Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Yes if they don’t want you to bring cash I would push for a bank draft but you would want to make sure you go to the bank with them to watch them get it or that they show you the receipt for the bank draft so you can verify it is real. Not sure how common fake bank drafts are these days. A bank draft is as good as cash as if they have to actually have to money to get the draft. Where as with bank transfers you have to wait for it to clear and all that.

If they push for the transfer I would just sell it to someone else as 5k I personally wouldn’t consider an excessive amount to pay it cash so most people would just pay for it with cash. Any car I every bought at that kind of money I paid for with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes if they don’t want you to bring cash I would push for a bank draft but you would want to make sure you go to the bank with them to watch them get it or that they show you the receipt for the bank draft so you can verify it is real. Not sure how common fake bank drafts are these days. A bank draft is as good as cash as if they have to actually have to money to get the draft. Where as with bank transfers you have to wait for it to clear and all that.

If they push for the transfer I would just sell it to someone else as 5k I personally wouldn’t consider an excessive amount to pay it cash so most people would just pay for it with cash. Any car I every bought at that kind of money I paid for with cash.

That would be my way of thinking as well as i usually paid in cash for any car i purchased privately.
    Had two people view today both offerred near my asking both people i know locally and both would prefer to pay via bank transfer hopefully should be all done and dusted by the end of this week
    Time to start the new search for a newer car without a trade in which will make things easier as no one was interested as the car as a trade.
    Hopefully i find a banger in the meantime to tide me over
    Thanks for all the advice lads much appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Theres zero wrong with a transfer, once money is in account. Less hassle, no counting or dodgy notes. I recently sold an item on done deal for less than a grand the guy paid with a transfer. Was in my account straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Theres zero wrong with a transfer, once money is in account. Less hassle, no counting or dodgy notes. I recently sold an item on done deal for less than a grand the guy paid with a transfer. Was in my account straight away.

That can still be taken back.... Same as a cheque.
    Cheque will show up as your balance but it coulybounce.

Like PayPal, people have been burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why wait till the Tesla truck is available to buy when you can build your own.....

• Advertisement

crasy dash wrote: »
    That would be my way of thinking as well as i usually paid in cash for any car i purchased privately.
    Had two people view today both offerred near my asking both people i know locally and both would prefer to pay via bank transfer hopefully should be all done and dusted by the end of this week
    Time to start the new search for a newer car without a trade in which will make things easier as no one was interested as the car as a trade.
    Hopefully i find a banger in the meantime to tide me over
    Thanks for all the advice lads much appreciated:)

Is it the B8 A4 you are selling or do you still have it ? Any ideas what
    you are going to buy next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Is there anything similar to an Octavia VRS these days? Thinking of going back to a petrol next year and want something that's not a 1 litre in a big car, something with some poke in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Is there anything similar to an Octavia VRS these days? Thinking of going back to a petrol next year and want something that's not a 1 litre in a big car, something with some poke in it.

Ya a VRS, Golf R, Audi S3 saloon, BMW M135i, 335i, Volvo S60 T6... the list is fairly concise and long. Budget and needs would help?

That can still be taken back.... Same as a cheque.
    Cheque will show up as your balance but it coulybounce.

Like PayPal, people have been burned.

Not sure how? I can't transfer money I dont have as it will tell me straight away. I can write a cheque for whatever I like though.

"A wire transfer is a fast, secure way to send money between two parties. ... Since the funds must be available before the payment can be sent, a wire transfer can't bounce or come back “NSF” (Insufficient Funds) in the same way that a cheque can."

Not sure how? I can't transfer money I dont have as it will tell me straight away. I can write a cheque for whatever I like though.

"A wire transfer is a fast, secure way to send money between two parties. ... Since the funds must be available before the payment can be sent, a wire transfer can't bounce or come back “NSF” (Insufficient Funds) in the same way that a cheque can."

Well I doubt anyone would take a cheque these days and you can only get a bank draft for money you have in your account. With a transfer you have a period of time to cancel it. With a bank draft you can’t cancel it without bringing back the physical draft to the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Is it the B8 A4 you are selling or do you still have it ? Any ideas what
    you are going to buy next ?

Yes still have it for another few days till the new owner collects.

Only real reason i sold it was i changed jobs last year now do very small miles a year and got it into my head i wanted a change ill buy a run around to keep me going till i find the right car.

Well I doubt anyone would take a cheque these days and you can only get a bank draft for money you have in your account. With a transfer you have a period of time to cancel it. With a bank draft you can’t cancel it without bringing back the physical draft to the bank.

Can you tell the difference between a legit and fake bank draft? I wouldn't trust myself to know the difference for a large sum of money. If the transfer hits the account, it can't be reversed like a cheque as the previous post implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ya a VRS, Golf R, Audi S3 saloon, BMW M135i, 335i, Volvo S60 T6... the list is fairly concise and long. Budget and needs would help?

Brain was pulling a blank trying to think of anything else that's not a hatch.
    Don't have a budget yet as I was just playing with the idea for now.
    Needs are not a hatchback, really. Gotten used to the size of the Mazda 6, handy when there's more than me and the missus in the car.

Can you tell the difference between a legit and fake bank draft? I wouldn't trust myself to know the difference for a large sum of money. If the transfer hits the account, it can't be reversed like a cheque as the previous post implied.

Hence why I said above if getting a draft you would accompany the person to the bank when getting it or get them to show you the receipt they would of got with the draft.

With the transfer it wouldn’t always be instant depending if you are with the same banks or not etc. Tbh it’s been a good while since I bought or sold a car privately and when I did it was always for cash but highest value would of been 8-10k.

With dealers they seem to not give a sh!t if you rock up with a draft or cash or whatever and just take it at face value as being genuine well that’s my experience anyway. Actually I brought a cash deposit to one of a couple of thousand and the guy didn’t even count it said he trusted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Brain was pulling a blank trying to think of anything else that's not a hatch.
    Don't have a budget yet as I was just playing with the idea for now.
    Needs are not a hatchback, really. Gotten used to the size of the Mazda 6, handy when there's more than me and the missus in the car.

335i/340i for me anyway. There will be one to suit most budgets really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You don’t have a period of time to cancel a transfer and bank drafts are susceptible to forgery.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Free into Mondello today for the drifting. And €20 if you want a spin round and round in one of the cars, as a passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Happy new year everyone! :D

Let the force be with you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Are the 201 reg out tomorrow? I'm not in Ireland to search.

Will the guy in Portlaoise get a 201 LS 1,2,3,4 Focus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ROFL:ROFL:LOL:ROFL:ROFL
    __________A____
    __L___/______[]_\
    __O===_________\
    __L____\ _________]
    __________I____I__

He might go all out and get a helicopter like the one above....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MOD: Last few posts deleted. Any more of that craic and there will be bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Send that on to Garda Traffic Watch. This person fool needs to be removed from our roads asap.

Plate looks like 06 CE 770

So I rang traffic watch and they found it kinda amusing that I tried to report this to them. I was asked to bring the video to a local Garda station. My local Garda station doesn't have work friendly opening hours these days. So I'll see what I can do next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So I rang traffic watch and they found it kinda amusing that I tried to report this to them. I was asked to bring the video to a local Garda station. My local Garda station doesn't have work friendly opening hours these days. So I'll see what I can do next week.

They were wrong so... I've never had such an issue.

Ring them again, report dangerous driving give all details and they get a gaurd to come to you or if you can arrange a time to meet at a station....

I'd guess it will be rathfarnham or most likely Dundrum as it was in that area.

That's quite strange how they dealt with it.
    They aren't Gaurds that take the call.

My car has long service intervals (about 20k miles) so I have been doing ones in between at 10k.

Car is due one now. I spotted half price oil in halfords today, 4L for 20 euro instead of 40 euro for Castrol Magnatec 5W30 which is full synthetic and meets the LL04 spec for my engine.

On the shelf above was 4L of Castrol edge, fully synthetic LL04 for €60.

Does anyone know the difference in the two? I usually use Liqui Moly, but thought at 20 quid for 4L and meets the spec this Magnatec stuff might be ok? Any thoughts or does it even matter.

Cheers

My car has long service intervals (about 20k miles) so I have been doing ones in between at 10k.

Car is due one now. I spotted half price oil in halfords today, 4L for 20 euro instead of 40 euro for Castrol Magnatec 5W30 which is full synthetic and meets the LL04 spec for my engine.

On the shelf above was 4L of Castrol edge, fully synthetic LL04 for €60.

Does anyone know the difference in the two? I usually use Liqui Moly, but thought at 20 quid for 4L and meets the spec this Magnatec stuff might be ok? Any thoughts or does it even matter.

Cheers

Edge is just a higher spec oil overall compared to Magnatec. So in your case both meet the BMW spec but in general for newer cars you would need Edge. For example Magnatec meets VW 502 / 505 spec whereas Edge meets VW504 / 507. For the last few cars I have owned it would be Edge that would meet the required Spec, Magnatec wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I was always told not to use Castrol because it's supposed to be rubbish these days, people still buy it based on past glories if that makes sense.

I know there was a time when it was the oil BMW recommended but those days are gone a while.

If I've ever needed to top up the oil in mine, I've always used Petronas 5W40 and was always happy with it.

Mine got an oil service recently and the garage put 5W40 Liqui Moly into it, only 800 miles clocked up since the service so far, so very early days, but it seems to be working an absolute treat in it, different engines of course but if you were happy with it before then I'd stick with it.

Maybe a silly question, and not worthy of its own thread, but is there such a thing as having someone call to your house to do a diagnostic, or calling to someone to get a quick diagnostic done?

Basically I need to replace an abs sensor and I don't know which one. It's a pain in the ass having to drop it to a garage first for a diagnostic and then to go back when they have the past. Plus charge for diagnostics are ridiculous (I should have bought one from China !)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Could anyone recommend a small car 1.4 abouts for mostly short spins for a lady in her late 50's.
    Milage about 15k Kms a year.
    Budget about 4k I think.

Yeah it's still Castrol on the oil filler cap so still oem choice.

I'd prefer Liqui Moly but no stock locally. Might just order online and can leave the Magnatec back if needed. Just lifted it whilst it was half price.

It meets the standard for the engine, so it's prob 110 but just placebo telling me put fancier stuff in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

blade1 wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a small car 1.4 abouts for mostly short spins for a lady in her late 50's.
    Milage about 15k Kms.
    Budget about 4k I think.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-clio-music-2010-1-1-nct-11-2021-tax-01-20/23670900

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement