Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

western Ireland is doing so well today, parts reaching 25C already.

Some very low temperatures over parts of Spain and Portugal right now.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperatures.php?region=sp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

John.Icy wrote: »
    Dublin set to be the coolest location once again, along with other Eastern coastal areas.

I love sunshine but christ, 19/20 degrees and a stinker of an east breeze has me begging for a pattern change. GFS is an endless loop of high pressure re-establishing itself to our North dragging back in an east wind. No thanks :(

Long may it continue for further inland and out West though! Looking on at 23 degree temperatures at 11am with jealousy!

EDIT: I wonder how high it will get today. Any guesses? I'm going to say 26/27 degrees at either Newport, Mt.Dillon, Markree or perhaps Belmullet as that's the current top.

Jesus. 20 degrees and endless blue skies are nothing to be scoffed at for Dublin in late spring.

I get where you’re coming from but I think we’re only annoyed because we see the rest of the country getting so much warmer.

But had you asked any of us in March/April if we’d accept two to three weeks of above average temps and lots of sun in May we’d have said yes!

The max average temp for June is stil only 18/19 degrees in Dublin so even then 20c still isn’t that bad as long as there’s sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

26.0c and a high of 26.3c earlier in West Clare. Such heat is very rare here as a sea breeze usually kicks in, but not today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

compsys wrote: »
    Jesus. 20 degrees and endless blue skies are nothing to be scoffed at for Dublin in late spring.

I get where you’re coming from but I think we’re only annoyed because we see the rest of the country getting so much warmer.

But had you asked any of us in March/April if we’d accept two to three weeks of above average temps and lots of sun in May we’d have said yes!

The max average temp for June is stil only 18/19 degrees in Dublin so even then 20c still isn’t that bad as long as there’s sun.

It's a personal preference. I just don't find 20 degrees that warm or great, especially not with the breeze. The weathers been excellent since May began and I never said it wasn't, but I'd love a couple more degrees and calmer conditions. The 23 degrees two or so weekends ago was lovely and with sustained possibilities of this east breeze on the models I won't be sorry to wish for something different :D

In other; 4 stations reporting 25 degrees now. Wonder will we get a 26?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Just re the easterly breeze, it will gradually warm up if we can sustain a similar pattern to currently, stunning month for the country so far regardless. 20.7c here in Dublin at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann 4pm reports. A beautiful 26 degrees at Newport Co.Mayo and Shannon airport. Even Knock doing very well at 24 degrees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Just re the easterly breeze, it will gradually warm up if we can sustain a similar pattern to currently, stunning month for the country so far regardless. 20.7c here in Dublin at the moment.

easterly breezes have a far smaller impact around July-early September. The Irish sea is still currently very cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thank god for the breeze! Would have been fairly hideous without one today (24C in the Deise). And yes I feel bad about moaning. Would you believe it we need some rain :)

Hot, verging on uncomfortable in West Clare, just reached 26.7c, hottest since 2013. Bring it on!

Humidity 57%, very high for these temperatures, giving a dewpoint of 17c. That's also the highest since 2013.

Thank god for the breeze! Would have been fairly hideous without one today (24C in the Deise). And yes I feel bad about moaning. Would you believe it we need some rain :)

most places should see showers from Thursday, some places could see some very heavy rain, but hopefully nothing like what Kent/London experienced today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭squarecircles

stiflingly oppressive in west mayo today,had to come inside at one stage,it was unbearable to sit in it with the humidity,even the muggy breeze didnt help,just making you gulp for air.

my condolences to those on the east coast.If this continues i may have to manipulate my locations place name
    and then induce into my post for the entire summer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

26.4C in Castlebar looks as high as we are getting here today, still 26C out, humidity at 64% and like the last 4 evenings rapidly rising.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Hot, verging on uncomfortable in West Clare, just reached 26.7c, hottest since 2013. Bring it on!

Humidity 57%, very high for these temperatures, giving a dewpoint of 17c. That's also the highest since 2013.

Reached the magical 27c, gone down to 25.1c now after 20mins of cloud.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max of 24.6c in Waterford City which matched yesterdays High. Sunny all day with a little breeze to cool things down at times. Perfect conditions really.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's currently 20.5C. That northeast breeze feels quite cool. The high was 23.3C here this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There's an unusual chart! Shannon seems to be the warmest place in western Europe! :eek:

Reurmett.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Can I just clarify lads is the bank holiday weekend not looking like holding on to this glorious weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo town got to near 26c

Markree 25c

Can I just clarify lads is the bank holiday weekend not looking like holding on to this glorious weather?

We are most likely to lose the unbroken sunshine/ full blue sky from tomorrow evening. Clouds with possible showers may get going from tomorrow evening.

Thursday could be a fairly cloudy day with shower activity and not quite as warm as it has been over past 2 days. Showers are also possible Friday-Sunday: where and when it's difficult to say right now. Some lucky places could escape while others could get some beefy showers. Temperatures generally 16-22C over the next few days and weekend.

It will still feel warm over the next several days, unless your caught under a shower or thick cloud. There will definitely be less sun around.

It could be much worse, with a horrible cold breakdown from the Atlantic, but thankfully that's not happening any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    We are most likely to lose the unbroken sunshine/ full blue sky from tomorrow evening. Clouds with possible showers may get going from tomorrow evening.

Thursday could be a fairly cloudy day with shower activity and not quite as warm as it has been over past 2 days. Showers are also possible Friday-Sunday: where and when it's difficult to say right now. Some lucky places could escape while others could get some beefy showers. Temperatures generally 16-22C over the next few days and weekend.

It will still feel warm over the next several days, unless your caught under a shower or thick cloud. There will definitely be less sun around.

It could be much worse, with a horrible cold breakdown from the Atlantic, but thankfully that's not happening any time soon.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Todays highest (from met)

Shannon Airport: 26.3 °C
    Newport,Mayo: 26.1 °C
    Markree Castle & Moore Park: 25.7 °C
    Claremorris: 25.3 °C
    Athenry: 24.8 °C
    Finner Camp: 24.7 °C
    Mount Dillon & Belmullet: 24.6 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still 19.8C in Castlebar currently, nice to have all the windows still open at this hour.

Xenji wrote: »
    Still 19.8C in Castlebar currently, nice to have all the windows still open at this hour.

Exact same temperature in West Clare, although I must admit inside is too warm!

Have remained over 20c for just over 12 hours, that's something I don't recall for a long time.

same windows open here. nice pink sky now at nearly 1010pm. not a breath of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The temperatures are better than what you expect in an average Irish summer and we're not quite yet in the summer season. Today could potentially be the hottest day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lying on top of my sheets in bed and still roasting. May need to install AC for the week of warmth we get every 3 years :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I am not sure why some folks in the east are bemoaning the fact that it didn't get as hot there as it did on this side of the island. I'd much prefer what they had today, as not only was it obscenely warm for the time of year, but also the moisture content of the air (dew point) was incredibly high for the end of May, making for a downright unpleasant experience all around. As a Spanish friend of mine said last year during a similar warm spell, Ireland has an 'ugly heat'. I agreed with him totally.

New Moon

11pm met report

Shannon Airport 19 degrees
    Newport Mayo 18 degrees
    Mace head Galway 18 degrees
    Belmullet 17 degrees(not many nights of the year Belmullet is 17 degrees at 11pm)

Also lovely full Moon low in the eastern sky now. Lovely to stand out and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Lying on top of my sheets in bed and still roasting. May need to install AC for the week of warmth we get every 3 years :p

I have a Dyson Cool fan - 100% worth the investment for these kinds of evenings. Our house tends to get really warm and stuffy even on just vaguely warm evenings, so it gets a lot of use!

• Advertisement

24.8c indoors, windows open but have to listen to an annoying house alarm.

This is just uncomfortable.

Advertisement