Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, that fleeting moment made me a bit "wait, what?", but TBH it was such a brief moment I let it slide...

Makes about as much sense as all other turbo lifts taking as much time, as required, to finish a conversation and no longer. Or calling a halt to the lift and not blocking anyone ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Or calling a halt to the lift and not blocking anyone ever

d2b0d986abba68f114dca8cef6735622.jpg

Goodshape wrote: »
    d2b0d986abba68f114dca8cef6735622.jpg

Sorry, unless the plot calls for comedic snarky comment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Doesn't the Discovery's turbolift shafts also suggest that they are using the supersized ship scale from JJ Trek?

• Advertisement

Doesn't the Discovery's turbolift shafts also suggest that they are using the supersized ship scale from JJ Trek?

Again take regard of turbolifts taking different times to get from Engineering to Bridge on Ent-D, depending on the conversation ongoing. Sometimes they were a few seconds, other times it was like the Ent-D had grown a couple of dozen decks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

For it's flaws, I do actually quite enjoy Discovery. It doesn't keep up with TNG or DS9 in my opinion, but overall I enjoy it.

My only wish is that they'd made it more of a standalone, similar to Enterprise. Attempting to tie in with TOS just leads to those sloppy continuity mistakes that get the hate boners going from the usual types.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Again take regard of turbolifts taking different times to get from Engineering to Bridge on Ent-D, depending on the conversation ongoing. Sometimes they were a few seconds, other times it was like the Ent-D had grown a couple of dozen decks

I mean the size of it. Do we know how big the Discovery is supposed to be?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    For it's flaws, I do actually quite enjoy Discovery. It doesn't keep up with TNG or DS9 in my opinion, but overall I enjoy it.

It's not even through a full 1st season of either of those shows. IMHO, for all it's flaws, at a similar episode count for all three shows DSC is easily holding its own

Oh right. They have really gone all Star Wars on the sizes AFAIK

So yeah JJ.

That guy, for all his showmanship, should never have been let near Trek. Out and out SW guy and it showed all over the first 2 films.
    It's bled into the TV show now.

I assume that Sternbach and Okuda have nothing to do with Trek anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Evade

When they were in the same shot the saucer and overall length look a little smaller than the Enterprise but parts of Discovery are wider so they're probably close to the same volume.

EDIT: I looked up the length of the Constitution class it's only 288m, an Intrepid class is 344m

Evade wrote: »
    When they were in the same shot the saucer and overall length look a little smaller than the Enterprise but parts of Discovery are wider so they're probably close to the same volume.

Nacells are massively long (nothing really to do with operational volume)
    But the secondary hull is insanely wide

I assume that Sternbach and Okuda have nothing to do with Trek anymore?

Doesn't look like it. They did a lot work making sure things were consistent.

EDIT: I looked up the length of the Constitution class it's only 288m, an Intrepid class is 344m

Yeah but maybe they using the JJ scale for the Enterprise in Discovery as well, in which case the Discovery could be several times larger than the Enterprise-D.

Nacells are massively long (nothing really to do with operational volume)
    But the secondary hull is insanely wide
    I guesstimated the width of the secondary hull makes up for the extra height of the Enterprises secondary hull and all the empty sections of Discovery's saucer.

474921.PNG

Apparently this is taken from the size of the EagleMoss model.

It's not in the JJ level of size but still feels huge compared to a "relatively" new Enterprise.

How big are the Klingon ships so???

That's a bigger difference than I thought. How does it only have about a third of the crew of a Constitution class? I know Voyager did too but that was over a hundred years later.

EDIT: Never mind there must have been a personnel shortage in the 2250s, the Enterprise only had a crew of around 200 at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's a bigger difference than I thought. How does it only have about a third of the crew of a Constitution class? I know Voyager did too but that was over a hundred years later.

EDIT: Never mind there must have been a personnel shortage in the 2250s, the Enterprise only had a crew of around 200 at that time.

How does it only have about a third of the crew of a Constitution class?

So they can have huge oversized quarters like we seen in the latest episode with Stamets quarters lol.

Never mind there must have been a personnel shortage in the 2250s, the Enterprise only had a crew of around 200 at that time

It had more than twice that I thought. It had around 430 I thought.

AMKC wrote: »
    It had more than twice that I thought. It had around 430 I thought.
    It has 400+ in TOS. Why they decided to cram nearly twice as many people on board is anyone's guess, maybe it was Kirks rate of redshirt death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The opening for episode 8 was, err... Well it was definitely something alright.

Otherwise, enjoyed the episode.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Gbear wrote: »
    The opening for episode 8 was, err... Well it was definitely something alright.

Otherwise, enjoyed the episode.

I thought the opening for the episode was brilliant. What other show could say previously on and have that amount of time between it and where it continues from but still be able to continue from it and also have that history?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought the opening for the episode was brilliant. What other show could say previously on and have that amount of time between it and where it continues from but still be able to continue from it and also have that history?

Doctor Who did it prior to the 12th doctors, final adventure. The "last time" preamble was a summary of a black and white adventure from 1966.

Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    Doctor Who did it prior to the 12th doctors, final adventure. The "last time" preamble was a summary of a black and white adventure from 1966.

Awe very good. Never got into Doctor Who myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Apparently this is taken from the size of the EagleMoss model.

It's not in the JJ level of size but still feels huge compared to a "relatively" new Enterprise.

The size difference doesn't bother me- wouldn't necessarily consider the Constitution class "new" compared to the Crossfield class. Enterprise is about 10 years older, and not the first ship of her class. The Constitution design could be decades older than that- the canon isn't set. Look how long they used the Excelsior classes- something over 100 years.

Discovery's a ship with a very different purpose too- they mention it's capacity to run a huge number of science programs in parallel. I'd guess she has a modular design to allow labs and workshops to be added and removed and reconfigured as her mission profile shifts, but during war time, labs would have added too much mass and thus been stripped out. So lots of empty space and scaffolding pending the now-interrupted new mission profile.

Look how long they used the Excelsior classes- something over 100 years.
    The Miranda class was in service for at least 111 years. The Reliant's registry number is on a list of ships in the background of TOS' Court Martial in 2267 and they were still in service after the Dominion War as seen in Voyager's Endgame in 2378.

Ms

Do we know now what timeline Discovery is set in now?

I seemed fairly sure to some people after S2 E8 episode ''If Memory Serves'' that it was set in the Prime timeline.

So is it the Prime Time line or an alternate one?

I have seen rumours saying it was i n the JJ Verse timeline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's in the regular TV canon timeline, this doesn't mean they there could not be a time travelling recon on the season but that's where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭corkie

Do we know now what timeline Discovery is set in now?

I seemed fairly sure to some people after S2 E8 episode ''If Memory Serves'' that it was set in the Prime timeline.

So is it the Prime Time line or an alternate one?

I have seen rumours saying it was i n the JJ Verse timeline.

In the Prime timeline but this Season has hinted to edits to the timeline with 'Micheal's' character: -
    Time rewrite to prevent her death as a child.

To clarify the timeline of all of the Talos IV visits, the first one took place in “The Cage” in 2254. This will make Discovery‘s impending visit the second one, since it’s taking place in 2257, and the events of “The Menagerie,” where Spock returns with a badly damaged Pike, happen in 2267. The big takeaway here is that Pike’s visit to Talos IV happened three years before this season of Discovery.

7 Things To Remember About “The Cage” Before Watching “If Memory Serves”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone know when Sybok was kicked out of the family home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭corkie

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyone know when Sybok was kicked out of the family home?
    By 2255, Spock had not seen Sybok in over a decade, and wondered from time to time if his half-brother was even still alive. Spock related this to the young Cyprian Merata in attempt to help her understand how he would likely respond if he crossed paths with his half-brother again. It was the first time in a number of years that he had spoken of Sybok out loud.

Over a decade so around 2245 or before?

Quote from: - https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Sybok <<< Non-canon!

Advertisement