Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Manchester Black in Trek eh? The actor's wearing a very similar outfit to his Supergirl one.

Feels way too soon after the Discovery finale to see promotional pics already, maybe it's longer ago than I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Just finished Season 2 , loved it .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    Manchester Black in Trek eh? The actor's wearing a very similar outfit to his Supergirl one.

Feels way too soon after the Discovery finale to see promotional pics already, maybe it's longer ago than I remember

Manchester Black

Never liked him the character that is.

Not that long ago really since the season 2 finale.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was that a Dr Who reference in the trailer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2019/08/04/star-trek-discovery-season-3-captain/#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

I hope its not Burnham....or Saru for that matter.....Saru is grand but pales in comparison to Pike. Burnham is just wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Is "ship that does not currently have a captain will get a captain" really worth an article?

Evade wrote: »
    Is "ship that does not currently have a captain will get a captain" really worth an article?

Thank you for pointing it out, these random clickbait articles are not even articles. It is like picking a random sport and saying, someone will win the 2020 competition, it might be the person who was in 2nd place last year as the person who won this year has retired but it could also be another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Without access to their ad revenue numbers, I couldn't tell you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just one episode of the second series to go,its awful. the best i can surmise is that if you star trek you probably like this show. i hope they arent going with Control being some Borg origin story

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

silverharp wrote: »
    just one episode of the second series to go,its awful. the best i can surmise is that if you star trek you probably like this show. i hope they arent going with Control being some Borg origin story

Awe it ain't awful. There is some good episodes in it and some good moments. Pike, Spock wants he gets rid of the beard and Number 1 are all really good and well acted. Yes it did seem a little all over the place sometimes but the good episodes and parts more than make up for that.
    If I were given the choice of having to watch season one or season two of it would be season two.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Problem was that yet again chaos behind the scenes, with the sacked producing team, put a halt on a definitive direction; the quality varied from episode to episode, evidence of the hasty patch job done. Not like previous Trek hasn't had problematic writing rooms in their first seasons, so here's hoping season 3 is once more the magic number :D Michelle Paradise will hopefully last an entire run lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe it ain't awful. There is some good episodes in it and some good moments. Pike, Spock wants he gets rid of the beard and Number 1 are all really good and well acted. Yes it did seem a little all over the place sometimes but the good episodes and parts more than make up for that.
    If I were given the choice of having to watch season one or season two of it would be season two.

There are some interesting individual characters like Pike , Saru but for instance that episode with the blue robot character , doesn’t get any lines all show then one episode introduce her and kill her off and have a 20 minute funeral that we are supposed to care about. The writing is just bad, the amount of times you tend to go “wait, what ?“ And I didn’t buy their “cannon fix” at the end, not taking about the mission is one thing it doesn’t resolve the Spock having a sister. Also lets face it, Bruham is an unlikeable character, that hasn’t changed.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Not looking good for Tarantino's Star Trek then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not looking good for Tarantino's Star Trek then.

Well, according to CBS's HR dept, using the word in a script is fine, you just can't say it in regular conversation, even if you are a black man describing an experience from your own life as was the case here. So I think Tarantino would be fine for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If his account is accurate, that's ridiculous. No wonder he walked

That is an utterly farcical situation; I get America is a powder keg and we're hardly able to properly parse the cultural significance of a past with slavery, but goddamnit that situation is inane. Context is apparently dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

That is an utterly farcical situation; I get America is a powder keg and we're hardly able to properly parse the cultural significance of a past with slavery, but goddamnit that situation is inane. Context is apparently dead.

It's mad, Star Trek used to be about breaking shackles and barriers, now even it is confined by them.

It's not anything about Trek, it's reading like a weirdly overly protective corporate HR policy at CBS that can't / won't take context into account, particularly in a creative or emotionally honest area like a writers room.

But then America likes to pretend its racism never happened so as I said, we're barely equipped to parse that whole context ourselves. Hopefully the bad press is a catalyst to some change and Mosley gets his job back.

Wonder who on earth drew offence from an elder black man telling a life story of experience with racism? Can't help but presume it was some pearl clutching white guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

it's reading like a weirdly overly protective corporate HR policy at CBS

Well that's exactly what it is. It's bizarre. I wonder how that Uhura scene above would be received today if it were to be recreated in something like Discovery. I doubt CBS & Co would have the bravery to do it, and that's what I mean about Star Trek being more constrained today than it was 60 years ago. In many ways we've moved forwards, not quite always in the proper direction though.

• Advertisement

And no one called him out on the Paddys comments, double standards I tell you :pac: (joke by the way)

Advertisement