Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

dharma200 wrote: »
    First pic is road out of house. Thought I was brave going out to take photos... fell over within 20 seconds. Under the snow it is hard ice. Partner had to drive today am so worried, cannot relax and enjoy the snow till he is home. Kids loving it, red faces frozen hands. This is a status red here whatever anyone says, and from here (Clare) to Galway the roads are just shocking. I cannot fathom why anyone would be like this is hyped. Its like people have no vision outside their own myopic back yard. That people might have to go form one town to another, that your own back yard is not an indicator nationwide. I never thought of weather as being something which really shows people for their own self awareness or lack of.

I wouldnt want to be in met eirann listening to all the gowls who giving out. I wouldnt want to be the one calling the alerts either, because either way you are going to loose, if someone dies and it wasnt called, if someone has heaven forbid to get the kids minded for the day and there is only a cm of snow. I just dont get it. I dont get the whole attitude.
    Anyway hopefully the worst I will have to suffer is a sore knee, and hopefully my partner will be home soon as I am so worried. And hopefully the leccy doesnt go tonight or there is too much snow.

If one more eejit on facebook goes on about other countries getting snow and it not being shut down i swear. Quite enjoying the social media silence of those during the week who were scoffing at my warnings. A few of them now trying to get supplies in like loonies before the shops shut.

The thaw is going to problematic I can already see this around here. Cold and wet thaw is going to be grim. Stay safe people. It might not be bad where you are but it isnt great here. x

28511946_161215711345879_1480569929_n.jpg
    28584286_161215531345897_480527214_o.jpg
    imghost
    Great pictures and finally someone tells it for what it really is.

Same applies to here in blanch. It's very windy and snowing, it would not be a pleasant experience out in those conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

On the Brighter side, I did a snowstorm timelapse of Tuesday night for South Dublin! Really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmJhfmPyyxM

If the blanket red warning saves a single life then it was worth issuing. Sun is out in galway but its still -4 and roads look treacherous. Work made the call to close last night and people instantly started complaining that it's-20 where they are from and people still work. One lad asking if he cycles in can he still access the building, ffs people just stay home, wrap up and enjoy a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

No snow in cork city during the night, sunny and thawing now

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Nearly 20cm in Celbridge north Kildare and still snowing, no downgrade here. This event is really localized so it’s pure look if you get the white gold the last 36 hours, a few km back in some parts of south Dublin very little, enjoy what you have and fingers crosssed for Emma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

gandalf wrote: »
    Bucketing down in Firhouse D24 again :)
    Same up in Ballycullen, firhouse. We always seem to do well with the close proximity to mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    Nearly 20cm in Celbridge north Kildare and still snowing, no downgrade here. This event is really localized so it’s pure look if you get the white gold the last 36 hours, a few km back in some parts of south Dublin very little, enjoy what you have and fingers crosssed for Emma

thats mad.... roads are still clear in Greystones.... only a little falling

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Red level totally warranted here in Donegal. It’s a complete blizzard non stop and that’s before Emma comes anywhere near us. Worst snow we’ve had definitely since ‘82.

The gov were totally right in issuing these warnings. The forecast is the forecast and they have to act on it. If it misses Dublin then it’s hardly anyone’s fault is it??if it hits Dublin like it’s hit Donegal then you’ll be damn glad they took the precautions they did. Anyone complaining to the gov if it doesn’t is a special kind of arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Calibos wrote: »
    Wet Snow is not the downgrade!! The Snow from Emma was always going to be 'Wet Snow'. 1982 was 'Wet Snow'. In fact its better for making snowballs and Snowmen.

The downgrade is precipitation amounts and how far north its looking like Emma will come before she's deflected west by the Beast from the East. ie. She might not even make it to Dublin now nevermind Ulster and the North West.

This is what I thought, that wet snow is our normal type of snow. But I wasn't saying anything as I am no weather expert, thank you for posting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Blizzard like here in Newbridge since about 730ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

oterra wrote: »
    Same up in Ballycullen, firhouse. We always seem to do well with the close proximity to mountains.

Well I'm really in Ballycullen but I call it Firhouse :)

It's making up for the light dusting we got last night now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

I am going to the shop for sun cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Thanks im an an idiot

Do everyone a favour and stop posting about things you don't understand please. You've been on her all week posting misleading garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm just the other side of the Ballycullen Road in D24 and slept with my blind tipped last night. Every time I looked out (which was a lot!) it was snowing. Was expecting much more on the ground than there was when I got up earlier. I think the wind was blowing it away faster than it could accumulate.

Been snowing very lightly since, but, again, not a whole lot of it is actually making it to the ground.

I have to say, having read MT's forecast for today, I'm a little bit disappointed; it doesn't seem like we're going to get the snow I was hoping to see today at all.

Yeh this cold spell has been a massive disappointment for south Dublin :( I thought Thursday Friday would be its saving grace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Anyone know if any supermarkets open today, went to tesco in dennehys Cross and wilton both shut

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

dharma200 wrote: »
    First pic is road out of house. Thought I was brave going out to take photos... fell over within 20 seconds. Under the snow it is hard ice. Partner had to drive today am so worried, cannot relax and enjoy the snow till he is home. Kids loving it, red faces frozen hands. This is a status red here whatever anyone says, and from here (Clare) to Galway the roads are just shocking. I cannot fathom why anyone would be like this is hyped. Its like people have no vision outside their own myopic back yard. That people might have to go form one town to another, that your own back yard is not an indicator nationwide. I never thought of weather as being something which really shows people for their own self awareness or lack of.

I wouldnt want to be in met eirann listening to all the gowls who giving out. I wouldnt want to be the one calling the alerts either, because either way you are going to loose, if someone dies and it wasnt called, if someone has heaven forbid to get the kids minded for the day and there is only a cm of snow. I just dont get it. I dont get the whole attitude.
    Anyway hopefully the worst I will have to suffer is a sore knee, and hopefully my partner will be home soon as I am so worried. And hopefully the leccy doesnt go tonight or there is too much snow.

If one more eejit on facebook goes on about other countries getting snow and it not being shut down i swear. Quite enjoying the social media silence of those during the week who were scoffing at my warnings. A few of them now trying to get supplies in like loonies before the shops shut.

The thaw is going to problematic I can already see this around here. Cold and wet thaw is going to be grim. Stay safe people. It might not be bad where you are but it isnt great here. x

28511946_161215711345879_1480569929_n.jpg
    28584286_161215531345897_480527214_o.jpg
    imghost

A lot of common sense been spoke here.
    This should not be about who issues 'how what where or when.'
    Everybody who has to be on the road today,everybody who dreads if the electricity goes, this is a red alert for all these people.
    So lets move away from the bickering and be thankful that there are people on here and in 'Met Eireann' who are just giving advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Drove from Portlaoise into Monasterevin earlier...main roads while bad are passable,minor roads are treacherous. Serious snow falling here for the last two hours and still -4 and wind has also picked up and it’s not showing on any radar I have looked at.
    While again like ophelia it might not be as bad everywhere in certain locations it’s bad really bad. I haven’t seen snow this heavy since the 80’s. 2010 was bad over a long period but the snow today is seriously heavy and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh this cold spell has been a massive disappointment for south Dublin :( I thought Thursday Friday would be its saving grace

It’s very early on Thursday. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Hours and hours of snow here in Waterford City. About 8cm overnight and still going strong.

Watch live stream from Waterford here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Snowing steadily in Waterford City at the moment. Thank goodness my workplace has shut down today and tomorrow, as the roads on my estate are treacherous. Already one car has skidded into a lampost this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Blizzard near Drogheda since 7am, no let up. Very windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

jobless wrote: »
    thats mad.... roads are still clear in Greystones.... only a little falling

and its pelting down in Bray for over an hour at this stage! Thats as localised as you can get

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

jamesbere wrote: »
    Anyone know if any supermarkets open today, went to tesco in dennehys Cross and wilton both shut

All I can suggest is check the Facebook pages of local supermarkets and you might find out which ones are open.
    I know Tesco in Lucan is open until lunchtime but no idea about out local Lidl or Super Valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

unreal conditions here. sideways drifting snow. can see huge plumes of snow being blown from the fields like smoke. serious wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Vxlks wrote: »
    On the Brighter side, I did a snowstorm timelapse of Tuesday night for South Dublin! Really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmJhfmPyyxM

you're losing some heat out that window

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Met radar is showing nothing over Carlow but its been really heavy since about 7.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

jamesbere wrote: »

Lidl open till 3pm according to their twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still heavy snow here, i just give up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

milosh wrote: »
    and its pelting down in Bray for over an hour at this stage! Thats as localised as you can get

Madness because im in little bray and we've nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Met radar is showing nothing over Carlow but its been really heavy since about 7.

Same here.

I reckon 250mm on the car roof since yesterday evening.

It just keeps coming too.

North Kildare/Wickow.

Advertisement