Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So when they are kids, it's not implausible that he is hanging around the house somewhere, there's only 6 years between him and Spock. Just wondering if he comes into play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

CramCycle wrote: »
    So when they are kids, it's not implausible that he is hanging around the house somewhere, there's only 6 years between him and Spock. Just wondering if he comes into play

Kind of hope not! Non-Canon (although incorporated into film) character, who baring more time rewrites, can only be shown in flashback to Spock and Micheal youth. Because we know Spock hasn't seen him. In this timeframe.

It would just be confusing to add him as a character.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huge news... :D

... looks like
    The Skant
    will be returning later in Season 2. Never thought I'd see that element from TNG return ;)

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-trek-discovery-costumes-season-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

pixelburp wrote: »
    Huge news... :D

... looks like
    The Skant
    will be returning later in Season 2. Never thought I'd see that element from TNG return ;)

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-trek-discovery-costumes-season-2/

I spent several minutes in canon-mode trying to remember a species by that name. Good job you spoiler-tagged it. Wouldn't want to ruin the surprise!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Which Star Trek Captain Has the Best Managerial Technique?

I thought this was interesting. But number 1 is just wrong and Mount's Pike is way too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Thats really interesting!

Id agree with the top 3, but not in that order.

Mine would be

1. Picard (although i always felt he was a little too distant from anyone not in the bridge crew. This wouldnt be a problem though, as im bridge crew material :D)
    2. STD Pike
    3. Janeway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I guess Janeway has the advantage of being so poorly written, she can seemingly adapt her principals and managerial style to suit any situation. :trollolollol:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think I'd go:

3) Sisko – he gets the damn job done.

2) Pike (Anson Mount) – creates a nice place to work. Level-headed. Brings out the best in his crew.

1) Picard – obviously.

Not sure where the others would rank.

Janeway – I could honestly never get a strong enough sense of her character. Her style changed to suit the script.

Kirk – too much of a cowboy. If I were an Admiral, he might be a good choice to send on a mission (depending on the mission!) but I wouldn't want to be on his crew unless my name is Spock or McCoy.

Archer – a fish out of water.

Others – Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I Would go

1) Picard

2) Sisko

3) Janeway

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Terran Empress number 1
    Nobody else comes close to being the best commander. Aged better than Janeway too

• Advertisement

Giveaway wrote:
    Terran Empress number 1 Nobody else comes close to being the best commander. Aged better than Janeway too

And plenty of ganglia to go around to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Pter wrote: »
    And plenty of ganglia to go around to boot.

More the tight leather clothing management style

Yeah but...again....forced ganglia consumption

Why the Star Trek Prime Timeline is NOT Canon Explained

Basically what it boils down to is licensing issues and discovery is not consider original canon. But is in it's own alternate timeline.

As I brought up, canon/non-canon discussion in the thread?

Video posted in February, so sorry if it has been linked before?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Sisko for the win, my type of boss. I could work for the others but in testing situations, Sisko is the person who I would trust to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

corkie wrote: »
    Why the Star Trek Prime Timeline is NOT Canon Explained

Basically what it boils down to is licensing issues and discovery is not consider original canon. But is in it's own alternate timeline.

As I brought up, canon/non-canon discussion in the thread?

Video posted in February, so sorry if it has been linked before?

I have no problem with that. I prefer that Discovery is not Prime timeline but that's its an alternate one. Its means I can watch it and not have to worry that the Prime timeline is been effected. Maybe if it had a ship that looked like it belonged in the Prime timeline and no silly spore drive or JJ Style light effects then maybe I would have had no problem with it being in the Prime Universe but to me its not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I have been a Trek fan for 35years, I don't care what timeline it's in. Like every show before it, if it's awful I'll not pay too much attention and if it's good, I will.

@AMKC That is where things are kind of complicated, Discovery is set in the Prime timeline. So to say Prime doesn't mean original canon.

They are three distinct timeline at present
    1. Original Canon Timeline ~ 'OCT' (Incl. of TV shows up to Enterprise and 10 Movies up to Nemesis (2002))
    2. Prime Timeline <<< Discovery set in this with changes to 'OCT'.
    3. Kelvin Timeline <<< The 3 Reboot films.

475710.png

So both the Prime and Kelvin are new timelines and products of current licensing agreement. The upcoming 'Picard' show is under the new licensing and will be set in prime.

@CramCycle I just enjoy watching the shows as well, but above explains some questions and puts the show in better context.

Some of differences in Prime compared to 'OCT': -
    • Micheal saved as a child.
    • Klingon War in Season 1 never heard of in 'OCT', Micheal not alive to start it.
    • Spore drive was never developed in 'OCT'
    • Section 31 more widely know compared to 'OCT'
    • Romulus destroyed and Spock and Nero time traveling to create Kelvin Timeline

The video clip, I shared was a short extract of a 50mins show. There is rumor that it maybe possible in the future for the two companies to merge again and resolve the licensing issues, but that may not resolve things if other third parties have a stake in the rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hang on, so is the whole thrust of this "prime timeline, but not" basically coming down to Michael having died originally? That seems like latching onto a small detail to justify a somewhat flimsy "aha, so it's not original canon, yay" excuse - especially when we have Sybok sitting quite brazenely within this apparently pristine "original" canon.
    Spock's family is elastic, always has been. I can easily believe Burnham existed during TOS because they clearly don't get on.

Plus, insert my usual "midnight's edge is a garbage channel" comment :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hang on, so is the whole thrust of this "prime timeline, but not" basically coming down to Michael having died originally? That seems like latching onto a small detail to justify a somewhat flimsy "aha, so it's not original canon, yay" excuse - especially when we have Sybok sitting quite brazenely within this apparently pristine "original" canon.
    Spock's family is elastic, always has been. I can easily believe Burnham existed during TOS because they clearly don't get on.

Plus, insert my usual "midnight's edge is a garbage channel" comment :D

I added the points about Micheal etc, not "midnight's edge", it is Discovery that has said she was saved as child by the Red Angel.
    Sybok is only canon because of one film (happen to incorporated him), before that was non-cannon due to novels that featured him.

Edit: - You missed the point about 3 Timelines? Nothing made after approx 2005 is not original canon due to licensing and merchandising revenues.

• Advertisement

Midnight's Edge. Bleurgh. Almost every Youtuber's take on DSC is just horrible. Which is great for views and engagement stats, I guess.

CBS is the successor licence owner to Paramount, who succeeded Desilu. Are the Desilu episodes a different timeline too?

If the Viacom CBS merger goes ahead, is DSC canon again?

This is a weird argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm not that bogged down with what is this timeline or that timeline. It's a new departure that is certain from the next generation and Voyager but not that much from deep space nine.
    I'm not mad on any of the characters but Michael is growing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Midnight's Edge. Bleurgh. Almost every Youtuber's take on DSC is just horrible. Which is great for views and engagement stats, I guess.

CBS is the successor licence owner to Paramount, who succeeded Desilu. Are the Desilu episodes a different timeline too?

If the Viacom CBS merger goes ahead, is DSC canon again?

This is a weird argument.

Yeah youtube seems pretty toxic towards DISCO which probably stems from the original hate of another prequel, main lead, etc. So they just refused to give it a chance. The show is doing everything it can to align canon i think.

Personally I think it got a lot better when they went to the Mirror Universe, seemed the story telling vastly improved. And S2 is in my opinion much better than S1, although my other half disagrees.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I'm not that bogged down with what is this timeline or that timeline. It's a new departure that is certain from the next generation and Voyager but not that much from deep space nine.
    I'm not mad on any of the characters but Michael is growing on me.

I really Like Pike, Stamets and Airiam. Others are abit forgettable.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I really Like Pike, Stamets and Airiam. Others are abit forgettable.

What the show needs most of all is development of the rest of the bridge crew. They show potential. They got the tone and canonicity moving along the right trajectory for S2- a job well done. S3 needs to be all about those personal stories.
    Yeah youtube seems pretty toxic towards DISCO which probably stems from the original hate of another prequel, main lead, etc. So they just refused to give it a chance. The show is doing everything it can to align canon i think.

I agree.

I think as well that the generation of Trek fans that is predominantly represented on those channels is the TNG-to-ENT generation. They're happy to accept TOS (and maybe even TAS) into the canon, but they've never had to live through a major new addition to the Trek canon that actually challenges them. The generation before them, their own parents, did. The shift from ENT to DSC is most analagous to the shift from TOS to TNG. None of the spinoffs in the TNG era really departed in tone and production design to the extent that was seen in 1987.

A substantial and vocal segment of TOS fans hated TNG for years. If social media had existed back then, they would have dominated the conversation just as the Disco haters are doing today.

I think also that there is a particular kind of fan who wants more of the same, but wants it to somehow be new. Who has built up detailed ideas about what should follow the story they know and love, or fill the historical gaps or other canon gaps. Often they have lots of internally contradictory or incompatible ideas. In reality, if their expectations were met, we'd get something more like Voyager or ENT- a bland reconfiguration of the formula. And they'd still be unhappy, because what they want is more of a feeling than anything that can actually be realized in the real world.

What they actually need is to have all memory of TNG to be wiped from their minds, and to be able to watch it anew, with fresh eyes. Repeat every 7 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Anson Mount, who plays Captain Christopher Pike will exit the show at season’s end, along with Rebecca Romijn, who plays Pike’s shipmate Number One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Anson Mount, who plays Captain Christopher Pike will exit the show at season’s end, along with Rebecca Romijn, who plays Pike’s shipmate Number One.

Has she been in it for more than 5 minutes anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Has she been in it for more than 5 minutes anyway?

Nope, I think she was only in one episode unless she is going to be in future episodes this season

I know they just made it official, but I think everyone knew this... though we might have hoped for a little more of both characters. Maybe they'll return as recurring.

Anyway, Anson Mount tweeted about it a few months back, though Midnight's Edge and pals inflated it into "OMG STD CANCELLED" in their typically histrionic mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ah fcuk, only said how much I liked him in another thread:pac:

Advertisement