Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Light snow here in Ballybrack

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's been snowing here in NW Donegal since I woke up about an hour ago, 3-4 centimetres minimum in total all around with at least double that in places. Red warning justified IMO, I'd say this is the most snow I've seen here and people just aren't used to it. Would be very dangerous to be out in. Visibility worsening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

the south louth coast has a little more powder than yesterday .. continuous powder falling since about 7am but still only about 2cm lying on the ground where the wind hasn't blown it away.

But the wind has not let up since dusk yesterday .. very very windy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Still heavy snow here, i just give up

I'm only starting! On the radar it doesn't look that heavy..you are in a very sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

It's been snowing here in NW Donegal since I woke up about an hour ago, 3-4 centimetres minimum in total all around with at least double that in places. Red warning justified IMO, I'd say this is the most snow I've seen here and people just aren't used to it. Would be very dangerous to be out in. Visibility worsening as well.

and this isn't the storm yet. The amount of people who think the red warning is for the current event - things are going to get very hairy out there & actual blizzards make driving nigh on impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I have to think this reference to "severe thunderstorms" is an awkward phrasing for heavy thunder-snow, correct me if I'm right, but a severe thunderstorm is something that happens in warmer weather than this, drops heavy rain, hail or produces wind gusts that are not occurring more generally. I do think there is potential for some impressive thunder-snow tonight and Friday but would not call that a severe thunderstorm.

On the question of how far north, quite often the precip ends up further north than modelled even when storm tracks are accurate. Occlusions often rotate around and get further north than expected.

There is also going to be a sort of hybrid aspect to this storm, the southern part will be "warm frontal shield snow" and the northern part could be scattered outbreaks of enhanced sea effect, that may obscure how far north the storm's snowfall gets.

Think that orange might have been the better choice for Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal and possibly Cavan/Monaghan but there are strategic reasons to go all red, just in case things move much further north than expected, and to deter people from making travel plans that might be from the marginal warned areas into core red alert areas, especially as the storm is for a Friday and it would be logical to assume that hundreds of people might ordinarily be planning a weekend trip south to Galway or Dublin area perhaps, this might make them cancel those travel plans which would seem like a good thing.

You can never get these things 100% right, either you go too widespread and annoy some, or you try to finesse it and miss an area that needed a warning. Counties as the basis for warnings also presents problems, you might imagine that parts of some larger northern counties would be in red warning territory while other parts may not be. So what do you do in that case? You have to include the whole county.

How blessed are we to have the benefit of this contributor on boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Still heavy snow here, i just give up

Same here, relentless. Getting fatigued with it actually, starting to become inconvenient rather than fun. No longer walking in the snow, but you have to trudge through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Cycling into work from D6 to James's st was....interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 48,164 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unreal amount of snow in East Galway
    Can't get my head around the fact we may get the same again tonight
    Did go a big shop yday as assumed it would be driveable till this afternoon
    I may have been wrong !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Met radar is just stunning at the moment.

The Irish sea has become a snow factory for Leinster!!

light (and sometimes heavy) but consistent snow in Rush, NCD the last 2/3 hours!! and it doesn't look like stopping anytime soon either!

• Advertisement

Another sunny day in Mallow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Lidl open till 3pm according to their twitter

Seems a general posts by tesco, that there open til 2 but no update on individual stores

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My camera caught a car spin, exactly why NOBODY should be out on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Mayo is he same though has a better chance of getting hit later. I think the countrywide red warning was a day or so early in the context of the north west.

I totally understand your frustration but here in Sligo nothing much has been promised either. But since 8am it has been snowing constant ,maybe its light, but its something that has not been shown on any chart
    Correct me if i am wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Met radar is showing nothing over Carlow but its been really heavy since about 7.

Same here in Waterford City but looking at the Sat image shows a constant flow of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Been snowing on and off in Sligo Town, since just after 7am. Estate is a white out. Phone going to be charged, and fire set, incase Emma gives her worst later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is like 1947 with internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Have had four hrs or so of continuous snow now in Waterford ... despite the ME radar showing like we are not getting much... Heavy big flake snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Consistent heavy snow fall in naas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

jamesbere wrote: »
    Anyone know if any supermarkets open today, went to tesco in dennehys Cross and wilton both shut

Lidl Wilton looked open at 8am when I passed. Local FB or ringing around might be the best thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Nothing but blue skys in cork city now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Whiteout D5.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

aw that wee person falling over :( that was like me earlier tho no one to help me get up x

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Missed that! Is there a way to go back and find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Serious overnight lows in this region:

Durrow -9.7c (Stevensons Screen)
    Johnstown -12.1c (Davis Vantage Vue)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Hasn't really stopped in Newbridge since about 7:30/8:00 this morning. Has been blizzard-like at times and Emma hasn't arrived yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

jamesbere wrote: »
    Anyone know if any supermarkets open today, went to tesco in dennehys Cross and wilton both shut

Tesco Wilton opened at 9am for 20 min to allow people waiting at the door to quickly grab stuff. Security confirmed they are closed for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So beautiful!

Also, had a visitor to our back door this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Is this a live feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I'm only starting! On the radar it doesn't look that heavy..you are in a very sweet spot.

Yeah the fun of it has worn off now to be honest, constant streamers rolling in all day yesterday, last night, and now heavy snow falling since 6.30 this morning and the worst is still to come.

Advertisement