Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭squarecircles

for all those complaining about the warm nights,the humidity and heat, met eireann have just released a new fresh hell for you all.

Bring.it.on.

Headline: Warm and humid up to and including Thursday. Risk of thundery showers, mainly in the north and northwest on Saturday, but the risk diminishes from Sunday onwards, with mostly dry conditions. Outlook for the end of next week still uncertain.

Sunday to Tuesday, inclusive: Mainly dry, with some hazy sunshine at times, but some cloud also. A few scattered showers are likely, with a risk of a few heavy and thundery ones. Warm and humid, with temperatures in the low 20s inland and possibly reaching the mid 20s in places on Monday and Tuesday.. Coasts will be a little cooler sea breezes. Winds light to moderate, easterly or variable in direction, becoming mostly light variable by Tuesday. Mild and humid at night, with some mist or fog patches.

Wednesday and Thursday: Mostly dry, with some hazy sunshine at times, but there is a very slight risk of one or two heavy and possibly thundery showers breaking. Very warm and humid, with temperatures in the mid to high 20s inland, but a little cooler on coasts affected by sea breezes. Winds light to moderate, southerly or variable in direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Its almost like there is a warm bubble of air stuck over the west of Ireland over the last couple of days. Not unusual in an easterly, but under more typical easterly patterns at this time of year, you would expect much of the western side of the UK to experience similar temps, yet they have been cooler than us, which is unusual in itself. The current temps here would be considered unusually warm and muggy in late July and August. That they occurring so early in the year hints to me that something isn't quite right with this current pattern.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Its almost like there is a warm bubble of air stuck over the west of Ireland over the last couple of days. Not unusual in an easterly, but under more typical easterly patterns at this time of year, you would expect much of the western side of the UK to experience similar temps, yet they have been cooler than us, which is unusual in itself. The current temps here would be considered unusually warm and muggy in late July and August. That they occurring so early in the year hints to me that something isn't quite right with this current pattern.

Well to be fair, very little of the last year has been 'typical', with Ophelia and the immense March snow.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Well to be fair, very little of the last year has been 'typical', with Ophelia and the immense March snow.

Note the boiling seas all around Epic Europa:

gfs_nh-sat1_sstanom_1-day.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another glorious day in Donegal today, not a single cloud to be seen from sunrise to sunset, definitely picked the right week to spend up here :cool:

I'm absolutely loving the weather at the moment, after such a long dragged out winter I'm appreciating it even more than usual. As Gonzo said we've pretty much gone straight from winter to summer this year and it's such a nice feeling to suddenly be able to lie around in shorts and t-shirt after so long wrapped up in heavy winter clothes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Was expected to fly to London city airport at 7 this morning for us only to get there and say it’s cancelled Due to possible thunderstorms we wore directed to heathrow.... happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Parts of Norway and Sweden have been warmer than Spain lately. The heat is quite exceptional for those countries. For the past 8 days, the high temperatures have been 24-30C in Oslo and the forecast for the next 9 days there is 24-31C. This would be unusual for summer, let alone spring. The duration makes this heatwave even crazier.

In fact, yesterday was Norway's warmest May day on record.

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1002083812979953664

19.6c currently in West Clare, it's not even 10am!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy in Cork City and 15 degrees :( oh sun come back. The grey is very bland looking.

In terms of mean temperature for the last few days of May (25th - 31st) it is looking likely that we are looking at a record breaker this year, with the current national mean temp (up to 30th) standing at 16.1c. The average for the period is 11.9c. Nearest highest I can find is the 15.7c of 2012, which in itself, was unprecedented.

Data from 'Dah Met'.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Cloudy in Cork City and 15 degrees :( oh sun come back. The grey is very bland looking.

Sun is zapping everything and everyone is sight here. Thought I heard it demonically laughing just there as it blinding white heat glow grows ever more intense.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sun is zapping everything and everyone is sight here. Thought I heard it demonically laughing just there as it blinding white heat glow grows ever more intense.

Would you like to swap weather? :cool::pac:

Jaysus, I think cave living is the life for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes, please send any unwanted heat or sunshine to North Kildare. Hazy sunshine and 18c here. Thankfully it's dead calm and the humidity is high so it doesn't feel to bad. I'd describe it as pleasant/mild but nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Only 16.8C this morning in Castlebar, very overcast so far and the humidity is at 93%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hard to know if we will get day 9 in a row of temperatures over 19c in Sligo today

It rained a bit and its 15c now but this afternoon will be warmer.

Can we breach 19c again?!

pauldry wrote: »
    Hard to know if we will get day 9 in a row of temperatures over 19c in Sligo today

It rained a bit and its 15c now but this afternoon will be warmer.

Can we breach 19c again?!

I'd bet a fair bit of money that you will breach 19c in Sligo again today......as long as the cloud breaks up in the afternoon.

56mm of rain this month, a little below average but nothing shocking. Excluding that spell we got Sunday 2 weeks ago it's been a fairly dry month.

21.1c now, humid and windless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has hit 20c on the button now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nearing 2,000 posts on this thread with 1,941 posts proves just how "interesting" this Spring has been in comparison to Spring 2017's 1,094 posts.

Crazy season from blizzard and coldest Spring day on record to April "heatwave" to scorcher May Day bank holiday to this late May warm and thundery spell. There was also Irene on April 16th.

Not a season I'll be forgetting any time soon.

My favourite? Most certainly not. My favourite to this day is 2011.

If there's one aspect I despised of this Spring, it was the lack of sunshine especially the second week of April.

• Advertisement

Would you like to swap weather? :cool::pac:

Gladly.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think Spring started off great with Storm Emma etc but the cold went on for far too long. It felt bitterly cold up to the start of May, then we had that very warm weekend, which is probably still the warmest weather we've had here in the East this year so far.

My home is only starting to become warm now after what seemed like 6 months of single digit temperatures prolonging the cold feel indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think Spring started off great with Storm Emma etc but the cold went on for far too long. It felt bitterly cold up to the start of May, then we had that very warm weekend, which is probably still the warmest weather we've had here in the East this year so far.

My home is only starting to become warm now after what seemed like 6 months of single digit temperatures prolonging the cold feel indoors.

I know what you mean but you can’t deny it’s been a very pleasant May. Even in the East.

It’s already up to 21c in Dublin today with high humidity so back to feeling warm I think.

Even though there’ll be a bit less sun over the next few days, it looks like it’ll be warmer in and around Dublin as there’ll be less of a sea breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

We always feel cheated here in the south west but certainly not this year. It's been a fabulous May. I went for a walk on the beach at 8 yesterday evening and you really would think you were somewhere on the costas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

compsys wrote: »
    I know what you mean but you can’t deny it’s been a very pleasant May. Even in the East.

It’s already up to 21c in Dublin today with high humidity so back to feeling warm I think.

Even though there’ll be a bit less sun over the next few days, it looks like it’ll be warmer in and around Dublin as there’ll be less of a sea breeze.

yep, May has mostly been great. I think it was the very cold second half of March and all of April that really got to me.

Today is feeling very warm in comparison to the past few days too with no cool breeze, just very warm air!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's partly cloudy with little breeze and 20.1C here now.

totally cloudy here too, still 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very warm and humid here now with sunshine. 22c

North Kildare, just hit 21c and there's an beautiful blue sky arriving now so expecting temperatures to shoot up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very little clouds around in Dublin 5, only a few to my southwest. Pleasant day for walking or activities that don't involve too much effort.

Advertisement