Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jesus new tax rates ruined the Clio sport. Old news obviously but just realized today. Madness on a 2 litre to be paying that high a rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Lads quick question.

Should a dpf still regen when using cruise control ?

Drove on the motorway for nearly 2 hours and it seems the the car tried to perform a regen when I got off the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Lads quick question.

Should a dpf still regen when using cruise control ?

Drove on the motorway for nearly 2 hours and it seems the the car tried to perform a regen when I got off the motorway.

Absolutely, cruise control for a long time with no change is probably the best condition for the DPF

When you were on the motorway, what rev was she sitting at ?

Absolutely, cruise control for a long time with no change is probably the best condition for the DPF

When you were on the motorway, what rev was she sitting at ?

2200 @120kmh.....

I just found it strange that by time I got to the end of the M9 when I hit the roundabout it decided to regen (I think). Holding onto the gears and more of a deeper sound from the engine is what seems to be when its taking place. And that horrible burning smell through the vents when stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

2200 @120kmh.....

I just found it strange that by time I got to the end of the M9 when I hit the roundabout it decided to regen (I think). Holding onto the gears and more of a deeper sound from the engine is what seems to be when its taking place. And that horrible burning smell through the vents when stationary.

It happened to me a few times when I had diesels. I suppose it’s impossible for the car to know how long you will be on the motorway for and when you are getting off. Maybe the soot levels just weren’t high enough for it to request a regen on the earlier part of your motorway trip.

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    It happened to me a few times when I had diesels. I suppose it’s impossible for the car to know how long you will be on the motorway for and when you are getting off. Maybe the soot levels just weren’t high enough for it to request a regen on the earlier part of your motorway trip.

True that. I'm thinking of picking up a Carly adaptor so I can monitor the soot and ash levels. Unless someone could recommend something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

True that. I'm thinking of picking up a Carly adaptor so I can monitor the soot and ash levels. Unless someone could recommend something different.

Tbh I wouldn't be worried about it.

If you do a drive like that regularly the car will be doing the Regen automatically without you knowing on the motorway. Those revs would be fine for it.

It's not about the car knowing how long your going to be be on the motorway but more the car will meet the conditions and just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Well I bought one, let's see how long it lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jesus you could have got a car with a decent size engine.....

Edit: Like a 8 litre... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Well I bought one, let's see how long it lasts

Nice one and tested until February!

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    Nice one and tested until February!

Indeed, trouble free for a while and insurance was only 130 extra for the whole year

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Best colour on them too IMO

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Best colour on them too IMO

I wasn't sure, the first time I viewed I wasn't certain as I felt the silver fell away but on second viewing today (and after sleeping on it and not being able to take my mind off it all day/night) it definitely felt good. I took it for a good 35 minute test drive too before I bought, and bar some wheel balancing in the front left it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I wasn't sure, the first time I viewed I wasn't certain as I felt the silver fell away but on second viewing today (and after sleeping on it and not being able to take my mind off it all day/night) it definitely felt good. I took it for a good 35 minute test drive too before I bought, and bar some wheel balancing in the front left it's perfect.

So no Quattroporte! :P

Smashing buy. Is it one of the two from Rockfield Cars?

So no Quattroporte! :P

Smashing buy. Is it one of the two from Rockfield Cars?

As impractical as that would have been, no :P

Yeah, I bit my tongue and realised that I liked the car too much (it was the better of the two) to not go back so I made a point of making sure the other fella didn't cross my path :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Only really seeing the benefits of the cheaper fuel prices now since I went back to working Mon-Fri. I don't normally run the tank below quarter but the last two times ran it till the light came on and was still only €56 to fill. Just looking back and the end of Jan I put the exact same volume of fuel into the tank and it cost just under €68 that's a fair difference.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Only really seeing the benefits of the cheaper fuel prices now since I went back to working Mon-Fri. I don't normally run the tank below quarter but the last two times ran it till the light came on and was still only €56 to fill. Just looking back and the end of Jan I put the exact same volume of fuel into the tank and it cost just under €68 that's a fair difference.

I filled the Subaru two weeks ago for €52, cheapest it's been in years... Today I filled the LS460 for €103...Swings and roundabouts apparently :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Folks, what are BMW E63 like? Just as a general question. Specifically a pre 2006 3litre?

630i is the most pocket friendly of them I'd imagine. The v8s are double the trouble with oil leaks etc.
    If there's no brake warning lights on & lights illuminate upon startup & it drives OK I'd be tempted TBH.
    Great presence & lovely cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi all

Any recommendations for alloy refurb as close to Waterford as possible?

I've got an opportunity to get them done while OH is (hopefully) on hols in Aug. as I don't need to use the car.

Current wheels are diamond cut but I don't need them re-finished that way. Will just go for as silver as possible.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Saw a red Dodge Viper on the back of a pickup truck today outside Galway. No photo unfortunately as was driving.

Anyone know of one in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Cork city council: We need to widen the footpath here and get rid of two parking spaces to show everyone we care about pedestrians and we prioritise them as a sign of progress.

This guy:

20200508-140032.jpg

20200607-180425.jpg

20200610-161222.jpg

Severe lack of parking spaces in this area, and the city council builds a completely useless piece of footpath.

We don't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

We don't care!

wRRkPq4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Cork city council: We need to widen the footpath here and get rid of two parking spaces to show everyone we care about pedestrians and we prioritise them as a sign of progress.

This guy:

20200508-140032.jpg

20200607-180425.jpg

20200610-161222.jpg

Severe lack of parking spaces in this area, and the city council builds a completely useless piece of footpath.

The funny thing is that each of your photos illustrate illegally parked commercial vehicles not carrying out any commercial function. They simply don’t need to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And empty parking spaces behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Marcusm wrote: »
    The funny thing is that each of your photos illustrate illegally parked commercial vehicles not carrying out any commercial function. They simply don’t need to be there.

Even if you're passing and you havn't had your coffee?

Even if you're passing and you havn't had your coffee?

Would you drink Coffee out of that yoke? I certainly wouldn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Would you drink Coffee out of that yoke? I certainly wouldn't...

Be no worse than the stuff out of a petrol station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

eljono wrote: »
    Saw a red Dodge Viper on the back of a pickup truck today outside Galway. No photo unfortunately as was driving.

Anyone know of one in Ireland?
    There's at least two, of which one is a blue SRT10 on UK plates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement