Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They won't pass it if you just simply disconnect them.

You have to disconnect them, remove the button that operates them and also remove the actual lamp units also.

They will. I'm the one who connected them up to come on with the main lights a few years ago, before that the spots didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

They will. I'm the one who connected them up to come on with the main lights a few years ago, before that the spots didn't work.

Normally the rule of the NCT is if it's there / fitted then it must work as should

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Normally the rule of the NCT is if it's there / fitted then it must work as should

For front fogs it's always been different though, as long as they don't work you won't be failed on anything in relation to them.

Unless things have changed recently but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yep, I've never once seen them check fog lights during the test. You will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,693 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So my beloved A6 hits 10 years old in a few weeks time and will have 400,000km on the clock not long thereafter (394 on her now)

Neither of these are an issue as she still runs like a train and is well maintained by a forum regular :) It definitely helps though that she spends most of the time on motorways.

But.. Annual NCT from next December, the likelyhood of something big/expensive failing and insurance starting to get awkward means that I'll probably need to change at some point next year if I can find something within the allowable budget with the right balance of spec, mileage and history.

But here's the thing.. I have already been vaguely looking and it's even harder now to find something with the bigger engine and higher spec than it was when I bought this one.

The more I look, the more I wish I could just keep what I have for a few years yet but high miles and the other factors above make that unlikely.

Oh well, maybe I'll finally go for the Transporter look with an A8 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why are you driving around with fog lights on.... They're fog lights for fog.....

Why are you driving around with fog lights on.... They're fog lights for fog.....

I liked the look. It looked good with the blue parking lights(didn't install them were on car when I bought it) and fog lights on driving at night in places with street lights.

I liked the look. It looked good with the blue parking lights(didn't install them were on car when I bought it) and fog lights on driving at night in places with street lights.

Wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Exactly........WTF!

It's motors like you that'll kill us all just for the selfish cool factor!

Ban this guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol, are you liking your own post there? ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭jmreire

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So my beloved A6 hits 10 years old in a few weeks time and will have 400,000km on the clock not long thereafter (394 on her now)

Neither of these are an issue as she still runs like a train and is well maintained by a forum regular :) It definitely helps though that she spends most of the time on motorways.

But.. Annual NCT from next December, the likelyhood of something big/expensive failing and insurance starting to get awkward means that I'll probably need to change at some point next year if I can find something within the allowable budget with the right balance of spec, mileage and history.

But here's the thing.. I have already been vaguely looking and it's even harder now to find something with the bigger engine and higher spec than it was when I bought this one. The more I look, the more I wish I could just keep what I have for a few years yet but high miles and the other factors above make that unlikely.

Oh well, maybe I'll finally go for the Transporter look with an A8 :)

Drive on, get her to the NCT centre, and see how it goes....is she the 1.9 or 2.0 Ltr Diesel? Or Petrol? Biggest problem I ever had with my A6 ( 1.9 TDI ) was front suspension parts...there are just so many links that can wear out in the Audi's ( but they are what makes the steering feel so good), and the road's here don't help either. If Its a diesel, dose it with Dipthane a week or so before the test and have it good and hot before it is tested. If it fails, and it's beyond economic repair, then you will have to start looking in earnest for a replacement, but if it passes, then you can search at your leisure. So it would be worth the cost and hassle of the test.

Kaiser's is 3.0 TDi.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Kaiser's is 3.0 TDi.

Even better for the high mileage, I'd say..assuming that it was well and regularly service.

jmreire wrote: »
    Even better for the high mileage, I'd say..assuming that it was well and regularly service.

Yep, George and the guys have been looking after it (and several of it's predecessors) for years now :) I reckon there's easily another 100k km in her.

I just remember that once my previous A6 (a 2005 model but also 3.0 TDI, so it had the stupid tax rates on top) hit 10/11, insurers started to refuse quotes or wanted stupid money. Then there's the annual NCT and minor/trivial things being flagged in what appears to be random fashion - actually, can you still do that trick where you can get a 2 year NCT when a car hits 10?

There's nothing wrong with the car though and I still think that it's a great looking machine with almost all the toys. The idea of having to get rid of it because our current setup basically prices older, bigger cars off the road annoys me. :(

You need to pass the voluntary NCT outside of the 90 days before it's due date to get the 2 year cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

Its not about what you can see but its all about being seen. If you have just your fog light on you are not as visible as you would be on normal lights. The same with day led lights. Poeple think if they have those lights on they fine cse they can see everything with street lights but 99% of them have no idea that there is no light on on the back. You just can see black car driving at night without lights on.

Plus what you mean that car look good with just fog lights on ?? You are inside, you can't see your car from outside when driving so that argument is just stupid.

I've my lights on all the time while driving. Doesn't matter day or night because i prefer to be visible.

Fog lights are only to be used in fog and also in very heavy rain or snow.

White light side lights are fine but you did state they're blue so that another big NO....

You need to pass the voluntary NCT outside of the 90 days before it's due date to get the 2 year cert.

OK, so it's due mid December 2020. If I do it say in August then, I'll get the 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes. As long as it actually passes 90 days before, and car is under 10 years at the time.

This is the blue lights with fog lights just to clear up any confusion.

498156.jpg
    498155.jpg
    498154.jpg

• Advertisement

I immediately assume the driver is a gob****e when I see stuff like that on the road. That’s just my opinion of course and I’m sure some lads think that’s mad cool.

Class car otherwise.

This is the blue lights with fog lights just to clear up any confusion.

498156.jpg
    498155.jpg
    498154.jpg

Illegal...

Impersonating a Garda vehicle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Impersonating a Garda vehicle :)

I passed a taxi on the motorway last night that had a string of blue led's fairy lights wrapped around his roof sign. He had extra reflective stickers on the back too. Was sure he was a cop car from the distance.

Those blue parking lights aren't great but still no where near as bad as the clowns who put the pink ones in their fogs. WTF is that about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ryath wrote: »
    I passed a taxi on the motorway last night that had a string of blue led's fairy lights wrapped around his roof sign. He had extra reflective stickers on the back too. Was sure he was a cop car from the distance.

Those blue parking lights aren't great but still no where near as bad as the clowns who put the pink ones in their fogs. WTF is that about.

I bought a car a few years ago that had pink hids and you wouldn't see a thing with them. I don't know how he thought they were a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ryath wrote: »

Does she boo lad?

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I bought a car a few years ago that had pink hids and you wouldn't see a thing with them. I don't know how he thought they were a good idea

It’s basically the mating call of ball bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s basically the mating call of ball bags.

They should all be stopped from reproducing

Yes, mine will be 10 years old in April 2020, so I plan on booking it in as early as I possibly can, mid January , if that falls within the 90 day deadline.Will give me a chance to rectify any faults that the NCT will reveal. And still get it passed before the 10 year deadline.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep, George and the guys have been looking after it (and several of it's predecessors) for years now :) I reckon there's easily another 100k km in her.

I just remember that once my previous A6 (a 2005 model but also 3.0 TDI, so it had the stupid tax rates on top) hit 10/11, insurers started to refuse quotes or wanted stupid money. Then there's the annual NCT and minor/trivial things being flagged in what appears to be random fashion - actually, can you still do that trick where you can get a 2 year NCT when a car hits 10?

There's nothing wrong with the car though and I still think that it's a great looking machine with almost all the toys. The idea of having to get rid of it because our current setup basically prices older, bigger cars off the road annoys me. :(

I agree with you 100% ..this Country is the only one as far as I can see where we are forced into getting rid of car's prematurely.....and I'm not at all convinced about the carbon argument...even the new EV's have a heavy carbon footprint during manufacture.....so how worse can a well serviced and running existing car, than an EV? but no, you will be funnelled into purchasing a new ( or at least newer) model, with only the banks, govt and main dealer's really benefitting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement