Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

I don't know if it's tiredness, or if I'm just having a moment, but can anyone make sense of this for me? It's a Ford Galaxy a chap is selling that has a 'new' NCT on it (but no date mentioned, so i threw the reg plate into NCTS.ie)

Screenshot-2020-06-18-Check-NCT-Due-Date.png

NCT expired in Jan '19, but the next NCT isn't due til Jan '20? :confused: Isn't that pretty much saying it doesn't/didn't require an NCT for all of 2019?

I could understand the Due by date being Jan 12th 2020 if the expiry was Jan 19th 2020? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It just didn't have a NCT throughout the year 2019. Why put it's due in 2019 since it has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I don't know if it's tiredness, or if I'm just having a moment, but can anyone make sense of this for me? It's a Ford Galaxy a chap is selling that has a 'new' NCT on it (but no date mentioned, so i threw the reg plate into NCTS.ie)

NCT expired in Jan '19, but the next NCT isn't due til Jan '20? :confused: Isn't that pretty much saying it doesn't/didn't require an NCT for all of 2019?

I could understand the Due by date being Jan 12th 2020 if the expiry was Jan 19th 2020? :confused:

The expiry date is the important one so it hasn't had a valid test since January 19. Sometimes it takes the website a while to update so it could well be tested or it might have half a test on it with no lift part done.

The due date rolls over each year pass no heed of it.

In my opinion a galaxy that has been in limbo that length of time would be of no use for the sorta mileage you do.

Even if it had a new test on it I'd find it hard put complete faith in it being up to the job. You have to ask yourself why wasn't it tested in circa 18 months and what exactly was wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Audi were running a winter service plan offer last year, 2x oil services, a brake fluid change and a set of wipers for €279, was very good. It was supposed to translate into a summer service plan offer but the same basic deal. Maybe Covid has slowed it being released.

I bought that for the A6 but must go back for another service and the wipers, I will buy the one Augeo linked as I have the Stronic Box it works out cheaper than going to a Indy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Is it exclusively Limerick that's seen an absolutely massive upsurge in UK BMWs being imported? Three in my estate alone this year. Pretty sure they're all 4 series too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Kilboor wrote: »
    Is it exclusively Limerick that's seen an absolutely massive upsurge in UK BMWs being imported? Three in my estate alone this year. Pretty sure they're all 4 series too...

On the N11 the other evening and at one stage there was my own, 2 behind me, 3 in front and another in the overtaking lane. All except mine and the one at the very back were F10s.

Defiantly seeing a lot more f10s and 4 series lately and less e60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

Just read this and its raised a question...how the f*ck do you insure such a heavily modified car in this country? I just moved to a different eircode and it raised my insurance by 60%. I almost cant imagine what would happen if I listed mods similar to this. And I want to make a few small mods on what I've got, but not sure I can stomach another increase this year.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/06/why-dont-we-talk-about-the-golf-r/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Austmcc wrote: »
    Just read this and its raised a question...how the f*ck do you insure such a heavily modified car in this country? I just moved to a different eircode and it raised my insurance by 60%. I almost cant imagine what would happen if I listed mods similar to this. And I want to make a few small mods on what I've got, but not sure I can stomach another increase this year.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/06/why-dont-we-talk-about-the-golf-r/

You insure it by say nothing to the insurance company about modifications

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

PsychoPete wrote: »
    You insure it by say nothing to the insurance company about modifications

Ye I know that people go this route, and know people that got screwed by insurance when something happened.

Let me rephrase to how do you affordably and legally insure these cars?

Austmcc wrote: »
    Let me rephrase to how do you affordably and legally insure these cars?

Folk with fully declared mods are likely paying well for the privilege.
    Most folk I would suspect don't declare the entirety of the situation.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

OSI wrote: »
    So regular servicing is a scam basically. :rolleyes:

Kind of but not really. It's user dependent and also a failsafe.

A car doing shorter trips and stop start style driving will be harder on its engine oil than a car doing long runs and motorway trips so it's still good practise to change the oil sooner in a car with that type of useage regardless of oil type.

That and it's not strictly mileage dependent, it's also time dependent and engine oil type aside, getting a 12 month inspection is good to check the condition of other fluids, like coolant and brake fluid and condition of brakes and tyres etc.

It's also a bit of protection for the dealer and the customer in that if the customer runs over their service interval it isn't the end of the world and the dealer cant make a **** up and fill the wrong oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Augeo wrote: »
    Folk with fully declared mods are likely paying well for the privilege.
    Most folk I would suspect don't declare the entirety of the situation.......
    GF has her turbo'd Celica fully declared and it isn't actually that much more expensive. Then again, it's not a Honda, so I imagine the loading isn't as bad. Thank **** mine is classic now whenever I do get it back on the road.

But yeah, I'd imagine most don't mention the word modification to their insurance providers for fear of being bent over without lubrication.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    GF has her turbo'd Celica fully declared and it isn't actually that much more expensive. Then again, it's not a Honda, so I imagine the loading isn't as bad.

It'll be as bad if not worse on a Toyota.

I seen someone post on fb that a classic insurer told them they don't cover any Toyota, the other day.

I've a 98 Starlet running about 215bhp, there isn't an insurance company that will touch it and that's without telling them about modifications, went through every loop to insure it when I was driving it

It'll be as bad if not worse on a Toyota.

I seen someone post on fb that a classic insurer told them they don't cover any Toyota, the other day.
    Considering what she's paying on a stroked, forged, turbo gen 7 Celica with everything declared, I can't see that being the case. At least not in this instance anyway.
    It's about 300 quid more than my last policy on the DC2 with no mods declared. Same age, more or less, same amount of NCB etc.

It's not old enough to be classic yet, another 3 or 8 years, depending on what's classed as classic by the insurance company so it's still on a normal policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I had a call with my insurer this week to enquire if there would be an impact to my premium should I fit a new air intake, turbo elbow, upgraded intake pipe and short-shift kit.

They checked with their underwriters and response received today was to provide an engineers report once all mods are fitted.

I'd rather not buy and fit all the components, then find that they add a huge loading to my policy. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious though? Have others gone down this route and if so, did their premiums get majorly impacted?

Considering what she's paying on a stroked, forged, turbo gen 7 Celica with everything declared, I can't see that being the case. At least not in this instance anyway.
    It's about 300 quid more than my last policy on the DC2 with no mods declared. Same age, more or less, same amount of NCB etc.

It's not old enough to be classic yet, another 3 or 8 years, depending on what's classed as classic by the insurance company so it's still on a normal policy.

I'm sure there's variations with models and gen7 celicas were never as hard insure as a gen6 but as a general rule of thumb there's little in the difference between insuring old Toyotas or Hondas. A dc2 was always a hoor to insure too. Where as ek4 vti's were a bit easier as they weren't jap imports.

Forged and turbo'd gen7 would be an unusual build sounds interesting, is it running a 2zzge or 1zzfe?

I'm sure there's variations with models and gen7 celicas were never as hard insure as a gen6 but as a general rule of thumb there's little in the difference between insuring old Toyotas or Hondas. A dc2 was always a hoor to insure too. Where as ek4 vti's were a bit easier as they weren't jap imports.

Forged and turbo'd gen7 would be an unusual build sounds interesting, is it running a 2zzge or 1zzfe?
    I do think the fact its a gen 7 played into it as you don't really see that many modified compared to other cars, and they're cheap as feck too. Although parts can be hard to get.

It's the 190bhp model, so 2zzge (I think?).

She had a bit of hassle trying to find someone decent to actually do the work as most didn't want to touch it. Nice pull from it too, last time she got it dyno'd it was 290bhp with a boost leak. Martin Treacy reckons it'd be about 320 ish with that fixed easily, just hasn't had it back to check since.

Levins were really easy to insure, i had one was my second car 2 years ncb at 19 for 1100

I do think the fact its a gen 7 played into it as you don't really see that many modified compared to other cars, and they're cheap as feck too. Although parts can be heard to get.

It's the 190bhp model, so 2zzge (I think?).

She had a bit of hassle trying to find someone decent to actually do the work as most didn't want to touch it. Nice pull from it too, last time she got it dyno'd it was 290bhp with a boost leak. Martin Treacy reckons it'd be about 320 ish with that fixed easily, just hasn't had it back to check since.

Ya 2zzge. Not much is done with them here really but decent aftermarket support and builds in the uk.

Fair play at anything around 300bhp it must be an absolute flyer. Factory gearbox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Levins were really easy to insure, i had one was my second car 2 years ncb at 19 for 1100

It's getting harder to insure them. Axa will insure you but you have to be over 25. It's due to age of the cars now which is why just about all insurers will not give you a quote.

Ya 2zzge. Not much is done with them here really but decent aftermarket support and builds in the uk.

Fair play at anything around 300bhp it must be an absolute flyer. Factory gearbox?
    It moves anyway :)
    Yeah standard gearbox, clutch she got is a bastard though.
    Got her a set of ST205 callipers initially but she had major hassle trying to get them to fit properly, having to trim down 315mm discs as well, so gone back to standard callipers but with slotted discs and EBC pads.

I like it for the fact it's not something you expect to be as quick as it is, and it makes a change from the usual Civics with spec 2's (he says, while owning a DC2 with a J's Racing N1 exhaust)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭theintern

eljono wrote: »
    I had a call with my insurer this week to enquire if there would be an impact to my premium should I fit a new air intake, turbo elbow, upgraded intake pipe and short-shift kit.

They checked with their underwriters and response received today was to provide an engineers report once all mods are fitted.

I'd rather not buy and fit all the components, then find that they add a huge loading to my policy. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious though? Have others gone down this route and if so, did their premiums get majorly impacted?

You never see this question answered on boards. I don't know if insurance companies make people sign NDAs or what it is, but my interpretation is that 99% of modified cars in the country are basically uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Thanks @theintern, I was assuming the same myself.

theintern wrote: »
    You never see this question answered on boards. I don't know if insurance companies make people sign NDAs or what it is, but my interpretation is that 99% of modified cars in the country are basically uninsured.

I think what happens, is that people realise that it might be a lot of hassle getting the report and risking the insurance company turning around and say "that'll be 5 grand lol". If you give them a report saying you've modded the car, and then they want lots more money, you're stuck in limbo-land with a car you've spent a fortune on, but now can't drive.

You also can't say to the insurance company "I was only joking, I didn't really get that work done to the car, I just wanted to see what quote I'd get" because they will have the engineer's report. So now you'll need to either undo all the work, or find a dodgy engineer, who will say the car is back to factory condition, so you can resume your insurance.

So in real life; people just say nothing and don't draw attention to themselves. But on Boards, admitting to going 2km over the speed limit gets you a rake of abuse, so the people that do it, will never say it on here.

Completely unrelated to that, but can anyone who's clued into cars (probably people that fitted dash cams and such) tell me if removing the headliner/roof carpet is difficult?

I picked up a Galaxy the other day. Seems alright in the grand scheme of things, and got it cheap enough, but there's a very annoying vibration kind of noise coming from somewhere in the general area of the driver's head/door position around the headliner. I've pried the headliner off at the edge where the rubber seal meets the door, but only a few centimeters, and I went mad with a bit of WD-40 with one of those straw type nozzles on it squeezed in behind the gap in the headliner i made, in the hopes that I'd get lucky and it'd hit the spot, but unfortunately it hasn't helped.

So my next plan was to try and pull the section of headliner down, drive around and see can i see anything obviously rubbing or sitting out of place, and go from there. Just not sure if it's a DIY job or if I'm better off getting someone to do it who knows what they're at. Don't want to fix this rattle and get left with a load more rattles instead because I'm an idiot.

EDIT: I fiddled with it for a while, but turns out it just needed a punch out of frustration to sort itself out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Test drove the new leon. A lovely upgrade from the previous model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Test drove the new leon. A lovely upgrade from the previous model.

They are a nice looking car dealers only seem to be getting the first demos now. I wonder is there much lead time if you wanted one. I have a feeling they will sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

CIP4 wrote: »
    They are a nice looking car dealers only seem to be getting the first demos now. I wonder is there much lead time if you wanted one. I have a feeling they will sell well.
    They had a diesel sold. Supply is short at minute with seat still making ventilators. Estates are a month or so away and only 10 demos for the country. That’s the one I wanted to get a look at find the boot in my hatch back leon to be a bit tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

eljono wrote: »

I'm guessing that's standard protocal and could imagine whoever was on the other end of the line had serious difficulty understanding what you were saying... You probably had to spell it out a few times:D
    I was insuring a Toyota MR-S once and the lady I was chatting to on the line had serious difficulty in understanding when I told her it was a soft top convertible car but I had an aftermarket hard top roof fitted to it when she asked me if it had any modifications. In retrospect it was most likely a modification that they would have being interested to know about or a modification at all in the true sense of the word as it wasn't a permanent fixture. But still, it struck me as worrying that she was as clueless as she was.

As and aside though I think a trap that too many people fall into is an assumption that there is an identifiable trend when it comes to motor insurance. I won't say they pull figures out of their backsides when it comes to premiums as the conspiracy theorists among us are all too quick to conclude. However, just because a certain Toyota was easy for a friend to insure a few years back doesn't mean it'll be quite as easy for someone else to insure a similar model a few years later etc. The actuaries do their thing in the background, rates for different models change over time depending on the perceived risk, the change the risk attached to different people profiles and areas of use etc too. On top of this insurers may over time change the profile of the market they are targeting, albeit at a slower rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement