Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Are you suggesting the dealer cut your CV boots :confused:

I might be lucky in my experience of main dealers and being fair independents but this has never been an issue.

As you say, the NCT is a minimum standard, dealers may have a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I hated those customers that came out with ''sure it passed the nct". Remember a woman dropped a car in for a service, found a few problems and one was a cracked coil spring. Explained to the woman, she was having none of it cause it passed the test and we were only trying to rip her off. A few days later the aa tow it in with a broken coil spring

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I hated those customers that came out with ''sure it passed the nct".

I remember a colleague asked me to do a check of her car prior to it's NCT. I pointed out the tyres were beyond dangerous as they were thread bear. She told me they passed the NCT last time........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Cop on there's no way a car passed an NCT with a cracked spring.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Cop on there's no way a car passed an NCT with a cracked spring.

Never said the spring was cracked when it went through the test but it was cracked when I working on it 3 weeks later

• Advertisement

Well she's an idiot then, but looking at the fail sheet again with regards to the front axle and it's no where near the failing limits.

Well she's an idiot then, but looking at the fail sheet again with regards to the front axle and it's no where near the failing limits.

AS said, manufacturer tolerences could be a lot stricter. I've seen cars with failed shocks on both sides pass NCT with perfect results.

Ok no panic and appreciate it l just didn't want to get ripped off, coming from a DIY background where I fixed mostly everything myself when it broke, for the best part of 10 years, I probably have a bit of a readjustment to do. Im more than happy to put the trust in the dealer based on the different tolerences a dealer would put on parts to keep it in top condition, apologies for the rant.

apologies for the rant.

No need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Trying to book nct there as want to go early and the closet cork centres have no dates til January must be very busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

ofcork wrote: »
    Trying to book nct there as want to go early and the closet cork centres have no dates til January must be very busy.

Wouldn't be using any Cork centres but what I've done in the past is log on to the NCT website circa 23.30 - 0.00 at night and finding appointment times in the near future that have been freed up due to cancellations and they seem to appear update the system at that time. Might be worth a try.

jprboy wrote: »
    Wouldn't be using any Cork centres but what I've done in the past is log on to the NCT website circa 23.30 - 0.00 at night and finding appointment times in the near future that have been freed up due to cancellations and they seem to appear up the system at that time. Might be worth a try.

I do it between 8 and 9 in the morning, normally get a test date within the week

TVR in for some work a while ago at a mates garage while I was there, some machine, epic sound track.

The nct criteria is the imbalance between shock absorbers on the same axle. That & a visual that there's no leaking shock etc.
    It's not a challenge to pass.

The main dealers test/inspection on shock absorbers wear would be very subjective I reckon..... Could even be age/mileage based advice but not in your case as they have reckoned it's just one shock worn.....but they should of course be replaced in pairs.

Wishbones are again subjective. NCT will fail on excessive play on a lever test.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Augeo wrote: »
    The nct criteria is the imbalance between shock absorbers on the same axle. That & a visual that there's no leaking shock etc.
    It's not a challenge to pass.

The main dealers test/inspection on shock absorbers wear would be very subjective I reckon..... Could even be age/mileage based advice but not in your case as they have reckoned it's just one shock worn.....but they should of course be replaced in pairs.

Wishbones are again subjective. NCT will fail on excessive play on a lever test.....

Reminds me of the time I was getting tires fitted and your man tells me I need 2 new shocks.
    This after I fitting new shocks myself 2 weeks prior.
    He tried to justify his statement by saying they look bad because they were dirty.
    I said "go way out of it ya clown".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Lads if a Gardai made the comment ‘If I had a speed gun to confirm the speed you were doing you would be put off the road’

Can anyone make sense of that is it not still just a fine and 3 points for speeding these days or can they do you for something else that would be a straight disqualification. In terms of the speed it would of been doing ~50kmh in a 30kmh zone but outside of town not in a particularly built up area I am fairly sure it was 50kmh up-to recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

CIP4 wrote: »
    Lads if a Gardai made the comment ‘If I had a speed gun to confirm the speed you were doing you would be put off the road’

Can anyone make sense of that is it not still just a fine and 3 points for speeding these days or can they do you for something else that would be a straight disqualification. In terms of the speed it would of been doing ~50kmh in a 30kmh zone but outside of town not in a particularly built up area I am fairly sure it was 50kmh up-to recently.

Not for 50 in a 30 zone! If you were drunk, doing 120 on a speedgun with no paperwork on the window then maybe.

He might think you were doing 60 plus..... Double the 30kph. Still off the road talk is OTT but a young lad in a fresh GTi can attract some trash talk from AGS no doubt.

Nothing to worry about.... You wont get a fine or anything :)

Interslice wrote: »
    Not for 50 in a 30 zone! If you were drunk, doing 120 on a speedgun with no paperwork on the window then maybe.

Yes that’s what I figured everything else was in order they checked it very carefully if they could have found anything they would. Got drugs tested and breathalysed. It was 3am in the morning. I had the car in sports mode so it was loud enough going up-to them. I was dropping people home. So they just thought loud nice = flying it and acting the clown. The minute they seen the car and my age it was just like oh let’s go.

Anyway could of been worse I suppose.

Augeo wrote: »
    He might think you were doing 60 plus..... Double the 30kph. Still off the road talk is OTT but a young lad in a fresh GTi can attract some trash talk from AGS no doubt.

Nothing to worry about.... You wont get a fine or anything :)

Oh yes that’s it. There was two of them. Probably didn’t help when I let down the window they immediately seen a stamp for a nightclub on my hand. I was 20 minutes pulled in nearly killed them to let me go without doing me for something.

But like even if I was doing 60 in a 30 which admittedly is quite excessive and they had it on the speed gun they surely couldn’t be like your disqualified from driving what would be the procedure there they would summons you to court or is it still 3 points and a fine. Anywhere you read it’s 3 points and a fine but then is it like a separate dangerous driving they would try do you for ?

Where they were actually parked and I stopped was in a 50kmh zone a couple of 100 metres up the road was the 30 zone so don’t think they would ever put a speed gun on that road anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

In you still had the A4 he would have waved you by and asked if you'd seen any gougers in your travels ? :D

tossy wrote: »
    In you still had the A4 he would have waved you by and asked if you'd seen any gougers in your travels ? :D

But that’s the sad part of it if I had been in a car that wasn’t loud like a standard petrol / diesel I think they would of waved me through. Even though they didn’t say it, it was definitely the noise they were basing everything on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

But that’s the sad part of it if I had been in a car that wasn’t loud like a standard petrol / diesel I think they would of waved me through. Even though they didn’t say it, it was definitely the noise they were basing everything on.

I'd say your age was against you more than noise. Anyway you were all above aboard and got no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I used to regularly get stopped in the integra for no reason other than young lad in a nice car, comes with having something not normal and boring.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I used to regularly get stopped in the integra for no reason other than young lad in a nice car, comes with having something not normal and boring.

Likewise but won't lie, a few times it was my own fault

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CIP4 - a white Golf driving @ 3.am on a Sunday morning full of young lads fits the perfect profile and reason for the AGS to pull you over. Unfortunately its too common young lads in tarted up Golfs, Passats or A4s, etc acting the maggot to impress their mates or birds at that time of the morning, that tarnish everyone else.

As you said, you weren't doing anything wrong, you just fitted the profile. Forget about it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    CIP4 - a white Golf driving @ 3.am on a Sunday morning full of young lads fits the perfect profile and reason for the AGS to pull you over. Unfortunately its too common young lads in tarted up Golfs, Passats or A4s, etc acting the maggot to impress their mates or birds at that time of the morning, that tarnish everyone else.

As you said, you weren't doing anything wrong, you just fitted the profile. Forget about it and move on.

It also fits the travelling gangs profile too. They love their hot hatches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I don't because I'm old. :mad::D I never did even when I was younger. My own dad was pulled way more times when he drove my cars. I must look innocent/dopey/harmless.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Very unlikely to be disqualified solely for doing 50@30. However, in this country cops don't have to have a leg to stand on in terms of accusing you of doing something wrong - if there's a court involved it's your word against theirs, AFAIK.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Wibbs wrote: »
    [...] I must look innocent/dopey/harmless.

Oh yeah, sure. ;)

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement