Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VF PAYG "Data User Plan" 15Gb/unlimited calls/texts €20/28 days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Good freebie from Vodafone this week.

I didn't get this, is it your birthday or Vodafone's??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Following this thread now with gusto.

Are they really worth the switch?

Eir are driving me up the wall with the state of the 4g in Dublin cc. I really miss ID.

If you are having problems then I would definitely recommend switching. You shouldn't have 4g issues in the city centre. It's fairly easy to do once you follow the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If you are having problems then I would definitely recommend switching. You shouldn't have 4g issues in the city centre. It's fairly easy to do once you follow the thread.

My only trepidation is the topping up malarkey.

Is it just a case of topping up on the 28th day regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all i have a mi a1 phone is there a way to use hotspot and not get charged for it

massy086 wrote: »
    Hi all i have a mi a1 phone is there a way to use hotspot and not get charged for it

Not without rooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Following this thread now with gusto.

Are they really worth the switch?

Eir are driving me up the wall with the state of the 4g in Dublin cc. I really miss ID.
    Yes worth it

Good freebie from Vodafone this week.

Same here,NADA

Ah I didn't even notice the birthday reference. It was mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

@Sir Dosser. Belated happy birthday

Ah I didn't even notice the birthday reference. It was mine!
    On the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Rang the sales team today, got a NI accent, told him I was switching from Virgin.
    He put me on hold and 8 mins later got a Dublin accent.
    Asked him about the Data User Plan, he said he didn't know anything about it and furthermore didn't know why I was put through to him, as he was from Sales & Retention.
    He told me I'd havta go in store for any info
    :-(

Rang the sales team today, got a NI accent, told him I was switching from Virgin.
    He put me on hold and 8 mins later got a Dublin accent.
    Asked him about the Data User Plan, he said he didn't know anything about it and furthermore didn't know why I was put through to him, as he was from Sales & Retention.
    He told me I'd havta go in store for any info
    :-(

Call back again

Yep keep at them,will end up with a competent person

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Not a straightforward switch!

Rang 4/9/2018, got through to NI agent. Said no problem getting Data User Plan, had to ring back to confirm number. No callback received.

Rang NI again 4/9/2018, was told no problem, but call hung up before finished.

Rang NI again 4/9/2018. Was told didn't get call back because I was on an opt-out list for communications for Vodafone so would have to wait a few days till that was removed before she could call me back. Never received call back.

Left it a while. Tried NI again 27/9/18. Call hung up a few mins into call.

Tried NI again 27/9/18. Again no problem. This time said there was no need for a callback because of previous hassle. He would just send on the sim card straight away.

Sim card arrived 28/9/18. That afternoon I got a text saying I would only be able to receive calls for a short while. Popped in the Vodafone sim and it was active as I could ring my old number and my mobile would ring. I was ported.

Rang CS 1747 on 28/9/18 to get temporary allowance until plan active. Given 200 mins, 200 texts and 2gb of data until Data User Plan was activated. He said he would have to send an email to sales to confirm that I was offered the Data User Plan. Said I would get a call back either that day or very soon. No call back received.

Rang CS 1747 on 2/10/18 to ask about activating the Data User Plan. Was told no problem, he would set it up for me. I was told that I would need to top up by €20 for the plan to activate. I said I would do it over the phone but asked him 3 times to confirm that if I topped up by €20 that I would be on the Data User Plan and not something else because I said I did not want to find out I was on the wrong plan and be told I would have to top up by €20 in order to activate the correct plan. He reassured me that I would be on the Data User Plan. He transferred me over to an agent where I could top up using a debit card. Topped up by €20 and agreed to have it recurring every 28 days.

A few mins after last call I received a text saying that I had 5gb data plus unlimited Vodafone calls and texts. I logged into the app and sure enough I wasn't on the Data User Plan. I was on the Data Extra plan.

Rang CS 1747 2/10/18. At this stage I was half way between annoyed and enraged. In fairness the guy I was talking to appeared to be a little more competent and knowledgeable than previous. He said he would have to send an email to sales to check with sales if I was offered the Data User Plan. He said he would ring me back himself when he heard back. Mentioned he should get email back within 3 days, he mentioned either Friday or Monday. Not holding my breath.

I have all the above calls recorded. I had problems previously with Vodafone when getting fibre broadband and found that they are an unorganized group of incompetents who work in departments that appear to work completely independently of each other without the ability to quickly sort out any problem. They often take personal ownership of a problem when on a call but ultimately never deliver on anything promised. If it works and you have no need to contact them then thats great, but if you have any problems then it takes perseverance to get the issue sorted and you are typically never adequately compensated. (When I had the problem getting broadband and had unnecessarily taken a day off work waiting for an installer that never came, they eventually offered me 200mins of free calls to England. I said they might as well have offered me 200mins of free calls to the Moon as they could well see from my account that I never had reason to ring anyone in England.)

I hope that everyone else has better luck in getting switched over. I never had too much hassle with Tesco Mobile. I hope in the long run that I don't regret switching over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

JustMac wrote: »
    Rang CS 1747 on 2/10/18 to ask about activating the Data User Plan. Was told no problem, he would set it up for me. I was told that I would need to top up by €20 for the plan to activate. I said I would do it over the phone but asked him 3 times to confirm that if I topped up by €20 that I would be on the Data User Plan and not something else because I said I did not want to find out I was on the wrong plan and be told I would have to top up by €20 in order to activate the correct plan. He reassured me that I would be on the Data User Plan. He transferred me over to an agent where I could top up using a debit card. Topped up by €20 and agreed to have it recurring every 28 days.

A few mins after last call I received a text saying that I had 5gb data plus unlimited Vodafone calls and texts. I logged into the app and sure enough I wasn't on the Data User Plan. I was on the Data Extra plan.

Did you have a read through the few recent pages of this thread? If you did, you would've known not to top up. They top you up by €20 for free to activate the plan.

When I spoke to CS, the guy also kept insisting I top up by €20 but I repeatedly told him no. I told him I will wait for a confirmation that the Data User Plan is activated before I do any topping up.

Also you should have just waited a few more days until the plan activated on it's own. There was no need to call to have it activated. Mine took 4 working days (not including weekends) to activate from the day I got ported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

because I was on an opt-out list for communications for Vodafone

GDPR has made a mess of situations like this, the opt out is usually for marketing, not essential calls for providing a service such as number verification.
    need to top up by €20 for the plan to activate

By all accounts, no one has had to top up for the first 28 days, ie the first 28 days is free.
    was on the Data Extra plan.

AFAIK that plan isn't available any more unless you were on Vodafone PAYG before they ended opt in. Don't know how they could have put a new SIM on Data Extra (would expect that a supervisor could but not the sales staff).

Probably a good idea to get them to say what the plan benefits are in the first call so it'll be obvious when they have messed up.

Not a straightforward switch!

Rang 4/9/2018, got through to NI agent. Said no problem getting Data User Plan, had to ring back to confirm number. No callback received.

Rang NI again 4/9/2018, was told no problem, but call hung up before finished.

Rang NI again 4/9/2018. Was told didn't get call back because I was on an opt-out list for communications for Vodafone so would have to wait a few days till that was removed before she could call me back. Never received call back.

Left it a while. Tried NI again 27/9/18. Call hung up a few mins into call.

Tried NI again 27/9/18. Again no problem. This time said there was no need for a callback because of previous hassle. He would just send on the sim card straight away.

Sim card arrived 28/9/18. That afternoon I got a text saying I would only be able to receive calls for a short while. Popped in the Vodafone sim and it was active as I could ring my old number and my mobile would ring. I was ported.

Rang CS 1747 on 28/9/18 to get temporary allowance until plan active. Given 200 mins, 200 texts and 2gb of data until Data User Plan was activated. He said he would have to send an email to sales to confirm that I was offered the Data User Plan. Said I would get a call back either that day or very soon. No call back received.

Rang CS 1747 2/10/18. At this stage I was half way between annoyed and enraged. In fairness the guy I was talking to appeared to be a little more competent and knowledgeable than previous. He said he would have to send an email to sales to check with sales if I was offered the Data User Plan. He said he would ring me back himself when he heard back. Mentioned he should get email back within 3 days, he mentioned either Friday or Monday. Not holding my breath.

I have all the above calls recorded. I had problems previously with Vodafone when getting fibre broadband and found that they are an unorganized group of incompetents who work in departments that appear to work completely independently of each other without the ability to quickly sort out any problem. They often take personal ownership of a problem when on a call but ultimately never deliver on anything promised. If it works and you have no need to contact them then thats great, but if you have any problems then it takes perseverance to get the issue sorted and you are typically never adequately compensated. (When I had the problem getting broadband and had unnecessarily taken a day off work waiting for an installer that never came, they eventually offered me 200mins of free calls to England. I said they might as well have offered me 200mins of free calls to the Moon as they could well see from my account that I never had reason to ring anyone in England.)

I hope that everyone else has better luck in getting switched over. I never had too much hassle with Tesco Mobile. I hope in the long run that I don't regret switching over.
    You definitely won't,I was with all of the others, VF a notch above

jamescd wrote: »
    Did you have a read through the few recent pages of this thread? If you did, you would've known not to top up. They top you up by €20 for free to activate the plan.

When I spoke to CS, the guy also kept insisting I top up by €20 but I repeatedly told him no. I told him I will wait for a confirmation that the Data User Plan is activated before I do any topping up.

Also you should have just waited a few more days until the plan activated on it's own. There was no need to call to have it activated. Mine took 4 working days (not including weekends) to activate from the day I got ported.

I've read a lot of the thread. I see that several people were saying that it takes a couple of days before activating. I didn't see anyplace where anyone said that you MUST wait. (Not saying for sure that it isn't there but couldn't be arsed going through 95 pages to find it or not) As I mentioned on the phone the person I was dealing with confirmed about 3 times that I would be on the Data User Plan. I was running out of data after the weekend.

I agree with someone who said a few pages back. It would be great if the OP would update the first post with the info on post 1066 to make it easier to get the plan. Its a great bargain but I don't see why you should need to read 95 pages to know all the details about how to get it.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    GDPR has made a mess of situations like this, the opt out is usually for marketing, not essential calls for providing a service such as number verification.

By all accounts, no one has had to top up for the first 28 days, ie the first 28 days is free.

AFAIK that plan isn't available any more unless you were on Vodafone PAYG before they ended opt in. Don't know how they could have put a new SIM on Data Extra (would expect that a supervisor could but not the sales staff).

Probably a good idea to get them to say what the plan benefits are in the first call so it'll be obvious when they have messed up.

I was on Vodafone PAYG years ago so that might explain the Data Extra.

On most of the calls I made (all recorded), including the first, they did say what the plan benefits. I'm hoping that it will be obvious that they messed up but I'm not confident and expect it will take a few more calls.

I'm hoping that it will be obvious that they messed up but I'm not confident and expect it will take a few more calls.

Lol. Just after posting this I got the text 'Thanks for topping Up...'.

Just logged into the app and says Student Offer at the bottom. All done. No more annoying calls to make.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Lol. Just after posting this I got the text 'Thanks for topping Up...'.

Just logged into the app and says Student Offer at the bottom. All done. No more annoying calls to make.

You should contact 1747 to get the whole €20 you topped up by credited to your account as I assume some/all of it was gobbled up to mistakenly buy the Data Extra plan which you never asked for.

Quackster wrote: »
    You should contact 1747 to get the whole €20 you topped up by credited to your account as I assume some/all of it was gobbled up to mistakenly buy the Data Extra plan which you never asked for.

Thanks for the advice but luckily no need to ring again. I have €40.37 credit. They gave me a €20 goodwill gesture someplace along the way. I added €20 and got the €10 for the registering on the app. Might have used/lost €10 someplace along the way but I'm happy to be on the plan.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Takes more patience than phone calls really

It looks like its pot luck. For some people it appears to have been hassle free but for others not. I agree, in hindsight I should have had a little more patience.

Thanks for the advice but luckily no need to ring again. I have €40.37 credit. They gave me a €20 goodwill gesture someplace along the way. I added €20 and got the €10 for the registering on the app. Might have used/lost €10 someplace along the way but I'm happy to be on the plan.

Yeah, the €20 goodwill gesture is part of the deal of porting to Vodafone on the Data User Plan. The Data Extra plan takes €10 of your €20 top-up.

If you don't fancy ringing then again, you could always use the live chat on the app/website or drop them a message on the 'talk to' forum here. The few times over the years I've had issues like this, I've found it pretty painless getting them to refund credit.

It’s possible to call for an allowance of data, texts and minutes to carry you over.
    The sim I ported over ended up with €60 of free credit by the time it was sorted.

This is what the real pot luck is. When I ported back on to this offer (after a brief stint on Post Mobile), I rang up for an allowance to tide me over and 'only' received 100 mins/texts and 1GB of promotional data whereas others seem to have done much better!

In fairness though, the 1GB was more than enough for me for the few days until the plan activated. And as promotional data is always used before plan data (and plan data before data add-ons), regardless of whichever one expires first, there was no possibility of still having some unused promotional data after the unused plan data expired 28 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Quackster wrote: »
    And as promotional data is always used before plan data (and plan data before data add-ons), regardless of whichever one expires first, there was no possibility of still having some unused promotional data after the unused plan data expired 28 days later.

Oddly enough, I still have mine. My plan data was used up 1st for some reason so I still have the 1GB promotional data.

The 28 days is over now though so I've had to buy the 5GB addon with my free credit and it seems to be using the promotional data first now. The 1GB should be used up well before the add on expires.

jamescd wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I still have mine. My plan data was used up 1st for some reason so I still have the 1GB promotional data.

The 28 days is over now though so I've had to buy the 5GB addon with my free credit and it seems to be using the promotional data first now. The 1GB should be used up well before the add on expires.

That's interesting. Is it labelled in the app as 'promotional data'? It's one annoyance I have with Vodafone that the data allowance with the earliest expiry date isn't always used first.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭steedevaney

Has anyone ported from an eir sim only plan and if so how does handing in the 30 day notice work?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Got my Mum ported over onto the plan easy enough , but when I checked her balance today after paying the €20 on 25/10 it was only €1.91 . Customer service tell me she needs to send a text "TALK" to 50233 every month ....
    Is this correct ????

• Advertisement

You have to buy a bundle or however many minutes you’re likely to use so yes they are right, different bundles available I think from memory it’s 100 minutes for €5 or unlimited for €15

Can buy them from the app either. Very easy to ask Google to remind her every 28 days to buy calls add-on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement