occur in the specified parts of the Rep either.

Looks like we in the west will miss out today, which is ironic, since it is us that have endured the worst of the heat and humidity, but perhaps a better, if still painfully small chance tomorrow.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Expect some nasty downpours this afternoon

Indeed. This setup reminds of a day in June/July 2005 or 2006 when Naas had relentless downpours for the guts of 2 hours. The amount of flash flooding was mad outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Updated ME warning :

Rainfall Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Today, high intensity rainfall in scattered thunderstorms leading to spot flooding. Between 25 and 50 mm of rainfall possible locally in short periods.

Issued:
    Friday 01 June 2018 10:00

Valid:
    Friday 01 June 2018 11:00 to Friday 01 June 2018 22:00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wouldnt expect much until around 1pm onwards not 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Possibly a stupid question, but in terms of lightening damaging electrical things that are plugged in (we lost a Virgin Media box in the last storm!) is it enough to flick off the mob/off’ switch on the plug socket or would the plugs need to be fully taken out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

A few heavy bursts leaving Wales now & a couple of sparks too, should be an interesting afternoon along the east if they hold together!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing fairly high potential for thunderstrom activity from around 12.00 - 13.00 . ECM not one to be far off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ECM showing fairly high potential for thunderstrom activity from around 12.00 - 13.00 . ECM not one to be far off the mark.

For where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Longing

sillysocks wrote: »
    Possibly a stupid question, but in terms of lightening damaging electrical things that are plugged in (we lost a Virgin Media box in the last storm!) is it enough to flick off the mob/off’ switch on the plug socket or would the plugs need to be fully taken out?

Plug out everything. In 2008 lightening hit our aerial traveled the aerial to the out-put socket in sitting room. I had the aerial connection out of wall at the time. But the lightening jump from wall aerial socket to the TV connection I had on the ground. No kidding the noise was like a shoot gun going off in the house when the lightening jumped from one to the other TV was toast after that. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

vicwatson wrote: »
    For where?

Assume it's this chart he's talking about.
    452200.png
    I'm liking tomorrow's chart a bit more
    452206.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yea thanks lolie, on the phone cant post charts atm .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

Yea thanks lolie, on the phone cant post charts atm .

I post almost everything from the phone, can be a bit awkward at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Trying not to be too pedantic here but bear in mind that "lightening" is the process of making something lighter in colour. Lightening is the opposite of darkening, or making something darker.
    It can also be process of making something lighter in weight. Lightening is the opposite of making something heavier.

Lightning is that bright flash of electricity in the sky that we refer to a lot in this thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

highdef wrote: »
    Trying not to be too pedantic here but bear in mind that "lightening" is the process of making something lighter in colour. Lightening is the opposite of darkening, or making something darker.
    It can also be process of making something lighter in weight. Lightening is the opposite of making something heavier.

Lightning is that bright flash of electricity in the sky that we refer to a lot in this thread :p

Not pedantic at all. It's the most misspelt word here on the weather forum. I posted about it a couple of years ago as it was starting to grate a bit with me.

Thanks for posting about it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sferic showing up on the Leitrim/Fermanagh border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Humidity and temps definitely climbing here in Dublin city centre since the earlier rain has cleared and the sky has brightened up

Feels more humid than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Comhra wrote: »
    Not pedantic at all. It's the most misspelt word here on the weather forum. I posed about it a couple of years ago as it was starting to grate a bit with me.

Thanks for posting about it.

Yep this one is right up there with "pacific" when what you really mean is specific.

The irony is delicious though :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Feels like being in a swimming pool (an indoor one) in Dublin 16!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A couple of near static showers have kicked off not far from me in Donegal judging by the radar, still just warm with hazy sunshine here.

Looks like it's going to be one of those days where some places will have perfectly nice days when there's flash flooding 5 minutes down the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

dacogawa wrote: »
    A few heavy bursts leaving Wales now & a couple of sparks too, should be an interesting afternoon along the east if they hold together!

Along the East Coast of Louth and Ulster you mean?

Track of those heavier Radar returns looks like missing most if not all of Leinsters East Coast.

Advertisement