Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Best of luck with it CIP the white suits it perfect.

bazz26 wrote: »
    A Micra or any similar sized car is not designed for doing mega mileage in. It doesn't have the space or comfort to be spending that much time in it. Also 9% interest on HP is not a great deal.

It wasn't really a great deal at all. Not trying to be funny, so don't take it the wrong way, but that was kinda the point of my post, about realising during the process that it wasn't a great situation at all, but also finding it mad that the car was being thrown at me.

Still think it's a nice looking car, all the same.

Oh god....

Seriously you need diesel or electric or hybrid...

A Micra isn't going to suit your driving needs

Electric would be completely useless to me. I'd never really consider a diesel again, and I'm afraid to buy anything this side of the budget, anyway, to be honest.

Hybrid interests me, but I'm lead to believe the fuel savings are massively exaggerated (never really did my homework on that, though).
    Kkv look up Renault... Doing great deals or even Dacia may I say...

Your mileage needs a good decent mile muncher and going bangers.... Isn't an option and please don't get attached just think of it as a box..

I'm lead to believe that Renault are face-lifting their Clio, Captur and Kadjar for 2020 (and price-lifting them, too). Might keep an eye on the older ones that now may suffer some depreciation as a result of the facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Sure if you're looking at finance then you may as well ask your bank for a car loan

Or a credit Union be better for rates etc.

Then go off and get yourself a decent modern car from a reputable dealer/company.

15K from a credit Union or bank would do you well to buy a modern second hand superb diesel auto or something not a pile of shi/t as a Micra.

Also I heard from a reliable source that if you drive a Micra, you lose the ability to drive correctly and the devil takes your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'm lead to believe that Renault are face-lifting their Clio, Captur and Kadjar for 2020 (and price-lifting them, too). Might keep an eye on the older ones that now may suffer some depreciation as a result of the facelift.

I'd strongly suggest you get a Megane 3 or Fluence. Loads to choose from and good condition low mileage ones can be gotten easily. I've just sold my wife's 2010 Megane with 110k kms, fsh from new and in good running order for 2750.

It's a bargain for the new owner and if looked after there's loads of trouble free driving to come.

If you want a frugal mile munched that's a doddle to maintain I'd highly recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd suggest something 3 years old rather than a new micra. Similar repayments but a much nicer place to be.
    Even the Ioniq I had last year (I had the EV but they come in normal hybrid) would be a much better more comfortable place to do the miles in (i know, I put nearly 50k km on it in ~10months!).

Don't do it to yourself, man. What you need is comfort and space, a micra has neither.

For the same 20k you were going to spend on a micra you could get this, relatively new looking A8.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8-se-quattro/21742040

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-audi-a8-3-0l-quattro-executive-fully-loaded/21919903

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Alternatively, they did offer something about 0% apr on a PCP scheme. However, i immediately blanked out the mention of PCP as I'd rather straight financing and not be getting tangled up in future values and buyouts of a car that I am gonna be running into the ground.

This doesn't make sense. You seem to be in the mind of keeping the car therefore mileage/future values mean nothing.

Do a spreadsheet. If the cost of the deposit + PCP payments + final buyout figure (even if financed) at the end are less than HP the way to buy the car is via PCP. At 0% it should work out a significant saving. Boggles why someone would knowingly spend more for the same end result if the intention is keeping the car long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone ever dealt with Smith auto development in Sallynoggin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Anyone ever dealt with Smith auto development in Sallynoggin?

Dealt with them in a business sense, good lads

..........Definitely a car bubble gonna pop sometime soon.................

Well with PCP there's a bit of deposit and the payments so that after 3 years almost 60% of the thing has been PAID. They will happily take the car back off you then.

With finance the car is generally security of the loan. Car financed over 5 years.........basically.......... the value of the vehicle is almost always worth a fair % more then what's owed on it.

But bubble might exist, the bubble might pop but the impact, risk etc to the general public is very close to nil/zero IMO :)

..........I was informed that finance would be charged at 9% interest, and you can't avoid the interest. It's built in from the word go. ..............

But you can't avoid the interest, so no matter how you spin it, your 16,500 car will cost you 21,000 over five years. So despite the 3k scrappage, you're still paying notably more than the retail price. I found it bewildering..............

Alternatively, they did offer something about 0% apr on a PCP scheme. However, i immediately blanked out the mention of PCP ....................

PCP wouldn't be bad option for you.
    Pay 55% + of the cost over first 3 years, keep it at the end of the term by paying the balloon.
    I'd not think a Micra is at all suitable though........ needs to be Focus/Golf sized at least if you are high mileage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

@KKV a new base spec diesel Golf/Leon/Focus probably would be a whole lot more VW finance would be a lot less than 9% and the car would be better set up for the mileage.

Or else I would second the idea of getting a mk3 Megane / fluence 1.5dci great car for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Look a a Golf van if you’re still self employed. Be aware of higher tolls if that’s a regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Gentlemen, does anyone have an recommendations for a petrol car with a bit of poke for around 15k? Have a 65km daily commute with 50% motorway and 50% Regional roads. Don't really need space, have had a few hot hatches gti, st etc and kind of want a change from bmw. Been searching for a while there's nothing jumping out at me

Usual limitations to owning something fast and petrol are tax and age. What’s your cut off point?

Something like a mini JCW perhaps?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Usual limitations to owning something fast and petrol are tax and age. What’s your cut off point?

Something like a mini JCW perhaps?

Wouldn't mind keeping the tax around the 750 mark and preferably no more than 10 or 11 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind keeping the tax around the 750 mark and preferably no more than 10 or 11 years old

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-3-5-v6-450h-hybrid-executive-sport/22401910

This is quite cheap and looks well!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheap tax too - €750. The hybrid didn't meet the requirements for a taxi either so at least that's something.

Truckermal wrote: »

Was looking at the gt86 but never thought of lexus. I do like that though

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cheap tax too - €750. The hybrid didn't meet the requirements for a taxi either so at least that's something.

I think there’s a loophole for hybrids? I certainly know of one that was registered as a limo.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

I'd definitely recommend the gs450h above. Great fun and cheap to maintain and reliable. That model was actually nicer and more fun than the newer one.
    They are quick for something that weighs 1900kg and the acceleration from 60km onwards will have you smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think there’s a loophole for hybrids? I certainly know of one that was registered as a limo.

I remember someone here before mentioning that the GS450h didn't meet the requirements due to the smaller boot dimensions. I think it was iamvolvoboy who is/was a taxi driver.

• Advertisement

pinktoe wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend the gs450h above. Great fun and cheap to maintain and reliable. That model was actually nicer and more fun than the newer one.
    They are quick for something that weighs 1900kg and the acceleration from 60km onwards will have you smiling.

Ya the newer one isn't as powerful!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Ya the newer one isn't as powerful!

True eventough they've the same engine.
    The newer one has a worse interior and was less comfortable imo.

Waterpumps go after 100k but they are cheap and quick to replace.

I had the gen3 for 4 years of happy driving the gen4 lasted less than 2 years

Just checking tyre pressures as I normally would every so often first time checking them since getting collecting the car. Rear was 38/39 and front 37psi. I thought they were a bit high I would of normally went around 35psi in previous cars. It’s my first car with 19s so would people normally go higher pressure on bigger alloys. Must check the book to see what it recommends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

CIP4 wrote: »
    Just checking tyre pressures as I normally would every so often first time checking them since getting collecting the car. Rear was 38/39 and front 37psi. I thought they were a bit high I would of normally went around 35psi in previous cars. It’s my first car with 19s so would people normally go higher pressure on bigger alloys. Must check the book to see what it recommends.

Hi cip- usually written on a sticker inside drivers door for the golf gti. I have an R on 19s and I think off hand they run at 36 PSI

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Hi cip- usually written on a sticker inside drivers door for the golf gti. I have an R on 19s and I think off hand they run at 36 PSI

Yes I must check it in the morning.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes I must check it in the morning.

39 sounds too much I'd keep them round 36...

Bad start I'd trade it in..:pac:

Well wear I love it.

39 sounds too much I'd keep them round 36...

Bad start I'd trade it in..:pac:

Well wear I love it.

Said 41psi on sticker that seems really high just put 37psi in them all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Is that not with a full load only? Four passengers and luggage in the boot? Sounds very high to me.

Wailin wrote: »
    Is that not with a full load only? Four passengers and luggage in the boot? Sounds very high to me.

No even the low load 2 passengers is 41psi as well same for low and high load which I thought was unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wailin wrote: »

My car has the same thing. Really weirdly high psi number for non loaded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement