Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

corkie wrote: »
    That is correct, some or most can be disabled. Use alternative apps instead of MIUI default apps.

Xiaomi makes money from Ad revenue to make up for there low cost devices, they don't make much/any profit on device sales.

Ultimate solution is to unlock bootloader and flash a custom rom.

Thanks, its probably been asked before but in case it hasnt do you think the RN5 is better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks, its probably been asked before but in case it hasnt do you think the RN5 is better value.

than what exactly? The device is nearly a year old at this stage. You would be better of looking at RN7/Pro which is priced competitively.

This thread created on 16-03-2018, 22:43 although it was in the testing forum originally and then moved here.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

than what exactly? The device is nearly a year old at this stage. You would be better of looking at RN7/Pro which is priced competitively.

This thread created on 16-03-2018, 22:43 although it was in the testing forum originally and then moved here.

Than the RN7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Just in case people didnt know already Argos are stocking Xiaomi phones now.

thought the redmi note 5 was a lot dearer than the 140 I paid for mine unlocked from three ... but then I see the argos one is 64/4 and the one I got from three is 32/3

dar_cool wrote: »
    Got one on Sunsky today,64gb. ordered Tuesday, arrived today. Was 128 delivered with DHL express. Mental how quick it was delivered from China

maybe it came from a europe warehouse ... most probably London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭corkie

thought the redmi note 5 was a lot dearer than the 140 I paid for mine unlocked from three ... but then I see the argos one is 64/4 and the one I got from three is 32/3
    Not really because your paying through the nose for the 3/32gb version from there.

https://www.three.ie/brand/xiaomi/xiaomi-redmi-note-5/

I have mentioned that fact across multiple threads a few times?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

RasTa wrote: »

yeah - thats a Redmi6 with a mediatek and not a Redmi note5 with a snapdragon , thats why!

I have mentioned that fact across multiple threads a few times?

good - hope you don't mind me reinforcing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Update. Official Android Pie release coming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Got one on Sunsky today,64gb. ordered Tuesday, arrived today. Was 128 delivered with DHL express. Mental how quick it was delivered from China

Hi.

I'm currently looking at getting the RN7 & checking the usual sites on this thread.

honorbuy - €234.19 incl delivery
    sunsky - € 218.99 incl delivery

Didn't know about sunsky til your post.

did you check the DHL tracking to see if it came from HK or EU?

I'd hate to save €15 on the phone & get caught for customs charges :)

thanks

tb_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Hi,
    It came from HK through Germany, UK and onto here. One of the guys above say once it comes with DHL you don't get charged customs. I was amazed at how quick it came. 2.5 days which is mental.

Quick Android Pie update .
    I've updated to the Pie Beta from xiaomi.eu
    One issue is that my SD card isn't working.
    Getting the notification Corrupted SanDisk SD Card .
    However I dirty flashed the ROM directly over Oreo and only wiped caches.
    So it's either due to that, or a bug in the current beta version.
    (I'd imagine the card itself is fine and working)

No other issues encountered so far. Bluetooth worked in the car this morning (as it always did on Oreo). Haven't tried GPS yet.
    To early to tell about battery life.

I'll post again with an update if/when the SD card issue is fixed, or if I spot any other issues.

Available here .. read all the FAQs etc and understand what you're doing before flashing!
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/xiaomi-eu-multilang-miui-roms/files/xiaomi.eu/MIUI-WEEKLY-RELEASES/9.3.25/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

for anyone interested, im selling my 4gb 64gb rose gold note 5. Only a month old. Prestine condition:D

Another Pie update.
    I updated to next beta release and my SD card corruption message continued.
    So I copied the files onto my laptop and formatted the card in my phone, as the error message had "tap to fix" option for the format.
    (I had already tried a chkdsk/f and also a format with the laptop which "fixed" an issue but didn't fix the phone error).

So now all appears to be working fine.
    No more errors with the SD card.
    Issue was not with the beta, it was small corruption on the card itself.
    Perhaps pie reports corruption before it gets worse, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

One thing that's been bugging me lately.. probably more Spotify related than anything but wondering if anyone has addressed it.. when my phone is locked, it keeps lighting up when Spotify changes to next song. Anyone else noticed this?

Edit: this looks like it'll fix it: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Android-app-wakes-the-phone-screen-while-locked/td-p/1293203

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Hi,
    It came from HK through Germany, UK and onto here. One of the guys above say once it comes with DHL you don't get charged customs. I was amazed at how quick it came. 2.5 days which is mental.

thank again for the heads up on this site

saved a packet

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Basq wrote: »
    One thing that's been bugging me lately.. probably more Spotify related than anything but wondering if anyone has addressed it.. when my phone is locked, it keeps lighting up when Spotify changes to next song. Anyone else noticed this?

Edit: this looks like it'll fix it: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Android-app-wakes-the-phone-screen-while-locked/td-p/1293203

I don't use MIUI anymore, but I have experienced the issue as well hopefully they will fix it in a future update anyway if you are considering switching ROMs I highly recommend Pixel Experience I've been using it for a while and have experienced no issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

A bit off topic but my red mi is dieing a slow death. (Something to do,with microprocessor ). Anyone ever get a refund or repair off goldway or Ali express. Thanks in advance

How do you know that then? Are you getting errors?

I had ordered a glass screen protector from HK Goldway when I ordered my phone. Where it arrived it was cracked.
    I reported it to Goldway and they wanted a video, which I sent via AliExpress app.
    They then offered a voucher off my next purchase.
    I refused and said I wanted a refund.
    They refunded me a couple of days later.
    It was only a couple of Euro so I don't know how you'll fair with a phone return.

Don't know if that helps any.
    Do keep us posted. I'm very interested to hear how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Thanks, sent an email earlier so see what happens. Anyway any ideas for fixing it . Keeps crashing/freezing. Have deleted all apps and done a factory reset, still no joy

• Advertisement

My Redmi Note 5 32GB Global has only 21.7GB :( - I know OS has to take up space but 10GB thats quite bloated ! - looks like I shall have to root soon to take off some stuff.

My Redmi Note 5 32GB Global has only 21.7GB :( - I know OS has to take up space but 10GB thats quite bloated ! - looks like I shall have to root soon to take off some stuff.

But do you really need to store > 21.7GB?
    What about an SD card? Or are you using 2 Sims?

biebiebie wrote: »
    But do you really need to store > 21.7GB?
    What about an SD card? Or are you using 2 Sims?

yeah your right - i should really get meself a SD card in there seeing as I am only using 1 SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

thehamo wrote: »
    for anyone interested, im selling my 4gb 64gb rose gold note 5. Only a month old. Prestine condition:D

Hiya,
    I'm interested in buying if you still have it please. Give me a shout by PM.
    Thanks
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Has anyone had an issue with yellow marks? I have a yellow mark, very visible on a white screen over by the volume keys almost as long as the keys. If you did how were three on repair/returns.

I searched the thread for yellow but only found DHL mentioned.

I don't have that yellow colour showing on mine.
    Did you damage it by dropping by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

sumtings wrote: »
    Has anyone had an issue with yellow marks? I have a yellow mark, very visible on a white screen over by the volume keys almost as long as the keys. If you did how were three on repair/returns.

I searched the thread for yellow but only found DHL mentioned.

Is it like this? It looks like glue between lcd and touch is coming off or damaged by heat See link below

https://in.c.mi.com/thread-1720313-1-0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Is it like this? It looks like glue between lcd and touch is coming off or damaged by heat See link below

https://in.c.mi.com/thread-1720313-1-0.html

Yes thats exactly it but on the other side, it's getting worse too.

The comments and story don't hold out hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

sumtings wrote: »
    Yes thats exactly it but on the other side, it's getting worse too.

The comments and story don't hold out hope.

If you bought it from 3 I would drop into your local store looks like it's a known defect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Invincible

4/64GB version available from eglobal.eu in red for €134.63 including shipping insurance presently.

Advertisement