Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭j timber

Hi guys badly in need of your expertise if possible
    This morning I left in my xiaomi note 5 into phone shop to get the volume button repaired. When he turned back on the phone it is looking for my mi account password...
    I have checked my email and the mi account number does not correspond with what is on the phone..so now the phone is locked and useless to me.
    Help pls

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭j timber

Just to add to last post..I have logged into my mail account on tablet but when I try to send on a password reset or do anything it looks for a code.nothing is being sent to my email.. Also the account number on phone is different to the one on tablet so I am really struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭corkie

@j timber where did you get the phone originally, did you get it second hand or from not a reliable seller?

Did the phone repair shop, change mi account on the device while they had it?

If it has been factory reset, then you have run into FRP!

This video might help?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Bought theb 4gig 64gb dual aim version off eglobal fpr 157 all in. Decent enough deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Anyone getting strange notifications from the Mi Browser?

Started the other day, don't want to click into it,
    might have clicked by accident the other day, appears to be Indonesian...

Today's one is 'Goodie Bag Oscar, rp. 1.4m

Salah satunya ganja, ini dia isinya...'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

I'm a reasonably technical person ( used to work in IT support)

I've run into a few issues with this phone, and from my research, they can only be fixed by rooting.

Perhaps I've missed it in this thread, but I'd appreciate if somebody could point me in the direction of a reasonably good guide on how to root, this model of phone.

RHJ wrote: »
    I'm a reasonably technical person ( used to work in IT support)

I've run into a few issues with this phone, and from my research, they can only be fixed by rooting.

Perhaps I've missed it in this thread, but I'd appreciate if somebody could point me in the direction of a reasonably good guide on how to root, this model of phone.

What issues exactly? Some things like de-bloating the device can be done without needing root.

To root, you would need to: -
    1. Unlock Bootloader (waiting process of at least 360 (/720) Hours on the process.)
    2. Flash TWRP (Custom Recovery)
    3. With TWRP then flash Magisk.

See: - https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/index for more about the above.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    What issues exactly? Some things like de-bloating the device can be done without needing root.

To root, you would need to: -
    1. Unlock Bootloader (waiting process of at least 360 (/720) Hours on the process.)
    2. Flash TWRP (Custom Recovery)
    3. With TWRP then flash Magisk.

See: - https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/index for more about the above.

Thanks, I followed the instructions for unlocking the bootloader looks like there is no way around the 15 days wait time :-(

The issues I've run into are firstly trying to use my phone with a running armband you can double tap the screen to wake but if the proximity sensor is in any way blocked the screen goes off straight away. The best solution I have found is to root the phone, install Xposed and disable the proximity sensor.

Not sure if it's a general Android issue or unique to Xaiomi.

The second issue is I can't set my Bluetooth headphones as a trusted device to keep my phone unlocked from what I have read Xaiomi disabled this feature in MIUI for anything except their own Bluetooth devices.

Know issue that xiaomi (MIUI Rom) smart unlock only supports xiaomi products.

No Xposed for PIE(yet), also last time I checked it doesn't work with MIUI Oreo as well.

Have you considered switching to a Custom Rom? Since you will be unlocking the bootloader anyway.

Know issue that xiaomi (MIUI Rom) smart unlock only supports xiaomi products.

No Xposed for PIE(yet), also last time I checked it doesn't work with MIUI Oreo as well.

Have you considered switching to a Custom Rom? Since you will be unlocking the bootloader anyway.

I'd definitely like to switch to a different Rom is there one that gives me a close as possible experience to stock Android used on the Google Pixel?

I've used the debloating tool to remove as many of the pre-installed apps and replaced them with the standard Google apps.

• Advertisement

Maybe have a look at Pixel experience, don't use it myself on RN5 (Still on RR Oreo for xposed). But was using it on my Kenzo until it was abandoned, Now using Aospextended on that device.

Youtube of pie version, but you could also try an Oreo based version, if you require xposed?

Check XDA: - https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/development

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

RHJ wrote: »
    Thanks, I followed the instructions for unlocking the bootloader looks like there is no way around the 15 days wait time :-(

The issues I've run into are firstly trying to use my phone with a running armband you can double tap the screen to wake but if the proximity sensor is in any way blocked the screen goes off straight away. The best solution I have found is to root the phone, install Xposed and disable the proximity sensor.

Not sure if it's a general Android issue or unique to Xaiomi.

The second issue is I can't set my Bluetooth headphones as a trusted device to keep my phone unlocked from what I have read Xaiomi disabled this feature in MIUI for anything except their own Bluetooth devices.

When you get your phone unlocked just be very careful using the Mi flash tool as it automatically defaults to relocking your phone after flashing the rom, I ended up with a failed flash and had to open up the phone and short two points to put it into EDL mode check bottom right of tool and make sure none of the lock options are selected.

When you get your phone unlocked just be very careful using the Mi flash tool as it automatically defaults to relocking your phone after flashing the rom, I ended up with a failed flash and had to open up the phone and short two points to put it into EDL mode check bottom right of tool and make sure none of the lock options are selected.

I presume if I flashed to a new ROM I wouldn't need to use the tool mentioned above unless I wish to reinstall MIUI?

And just out of curiosity for anyone running a different ROM from stock. could you turn on tap to wake and then lock the screen of your phone finally cover the proximity sensor and then double tap the screen to see if it stays on or turns off immediately I'm just curious if it's a bug with xiaomi MIUI or just a general bug or poorly implemented feature with Android in general.

Tap to wake works in RR[Oreo] with sensor covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

What about Screen > Raise to wake

That seems to work for me with the sensor covered.
    Not sure if that's suitable for your use case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Just checking on any recommendations for sorting out the below scenario.

A family member has managed to forget their screen lock password/code. Fingerprint unlock is not an option due to this he tells me. I'm currently trying to work this out remotely so I don't have the phone to hand. I'm trying to test possible solutions off my pocophone.

The only option he's geting is to select "Forgot Password" and wipe the device which he doesn't want to do.

I'm quite technical so don't mind trying something a bit more involved to resolve this or just paying for some software to unlock it if there is anything reliable to do so.

If on the odd chance the bootloader is unlocked, and TWRP installed, you could delete the password files associated with the login.

The other options is to use Google Device Manager online and change the pin/password using that.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6160491?hl=en

@stockshares We are aware, but they also have €80+ Markup on prices compared to other online sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

@stockshares We are aware, but they also have €80+ Markup on prices compared to other online sellers.

I've noticed the prices. Its no harm keeping an eye on the site though as some phone prices tend to drop when new stock comes in. An example is the Motorola G5s which has dropped about 70euro

BTW I normally go Payg. Would the billpay offers on Three be worth it for the Redmi Note 5

• Advertisement

Would the billpay offers on Three be worth it for the Redmi Note 5

Not really because your paying through the nose for the 3/32gb version from there.

https://www.three.ie/brand/xiaomi/xiaomi-redmi-note-5/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Got one on Sunsky today,64gb. ordered Tuesday, arrived today. Was 128 delivered with DHL express. Mental how quick it was delivered from China

dar_cool wrote: »
    Got one on Sunsky today,64gb. ordered Tuesday, arrived today. Was 128 delivered with DHL express. Mental how quick it was delivered from China

I thought Honorbuy was best to buy from. I haven't heard of Sunsky until now

Yeah I was skeptical but they seemed to have decent reviews so bit the bullet. They put low price on invoice aswell so no customs fees

dar_cool wrote: »
    Yeah I was skeptical but they seemed to have decent reviews so bit the bullet. They put low price on invoice aswell so no customs fees

was it delivery by DHL?

if so going through DHL is the reason no customs.

it it was coming through an post and was noticed as a phone you'd be asked for an invoice.

glasso wrote: »
    was it delivery by DHL?

if so going through DHL is the reason no customs.

it it was coming through an post and was noticed as a phone you'd be asked for an invoice.

Yeah DHL, ah ok that's good to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

RasTa wrote: »

Crappy MediaTek CPU device! Stay clear.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/redmi6

If your looking for an upgrade to the RN5 look at RN7/Pro instead!

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_7_pro-9521.php

Crappy MediaTek CPU device! Stay clear.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/redmi6

If your looking for an upgrade to the RN5 look at RN7/Pro instead!

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_7_pro-9521.php

In the comments section of the gsmarena spec sheet some users mention that the Miui contains irritating Ads. Is that correct?

• Advertisement

In the comments section of the gsmarena spec sheet some users mention that the Miui contains irritating Ads. Is that correct?

That is correct, some or most can be disabled. Use alternative apps instead of MIUI default apps.

Xiaomi makes money from Ad revenue to make up for there low cost devices, they don't make much/any profit on device sales.

Ultimate solution is to unlock bootloader and flash a custom rom.

Advertisement