Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

83032894-10212906221848965-679217022198144278-o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jesus if it works it is pretty amazing. Changed the steering rack and pedals over.

Asking the passenger what speed am at at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Got quoted €300 for a second service for my wife’s car at a Citroen dealership. There’s 30k km and it’s 2018 car. C4 Cactus 1.2 puretech.
    When I asked what the service entailed he said oil, filters and “plugs”.
    Apart from spitting out my coffee at the price wtf are plugs being changed for at that mileage?
    Is this normal?
    Main stealers won’t be getting my business

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

cadaliac wrote: »
    Got quoted €300 for a second service for my wife’s car at a Citroen dealership. There’s 30k km and it’s 2018 car. C4 Cactus 1.2 puretech.
    When I asked what the service entailed he said oil, filters and “plugs”.
    Apart from spitting out my coffee at the price wtf are plugs being changed for at that mileage?
    Is this normal?
    Main stealers won’t be getting my business

Expensive, but I wouldn't want to be persuing a big warranty claim, or potential goodwill, without a spotless main dealer service history.

I've a diesel Sorento, 2.2 but for comparison.......
    20k service €200 ....... oil and oil filter
    40k service €226.........oil and air & oil filter and a tyre rotation
    60k service €360.......... oil, oil, air, pollen and fuel filters

But on the citroen website they detail the following for 1.2 c4 Cactus .....https://www.citroenservice.ie/.....

€147.22 .......... CITROEN FEEL GOOD SERVICE WITH FREE BULB REPLACEMENT
    This is an annual Service using Citroen Approved fully synthetic TOTAL Oil and includes an oil filter change. Check and Top Up Engine Coolant and Screen wash. Complete check for any outstanding recalls or service campaigns. Carry out vehicle health check and report. Reset service indicator, Citroen Authorised Repairer stamp in the handbook.

€353.96 .......MAJOR SERVICE - WITH FREE BULB REPLACEMENT
    This is a Major Service using Citroen Approved fully synthetic TOTAL Oil and includes an oil filter change, new air filter, new fuel filter or spark plugs (depending on fuel type) new pollen filter, screen wash and a brake fluid change. Complete check for any outstanding manufacturer updates or service campaigns. Carry out vehicle health check and report. Reset service indicator, Citroen Authorised Repairer stamp in the handbook. The price quoted includes parts and labour and includes vat.

So in your case, it looks like the major service without the brake fluid change............ now, I doubt plugs are required at 30k kms ......... but the price sugests they aren't longlife plugs anyway ?

All considered it doesn't sound like they are robbing you as such.

• Advertisement

Expensive, but I wouldn't want to be persuing a big warranty claim, or potential goodwill, without a spotless main dealer service history.

No, don't agree with you. OEM parts used by a reputable workshop/dealer and receipts to prove such.
    There have been other cases in the past that had no issues. Reported widely.

No, don't agree with you. OEM parts used by a reputable workshop/dealer and receipts to prove such.

Indeed, fine for warranty claims. More the goodwill might be an issue but folk with full service histories from dealers often get little of that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

In an ideal world, I'd agree, and I believe EU law states the same. I stay out of the dealer as much as I can too.

For the sake of a couple of services while the car is still under warranty though, and it's likely still being paid off, I'd just go with them and suck it up.

Zero possiblity for argument if a big issue comes up, and no hope of them trying to weasel out of it by blaming another mechanic while you're stuck in the middle.

Stupid question perhaps, but can anyone tell me, if i have a Mondeo with cruise control (buttons on steering wheel) and a Galaxy with no cruise control (no buttons, but same year/same steering wheel etc) is it possible to retrofit the cruise control to the Galaxy?

Theres a reasonably cheap galaxy for sale near me, but it doesnt have cruise, so im just wondering if i can get cruise control into it or is it an option to retrofit at all.

EDIT: Both cars are 2007, so im not talking about going to Ford or such, but could an indy mechanic or autoelectrician do it?

Stupid question perhaps, but can anyone tell me, if i have a Mondeo with cruise control (buttons on steering wheel) and a Galaxy with no cruise control (no buttons, but same year/same steering wheel etc) is it possible to retrofit the cruise control to the Galaxy?

Theres a reasonably cheap galaxy for sale near me, but it doesnt have cruise, so im just wondering if i can get cruise control into it or is it an option to retrofit at all.

EDIT: Both cars are 2007, so im not talking about going to Ford or such, but could an indy mechanic or autoelectrician do it?

Not a stupid question but only someone with great knowledge of both cars can answer that.

Anything can be done but how big of a deal it is to do it I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's not as simple as that though, you do need to be a bit careful.

While it's true, I've yet to see a service history from an independent workshop that will stand up to scrutiny.

Some are better than others but what I've found in my own experience (and this isn't having a pop at the OP above) is that someone who wont pay €300 to service a 2 year old 30k car will generally take it to fred in the shed who will service it for €100 and they'll "save a packet" but poor auld fred can hardly string a sentence never mind provide a VAT invoice outlining part numbers and brands used, oil quantity and spec and noting the exact mileage.

Most independent workshops that are thorough enough to do that are nearly charging main dealer money anyway.

Dealt with a case just last week with a 2 year old car, 35k kms on it, where it threw a rod. Owner was kicking off big time. They bought it ex hire drive from the UK, first owner being ERAC who had self serviced the car, didn't note part numbers or even parts replaced and didn't note exact mileage, never had a second service. The supplying dealer just done lights and levels pre sale and sent it on it's way. Car turned up at a dealer in the republic looking for an engine but no such luck. An extreme example, sure but service history counts and these problems do crop up. An absolute bloodbath, not necessarily the owners fault directly but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

From a quick look it does seem possible. Need the switches and loom and then use forscan software to enable the cruise control function. I did this recently on my fiesta but it's 16 model.

Dealt with a case just last week with a 2 year old car, 35k kms on it, where it threw a rod. Owner was kicking off big time. They bought it ex hire drive from the UK, first owner being ERAC who had self serviced the car, didn't note part numbers or even parts replaced and didn't note exact mileage, never had a second service. The supplying dealer just done lights and levels pre sale and sent it on it's way. Car turned up at a dealer in the republic looking for an engine but no such luck. An extreme example, sure but service history counts and these problems do crop up. An absolute bloodbath, not necessarily the owners fault directly but you get the idea.

Just out of curiosity what car was it. One service in 35k kms isn't too bad unless they threw 15w40 into it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Augeo wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity what car was it. One service in 35k kms isn't too bad unless they threw wd40 into it :pac:

FYP...:P

An Up!

Up can only be ran on 15k intervals but funnily enough the same setup in a Polo can be ran on 30k intervals.

Personally I dont think the lack of servicing was the cause but that doesn't count for much. The point of the yarn is the history may be scrutinised when you need it most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Tbh I think anyone in the position to have a 1,2,3 year old car still under manufacturers warranty should really be in the position to be able to afford to pay main dealer prices for services when you bare in mind you will be in a lot better position if something does go wrong with the car.

My car is 2.5 years old so not even close to new anymore and to be quite honest I would lose more on depreciation in the space of a month than it would cost to service the car in a main dealer.

It's not as simple as that though, you do need to be a bit careful.

While it's true, I've yet to see a service history from an independent workshop that will stand up to scrutiny.

Some are better than others but what I've found in my own experience (and this isn't having a pop at the OP above) s tihat someone who wont pay €300 to service a 2 year old 30k car will generally take it to fred in the shed who will service it for €100 and they'll "save a packet" but poor auld fred can hardly string a sentence never mind provide a VAT invoice outlining part numbers and brands used, oil quantity and spec and noting the exact mileage.

Most independent workshops that are thorough enough to do that are nearly charging main dealer money anyway.

Yea, I actually agree now. The initial shock of the price was getting me. It was going to cost me €200 anyway so the dealer stamp is definitely worth the extra €100.
    I spoke to my Mechanic and he also stated the same. To be honest, I don't know what I was thinking in reality this morning as I've always had older cars and never used dealerships. This would have been the second car in our house that we've had since new, the previous being a 206 that we had for over 10 years. So, I couldn't remember what prices I was paying back when that was in warranty. Anyway, yes. I'll climb back down and come to my senses.

Its good to talk to petrol heads every so often. Especially in these mad times.
    Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Folks, what are BMW E63 like? Just as a general question. Specifically a pre 2006 3litre?
    My dad has a 645 for a good few years now. Super smooth on motorway. Nice cockpit feeling in driver seat and good visibility with small A pillar. Not as long a car as you might imagine and with the active steering yoke it's actually nice for manoeuvring in carparks etc.

CCC idrive causes problems overheating and the electrics are very sensitive to bad batteries.

My dad had all the issues with the V8, coolant leak and oil leaks so it was engine out fcukery but now it's all sorted.

Insurance is cheap he pays 500 but is 60 something. Car looks very well at night with the puddle lights in the auto mirrors and illuminated door sills.

I'd love a 630 if I could get a clean one but also I think it would be almost a necessity to retrofit a CIC or nbt into it. Doesn't bother him but I couldn't be dealing with the CCC.

When we were looking there were some absolutely dog rough examples and it's hard to find one that someone hasn't tried to make it look like an M6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

2200 @120kmh.....

I just found it strange that by time I got to the end of the M9 when I hit the roundabout it decided to regen (I think). Holding onto the gears and more of a deeper sound from the engine is what seems to be when its taking place. And that horrible burning smell through the vents when stationary.

Just going back to this again.

Would 3 regens in about 1200km sound about right or too much? As with the previous one today's seemed to take place doing low-ish speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

An Up!

Up can only be ran on 15k intervals but funnily enough the same setup in a Polo can be ran on 30k intervals.

Personally I dont think the lack of servicing was the cause but that doesn't count for much. The point of the yarn is the history may be scrutinised when you need it most.

We had something similar. Fella kicked up a right stink over his car but he got it serviced somewhere else but also servicing it himself but no invoices for parts. In fairness the other garage had everything recorded with invoices,bought the parts off us etc. He went over our heads but the manufacturer wasn't interested but eventually agreed they'd pay 50% of the repair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Serviced the 2015 A4 the other day at a main Audi dealer. Decent value tbh. 199 for a run of the mill service, nothing fancy. Also got a 36 point health check, which came back with literally no advisors or notes (v rare I was told). Thought there was an issue with a top mount so I mentioned this when I brought it in, this was checked also and found to be fine. In out 2 hours, no fuss, everything done efficiently and recorded. Also got a 30 euro voucher off the next service (and asked if I'd take some number plate surrounds :rolleyes: how cute)

Good experience from this side anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Serviced the 2015 A4 the other day at a main Audi dealer. Decent value tbh. 199 for a run of the mill service, nothing fancy. Also got a 36 point health check, which came back with literally no advisors or notes (v rare I was told). Thought there was an issue with a top mount so I mentioned this when I brought it in, this was checked also and found to be fine. In out 2 hours, no fuss, everything done efficiently and recorded. Also got a 30 euro voucher off the next service (and asked if I'd take some number plate surrounds :rolleyes: how cute)

Yes I always found the Audi dealer I went too very good superior to any other main dealers I ever got my cars serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Why didn't you buy a service pack? They do pretty good service packs!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Car is now 3 months sitting in the driveway :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Truckermal wrote: »
    Why didn't you buy a service pack? They do pretty good service packs!

A what now.

For a 151 A4 a €499 service pack would get you....... https://audiserviceplans.ie/runtime/server/session/a800ed9b-cff6-4735-87eb-8c9025360341/mvc/index.html##topPage

Included in your Direct Mail offer:

1 Expert Service

1 Major Service

1 Brake Fluid Replacement

1 Gear Oil Change (automatic models)

Your visit also includes complimentary Vehicle Health Checks and Wash & Vacuums courtesy of your Local Audi Dealer.

Not bad if you've a DSG tbh....... . for a manual I dunno though.

Actually ........... https://www.audi.ie/ie/web/en/customer-area/audi-service/fixed-price-service.html

Expert service €199 (as you were charged) and the Major is €389 ....... Gear oil change is €290.

The €499 offer is tremendous if you've an auto.

Cost of brake change less labour for some new Porche's.

516928.jpg

Full video if you want to watch it.

Audi were running a winter service plan offer last year, 2x oil services, a brake fluid change and a set of wipers for €279, was very good. It was supposed to translate into a summer service plan offer but the same basic deal. Maybe Covid has slowed it being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jaysus.

On that subject, I enquired about doing a major service on the Skoda earlier. Quoted €250 which is fair enough, matches their menu pricing.
    Told me the interval was 15k/12 months. I asked about long life oil as my last one was 20k mine interval in uk. They said they can do the long interval for the same price. I asked what the difference was and she said the only difference was the setting of the service reminder and they used the same oil either way.

Does that sound right?

• Advertisement

Yeah that's right.

A simpler way to phrase it (that a service advisor wouldn't say) is that VAG dealers use long life oil in every service but set them to 15k by default. You'd only do a long life service on fleet stuff or if someone specifically asks for it but the long life oil goes into everything, every single time.

So yeah, it'd be the same service, same price and just setting the dash to 30k as opposed to 15.

Good to see another long life enthusiast btw:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement