Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mine arrived today after ordering on Sunday on Three's website.. picked up Lycamobile sim free and unlike Three store, no additional credit required. Total cost was €139.99 for 3/32GB model with a 64GB MicroSD en-route from Amazon for £8. Not too shabby at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Basq wrote: »
    Mine arrived today after ordering on Sunday on Three's website.. picked up Lycamobile sim free and unlike Three store, no additional credit required. Total cost was €139.99 for 3/32GB model with a 64GB MicroSD en-route from Amazon for £8. Not too shabby at all!

thats good, good way of doing it.

- I am pleased with the stock camera app on this phone , but when you playing around with the phone give Open Camera and Bacon Camera a go from the play store - combined with the good hardware you can get great results.

and i like MySMS as the standard SMS client instead of the stock app (can sync your sms with a mysms chrome extension as well to view/send SMS from your laptop) and I like true phone dialler and contacts from the play store rather than the built in dialer app.

then front and back flash from the play store can turn the front flash of the redmi note 5 into a notification flash for missed calls and messages which is quite nifty

Here's a few little extra hidden things: (try at your own risk you should be ok if you don't change any parameters)

Go into 'about phone' in the settings.

Click on 'android version' a few times you will get the cookie

Click on the 'miui version' a few times you will get developer mode enable

Click on 'cpu' 3 times you will get "report a bug"

Click on 'internal storage' a few times and you will go into phone info/testing

Click on 'kernel version' 3 times and you will get into hardware testing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Hope somebody can help me having a problem with my phone was away in the UK for a few days phone worked fine over there.

Problem I have now is when I came home this evening I can't ring anyone as it still thinks I'm in the UK and adds +44 to any number in the phone using simpler dialer on the phone.
    Have tried powering it off rebooting it set it to airplane mode nothing seems to work.

Anyone able to help me out would be great
    Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭corkie

crasy dash wrote: »
    Hope somebody can help me having a problem with my phone was away in the UK for a few days phone worked fine over there.

Problem I have now is when I came home this evening I can't ring anyone as it still thinks I'm in the UK and adds +44 to any number in the phone using simpler dialer on the phone.
    Have tried powering it off rebooting it set it to airplane mode nothing seems to work.

Anyone able to help me out would be great
    Thanks lads

At a guess try turning off roaming and check your APN settings for your network. They may have been replaced with the English network you where roaming on.

Redmi Note 5, Mi 6X, Redmi S2 & Redmi 6 Pro are getting Pie (Internal Beta)
    ^^^ Chinese thread, use google translate to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

For anyone suddenly getting notifications from a system app called "Game" after the last update. It can't be uninstalled through the Installed Apps option in settings as it is Xiaomi bloatware.
    However, it is quite easily removable using abd and the USB drivers - took all of 5 minutes. This does not need root nor does it root your device.

This guide is very helpful.

https://en.miui.com/thread-4792259-1-1.html

If, like mine, when you connect the Note 5 to the PC and it doesn't offer you file transfer mode you need to enable it as follows:

Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Mode > USB Debugging. Enable that.

If you have no Developer Settings, go to
    Settings > ABout Phone. Tap the MIUI version 7 or 8 times.
    It should then congratulate you that you are now a Develolper xD

[XDA][ROM][Pie][OFFICIAL]Resurrection Remix v7.0.0 [whyred]
    Version Information

Created 2019-01-17
    Last Updated 2019-01-17

All I need is for this to become more stable and xposed for Pie to be announced/made available.

^ Nice.. used to run RR on my old OnePlusOne.

has anyone tried the lineage OS on their Redmi Note 5 yet?

LineageOS 15.1

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/development/18-jul-lineageos-15-1-t3817814

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

has anyone tried the lineage OS on their Redmi Note 5 yet?

LineageOS 15.1

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/development/18-jul-lineageos-15-1-t3817814

Yep I've been using it pretty much since I got it and it's been flawless

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Yep I've been using it pretty much since I got it and it's been flawless

brilliant thanks - i think i might have a go of that rom soon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Note 5 I bought from Gearbest got stuck in customs I paid $149 for it anyone got a rough idea what the customs charge will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Note 5 I bought from Gearbest got stuck in customs I paid $149 for it anyone got a rough idea what the customs charge will be?

About $35 including their handling fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

I bought this phone from 3 and I'm guessing it's locked to that carrier. Has anyone unlocked this phone before so it can be used by any carrier. And if so how?

kevin306 wrote: »
    I bought this phone from 3 and I'm guessing it's locked to that carrier. Has anyone unlocked this phone before so it can be used by any carrier. And if so how?

On the now closed three forum they said it wasn't locked to the network.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/108573319

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

corkie wrote: »

Oh great thanks for that.

corkie wrote: »

yeah, mine wasnt locked - quite happily using my Tesco Mobile bill pay SIM in mine now since new from 3 - I belive the Xiamo's are the only handsets in the Three store that are unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

They're not network locked, have bought 3 from the Three stores and all using different network sim cards from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,063 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Does it lock to the first network?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Does it lock to the first network?
    Wouldn't have thought so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Bought this phone for my wife, but can't get any step counter apps working on it. She normally uses the Samsung health app but this didn't work so she tried a different one and it didn't count the steps either.
    Could be something in settings but can't see anything.
    Any ideas?

wilser wrote: »
    Bought this phone for my wife, but can't get any step counter apps working on it. She normally uses the Samsung health app but this didn't work so she tried a different one and it didn't count the steps either.
    Could be something in settings but can't see anything.
    Any ideas?

I wouldn't expect it to do step counter personally because its not a samsung phone :)

it might work with its own mi band watch though I dont know. Three store was selling a Redmi 6 mi band bundle just before christmas there in their stores and online

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

I wouldn't expect it to personally because its not a samsung phone :)

it might work with its own mi band watch though I dont know. Three store was selling a Redmi 6 mi band bundle just before christmas there in their stores and online

Yes, it works fine with my mi band 3, just d/l the mi fit app from play store.

/quote]

The samsung app works on other android phones. Always used it on my motorola ;-)

bodonnell wrote: »
    Yes, it works fine with my mi band 3, just d/l the mi fit app from play store.

Will try this, thanks. Do I need the to pick up a mi band or does it work without it?

/quote]

The samsung app works on other android phones. Always used it on my motorola ;-)

ah right I see - so has the other phones maybe got to have the extra hardware in it for the app to work?

like I know the Samsung S6 has got the heart rate monitor sensor at the back where the camera is - but the Xaoimi hasnt built that hardware into their phone.

It would be like trying to use a NFC app on the Xaoimi phone, it wont work because it hasnt got NFC on this phone :)

ah right I see - so has the other phones maybe got to have the extra hardware in it for the app to work?

like I know the Samsung S6 has got the heart rate monitor sensor at the back where the camera is - but the Xaoimi hasnt built that hardware into their phone.

It would be like trying to use a NFC app on the Xaoimi phone, it wont work because it hasnt got NFC on this phone :)

Only ever used the Samsung health app for step counting and it worked grand on a Motorola g4

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Will try this, thanks. Do I need the to pick up a mi band or does it work without it?

Don't know if it will work on other phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Since the latest update my phone seems to take longer to open the unlock screen .. normally i press the power button and the screen lights up I enter my pattern for unlock and that's that

Now I seem to press the button and there is about a 3 second delay before I can enter my pattern , not a lot I know but it wasn't like that before update . I use the phone alot throughout the day so it gets annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Invincible

Advertisement