Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anson Mount, who plays Captain Christopher Pike will exit the show at season’s end, along with Rebecca Romijn, who plays Pike’s shipmate Number One.

:(

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I know they just made it official, but I think everyone knew this... though we might have hoped for a little more of both characters. Maybe they'll return as recurring.

Anyway, Anson Mount tweeted about it a few months back, though Midnight's Edge and pals inflated it into "OMG STD CANCELLED" in their typically histrionic mode.

From the article I found about this
    Mount and Romijn only signed one-year deals, “as part of a plan to sync up Discovery with the original Star Trek lore by the end of Season 2,” Deadline reports.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Captain Saru or we riot, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

None of the spinoffs in the TNG era really departed in tone and production design to the extent that was seen in 1987.
    Most of those production changes happened in 1979

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Witcher wrote: »
    Ah fcuk, only said how much I liked him in another thread:pac:

Yeah....I think its a mistake to let him go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

What the show needs most of all is development of the rest of the bridge crew. They show potential. They got the tone and canonicity moving along the right trajectory for S2- a job well done. S3 needs to be all about those personal stories.

I agree.

I think as well that the generation of Trek fans that is predominantly represented on those channels is the TNG-to-ENT generation. They're happy to accept TOS (and maybe even TAS) into the canon, but they've never had to live through a major new addition to the Trek canon that actually challenges them. The generation before them, their own parents, did. The shift from ENT to DSC is most analagous to the shift from TOS to TNG. None of the spinoffs in the TNG era really departed in tone and production design to the extent that was seen in 1987.

A substantial and vocal segment of TOS fans hated TNG for years. If social media had existed back then, they would have dominated the conversation just as the Disco haters are doing today.

I think also that there is a particular kind of fan who wants more of the same, but wants it to somehow be new. Who has built up detailed ideas about what should follow the story they know and love, or fill the historical gaps or other canon gaps. Often they have lots of internally contradictory or incompatible ideas. In reality, if their expectations were met, we'd get something more like Voyager or ENT- a bland reconfiguration of the formula. And they'd still be unhappy, because what they want is more of a feeling than anything that can actually be realized in the real world.

What they actually need is to have all memory of TNG to be wiped from their minds, and to be able to watch it anew, with fresh eyes. Repeat every 7 seasons.

Good points

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bobtheman wrote: »
    TAS ??

The animated series

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I know they just made it official, but I think everyone knew this... though we might have hoped for a little more of both characters. Maybe they'll return as recurring.

Anyway, Anson Mount tweeted about it a few months back, though Midnight's Edge and pals inflated it into "OMG STD CANCELLED" in their typically histrionic mode.

There’s another channel with a red haired woman who is a fcuking dose. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

FutureGuy wrote: »
    There’s another channel with a red haired woman who is a fcuking dose. Awful.

MechaRandom. I just can't even.

You can add Nerdrotic to that list. He looks like the guy from the "filthy casuals" meme, which makes matters worse.

Interestingly, some of the other channels seem to be coming around- but these guys are pure haters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You see the exact same with Dr. Who, and not just since Jodie Whittaker took over; every ratings blip, or generally unpopular creative decision is translated as proof - PROOF! - that the show is about to be cancelled. Hell even this season just past you have some declaring 'hiatus' because they're taking slightly longer between seasons.

It's pure projection, and a manifestation of just how unhealthy a bubble the Internet has become: I don't to expand my horizons because a dozen hyperbolic YOuTUbe channels will tell me I'm right.

Were I in charge, I'd ban anyone from referencing Midnight's Edge yet it gets embedded far, far too much

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    You see the exact same with Dr. Who, and not just since Jodie Whittaker took over; every ratings blip, or generally unpopular creative decision is translated as proof - PROOF! - that the show is about to be cancelled. Hell even this season just past you have some declaring 'hiatus' because they're taking slightly longer between seasons.

It's pure projection, and a manifestation of just how unhealthy a bubble the Internet has become: I don't to expand my horizons because a dozen hyperbolic YOuTUbe channels will tell me I'm right.

Were I in charge, I'd ban anyone from referencing Midnight's Edge yet it gets embedded far, far too much

Yes it's maddening and so overblown. Like Doctor Who never took an extended gap between seasons before... at the height of Tennant's popularity, he did a "season" that was composed of 4 episodes.

I know Doctor Who was getting a lot of stick towards the latter end of Capaldi's run, but since Jodi Whittaker it has gotten a lot worse, and the tone is much like the reaction to DSC and, this is perhaps the most telling point, Star Wars. The common threads are the frequent references to SJWs, leftist agendas and- my pet hate phrase "Mary-Sues" which has long since stopped being about over-accomplished wish-fulfillment characters and is now just code for "shrill female".

Whatever gets you clicks, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Anson Mount, who plays Captain Christopher Pike will exit the show at season’s end, along with Rebecca Romijn, who plays Pike’s shipmate Number One.

Given the above and given that we know what lies in store for Pike in "the Menagerie" (TOS) - is there a case to be made that Pike will be the Red Angel, somehow?

(for the record, my money is still on Tilly)

I was thinking that it could be some Talosian thing but they only have the power of illusion from what we know, they can't transport people across the galaxy for example.

In terms of all the updated aesthetic/canon complaints, so many problems would have gone away had they set the series 100 years after the TNG era but we are where we are so no point whinging about it.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Given the above and given that we know what lies in store for Pike in "the Menagerie" (TOS) - is there a case to be made that Pike will be the Red Angel, somehow?

Not sure how it could be Tilly - no priors with Spock would preclude that theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If this is the original timeline with an added Michael then maybe her being there is the problem, the reason for all the differences. Maybe that’s what has to happen - she has to disappear from history.

Stark wrote: »
    I was thinking that it could be some Talosian thing but they only have the power of illusion from what we know, they can't transport people across the galaxy for example.

In terms of all the updated aesthetic/canon complaints, so many problems would have gone away had they set the series 100 years after the TNG era but we are where we are so no point whinging about it.

Honestly, I suspect even if Discovery was set after the TNG era the continuity sticklers would still be out in force. Tech wouldn't be advanced enough for their tastes, or else some invention from a random TNG episode would be mentioned in a "shy aren't they using this" point of view.

I like Goodshapes thoughts though, that it's reverse historical fiction; that like stories set in historical times that change with the times, so too do the future visions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I demand a recount! :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"Alternative timeline" is just code for money making scam, let's be honest.

I have watched Discovery up until the latest (ep 10). It's ok, moderately entertaining but it does annoy sometimes especially with the over the top "bubbliness"/buffoonishness of some of the characters, the ludicrous "spore drive" milked throughout both seasons and I don't really take to Spock's portrayal here either.

TNG and the original series it isn't but it's still watchable though hardly engrossing.

In a word Discovery is "meh".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"Alternative timeline" is just code for money making scam, let's be honest.

I have watched Discovery up until the latest (ep 10). It's ok, moderately entertaining but it does annoy sometimes especially with the over the top "bubbliness"/buffoonishness of some of the characters, the ludicrous "spore drive" milked throughout both seasons and I don't really take to Spock's portrayal here either.

TNG and the original series it isn't but it's still watchable though hardly engrossing.

In a word Discovery is "meh".

I agree with you on this Spock. I do not like him at all. I also hate the spore drive and mecerial network or whatever its called. Parts of the ship like the turbolifts going through a part of the ship that is full of scaffolding are really annoying too.

The thing is if this had been set in the 27th century or further I would not have had a problem with the spore drive as a new way to travel between Galaxy s maybe.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

does pike smoke pot?

• Advertisement

Oh this is interesting https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/6bguy9/i_only_just_realised_that_the_tng_viewscreen/

Never realised that before. Guess the whole holograms vs viewscreens thing had a resolution all along.

Oh this is interesting https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/6bguy9/i_only_just_realised_that_the_tng_viewscreen/

Never realised that before. Guess the whole holograms vs viewscreens thing had a resolution all along.

Hm, I knew TNG-era viewscreens were 3d, but I can't recall if they were ever shown to be so in earlier eras. ENT showed all screens as flat I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

I think there's a much more practical reason for that, it's easier to block the shots if the camera for both scenes is at roughly the same angle. A bit like all ships meeting on the same plane because of the limits of using models.

Is the new series any good? I thought the first season was okay

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A bit like last time it's gotten worse as it goes through the series, but if you like Trek I definitely still think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,865 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's....divisive, to say the least. It all depends on what you expect something that carries the 'Star Trek' branding to be.
    It's visually stunning. The story telling premise is something completely new.
    I'm putting aside all the previous Star Trek baggage and just enjoying the stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think if you thought the first season was ok that you might enjoy the second season more.
    There has been some really good episodes in the second season and it has divided opinion on some of them a bit but overall I think this season has been much better than the first one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I think Discovery is really winding up for a couple of blinding episodes if the below is anything to go by, I am thinking major time jump forward and Disco is stranded as they need to get the Red Angel home but need the help of Enterprise to get this done, Pike and Spock remain and everyone else is thrown forward........ or the above but back to Mirror Uni for Disco with Phillipa and Culber somehow section 31 show in here.... she has a thing for Culber me thinks.

The crew of Star Trek: Discovery visited the 2019 PaleyFest event yesterday in Los Angeles, and while there wasn’t much in the way of news from the cast panel itself, the show’s actors – along with executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Heather Kadin – spent some time hyping what is being called a “tremendous” and “unexpected” upcoming ending to Season 2.

Click here for Article on Trekcore

Speaking with SyFy Wire in a new set of interviews published this evening, Alex Kurtzman once again addressed fan criticism of how Star Trek: Discovery may not seem to fit into the overall Star Trek history that we know, ramping up his rebuttal to that feedback:

“We are entirely aware of everyone’s questions and criticisms; I’ve read everything, and I see where everyone’s like, ‘Well, the spore drive never existed!’ and ‘What, Discovery was never around!’ and all of those things, we’re totally aware. You will get an answer,” exec producer Alex Kurtzman told SYFY WIRE. But will that answer be satisfying? “I damn well think so, yes.”

Cast members Ethan Peck, Doug Jones, and Wilson Cruz commented specifically about how the season will wrap up, offering up some extremely provocative adjectives about the final episodes:

ETHAN PECK: “I personally think that the end of the season is going to be tremendous … when [Kurtzman] first told me about it I was like in tears, I just had chills.”

DOUG JONES: “As I read the final script for Season 2, my jaw dropped, and I’m dumbfounded with where we’re headed. So I think the fans can expect to boldly go where no Star Trek series has ever gone before.”

WILSON CRUZ: “Expect the unexpected, is what my mother always says, and it couldn’t be more true, especially on this season, cause it’ll change everything.

We also had a brief moment to speak with Cruz at the event, who told us that “the end of Season 2 is a gamechanger,” along with noting that Hugh Culber’s journey continues into Season 3.

Cast member Anthony Rapp also expounded on the topic a bit, indicating that the upcoming episodes will meet Kurtzman’s often-stated plan to “sync up with canon,” and that he feels fans desires about alignment will be well-addressed:

“I think that the last few episodes will really close the circle for people. If we’ve done our job, what was on the page… in the scripts, closes the circle; it answers the questions that are lingering and remaining for people of how we fit in. And I believe very strongly that it will leave people satisfied.

As someone who cares about continuity, to some degree, I was like, ‘If this doesn’t make people happy, I don’t know what else we can do.’”

While the mystery of just who has been popping about the galaxy in the Red Angel suit has been answered in last week’s “The Red Angel” (at least, as far as we know!), there’s still four episodes left in the year to both wrap up the Red Signal / Control storyline — and to send Captain Pike back to the Enterprise for the remainder of their mission.

Series producer Heather Kadin spoke to Mount’s impending departure from the series.

“If anything it’s not going to feel like a sendoff, because I think that’s what everyone thinks is going to happen. I think it will just become incredibly clear why he’s not continuing on, cause he has to go do TOS, so we have to make sense of that.”

Kurtzman talked about the departing captain as well, saying:

“If you know the story of Captain Pike, you know what his fate was. It won’t be exactly what you think this season, but we will be consistent with that story. There will be a dimension shed on that story that you will not have known or have thought of.”

There’s still a number of years between the current setting of Discovery Season 2 and the accident that seriously injures Pike (as seen in “The Menagerie”), when the captain was exposed to near-lethal delta radiation rescuing Starfleet cadets during a training mission.

While we don’t know how Anson Mount’s Pike will be exiting Discovery, some fans have speculated we might see Pike join the Starfleet Academy series first rumored to be in development last summer, would could serve as a connection to his ultimate fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think they even implied at one stage that the viewscreen was holographic. I think I remember one Voyager episode where the viewscreen was horribly damaged, and you could see the holo-emitters that were behind the screen.

Kx0XK.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Aww what- Anson Mount is leaving? That's something I didn't know, he's fantastic in the role. What's the reason for leaving?

Advertisement