Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Be grand.

Congrats on the move. Maybe get a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Be grand.

Congrats on the move. Maybe get a bike

Perfect cheers!

Thank you! It’s far from luxurious! But It’s grand for 70 euro a week. A bike is a great idea, I never actually thought of that! I might actually get one on the cycle to work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

What does a reg plate with white/silver font on a metal background signify ? Was behind an i30 estate with these kind of plates yesterday. Same year, county initials and number format but nothing else on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CIP4 wrote: »
    What does a reg plate with white/silver font on a metal background signify ? Was behind an i30 estate with these kind of plates yesterday. Same year, county initials and number format but nothing else on it.

They just made them up cause they think they're cool??

If it were the black/silver they'd still be illegal.

Army use to use up till around 2009 which hated it when they stopped really loved the look of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

They just made them up cause they think they're cool??

If it were the black/silver they'd still be illegal.

Army use to use up till around 2009 which hated it when they stopped really loved the look of them.

Hardly these were pressed metal plates with a Matt finish on a completely standard i30 I wouldn’t call them cool. I thought it might of been the army or something like that.

• Advertisement

Hardly these were pressed metal plates with a Matt finish on a completely standard i30 I wouldn’t call them cool. I thought it might of been the army or something like that.

Army use standard plates now with IRL logo and stars.

Previous was the black/silver you could have pre 1988 or was it 89 can't think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Looking to purchase a new trolley jack lads and recommendations to what ye have
    I typically go with halfords advanced gear quite like this one below
    https://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/trolley-jacks/halfords-advanced-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Anything to be wary of with the 1.6 diesel engine in later mk4 Mondeos? I know the 1.8 and 2 litres are pretty well proven but don't know much about the 1.6. Car in question is a 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Ridiculous having a 1.6 engine in a car that size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ridiculous having a 1.6 engine in a car that size
    Not as ridiculous as a 1.0 in an Octavia

• Advertisement

Slap 2 turbos in them or supercharged..... Powerrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Seen a few army Pajeros with those plates, so that's what I would assumed it was

Tazzimus wrote: »

Octavia is a much lighter car and has the same bhp as the Mondeo 1.6 diesel.

Octavia is a much lighter car and has the same bhp as the Mondeo 1.6 diesel.
    Still 1200+kg which is a fair amount for such a tiny engine, even with the turbo.
    Thing the Mondeo is around the 1400kg mark?

Old 1.4 engine was 75PS, this is 115PS.

Mondeo 1.6 is 1500kg, an Octavia is 275kg less or 80% the weight of a Mondeo

Old 1.4 engine was 75PS, this is 115PS.

Mondeo 1.6 is 1500kg, an Octavia is 275kg less or 80% the weight of a Mondeo
    Still prefer a bigger engine in cars that size, I'm not a fan of tiny engines hauling around big cars (even if the Octavia would be classed as somewhere in the middle) can't imagine the engine is having an easy time of it.
    Then again, I'm not a mechanic. Maybe they're perfectly reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm considering buying a brand new car, from a dealer located on the other side of the country, because of availability (I'll get it a couple of months early). Is that a really bad idea? With big brand dealerships (Kia) can you get them serviced in other Kia dealerships, or are there other benefits from shopping very local that would justify an extra few months wait?

Doesn’t matter which dealer you buy it from, warranty is covered by Kia, and servicing is business for a garage.

Tazzimus wrote: »

There were (are?) 1.0l Mondeos also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've had enough of this place with RIC and black and tan lovers. I'm moving to Japan to the new city Toyota is planning on building. *joke

https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/9722/Toyota-to-build-new-city-in-Japan

Mad so this is what Toyota has it's designers working on rather than designing and building their own cars with their own designed engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭selectamatic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I was joking.

Ah right I took it to be ya were just joking about the RIC bit

Probably been asked before but can’t find it; is there any of the petrol station brands that would tend to have an adblue pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of the brands sell adblue at the pump but not all their filling stations sell it. Go onto their websites and they might tell you which branch near you sells it. Other than that you might have to check locally. Normally the filling stations selling it at the pump will display the price of it per litre on their display sign same as diesel, unleaded, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd be mad, right? :p

https://carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/a8/fpa/201907029632971

It's very shiny though and I love the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd be mad, right? :p

https://carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/a8/fpa/201907029632971

It's very shiny though and I love the interior.

I'm not well up on A8s.....

But I would say - compare what any other A8s are going for.

See what are common issues on A8.

Consider what that car is worth to you.

Have a look at this one and compare to what you have now.

I wouldnt say "it's mad" necessarily - especially if you are prepared to accept that 100 k cars new still can have 100 k car bills now.

Old diesel wrote: »
    I'm not well up on A8s.....

But I would say - compare what any other A8s are going for.

See what are common issues on A8.

Consider what that car is worth to you.

Have a look at this one and compare to what you have now.

I wouldnt say "it's mad" necessarily - especially if you are prepared to accept that 100 k cars new still can have 100 k car bills now.

I currently have a 2010 A6 3.0 TDI Quattro with just about double the mileage that I figure will have to go in the next year or so anyway as although she's running fine now, insurance and annual NCT requirements will start making it progressively harder to keep.

(bear with me now while I talk myself out of it :p)

That A8 does seem to be the cheapest of that spec but it's only a year younger so will face the same challenges soon enough I suppose. Plus 15k is a lot of money for a 9 year old car when my own car is worth maybe 3/4k (per carzone valuation)

I think something like that may be my next change though as I can't find the same spec in the same budget as I'd have in my current A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The 3.0 TDi has a few popular issues, none of which are especially cheap. If you were buying it, you'd want to be buying it with a view to sorting those or at least being conscious that they could be coming around, especially now it has a bit of mileage on it. Coolant leaks from the coolant shut off valve in the V of the engine, oil leaks from the upper sump, timing chain rattles, all of which are fairly large repairs. Nice bus but you'd want to have €2k in reserve at any given time for it.

• Advertisement

The 3.0 TDi has a few popular issues, none of which are especially cheap. If you were buying it, you'd want to be buying it with a view to sorting those or at least being conscious that they could be coming around, especially now it has a bit of mileage on it. Coolant leaks from the coolant shut off valve in the V of the engine, oil leaks from the upper sump, timing chain rattles, all of which are fairly large repairs. Nice bus but you'd want to have €2k in reserve at any given time for it.

Would that not have the same engine as in my own, or is it a revised version?

My older 05 A6 with the 3.0 had the chain rattle and coolant leak alright but I thought they fixed the former with the face-lift and I've had no engine issues at all with mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement