Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Wailin wrote: »
    That's the B47 engine cip, not N47. No timing chain issues with that particular engine and seems pretty reliable.

When did they change to that engine or did all F30s have it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

2015. It's 190bhp and 400Nm.

Wailin wrote: »
    2015. It's 190bhp and 400Nm.

Thanks for that I seen a few that are 180bhp and 380Nm so assuming that’s the last of the old N47 engine so would that be an issue then like did they ever fix the N47 engine flaws towards the end of life or were they all troublesome ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So, like, I mean, are you, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If its for yourself get a 6 cylinder diesel. Cos that will be the very next thing you'll want if you go for the 4 cylinder now.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So, like, I mean, are you, you know?

Ah no not really :pac:

As bad as I am I think changing it after 4 months would be excessive to say the least. Was just curious about the F30 engine set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

CIP4 wrote: »
    Thanks for that I seen a few that are 180bhp and 380Nm so assuming that’s the last of the old N47 engine so would that be an issue then like did they ever fix the N47 engine flaws towards the end of life or were they all troublesome ?

The timing chain issue was 2008-2011. A revision was made to the engine in 2011 which reduced incidences but they still occured. Personally I've had two 5 series with the N47 and I never had one issue. Luck of the draw really.

The 320d is a fine car and 0-60 is 7.3 sec, not slow by any means. Moving to the 330d has it's negatives too. More nose heavy, it's a big lump if an engine, and economy suffers, but still far better than your GTi (around 38mpg or slightly better). It has that 6 cylinder smoothness though, very refined and tons of torque.

Drive the 320d and see how it feels for you. You could instantly love it or it could do nothing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think if CIP4 finds the Golf interior quality somehow lacking over his previous A4 then I cannot see him liking the F30 interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

180BHP and 380NM sounds like plenty of power for a mid sized diesel saloon. Was your blue one a 330d also ?

Yeah, 330d. It's much nicer even in day to day driving and the economy difference is fairly minimal. Her 520d is doing less than the 330d.

Added benefit is the chain is less likely to be an issue on the 6 cylinder.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think if CIP4 finds the Golf interior quality somehow lacking over his previous A4 then I cannot see him liking the F30 interior.

Admittedly it’s been a few years since I was in an F30 but back then I thought the interior was fairly decent I like the centre display set up.

• Advertisement

I can see where you're coming from CIP4.... A GTi is essentially and of course obviously a top spec Golf. No surprise it's not quite ticking all the boxes for you.

Augeo wrote: »
    I can see where you're coming from CIP4.... A GTi is essentially and of course obviously a top spec Golf. No surprise it's not quite ticking all the boxes for you.

Tbh the main thing I dislike on the Golf is the Auto gearbox. I never owned an auto car before and I just find it far less engaging. I have always enjoyed Manuals. Even last night was driving the Leon and it just reminded me I miss the manual gearbox. I know you can use the paddles and all that but it’s just not the same at all.

I know that’s quite unusual as most people that go Auto never go back and wonder how they ever survived without one. If I spent my days sitting in Dublin traffic I am sure I would have a different view on it.

The gti I had for a weekend was manual.....i really don't think it'd rock your boat either. .... It's still a you know what.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I never understood how or why it was decided that we would do it differently in Europe

I think it comes down to what is sometimes referred to as the MPG illusion.
    Which one of these has the best increase in fuel efficiency?

A) 10.3 mpg car vs 11.3 mpg
    B) 17.1 mpg car vs 20.2 mpg
    C) 35.3 mpg car vs 51.4 mpg

It's a trick question, over 10,000 miles they all save about 88 gallons.

Whereas expressing them as l/100km comes up as

A) 27.5 l/100km vs 25 l/100km
    B) 16.5 l/100km vs 14 l/100km
    C) 8 l/100km vs 5.5 l/100km

Making it clear that each choice saves around 2.5l per 100km.
    They wanted consumers to think about the fuel they would save when comparing two cars instead of the distance they could go using that fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Ah no not really :pac:

As bad as I am I think changing it after 4 months would be excessive to say the least. Was just curious about the F30 engine set up.

We have a 420d back in Ireland currently sitting up not being driven. If you interested I'll swap the you the GTI. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Tbh the main thing I dislike on the Golf is the Auto gearbox. I never owned an auto car before and I just find it far less engaging. I have always enjoyed Manuals. Even last night was driving the Leon and it just reminded me I miss the manual gearbox. I know you can use the paddles and all that but it’s just not the same at all.

I know that’s quite unusual as most people that go Auto never go back and wonder how they ever survived without one. If I spent my days sitting in Dublin traffic I am sure I would have a different view on it.

100%. I can kinda see why people like golfs as a good all rounder but the auto box craic would put me off one. Auto for me you would have to be talking minimum something like a 530d or and A6 3.0 tdi diesel cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

See the report into the criminal organisations that we are legally obliged to pay money to is nearly out. Be interesting to see does anyone do time or will we all get free insurance for a few years. Ha... Knowing this country the fat fuchs in suits will laugh it off and look after each other. Charitable donations to the rsa and early retirement with pension. Finish their glittering careers on the board of the rsa, SIMI,Irish water and topaz for the 2 for 1 heist jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone recommendations for a good quality engine paint ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Any of the high temperature paints you can get in a motor factors I'd imagine PP. Back in the day with mates of mine customising or building race cars that's what they used anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Had my first experience of paintless dent removal today........why isn't this more common.

I'm slowly doing a running resto on my Renault 19 and want to avoid a full respray so I decided to see how much I could save of the original paint. Turns out pretty much all of it. I've now got a dent free car, some of which I thought would be impossible to sort this way.

The roof and bonnet will have to be resprayed but that's pretty much it. Result. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

How much per panel ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    How much per panel ?
    About €80.

No experience of these things but there were several dents some of which I was skeptical could be sorted. Turns out I was wrong.

I had it done on three cars, the first fella I got to do a bmw he went to drill a hole inside the door and the door jam to get a tool in but I wasnt having holes drilled in the car. Another fella done without any drilling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It depends where the dent is and the type of car.

Any time I've seen holes drilled, they are usually in discreet areas and finished with touch up paint and a snug grommet.

Not ideal but a fair compromise to avoid a panel full of filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Rant incoming..So long story long was quoted 1k euros of work on my car by a main dealer as it was in for a gearbox oil change as its not a empty and refil job and asked them to give it a once over as i just picked it up a week prior . work required two wishbones, two CV boots, rear shock..plus labour ..thought it was fishy as it just came from a main dealer with fsh. so subsequently booked the car in for an early nct for a second opinion (55 euro well spent) and all that is wrong with it from the NCT test was the two CV boots needing replacement because they were cut/freyed, possibly not a million miles to think it was cut by them..the dodgy dealers.

Not going to name and shame but might leave a review on their google page or should I just put it down as a lucky escape.

Any time I've seen holes drilled, they are usually in discreet areas and finished with touch up paint and a snug grommet.

Only one panel may have required that, I'll check tomorrow but I doubt it did. Luckily I've a spare in the shed if I ever need it!

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Rant incoming..So long story long was quoted 1k euros of work on my car by a main dealer as it was in for a gearbox oil change as its not a empty and refil job and asked them to give it a once over as i just picked it up a week prior . work required two wishbones, two CV boots, rear shock..plus labour ..thought it was fishy as it just came from a main dealer with fsh. so subsequently booked the car in for an early nct for a second opinion (55 euro well spent) and all that is wrong with it from the NCT test was the two CV boots needing replacement because they were cut/freyed, possibly not a million miles to think it was cut by them..the dodgy dealers.

Not going to name and shame but might leave a review on their google page or should I just put it down as a lucky escape.
    Hmmmmm, firstly the main dealer may be working by manufacturer tolerances which may require work sooner or the independent was talking ****e.........or vice versa. It's difficult to tell, either or both could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

It was the NCT test but yeah I suppose it could have 25% life left and still pass.

I completely get that but it would just annoy me knowing that they were there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

JJJJNR wrote: »

The NCT is a minimum safety standard inspection. A dealer will be pointing out things that are legitimately worn, but the NCT wint fail you until they are critical.

Are you suggesting the dealer cut your CV boots :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement