Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jmreire wrote: »
    Yes, mine will be 10 years old in April 2020, so I plan on booking it in as early as I possibly can, mid January , if that falls within the 90 day deadline.Will give me a chance to rectify any faults that the NCT will reveal. And still get it passed before the 10 year deadline.

If your current NCT is due on April 15th for example then you need to do and pass the test before Jan 15th to get a 2 year cert. If you pass the test on Jan 16th then you would get a 1 year plus 29 days cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭jmreire

bazz26 wrote: »
    If your current NCT is due on April 15th for example then you need to do and pass the test before Jan 15th to get a 2 year cert. If you pass the test on Jan 16th then you would get a 1 year plus 29 days cert.

WOW, that's news to me..I assumed that once the NCT was done and passed within the 3 mth / 90 day deadline, that was it, you were good for a 2 year NCT. Good job I was following this post, Thank's bazz26.

bazz26 wrote: »

Part 2: I have just checked the date's and my NCT is due on 12 april. So the nearest ( In every sense of the word ) is a date in Kilkenny for Jan 8th, so I have booked it. Now wait and see time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Dia_Anseo_Aris

A friend of mine who ye might know around this parish, Dia_anseo, imported a UK car and swapped the 9 months remaining MOT for 9 months NCT by paper application only. In addition, he also managed to get 515 euro VRT rebate.
    He's a cute hoore!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A friend of mine who ye might know around this parish, Dia_anseo, imported a UK car and swapped the 9 months remaining MOT for 9 months NCT by paper application only. In addition, he also managed to get 515 euro VRT rebate.
    He's a pain in the arse!

Fixed that there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

CIP4 wrote: »
    Got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 5 front tyres fitted this evening. Will be interested to see how they work out. They seem to get good reviews and I always found Asy 3 tyres to be great.

Got to properly try these out this evening what a difference some tyres make. The roads were quite wet and the Asy 5 are really very impressive small bit of wheel spin in 2nd put after that stuck to the road. The Pirelli would spin in 4th gear in the wet :eek: They never gave me the confidence to drive it on into corners where as now it handles as it should and you would expect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Got to properly try these out this evening what a difference some tyres make. The roads were quite wet and the Asy 5 are really very impressive small bit of wheel spin in 2nd put after that stuck to the road. The Pirelli would spin in 4th gear in the wet :eek: They never gave me the confidence to drive it on into corners where as now it handles as it should and you would expect :)

Is this on the road or a race track.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Is this on the road or a race track.

On the road. Found with the old tyres in the wet even at low speeds going around tight corners in the wet you could feel the tyres starting to loose traction. I think it might of been a case I just had a bad set as they were worn even and had 3.5-4mm of thread left on them.

On the road. Found with the old tyres in the wet even at low speeds going around tight corners in the wet you could feel the tyres starting to loose traction. I think it might of been a case I just had a bad set as they were worn even and had 3.5-4mm of thread left on them.

Apologies if you have already mentioned this before, but what make of car are you driving? Front or rear wheel drive?

jmreire wrote: »
    Apologies if you have already mentioned this before, but what make of car are you driving? Front or rear wheel drive?

Golf GTI Mk7.5 PP so front wheel drive with a mechanical LSD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Still unable to take off properly, huh?

salonfire wrote: »

Yes well that’s in the wet. I think you are always going to get a bit of wheel spin with its power and it only being 2wd. Your kind of on the limits of needing 4wd I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes well that’s in the wet. I think you are always going to get a bit of wheel spin with its power and it only being 2wd. Your kind of on the limits of needing 4wd I think.

I wouldn't pay any heed of him. Bit of a cheeky comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

€30 customs charge for this... The injustice :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What in the jaysus is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What in the jaysus is that?

An injustice !! :pac:

jprboy wrote: »
    An injustice !! :pac:

Oh yeah, funny angle, didn’t recognise it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Oh yeah, funny angle, didn’t recognise it!

It's a water neck tapped for sensor fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Driving home for Christmas this evening down the M7. Very little traffic, a very enjoyable podcast on the radio and all going well.

Suddenly...

JXLqaDwr.jpg

Safe to say, got one of the frights of my life. Looking forward to syncing my Fitbit when I got home to see how my heart rate looked.

What happened? A bang? Or was it a smooth transition. Did the car wobble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

More than just a wobble. New trousers needed I'd say.

Hal1 wrote: »
    More than just a wobble. New trousers needed I'd say.

I'd say so. I was just hoping OP would describe the out come.

I remember many , many years ago a timing belt broke on me and I thought the car popped out of gear as the revs went up. Little did I know at the time but it was a non interference engine so all it needed was a new belt and to be re-timed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Little bit of a tear in the side wall there, could do with a change.....

Glad to hear you're ok.

What happened? A bang? Or was it a smooth transition. Did the car wobble?

A small bang, followed by lots of wobble and about 40 "fúck...fúck....Jesus.....fúck..." choruses.

Luckily it happened about a football field's length away from the junction 17 off ramp so I was able to let it coast into the grass on the side of the ramp.

Edit: just checked my Fitbit - heart rate jumped to 96bpm in an instant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Had the tyre been kerbed?

Had the tyre been kerbed?

Been getting a "low pressure" warning every few weeks, but every time I check the pressure manually it's been spot on. Maybe my meter is dodgy! Doesn't matter anyway, I'm never driving again after that fright :o

I just heard about auto balancing beads. I know some of you may have heard of them before so I'm a bit late to the game but what do people think of them snake oil? Or excellent. Mixed reviews online.

For those that don't know what they are they are little beads that you install inside your wheel and you do not need to use traditional weights to balance the wheel the beads do the auto balancing for you.

I'm nearly thinking of getting some for the craic just to see as they are not that dear.

Sounds like a load of balls.

How do the beads move around the circumference of the alloy themselves are they in a tube or something like that. I still struggle to imagine how it would work.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    If I was you I'd try the oul' anal beads first...

That's a recommendation based on personal experience presumably?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement