Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VF PAYG "Data User Plan" 15Gb/unlimited calls/texts €20/28 days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nemefuria

My new SIM arrived today and this afternoon SMS from Vodafone: "To facilitate your move to Vodafone you will only be able to receive call and text messages for a short period..."

It's now late in the evening and my number is yet to be ported, i.e. my Tesco Mobile SIM still works with my number. Did anybody experience this kind of delay with the number porting over after receiving the SMS from Vodafone? Am just concerned that the port failed, they never asked me for my Tesco Mobile account number...do they need that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

jim salter wrote: »
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    When you top up €20 you are getting the data and texts only
    Plenty of apps allow calls over data such as WhatsApp so that’s always an option.
    If you don’t buy a call bundle and make calls then you will use all your credit in no time at all

Yeah, €12.06 for a 36 min call!!!!!
    Dick Turpin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Thank you everybody for the information thus far. Going to swap from Three PAYG.

I assume if i go with the €5 calls option, that any remaining credit can be used on the Google Play Store as carrier billing like with Three?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Thank you everybody for the information thus far. Going to swap from Three PAYG.

I assume if i go with the €5 calls option, that any remaining credit can be used on the Google Play Store as carrier billing like with Three?

Yes it can, or for spotify add-on or kept for the following ,month for a call or data add-on. Or donated to another VF-PAYG customer (via IOU Buddy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Phoned up,

NI sales team guy knew about the plan straight away.

He was aware that the plan is only activated when they do the initial 20 top up from their end. Sim in the post.

Hopefully will be as straightforward as the phone call

• Advertisement

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Phoned up,

NI sales team guy knew about the plan straight away.

He was aware that the plan is only activated when they do the initial 20 top up from their end. Sim in the post.

Hopefully will be as straightforward as the phone call
    Happy days boy

Thanks to OP and post #1066, my number ported over this morning, got €10 credit for registering on the website, then got 1GB data, 30 mins and 30 texts (over webchat) while I wait for the offer to activate.

May be useful to others:
    - Once you receive the SIM and get a SMS from Vodafone telling you that you can only make calls and text for a short period, and to check your voicemail, it may actually take them quite a while before your number is ported over. In my case the text came around 4pm but my number was only ported 8am the following day. Don't put the new Vodafone SIM into your phone until you lose connection with the old SIM.
    - To get the 1GB data before the plan activates, I found it almost impossible to contact customer service via 1907 (can use any phone) or 1747 (on Vodafone only I think). Think both connects you to the same system but they always say too busy and ask you to arrange a call back, which is awkward to do and same-day slots are always full! Finally got through to someone over webchat who kindly provided me with data, mins and texts.

I called about 6 times and gave up. You must have got through to a very generous CS agent. €50 free credit at the get go, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can someone link back to the post with the original "HOW TO" in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

• Advertisement

nemefuria wrote: »
    Thanks to OP and post #1066, my number ported over this morning, got €10 credit for registering on the website, then got 1GB data, 30 mins and 30 texts (over webchat) while I wait for the offer to activate.

May be useful to others:
    - Once you receive the SIM and get a SMS from Vodafone telling you that you can only make calls and text for a short period, and to check your voicemail, it may actually take them quite a while before your number is ported over. In my case the text came around 4pm but my number was only ported 8am the following day. Don't put the new Vodafone SIM into your phone until you lose connection with the old SIM.
    - To get the 1GB data before the plan activates, I found it almost impossible to contact customer service via 1907 (can use any phone) or 1747 (on Vodafone only I think). Think both connects you to the same system but they always say too busy and ask you to arrange a call back, which is awkward to do and same-day slots are always full! Finally got through to someone over webchat who kindly provided me with data, mins and texts.

I called and got 15gb of data €20 call credit and 333 texts to keep the sim going for a couple of days, it took 3 calls before I got someone that could speak English but it was easy enough, few days later I got a text saying thanks for topping up and another €20 free and the plan was started, collected another tenner for registering on the app
    Have another sim to change soon, I’m counting down the days to ditch my own contract that’s €60 a month now with Vodafone, they keep calling me to take a new phone and start again but they can forget that idea, free iPhone the fella said, it’s not free when it’s €1440 over 24 months lol
    Yeah I did the same,this deal is the best out there,hope it stays

jamescd wrote: »

This should be added as a sticky to the first post if a moderator could oblige it would be great
    Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Thanks for that.

I've had enough of eir and their excruciating speeds in Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

I rang a few weeks ago and got a NI agent straight away. Asked for data user plan and was no problems really.
    Once ported I used webchat to ask for some free minutes data and texts to tide me over.
    From the first call to the plan being activated was 9/10 days for me.
    Got the 100 minutes for €5. Don't know what to spend the rest on.

Thanks for that.

I've had enough of eir and their excruciating speeds in Dublin City.
    Was with that inept shower useless, left over 2 years ago still getting a monthly bill from them xm,albeit a -11 cent one

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

just a heads up for anyone that is currently on vodafone bill pay and want to switch out and back to avail of the data user plan, switch to postmobile online and it only takes a minute to fill out the form and the sim is free and first month is also free for switching and the added bonus of keeping your number

https://postmobile.ie/totalrollover/

Plus the added benefit that Post Mobile SIMs work in devices locked to Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

So I got my additional credit and when I checked the Vodafone app my offer shows up as the student offer with free texts and 15 gb of data and for €20 a month. Has this happened to anyone else before and I am best off going to customer care through the app or ringing customer care on this?

blackwave wrote: »
    So I got my additional credit and when I checked the Vodafone app my offer shows up as the student offer with free texts and 15 gb of data and for €20 a month. Has this happened to anyone else before and I am best off going to customer care through the app or ringing customer care on this?

The Data User Plan is the Student Offer. You're set up correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Quackster wrote: »

The Data User Plan is the Student Offer. You're set up correctly.

But the student offer I have been given is different. It is not free calls the one I have been is for free texts to any network and is for €20 and not €15 so I think they have put me on the wrong plan.

Yep that's normal bud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The offer is 15GB and texts for 20euro top up, keep the top up.

If you still have 20 credit balance then you are on the Data User Plan.

The calls are optional via an add on which is 15 for unlimited or 5 for 100 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I've just changed to this plan today. I've got free min/text and 3gb data untill the plan activates.

I'm not able to tether. Is tethering possible on this plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

donegal. wrote: »
    I've just changed to this plan today. I've got free min/text and 3gb data untill the plan activates.

I'm not able to tether. Is tethering possible on this plan?

It's more a phone issue. Any phone running Oreo or newer has the data settings locked down and will try and use a chargeable APn to connect to the internet. If you have no credit it won't work.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    It's more a phone issue. Any phone running Oreo or newer has the data settings locked down and will try and use a chargeable APn to connect to the internet. If you have no credit it won't work.
    Tethering was working on the phone earlier using Three and I have credit.
    Are there any settings I can change or anything?
    The phone's a Mi A1 with android 8.1

Tethering was working on the phone earlier using Three and I have credit.
    Are there any settings I can change or anything?
    The phone's a Mi A1 with android 8.1

That's the phone I had a few months back and I wasn't able without it trying to use the hs.vodafone.com APN and therefore getting charged. Only way to get around it would be to root the phone and remove the hs APN and leave the live one. That would force it to use it for tethering.

That solution isn't perfect either because the hs APN can reappear at any time and swallow up your credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Can you point to further info on this please. Lots of reddit stuff hard to find basic facts.
    Does this lock mean if you move operator and insert a new sim even if unlocked the new sim would not be able to create a new Apn?

That's the phone I had a few months back and I wasn't able without it trying to use the hs.vodafone.com APN and therefore getting charged. Only way to get around it would be to root the phone and remove the hs APN and leave the live one. That would force it to use it for tethering.

That solution isn't perfect either because the hs APN can reappear at any time and swallow up your credit.
    Sh1te

Can you point to further info on this please. Lots of reddit stuff hard to find basic facts.
    Does this lock mean if you move operator and insert a new sim even if unlocked the new sim would not be able to create a new Apn?

Moving networks wont be a problem and afaik 3 only use the one APN so you can tether on their network without getting charged. The apns are decided by what sim is inserted at the time.

Sh1te

Yeah Vodafone isn't for Android users on 8.0 or above if they need to tether.

• Advertisement

Or use a third party app like EasyTether to tether via USB or Bluetooth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement