Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

joujoujou wrote: »
    Very unlikely to be disqualified solely for doing 50@30. However, in this country cops don't have to have a leg to stand on in terms of accusing you of doing something wrong - if there's a court involved it's your word against theirs, AFAIK.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone. :)

Yes they came on very strong initially said what I was doing was dangerous. Then when I passed drug test, Alcohol test, everything on car was in order and the fact I have never had points etc. They were a little easier and I just got the don’t speed, don’t act the clown in the car and that if they had, had a speed gun on me I’d be off the road.

I suppose they are ultimately only doing their jobs. The stand out thing for me was at one stage they cursed at me and I didn’t appreciate that at all absolutely no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The moral of the story is; if you're going to a nightclub forget about this not drinking craic.

Leave the car at home.

Viva La Sesh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't because I'm old. :mad::D I never did even when I was younger. My own dad was pulled way more times when he drove my cars. I must look innocent/dopey/harmless.

I'm hoping that'll be the case when I get it back on the road.
    Besides, little chavvy lads are in their boo machines now, prob wouldn't look twice at a DC2.
    Although the exhaust might draw some looks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Went to do the pads and discs on the car today and low and behold the pads were not the right ones. It even says on the label that there for my car but are defiantly the wrong size. Can only assume someone in the Mintex factory ****ed up and packed the wrong ones into the box or wrong label.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I did the front caliper carriers on the Mazda today.
    Front left one had seized slider pins and the one I got as a replacement had one seized as well. Much swearing and hitting with a hammer later and it was free and left carrier sorted.
    Moved to the right one to put in the new pads and discovered it had a seized pin as well... Luckily I managed to free up the two pins from the old left carrier and used that.

As a result I can now do a set of pads in about 5 minutes and have full feeling in the brake pedal again.

Now to see what else the NCT will find to fail it on this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume you can reschedule a booking on the NCT site without having to ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Had my first experience of paintless dent removal today........why isn't this more common.

I'm slowly doing a running resto on my Renault 19 and want to avoid a full respray so I decided to see how much I could save of the original paint. Turns out pretty much all of it. I've now got a dent free car, some of which I thought would be impossible to sort this way.

The roof and bonnet will have to be resprayed but that's pretty much it. Result. :cool:
    About €80.

No experience of these things but there were several dents some of which I was skeptical could be sorted. Turns out I was wrong.

Where did you get it done? PM if you'd rather not say on the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ofcork wrote: »
    I assume you can reschedule a booking on the NCT site without having to ring them?
    Yes once you are within the timeframe to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Where did you get it done? PM if you'd rather not say on the forum!

A guy called Pietro did it. He moves around but I had it done in Nenagh. Not sure where else he works. I'll PM you the number if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

A guy called Pietro did it. He moves around but I had it done in Nenagh. Not sure where else he works. I'll PM you the number if you want it.

I'm based in Dublin so was looking for somebody close by, thanks though!

• Advertisement

Can't get my main account to log in even though im entering password and username properly aswell as the send to email function not working, any mods able to help me ?

I find this sometimes with the cloudflare issues. Must be the mental repetition that goes on here sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

ELM327 wrote: »
    I find this sometimes with the cloudflare issues. Must be the mental repetition that goes on here sometimes.

7 Year's later.....:confused::eek::p

Truckermal wrote: »
    7 Year's later.....:confused::eek::p
    I dont know what happened there, I was reading that thread and quoted something here but it crossed over. Or I crossed over mentally ... I blame the 3pm slump :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Is motortax.ie not working , I have been trying to pay tax on it for last two days and it comes up with

You cannot use this service from there null Please contact the merchant.

Anyone else see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Is motortax.ie not working , I have been trying to pay tax on it for last two days and it comes up with

You cannot use this service from there null Please contact the merchant.

Anyone else see this?

Worked for me yesterday, are you trying it in work or at home ?

tossy wrote: »
    Worked for me yesterday, are you trying it in work or at home ?

At home , tried different computers, same error message, it pops after "pressing continue to payment"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Could be an issue with broadband, try on a phone off the network.

Are you using Chrome?

Try Firefox

Could be an issue with broadband, try on a phone off the network.

Are you using Chrome?

Try Firefox

Ya i has using "brave"(which is a chrome fork i believe) on both computers linux and windows, it worked when when i used firefox. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I hate the devil that is chrome......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Time to pop in for a bit!

Windows 7 and the last minute panic to upgrade to win 10 has me kept flat out. Trying to explain to users that their ancient hardware will not accept win 10 is another disaster. And there's no end to it for the foreseeable future...

I sold the Avensis and it went to a young lad who wanted a sturdy workhorse. It's only down the road from me in Ballivor and I've seen it driving once or twice :D

I haven't much planned, things have been very busy. Maybe in a few months things will quiet down and I can get back to sorting some of the scrap I have :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Is there any consensus as to which is the best car history check website?

I used cartell before but when I was talking to a dealer about trading it in about a year later they could see more stuff that hadn't come up when I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Motorcheck 100%. Their €15 check is excellent for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was going through old files today and found a lot of receipts paperwork for previous cars I bought was adding up how much I had lost on them never actually did it before. The first 5 up to the first A4 I had I actually lost next to nothing on as I made money on two of them. The story on the Leon and B9 are not so good lost a lot on both of them. The golf will be far worse again I am sure when it’s time comes.

If I was to draw any conclusions from it I’d say buying cars around 10k and less the vast majority of the time you will fair out fairly ok on them depreciation wise once you get into the 20k-30k range depreciation hits hard especially if you don’t keep the car long. I know it’s fairly obvious stuff just something I never really thought about before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If your not losing money on cars then you ain't doing it right

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Love this lady's reviews of cars:

No trade mark driving gloves in this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think she fancy's me. I was only watching for less than a minute and she said to me lets get it on, shall we.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Chilly enough this morning

662-F98-C8-BEF3-4-B45-ABE1-6-F3782-A0-F01-A.jpg

Have the car 4 months now. I’d say I’m used to it at this stage. Nothings fallen off yet. Overall I’m very happy with it, have a few mods in the pipeline to keep it interesting. Have an OBDEleven ordered for it too, so that should be fun to mess about with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nothings fallen off yet.
    In fairness C it's an Octavia. The only way to be sure of killing one is to stab it through the engine block with a wooden stake and lashings of holy water. Bury it in consecrated ground to be sure. Even then... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bazz26 wrote: »
    Love this lady's reviews of cars:
    Nicely done vid alright. Interesting accent, sounds like she spent time in Australia/New Zealand?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wibbs wrote: »
    In fairness C it's an Octavia. The only way to be sure of killing one is to stab it through the engine block with a wooden stake and lashings of holy water. Bury it in consecrated ground to be sure. Even then... :D

After the Honda and how lucky I was with that, I am still skeptical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement