Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

What I took from her private conversation with Burnham is that Georgiu wants to get to Spock first to learn the secret of the Red angels for her own ends. Whether it's harnessing whatevers behind them to become Emporer in this Universe or return to her own, who knows.

I do get a bit of a Cartoon Supervillian vibe from her. She's of course up to something :rolleyes:

My gut has her trying to take over the current universe and become "Empress of the Federation"...or something similar... Why go back to take over an Empire where back-stabbing is litrally part of the culture, when it would be much easier to violently dominate a far more civil society.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,945 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm starting to guess that at some point she'll seize control of Section 31 and turn it into the organization we see in Deep Space Nine. I'm sure they have some magic tech lying around that can erase everyone outside Section 31's collective memory of the organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Stark wrote: »
    I'm starting to guess that at some point she'll seize control of Section 31 and turn it into the organization we see in Deep Space Nine. I'm sure they have some magic tech lying around that can erase everyone outside Section 31's collective memory of the organization.

What evidence do we have of a broader awareness of S31 in Starfleet though? Discovery is a formerly-secret, experimental ship which for part of its operating history had S31-livery security staff on board. So working on Discovery may require people be briefed on S31.

When she boarded Discovery for the first time, Burnham had never head of Discovery and did not seem to recognize the black badges.

What evidence do we have of a broader awareness of S31 in Starfleet though? Discovery is a formerly-secret, experimental ship which for part of its operating history had S31-livery security staff on board. So working on Discovery may require people be briefed on S31.

When she boarded Discovery for the first time, Burnham had never head of Discovery and did not seem to recognize the black badges.

They just need a quick throwaway line about Pike "forgetting" S31 when returning to Enterprise

They just need a quick throwaway line about Pike "forgetting" S31 when returning to Enterprise

Yep, it wouldn't take much to establish that. Most of the perceived canon issues in DIS are similar- they could be fixed with a line or two, but I think the writers are (mostly) showing restraint and letting us fill in some of those gaps.

In counter example, the reference to the holographic displays on Enterprise, we could probably have done without. I know it's a sore spot for many, but I never felt it needed explaining.

• Advertisement

Yep, it wouldn't take much to establish that. Most of the perceived canon issues in DIS are similar- they could be fixed with a line or two, but I think the writers are (mostly) showing restraint and letting us fill in some of those gaps.

In counter example, the reference to the holographic displays on Enterprise, we could probably have done without. I know it's a sore spot for many, but I never felt it needed explaining.

Yeah the hologram is a good call, no need.
    A line about S31 relationship with DSC would give us a better view of the Federation we are dealing with, primarily, for DSC. The Rootbeer version or the Siege of AR-558 version. Just good worldbuilding

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

All they need is a piece about a high level officer getting drafted in and having to sign off on a load of non disclosure. I can't remember from S1 did other Federation ships have any idea how Discovery was doing what they were doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pretty great standalone episode (dodgy camera work and binning of the Prime Directive aside). Felt big in scale, and big in scope. Had a meaningful story, and all the characters were well acted. Some pretty nice vfx too.

CramCycle wrote: »
    All they need is a piece about a high level officer getting drafted in and having to sign off on a load of non disclosure. I can't remember from S1 did other Federation ships have any idea how Discovery was doing what they were doing?

No- only the crew of Glenn would have had any idea and they were on their own track.

The Klingons were aware that Discovery was special in some way, but Kor was surprised to learn what she was capable of when he finally did encounter her. Seems there were no first-hand Klingon accounts of encounters with Discovery, since she tended to leave no survivors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

A rather dark thought just popped into my head....what if Pike after 15 years of holding in the secret of S31, just couldn't keep the secret anymore...and then he suddenly had an "accident" with those Delta Rays....

Fleet Guy: What's that Captain Pike? Something about a secret Federation organisation?

Pike: (BEEP)

Fleet Guy: Do other people know?

Pike: (BEEP)(BEEP)

Fleet Guy: What else can you tell me?

Pike: (BEEP)

Fleet Guy: Erm....alright....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,957 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So, remember all that waffle above about Discovery being a flop, ready for the chop?
    The voyages of Star Trek: Discovery will continue into a third season.
    [...]
    The series is also bringing on Michelle Paradise (The Originals, Hart of Dixie) to serve as co-showrunner along with producer Alex Kurtzman.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/27/star-trek-discovery-season-3/

Paradise(what a name) is already working on season 2, so I guess this confirms her fulltime participation. Not exactly a brilliant resumé, but still. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cool!

IMDb also lists her as a writer on 2x09, 2x13, and 2x14, so we might get a sense of things then :)

That's the next Frakes episode and the two final episodes of the season!

Great news. Whenever that pro-Orville sockpuppet re-regs (again) we can rub it in his face a bit. Assuming we can can recognise his cunning disguise...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Inviere

Great news. Although I've had different issues with both seasons so far, I'm delighted there'll be more to come. I've always felt the show has big potential.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,957 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Obviously the next big broadcasting question will be if Netflix continues their partnership, and if financially it'll maintain Discovery's cinematic vision. Netflix are so cavalier with renewals it's hard to say for sure really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Renewed for season 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Renewed for season 3

Excellent.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Renewed for season 3

Late to the party FutureGuy, how ironic ;) read up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Great news. Whenever that pro-Orville sockpuppet re-regs (again) we can rub it in his face a bit. Assuming we can can recognise his cunning disguise...
    There've been a few of these idiots popping up all over the web.

Basically there's a small group of pathetic idiots who have an issue with women in computer games and sci-fi shows being cast as anything except eye candy or a mega-bitch.

Competent "normal" women written as normal human beings (as opposed to frail and hysterical princesses) are apparently part of the "SJW agenda" and the notion that half of a starship's human crew would be women is man-hating feminism.

You can spot them as soon as they start using the ID politics terms above. Stick them on ignore.

seamus wrote: »
    There've been a few of these idiots popping up all over the web.

Basically there's a small group of pathetic idiots who have an issue with women in computer games and sci-fi shows being cast as anything except eye candy or a mega-bitch.

Competent "normal" women written as normal human beings (as opposed to frail and hysterical princesses) are apparently part of the "SJW agenda" and the notion that half of a starship's human crew would be women is man-hating feminism.

You can spot them as soon as they start using the ID politics terms above. Stick them on ignore.

One thing: Michael is FAR from normal, under lying theme is that a human having Vulcan Stoicism is stunting for the human

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Im glad it gets a third Season. I like it. Its a departure from the Trek that dominated up to 1990s. The its going to be ok view of the future but I dont believe its that much of a departure from DS 9.
    The rotating captains are a pain. I like Pike but I hear the actor who plays him is not continuing. Is that correct?

The other characters are fine. I never took fully to Michael Bernham. She just lacks the underlying charm of Leonard Nimoy. She is meant to be the Vulcan/human like Spock but she just comes across as wooden to me.
    Im not gone on Suru at all. The rest are fine.
    As for those who regard the Orville as the true new STG-really? Has your head been up your arse since the 1990s? Trek always represented the times. The 60s-optimism. The 1980s the end of the cold war peace etc. The 1990s a complicated World. etc
    Star trek just cant ignore the deeper/darker trend in sci fi. I would not have gone with the pre Kirk line as it makes it harder continuity wise but I like the look and overall direction of it.
    Nobody gave out much when the Klingons turned out to have ridges and a complicated system of Honor in the 1980s than depicted in ST orginal. Trek is always moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭Evade

Bobtheman wrote: »
    As for those who regard the Orville as the true new STG-really? Has your head been up your arse since the 1990s? Trek always represented the times. The 60s-optimism. The 1980s the end of the cold war peace etc. The 1990s a complicated World.
    I don't think the Orville is the one true successor to Star Trek but the trial by social media episode and sex reassignment episode are more 2010s than anything in STD so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Evade wrote: »
    I don't think the Orville is the one true successor to Star Trek but the trial by social media episode and sex reassignment episode are more 2010s than anything in STD so far.

I suppose you could say the latest episode has a message about mental health and that is a big thing at the moment too. How you need to look after your mind.

I just enjoy both shows for what they are. Sure there is parts of Discovery that annoy me like the parts of the ship that look like scaffolding really. Was there a need for that? Where does it all fit in? I know Discovery is big but it just looks like a lot of unused space with a turbolift flying trough it. there is good parts to Discovery too do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭Evade

AMKC wrote: »
    I suppose you could say the latest episode has a message about mental health and that is a big thing at the moment too. How you need to look after your mind.

I'm watching on Fox UK, the last episode for me was the cliffhanger involving Isaac

Ms

Evade wrote: »
    I'm watching on Fox UK, the last episode for me was the cliffhanger involving Isaac

I only realised Fox UK had it on recently had been watching it via the internet. They were very slow to get season 1 so it was a surprise to see season 2 on it so soon but good too.

I was actually talking about the latest episode of Discovery having a reference to minding you mental health via Spock and what he is going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

... parts of Discovery that annoy me like the parts of the ship that look like scaffolding really. Was there a need for that? Where does it all fit in? I know Discovery is big but it just looks like a lot of unused space with a turbolift flying trough it. there is good parts to Discovery too do.

I fully agree - it looks really ridiculous... wrong on so many levels.....
    Possibly an attempt to tie into the first JJ verse movie where the Enterprise engine room is actually (filmed in) a brewery? :confused:

Ms

I fully agree - it looks really ridiculous... wrong on so many levels.....
    Possibly an attempt to tie into the first JJ verse movie where the Enterprise engine room is actually (filmed in) a brewery? :confused:

Id say that's it yes but they were doing ok until they started to show the scaffolding and then the weird little ships in the first episode that spun. Its like they are making up the ship as the go along. I did not mind the sensor pod on the ship but these other parts annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I just enjoy both shows for what they are. Sure there is parts of Discovery that annoy me like the parts of the ship that look like scaffolding really. Was there a need for that? Where does it all fit in? I know Discovery is big but it just looks like a lot of unused space with a turbolift flying trough it. there is good parts to Discovery too do.

The turbolift shafts are just ridiculous....don't know why they would show it like that. Can't see how it even fit in the ship with all that unused space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

368100 wrote: »
    The turbolift shafts are just ridiculous....don't know why they would show it like that. Can't see how it even fit in the ship with all that unused space

That for me is a real fantasy element and a large pinch of salt here, not bent out of shape on it.... Still it does seem like the Tardis at times?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement