Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

This covid thing has nearly put me off cars. Two lumps been sitting in the drive now for months now doing very little. Her car hasn't been started in weeks I'd guess. My own car clicked over 100k miles today, and I have it two years now so normally would be getting an itch for something at this stage. Would like to get into a petrol again but can't justify anything now as a bicycle would nearly do me with the recent millage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

vintagevrs wrote: »
    can't justify anything now as a bicycle would nearly do me with the recent millage.

How Eamon Ryan would smile reading that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

In the last 3 months I have only done 3K km don't ever remember doing so little driving in a car. I have really only been using the car to commute to work. From today my mileage will rise a little as I am back Monday-Friday in work after 12 weeks of working shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

vintagevrs wrote: »
    This covid thing has nearly put me off cars. Two lumps been sitting in the drive now for months now doing very little. Her car hasn't been started in weeks I'd guess. My own car clicked over 100k miles today, and I have it two years now so normally would be getting an itch for something at this stage. Would like to get into a petrol again but can't justify anything now as a bicycle would nearly do me with the recent millage.

The Covid thing has actually done the opposite of put me off my car. I'm working from home all the time, and so in the evenings I'll often just take her out for a spin for the sake of driving because I miss it. I've been really enjoying spinning out the 100k roads, putting the foot down pulling away from roundabouts and enjoying the engine. No music, just driving. And the roads are basically empty in the evenings even still. It's nice to just enjoy driving the car for the sake of it with no commute or destination in mind.

Up to mid March I'd done 7500kms, since then 3500kms........... I've been out 5 days/weeks for work buy not normal work really. I can't say I miss the motorway trips tbh ......... pootling about the country with little to no traffic is a joy in the fine weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Collected a new car on March 13th, currently have 2,874 km's on it, had it about 2 weeks before full lockdown came into effect, so did a few ~150-200km spins in it before we completely locked down, then for 2 months it only went to our local Tesco!

First time on the motorway yesterday in 2 1/2 months, and I still let it drive itself!!

This is an incoherent rambling post for the most part (you've been warned!) but I bought a 2007 Ford Galaxy in June or July of 2018. Unfortunately it got wrote off in a car accident in November of '18, and I ended up in a Mondeo as I needed to get back on the road swiftly.

I've since been pottering around in Mondeos and I reckon the one I'm currently in is heading to the scrapyard when it's NCT is due (expires in December, so will hopefully last that long). So being bored and nosey, I've been keeping an eye on 2007/2008 Galaxy's for sale on Adverts and Donedeal, and it seems that they have managed to get more expensive since I bought my one two years ago.

Not only have they somehow managed to go up in price, I'm fairly confident some of the same ones that were for sale when I was looking are actually still for sale.

When I bought mine it was off one of the indy dealers around Kylemore road in Dublin. Yer man couldn't give it to me fast enough. Asking price on it was 3,500 and I think I offered 2,350. He took the hand off me and it had almost full year of NCT if i recall (albeit some minor aesthetic issues, but nothing too bad).

Is it worth while bothering to make offers to private sellers? Or are there too many low-ball merchants out there that effectively ruin it for everyone else as no one gets taken seriously when they make an offer? I'd normally prefer to view a car in person before talking money, but I just want a spacious runaround and I know I wouldn't pay near the price some are asking for their Galaxys that are sitting there months for sale.

Brakes on my Mondeo are squeaking and grinding the last couple of days but I don't want to spend anything on it if it's going to car heaven fairly soonish, so I'm sitting here with my car dilemma 6 months earlier than I'd hoped to. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Wailin

Brakes on my Mondeo are squeaking and grinding the last couple of days but I don't want to spend anything on it if it's going to car heaven fairly soonish, so I'm sitting here with my car dilemma 6 months earlier than I'd hoped to. :(

December is a long way away for those brakes in that condition!

Wailin wrote: »
    December is a long way away for those brakes in that condition!

Hence car dilemma 6 months earlier than hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Please don't be cheap when it comes to something like this. It's not just you but other road users you have to think of

• Advertisement

When Taxing a car online what's the story with them looking for full insurance details policy number etc. Whats it used for or does the system actually verify it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,162 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It has no way of verifying it. Put in last year's policy or one from 5 years ago and it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

CIP4 wrote: »
    When Taxing a car online what's the story with them looking for full insurance details policy number etc. Whats it used for or does the system actually verify it ?

Since its been done online I've always put in gobbledegook for the insurance details... A guard pulled me up on it one day because that's something they can actually see with Pulse. I still put in gobbledegook though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I just put in random numbers, pretty handy for taxing cars that aren't insured

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What would a set of pads be 30-50 euro. Worth it to change them and the car will probably last till December.

Can change them yourself? It's not that difficult. Wheel off and two bolts usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

2016/17 BMW 320d msport

Or

2016/17 Golf GTD (prob pre facelift)

Have my golf a few years now. Getting the itch to change and I think it's between these 2. Slight leaning BMW..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Probably go with the 320d as it will be a better car to drive but the golf is also an excellent car as well. I always said lately that if I was to change my car soon and was spending +15k the F30 and GTi/GTD would defiantly be contenders.

What would a set of pads be 30-50 euro. Worth it to change them and the car will probably last till December.

Can change them yourself? It's not that difficult. Wheel off and two bolts usually.

Hmm.. I dunno, I know there are discs and pads, and calipers and such, but I don't really know my way around the brakes mechanically.

Last time I got all the brakes done on a car (again not sure what parts, but i know it was front and back) was an old Focus and the bill was nearer the €300 mark. Which is what I was expecting this time around. If the car's going to the scrapyard, it's €300 i'd rather put towards something else.

Anyway, the plan is to drop it over to mechanic next week. Give it a look over in general and see is it worth trying to give it the kiss of life, or am I better to just swap it out and send it to it's untimely death. :(

Hmm.. I dunno, I know there are discs and pads, and calipers and such, but I don't really know my way around the brakes mechanically.

Last time I got all the brakes done on a car (again not sure what parts, but i know it was front and back) was an old Focus and the bill was nearer the €300 mark. Which is what I was expecting this time around.

Anyway, the plan is to drop it over to mechanic next week. Give it a look over in general and see is it worth trying to give it the kiss of life, or am I better to just swap it out and send it to it's untimely death. :(

It's fairly unlikely all 4 pads and discs are worn. If you are lucky it might only need a set of pads which I would imagine you would get done for sub €100.

CIP4 wrote: »
    It's fairly unlikely all 4 pads and discs are worn. If you are lucky it might only need a set of pads which I would imagine you would get done for sub €100.

Fingers crossed you're on the money. To be honest, I don't mind spending a grand on the car, if it'll go through the NCT. I just don't want to pump a grand into it and have it fail on something relatively vague like emissions, which could be the same expense again trying to figure out whats wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Fingers crossed you're on the money. To be honest, I don't mind spending a grand on the car, if it'll go through the NCT. I just don't want to pump a grand into it and have it fail on something relatively vague like emissions, which could be the same expense again trying to figure out whats wrong.

Unless its whaling out black smoke it'll pass the "emissions" test so I'd not worry about that.

You'll know by looking at the discs if they're goosed. Check for a lip on the outer edge or put pics up here of them. If they're sound a set of pads definitely won't break the bank.

On the Galaxy point there's no value to be had on the 08 model they were one of the few mpv's ready for the start of the cheap tax era and as such they've remained strongly priced. Smax's tend to be cheaper if you've your heart set on another ford.

On the Galaxy point there's no value to be had on the 08 model they were one of the few mpv's ready for the start of the cheap tax era and as such they've remained strongly priced. Smax's tend to be cheaper if you've your heart set on another ford.

I had a Galaxy before, and I just loved it. All the space. Effectively a van, without the hassle of the commercial aspect, and more comfortable seats. Thought it was great.

So it's not so much another Ford, but specifically another Galaxy. I was also looking at other MPVs but none look as nice as the 07+ Galaxy in my opinion.

But I'll report back after my mechanic has looked at the Mondeo and advised. I'm in 'aggressive mortgage paydown' mode at the moment, so I'm trying to limit my spending on cars to the bare minimum. I'd rather a Galaxy, but if i can keep the mondeo on the road for another year for under €1k, I'd jump at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Did 21k km in new (to me) car from November to start of March, and have not done 1k km more since.
    Crazy.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Did 21k km in new (to me) car from November to start of March, and have not done 1k km more since.
    Crazy.

Think of all the savings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Augeo wrote: »
    Think of all the savings :D
    I can but assume you're being ironic.
    She costs me the same if I do 100km or 100k km!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Anyone owned or driven a 2.2 T/SR 180 Auris ?

I always go back to checking prices on em on autotrader as on paper they're interesting. Thinking of buying one for around 2k and remapping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re not as fast as you’d think.
    Interior is pretty shonky too, and reliability wouldn’t be great on the 180.

Basically a front wheel drive Lexus IS220d.

Nox charge would kill any value you’d have importing from the UK. Nox alone would cost more than the car.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They’re not as fast as you’d think.
    Interior is pretty shonky too, and reliability wouldn’t be great on the 180.

Basically a front wheel drive Lexus IS220d.

Nox charge would kill any value you’d have importing from the UK. Nox alone would cost more than the car.

Thanks, think I'll avoid given that. Completely forgot about Nox too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ya can't remap them either, only put a tuning box on for a bit more fuel and they're hard enough on diesel as it is.

• Advertisement

Ya can't remap them either, only put a tuning box on for a bit more fuel and they're hard enough on diesel as it is.

Meant the tuning box. Thanks lads, after more research I'll go back to sourcing a legacy b4 for myself. Don't stop me with that one :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement