Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭corkie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have a Xiaomi Redmi 6 Helio P22 Octa core 5.45 inch on the way in the post. Had to buy something quick as I broke the screen on a 1+ for the third time and wasnt replacing it. Im not a heavy user so hope this phone does the trick. Is there any thread about info on the Redmi 6 and is this different to the Redmi Note 6? Xiaomi have so many models and names that are similar you'd be confused.

Also when youve a broken screen is there anyway to rig up a mouse so I can delete some stuff before selling it for spares or repair

Redmi 6 is cheap crap mediatek, entry level device.

Where the note series are mid-level budget devices and you really can't compare the two. Check the rest of the xiaomi wiki linked.

If you have an OTG Cable, you could possibly connect a mouse.

61TeaPKJFDL._SX569_.jpg
    Damo W wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just got a Redmi Note 5 (Global rom) but couldn't d/l Netflix to it from the play store, it did not appear there.

Went to Netflix site and d/l the .apk from there , but now get message saying 'device does not support app'...when I try and open it.

Any advice?

Thanks

Don't use netflix, but you may need to download an older version of the apk, just don't expect to play full HD Content as the device doesn't have windvine support.
    https://netflix.apk.cafe/xiaomi/redmi-note-5-pro-sd636-india

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

ImARebel wrote:
    Very annoying! Could be a combination of both?!

Resloved... Turns out that when it registered on network it set apn to Internet.ch.upcnet when it should just be internet

Stupid virgin media!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

If you have a RMN5 and a bit miffed that the stock camera app only has WB and ISO in its manual settings - but crave for Manual focus and shutter speed why not give Bacon Camera a go:

https://tinyurl.com/y8g2pjp2

I know for sure the manual focus works .. I havent tried the shutter speed part yet .. but its there. - The manual focus part works really well for the times you are taking a photo and the camera doesnt know what it should be focusing on or gets confused when taking a photo with high reflection.

Why not give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

corkie wrote: »

Don't use netflix, but you may need to download an older version of the apk, just don't expect to play full HD Content as the device doesn't have windvine support.
    https://netflix.apk.cafe/xiaomi/redmi-note-5-pro-sd636-india

Super thank you, will try this.

for such a device with a high end Dual rear camera am really surprised they didnt make the RN5 phone camera2.api compatible

469211.jpg

• Advertisement

@Andy From Sligo It is capable of level 3 support, you just need to manually enable it or use magisk module.

Obviously need a bootloader unlocked device to do so.

@Andy From Sligo It is capable of level 3 support, you just need to manually enable it or use magisk module.

Obviously need a bootloader unlocked device to do so.

ah right - very interesting that. i shall have to look into it further, do a bit of read up on it cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hey gang,

Got a Note 5 for my OH for Christmas from Three..

.. and it really is a fantastic phone.

Looking to upgrade my OnePlus One, so is the Three offer still the best value? Am in no rush to order online if there's value to be had there.

Basq wrote: »
    Hey gang,

Got a Note 5 for my OH for Christmas from Three..

.. and it really is a fantastic phone.

Looking to upgrade my OnePlus One, so is the Three offer still the best value? Am in no rush to order online if there's value to be had there.

If i remember correctly it was on offer for €139 before xmas, at €199 for the 3/32gb is a bit pricey, when possible to get 4/64gb online for similar price?

If i remember correctly it was on offer for €139 before xmas, at €199 for the 3/32gb is a bit pricey, when possible to get 4/64gb online for similar price?
    It's still that price AFAIK, though not sure for how much longer..

https://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/xiaomi-redmi-note-5/?src=p

EDIT: I am going to London at start of February and will be staying a 20 minute walk from the Xiaomi Store which has just opened there, so is the UK RRP any better than this?

• Advertisement

It's still that price AFAIK, though not sure for how much longer..

https://www.three.ie/online/voice/prepay/xiaomi-redmi-note-5/?src=p

EDIT: I am going to London at start of February and will be staying a 20 minute walk from the Xiaomi Store which has just opened there, so is the UK RRP any better than this?

https://buy.mi.com/uk/buy/product/redmi-note-5

4/64gb £229 ~ €252 still cheaper from online resellers, but lack of warranty etc.

Redmi Note 6 Pro
    £ 249 (4GB+64GB )
    https://buy.mi.com/uk/buy/product/redmi-note-6-pro

Thanks corkie.

Probably will just just do 3/32GB so maybe Three's deal is best. Will drop in-store over next few days and hope it's still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Thanks corkie.

Probably will just just do 3/32GB so maybe Three's deal is best. Will drop in-store over next few days and hope it's still available.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/mobiles-and-tablets/mobile-phones/#/product/26920

Where I got mine was delivered in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

popsy09 wrote: »

I wasn't so lucky and mine still isn't delivered. . And their customer service is shocking, they couldn't give a fcuk that they sat on the order and didn't send it

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

ImARebel wrote: »
    I wasn't so lucky and mine still isn't delivered. . And their customer service is shocking, they couldn't give a fcuk that they sat on the order and didn't send it

Ya I suppose there is always a few bad stories not sure was I just lucky but no complaints from me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Thanks corkie.

Let me know how you get on!

Edit - Is it worth upgrading from the Note 4 to the Note 5?

i'd like to know more about how these dual cameras work - my understanding and from what I have read up on, one of the cameras on the rear is 12megapixels and the other one on the rear is 5megapixels and that the extra 5megapixel one comes into play for depth of field photos. - so would I be right in saying there wouldnt be a scenario of the 2 lenses combining to give a 17megapixel in total photo?

I done an experiment with my wife's samsung Galaxy S6 and my Redmi Note 5 - both pictures shot had a 'fuzzy/blurred' background and the person in front in focus - so why have 2 cameras on the rear of the phone when an S6 with just one camera lens can still do DOF and blur the background with just one camera or am I missing something here?

[Makan] Technology Behind Dual Camera; Explained!

The camera pixels don't get combined, you still will only have the resolution of the main camera.

[Makan] Technology Behind Dual Camera; Explained!

The camera pixels don't get combined, you still will only have the resolution of the main camera.

thank you for the link, still trying to get my head around it.

Have you are anyone else got any tips to get ALL subjects in focus near and far - I can understand that the 2 len's gives a DSLR type DOF to mobile phones but there are times you may not want DOF (blurred background) in your photos and want the subject in front in focus and the background to be in focus in some photos but on this redmi Note 5 (and other mobiles with 2 lenses) it seems to be on par with making the subject in front in focus and the background blurred - what about if you dont want some photos in that way, say if you want front and rear in focus how can you even do that on the redmi note 5 ? - is there a manual setting somewhere where you can turn off the DOF 5mp lens and just use the 12mp on its own to have the whole photo in focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Increase the distance between camera and subject i.e. focus set to infinity?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

@Andy From Sligo Not using MIUI. Look at the settings of your camera app, and choose not to select portrait mode or maybe use manual settings, if available in the app.

Alternatively use another camera app, (i.e. Open Camera) that doesn't utilize dual cameras.

Did you work out how to enable camera2 api and if enabled look to installing a Gcam Mod.

Search back the thread for working mods and links, have not update my camera apps in months, so don't know what is the latest working mods

Have another little niggle of this phone but it could also be the android operating system itself as well, but I have an app that silences the phone to a period I set it to , so say if I want to silence the phone from all sounds from 11pm at night to 8am in the morning well what it is doing at 8am in the morning is doing this loud noise / notification like a drip sound (it's not an unlock from the lockscreen sound) it's most probably to announce that it is coming out of silent mode and into full volume mode, but I cannot for the life of me disable that sound , cannot find any setting in the app nor in the phone settings itself. I suppose I could root the phone then go into the media folder of the root folder and delete the drip sound (could be ogg or aac or something) but I don't really want to root the phone at the moment, I may at a later date ,but any other way to stop sound when coming out of mute/dnd mode it makes without rooting?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Three still doing the 139.99 deal but you have to buy a minimum of 10 euro credit too so really it's 149.99.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Three still doing the 139.99 deal but you have to buy a minimum of 10 euro credit too so really it's 149.99.
    Was 20 euro topup when I purchased before Christmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Was 20 euro topup when I purchased before Christmas..

Weird, I bought one mid December for my daughter and it was 10 euro then too, bought another today, for me, and still only 10.

I had to get a 10eur Tesco sim card (with no top up)
    Then the phone from three for 139eur
    and 10eur top-up from Three

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have a Xiaomi Redmi 6 Helio P22 Octa core 5.45 inch on the way in the post.

Got this phone in the post and trying to set it up, signed into my gmail and connected wifi but cant complete the process as I keep getting "The Google Assistant isnt available on this account". The help articles go on about G-Suite admin but Ive never had one of these accounts. It wont let me get any further, I
    cant see the phones home screen or do anything unless I complete this process. Ive rebooted and it gives me the same crap. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do you get badge notifications which I think are in Oreo on this phone. Like on an iPhone. Always missed these on Android

beauf wrote: »
    Do you get badge notifications which I think are in Oreo on this phone. Like on an iPhone. Always missed these on Android

i have changed the miui launcher on my redmi note 5 to U launcher Lite from the play store and it works well on the phone and has the badge notification feature :

469853.jpg

469852.jpg

• Advertisement

I have just downloaded the update of the RN5 Note today, thats the 3rd update in the short time I have had the phone. You got to hand it to Xiaomi that they are pretty on the ball when it comes to releasing updates for this phone.

here's the fixes in this update:

469930.jpg

Advertisement