Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pter wrote: »
    Breen 1: gargle gargle gargle

Breen 2: garble garble

Breen 3: garble

hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Insurrection's premise and plot cried out for a darker, more serious approach, which is how it was conceived. But then on the basis of a few funny scenes in First Contact and pressure from the studio they decided to make it into a light-hearted affair. They not only totally misunderstood why those handful of moments in First Connect were funny (they were relief in an otherwise very tense film), but they totally disregarded the previous failed attempts at making the TNG crew funny. Ideally they would have saved the fountain of youth/heart of darkness concept for another film and come up with a new concept that matched the tone they were going for, but the whole production was rushed. It's a shame because Piller was a good writer and knew TNG better than anyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

STI, ergh.

"We shun technology, it's the worst. Now, let's drain the lake with this giant sluice we inexplicably built"

Insurrection's premise and plot cried out for a darker, more serious approach, which is how it was conceived. But then on the basis of a few funny scenes in First Contact and pressure from the studio they decided to make it into a light-hearted affair. They not only totally misunderstood why those handful of moments in First Connect were funny (they were relief in an otherwise very tense film), but they totally disregarded the previous failed attempts at making the TNG crew funny. Ideally they would have saved the fountain of youth/heart of darkness concept for another film and come up with a new concept that matched the tone they were going for, but the whole production was rushed. It's a shame because Piller was a good writer and knew TNG better than anyone.

At the time they were getting flak for DS9 being dark and "Not my Trek" and even now DCS is getting it in the neck for the same reasons.

They are caught between an rock and a hard place at times

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

the-rock-1024-1.jpg

• Advertisement

the-rock-1024-1.jpg

Let's not have to think about the Rock's hard place yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

WWE cameos. Proper Star Trek right there. The good old days!

This new stuff is an abomination alright.

Goodshape wrote: »
    WWE cameos. Proper Star Trek right there. The good old days!

This new stuff is an abomination alright.

Early doors alright but he is the world's biggest star for the past few years.
    Just another Trek example of getting stars their start.

Mmmmm, Robin Lefler

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

At the time they were getting flak for DS9 being dark and "Not my Trek" and even now DCS is getting it in the neck for the same reasons.

Every new trek has gotten it in the neck for not being someone elses trek. TNG got it for not being TOS enough, even though it was more Roddenberry like than the others. DS9 was very like TNG but set in a darker part of the quadrant, I think people failed to see how TNG like it was because it was a station and dark. Voyager tried to go back to being more TNG like and well, it just turned out that you needed good actors and decent writing to get away with that style. Then Enterprise came and they went full on with thinking most of it through but some of the characters were written like that Werewolf/Vampire movie were they were blank slates and it was tough going. Discovery never had a chance with some people, the same way every trek has not had a chance.
    I enjoyed TOS, watching it at 6pm on BBC2, I loved TNG when it was first shown, blew my mind. I loved DS9, it was awesome as well and blew my mind, just like TNG, watching it on a ****ty 14inch box in a bedroom in Dublin.
    I am clearly not a Trek fan because despite all the flaws, i still like it and will continue to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

If there is one thing we know, it's that Admirals are all evil or deeply flawed individuals.

(Enterprise Conference Room)

Picard: So it is dicided. We will proceed at maximum warp to Puppyus VI and help with the evacuation of some awesome German Sheppard puppies.

Crew: Yay!! :D

Admiral Everjerk (On Screen): Just one minute Picard!!

Picard: Yes Admiral?

Admiral Everjerk: You are hearby ordered to proceed to Puppyus VI and start kicking those puppies instead!!

Picard: But that's against what Starfleet stands for!!

Admiral Everjerk: I AM Starfleet! Now follow my orders Picard!! Kick the puppies!!!

Picard: Admiral?!!

Admiral Everjerk: MUH HA HA HA!!!

So yea...pretty much every Starfleet admiral is evil. Just swap out the puppies for whatever is relevant to the episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Janeway even ended BILLIONS of lives when she became an admiral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

So what do we think this Red Angel is? (Assuming some of you are actually watching discovery)

A random entity we've never heard of or something we know already?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

368100 wrote: »
    So what do we think this Red Angel is? (Assuming some of you are actually watching discovery)

Oh we have a few theories in the s2x06 thread......

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm is this really the place for overall speculation? Seems like it's prone to spoilers for those not up to date with episodes but might want a more generalised chat. Hard needle to thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

368100 wrote: »

Going for Tilly or Burnham, think Tilly is fleshier than the person in the pic tho but Burnham is more the same size

At this stage, I'd love an episode featuring any of the non regulars. I want to know more about Detmer, Airium, or any of the rest. Every episode teases these potentially interesting characters, they get a few lines and then the story moves on without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Oh we have a few theories in the s2x06 thread......

Have you the thread link? Can't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think I'm liking this a lot more than season 1, although that perception is partly down to how terrible the last couple of episodes were.

Episodes 4 and 5 were a little bit on the melodramatic side but on the whole the season has done a better job of threading overarching story into the week by week travails while each feels distinctly "Trekky".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭corkie

Section 31 in Star Trek Discovery is Incompatible with Deep Space 9 Continuity

^^^ May contain spoilers for latest episodes.

As I said before in another thread, something will probably force S31 underground. From it's current well know organization in STD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

corkie wrote: »

^^^ May contain spoilers for latest episodes.

As I said before in another thread, something will probably force S31 underground. To is current well know organization in STD.

Wasn't Discovery a black-ops ship during the war though, with some sort of S31 collaboration implied? In episode 3 there were S31 badges visible and Michael's random co-prisoners didn't seem to recognise them at all.

Isn't it possible that people who work on Discovery are pre-briefed on S31, sign an NDA type contract and and then never speak about it elsewhere?

I felt like we got a clear hint that there's potentially a rift going to happen between Pike and Leland; Discovery's writing likes to frontload without any foundation, so we had a moment between two men we were told were old friends, and I suspect Pike's idealism is going to come to blows with Leland's 'getting your hands dirty' approach. Probably over the nature of the Red Angel - again that has been hinted at via Ash.

Wasn't Discovery a black-ops ship during the war though, with some sort of S31 collaboration implied? In episode 3 there were S31 badges visible and Michael's random co-prisoners didn't seem to recognise them at all.

Isn't it possible that people who work on Discovery are pre-briefed on S31, sign an NDA type contract and and then never speak about it elsewhere?

That is the only thing that makes sense if they have no stupid reboot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why wouldn't they tell pike about michelle yeoh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

why wouldn't they tell pike about michelle yeoh

He is barely able to co-operate with Leland.

Could you imagine his reaction if he found out this was a mirror captain georgiou who happened to be primarily responsible for the slaughter of untold millions of alien species and uses torture as a method of obedience. Probably far less likely to co-operate with S31+ psychotic ex-empress. He would not be empressed.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He is barely able to co-operate with Leland.

Could you imagine his reaction if he found out this was a mirror captain georgiou who happened to be primarily responsible for the slaughter of untold millions of alien species and uses torture as a method of obedience. Probably far less likely to co-operate with S31+ psychotic ex-empress. He would not be empressed.

Maybe that's why Section 31 has to go underground because Pike and then the rest of Starfleet find out about this and disprove of it in turn forcing Section 31 underground. Maybe it has something do to with Pike and Leland as well but either way I do think when it happens it will be about principles of what is right and wrong and Section 31 taking it to far on the wrong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

im not sure why mirror michelle yeoh is happy to be just an officer, is the red angel that interesting?

im not sure why mirror michelle yeoh is happy to be just an officer, is the red angel that interesting?

Shes not, I thought its all part of her getting power back. One of thee things will happen, they will either try and rehabilitate her, she will aim to become leader of S31 and kill her current commander or she will just get caught being crooked and she will die.

Well considering there's a spin-off show featuring her, I'm guessing she won't be bumped off anyway; methinks she'll pop up merely as a reminder that she exists, but they'll keep her at arms reach from the Red Angel arc. Maybe she'll have some vital info she'll only share with Burnham, that sort of thing.

Then again, if there are issues of budget though, probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to perhaps stop hiring the presumably expensive Hollywood star for a cameo role...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What I took from her private conversation with Burnham is that Georgiu wants to get to Spock first to learn the secret of the Red angels for her own ends. Whether it's harnessing whatevers behind them to become Emporer in this Universe or return to her own, who knows.

Advertisement